Fit i'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and my bench is lagging waaaaay behind all my other lifts...

Fit i'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and my bench is lagging waaaaay behind all my other lifts. I'm starting to fail sets at 80 kgs (176 lbs for those of you in the third world), that's fucking sad. What are some accessory lifts I can do to help boost my bench gainz? Should I stop increasing weights on the other lifts until my bench catches up? I don't want to wake up as a centaur tomorrow :(

How much do you squat?

Bumpin' coz I have the same issue, struggling with bench and rows

Tell me about it, I'm on SL too and I'm all over the place... I plateaued for like three weeks on OHP but my squats haven't stopped once.

What's the general rule on imbalances? Should I wait for my other parts to catch up, or just keep going for it?

Oh your shoulders are lagging behind your legs, weird I wonder why

Is that normal? I'm really new to this

Different user: absolutely normal.

Shoulders are small muscles, they're hard to train, OHP is notoriously difficult to get consistent progress with. Legs are large muscles that you use a lot more than overhead work. Not at all unexpected.

Just keep doing what the program tells you to do for the most part. Make sure you're doing your accessories. Adjust your accessories if you're really struggling with certain lifts.

If you have a spotter, load up heavier and get assisted up for when you need it. 80 will feel light after a few sessions.

lol i bench more than i squat and row more than i deadlift

I'm also doing 5x5 and I failed bench reps at 40kg

Are the accessories the things that you add in? I haven't looked into them yet, should I? How do I decide which ones I need?

I'm not doing any accesories is that bad?

Add some DB presses

Are you in a wheelchair? Only way I can explain this.

140 kg (~308 lbs) high bar 3x5 (I had serious trouble improving after 130kg on 5x5 so switched to 3x5)

Thanks breh I appreciate the input

Similar to me.

>Squat 150kg
>Bench 60kg
>OHP 40kg
>Head 60kg

Mostly because I've always done only dumbbells for bench press and never deadlifted or did OHP until recently.

Everybody is different. Consistency is the key to anything though.

Bench better. Bench more. The best way to increase benching is to Bench, there is no magic cure or accessory. Add volume or frequency and stay consistent and never go to failure.

Yeah pretty much. They're the extras rather than your main lifts. So you've got things like bench/rows/ohp/squat/dead. Then you might add some bicep curls and chinups, or some dips and tricep work, some calf stuff. Just to help round out your workouts, or improve development. Depending on which program you're doing, there should be information to help you out. Otherwise, just think of major muscle groups that you could add extra work to. I've suggest a few there. Other useful ones might be rotator cuff work with things like facepulls, lateral delt work like lateral raises etc.

"bad" not really, but it might help you see better progress or faster rates of improvement. Depending on your circumstances they can also potentially be good for preventing injury, by helping fix up weaknesses or isolate issues.

That's cool, but I am so new to this that I have no idea what is weak and what isn't. Does SL 5x5 have any particular weaknesses? I was thinking of adding in some curls, but I also feel like in the first few months I should just focus on the main lifts... is this misguided?

>it might help you see better progress or faster rates of improvement

Really?? I was refraining from them because I didn't want to overtrain

Mirin that squat bro. What's "head"?

>I'm starting to fail sets at 80 kgs (176 lbs for those of you in the third world)

America is a 3rd world country now?

Weighted heads, you dangle plates on your neck while sucking someone off, great for neck gainz.

Overtraining is a meme
It never happens
Just don't do accessories before your main lifts

Typo of dead for deadlift

Breh I hurt my knees and shoulders my first week. Overtraining is certainly not a myth.

Ahh makes sense. 60kg deadlift seems really low for someone who can squat 150 tho.

You bench more than I squat...

If you aren't noticing anything major, you're probably fine, just keep going. At the start, everything's weak. You'll maybe notice after a few solid months of work that some things aren't improving at the same rate as the others or something, and that'll point issues out.

SL is very leg heavy, squats every session, deadlifts frequently. Arm work and shoulder work is highly recommended. Curls, chinups/pullups, tricep dips, and something like tricep extensions/skullcrushers would be good additions. Facepulls would also be useful, just because I'm a stickler for rotator cuff health.

Misguided no, it makes sense, but you could definitely afford to add them in earlier. After a few weeks you should be more than ready to throw in some simple accessories.

Overtraining is much more difficult to achieve than it's suggested to be. You'll notice it long before it really hits. Accessories are highly recommended after a few weeks of consistent work, unless you're really feeling shitty at the end of your workouts.

Nice. Will do chinups for you this Monday, user!

Yeah it's dog shit, like I say it's mainly because my form is fucked and I've been deadlifting maybe 1 week

I've only been lifting 11 months, you must be pretty fucking skinny and new

Sounds good.

If they're too difficult initially, either do them assisted with a machine if you've got one, or do negatives until you're capable of doing proper chinups.

On the other hand I can dlift 75kg.

I am the opposite of leg-day-skippers. I have always walked a lot specially uphills because of home locations, but never trained... nothing. As a result my legs are so fucking big and strong but everything above my waist is skinny and weak. It's pitiful.

I could do 5 with poor form. Maybe 3 with proper form (that is, going ALL the way down until arms are straight). That was before I started training. Let's see how much far I get now.

Very similar, I think it's why my Squat went up so quick.
Bench Press with dumbbells until you need to use a BB, it'll speed up your progress. Generally true of upper body lifts

I already use a BB. I had to correct my form because I really hurt my shoulders the first sessions. My max BP is only 40kg though.

You don't need BB til you hit around 32kg in DBs

You didn't overtrain within one fucking week of lifting. You probably just lifted too much weight or had bad form.

Come to think... I stopped hurting once I checked my forms.

I think I was mistaking overtraining with lifting too heavy and having a bad form.

Although I DID hurt my knees from running on the treadmill. I hit 5k for the first time but my fibula hurt so fucking bad. I never hurt like that running on actual ground. What gives?

Jesus fuck, i thought my lifts were bad after 8 months of lifting. Im sitting at

Diddy: 120 kgs
Squat:110 kgs
Bench: 90 kgs
OHP : 55kgs

Im 5"10 at 166 though

>tfw bench stuck at 205 lb

How about you switch to a bench variation for a while that will probably help

bird mode detected

>Overtraining is a meme

Holyshit I know fit is mostly filled with broscience but I literally laughed. Good luck being dyel and weak af while wrecking youself every week.

I like how you think world class lifters go to the gym every week and go 100% ham. I guess everyone is lying about periodization, peaking, and adaptation. How are you this braindead?

>never go to failure
Why not?

you build better muscle when you don't need a spotter (?)

I'm 90kg / 200lbs and lifted for 8 months too. Mirin' your bench press.

>Diddly: 132,5kg
>Squat: 115kg
>Bench: 75kg
>OHP: 57,5kg

About 7 weeks since I joined the gym, but I played sports since I was young. Stopped after I broke my arm 6 years ago but started being active again. How do you determine your 1 rep max? Just load as much weight as think you could do on the bar?
Last training, for 5 reps each
squat 95kg
Bench 65kg
DL 95kg
OHP: 40kg

>I don't want to wake up as a centaur tomorrow :(

Ahh yes I remember the specific night when my legs doubled in size

nice 3 inch squat rom

Squat: 40>75
Bench + row : 30>62.5
Ohp: 20>42.5
Deadlift :80>107.5
All in kg and 5x5. I didn't start off near max just took a couple weeks easy to get good form

Hows my progression? I've been lifting just on 8 weeks, 6'2 84kg eating about 3600 cal a day

Also remember, most faggots in any gym have a big bench because they train it 4 days a week, even on "leg" day.

Most guys in my gym who bench a lot more than me, can't squat, DL or OHP as much as I can.