How long did it take you to hit 2pl8 bench, Veeky Forums?

Currently at 185x2 after about 6/7 months of lifting, weighing ~168.

If you haven't hit 2pl8 yet, what's your current max BP and how long have you been benching?

Consistently for 5 reps, probably 2 years.
Bench is hard for me as I have long ass arms and my chest just doesn't seem to like making gains.

You will hear half of Veeky Forums got there in 6 months while cutting tho of course.

3 months lifting. My 1max is 90kg. I got long paper arms

4 months 1 rep.
I just do 80kg x 12

Is it just me or 95% of even educated lifters like people on here or reddit does bp very wrong and ends up injuring their shoulders?

reached 5x5 2pl8 bench in 1.5years. didnt really train with strength focus and a lot of the time was spent in the 8-12 rep range before I actually tested if I could do 2pl8 for 5 so yeah couldve probably done it a few months earlier for 1 set.

I think its just you.
Most videos I see of people on reddit and also here, bench with safe form.

Ihope you are right, rotator cuff injury is no joke

95lb max to 2pl8 in one year

Dunno exactly, I got 250 lbs as a max in 9 months. That being said I did a lot of bodyweight stuff for years before, so that may have given me a head start.

You can still injure yourself with "internet good form" because of slight differences in anatomy.I've impinged my shoulder once because of going too low on my chest, with retracted scapula.

Yeah buts its a lot less likely than injuring oneself using all out retard form (elbows flared out at 90 degress, shoulders rolled forward.. etc)

Of course injury can happen to anyone doing anything.

I can get a 2pl8 bench for reps after about 3-4 months of training. My all time 1 rep max at one time was about 250lbs after about 5 months of training, coming from around a 170-180lbs 1 rep max.

You just have to continiously lift more, with more volume, every week. Like say you start at 135lbsx10 for 5 sets, the next week throw 5-10lbs on and do 10 reps for 5 and so on. Throw in some other chest movements to on top of that and eventually 2pl8 will be nothing.

Took me 2 years to get to a 2pl8 bench. I have been on a constant calorie deficit since losing over 100 pounds though. Still, i realize now that my training was shit, and my program was shit. In the last 6-8 months, ive gone from 2pl8 to 295x1. Training in the lower rep ranges is bretty gratifying

>6 months so far
>only at 195lb bench and stalled for 2 weeks

what the fuck is wrong with me

I have an annoyingly big chest and I've been slowly building my arms and shoulders into proportion because I fell for the "bench is all you need for triceps" meme. Finally looking good after 5 years of lifting

I dont try barbell bench press because my autism is to high to ask for a spot. But currently I can dumbell press 75 in each hand for 10 and my max in strict over head press is 155.

Any idea if I could bench 225 with a barbell and spotter guys?

>start hitting chest twice a week.
>Alternate hitting flat BB bench, and DB bench to begin your chest workouts
>train in the 3-5 rep ranges
>do 5+ sets

Started lifting in September couldn't do 200 if my life depended on it. Started doing 160 x 8 then added 10 pounds every three weeks
170 x 12
Then 180 x9 then 190 x 10 then 200 x 5 then 210 x 4 then 220 x 5 then last week I only moved up 5 pounds and got 225 x 5 also did 255 x 1 So about 4 months. Also I did chest twice a week

175 4x5 ive been going for 4 months

I think I'm gonna have to try this. Thinking of starting PHUL this week.

Would that be a bad idea?

I usually do 3 sets of 5. Maybe I'll try for 5x5.

Also the reps after the first set were all always pause reps I swear by pause reps.you get about half as many reps but I'm certain is how I was able to move up 10 pounds so fast

Just bench with safety bars. If they don't have them in the bench press then press in the power cage. There's no need to avoid any of the barbell exercises just because you prefer to work out alone

Im not gonna knock any program, especially if it fits your schedule, but if you're trying to make chest gains specifically, itll probably take a bit more volume to get there. i like to focus on chest twice a week, and from a quick google search of that program, it would be(in my opinion) a bit harder to make emmediate strength gains because youre in between heavy lifting and hypertrophy. Maybe focus on one goal.
As far as the rep ranges. When i start benching i usually do 2 light warmup sets before i get into my working sets.
Usually its something like 12, 12, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 2. This has worked for me, but to each his own.

Okay. I appreciate the advice. I'm guessing you would recommend something like SL more than anything else for me at the moment.

I know it's a shitty alternative but if I do SL, can I swap the deads for rows and mix in leg press with squats? I have herniated discs and the whole fun shit. Trying to keep lifting despite my problem.

At the end of the day, lifting is meant to be fun so do what you actually enjoy. If youre making consistent progress even better. I wouldnt want to sway you one way or another. All my lifts have gone up significantly and consistently in the last 2 years all while being on mostly a brosplit, going to the gym 6 times a week. Its just my chest specifically that had always lagged behind my other lifts so i made an emphasis to train my chest harder and longer, keeping my training consistent with alot more volume. I train the big 4 mostly in the 3-8 rep ranges to keep them progressing, everything else might vary a bit to keep training enjoyable.

I've been lifting for 3 months but I used to do push ups everyday before finding this place.

>1rm = 215 lbs
>4X10 = 170
>weigh 142 lbs

Do I just have better chest strength genetics or something...?

Fair enough. I'll try to take something from that. Appreciate the wise words, user. Hope you make it.

How did you fix this? I think I have the same problem

Brehs. I suck at benching. A couple of months in I fucked up my shoulders with shitty form at 1pl8 3x5 . 2 years later I'm still at 170 3x5 and I have to be extremely careful with my form or else I fuck the shoulder up again and reset any progress. Kmn.

What do? Should I get an MRI or something? PT visit? Minor force at certain bad angles causes pain. ;_;

3 months at 160lbs 5'8

If you have gotten to the point where youve taken enough rest, youve practiced strict form, and consistent pain is still lingering and hindering progress, then you should obviously go to the doctor, user. That is real babby weight though. Have you consistently been gaining weight in that same time? Have your other lifts strongly progressed?

Rows, squats and deads are all fine.

I started out benching with my elbows extremely flared, pushing the bar wayyy above nipple level and without arching my back.

Sometimes I fuck up unknowingly and some tendon thing moves and gets sore/inflamed in my shoulder which causes me to go back 20 pounds. It's like a cycle really. I've been thinking lately that it's a lost cause breh...

i know its boring, but stretching out the shoulders has been so beneficial for me whenever ive had pain.
Just hand on the pullup/chinup bar for 30 secs-1min at a time, alternating grip. It has helped me so much.

3 years, 82,5kg 1RM

Hit 3pl8 squat and 4pl8 deadlift but not even close to benching 2pl8

2 weeks

I just hit 1plate actually :D

routine ?

Did 65kg (150lbs) for 5 reps two days ago. Havent tried to max, just following SL for the time being.
Started 6 weeks ago

It doesn't have shit to do with his routine. It's genetics and technique.

Genetics, just for those wondering, means also proportions such as relative leg to torso length. Biomechanical realities are totally neglected on Veeky Forums, although it is incredibly important
Same goes for ability to recover quickly, cope with stress etc.

Feels bad man. 3 years gere 80kg bw
1rm
115 bench
140sq
185dl
75ohp

How do avoid this if my shoulder roll is so bad I can't rotate them back?

bullshit, anyone can bench 2pl8 for 1 rep in 3 fucking years. even with bad technique and horrible genetics.

3,5 years for 225 5x5 at a bodyweight of 169

I read months, sorry. Yeah 2 plates in 3 years is nothing to write home about

this desu

I haven't even reach 1pl8 yet. I just did 4x4 at 115lb. I'm just weak as fuck.

Took me 1 whole year guys

yeah pretty much same as this guy.
4 years, 225 5x5 at 160

I think after a few years, unless you're really goal-oriented with your bench press, you kind of become more passive because the gains are much slower the longer you lift.

8 months

today did 5x90kg for the first time

im cutting so the process is slow

I'm maxing out at 250 right now
5'9
180lbs

>Is it realistic to think I can make it to 315 in 2017?

SOMEBODY BETTER FUCKING ANSWER ME

year and a half and I'm on 90kg 1rm, spent ALOT of time fucking about with cutting/technique

Some people do user. In high school I weighed 168lb and could bench 225x10 with a 1RM if 270, but my squat on the other hand was bad. I squatted as much as I benched but my squat max was only at 290 when a lot of my class mates were hitting 4plt squat but barely 2plt bench..

Yeah it's very possible with your weight in height, especially if you have t-Rex arms. I'm 6ft 195lbs and my are are long as fuck and I've been stuck at a 295lb max for 6months now. Pretty frustrating, been changing grip, routines, nothing. I don't think I'll ever see 3plt bench unless I hit the juice

couple days

Same here. I remember when I thought 1 pl8 was amazing. Now I'm at 5x5 230lbs and feel like a weak little bitch.

>Long legs and arms that are proportional to something you would see on a taller person but I'm like 5'9.5-5'10

Fucking manklets, pic related

Lela used to be so fine until she got all that surgery done.
>feelsbad

>rep 190 3x5
>have not maxed out

Been lifting two years, benching for 10 months.

(2 years lifitng at 6'2 hit 225 for 12 at 205lbs around 13% BF, bulked for like a year and a half now 267 25% can hit 365 planning to get to 230 around 14 or 15% bf