Can we have a pre-historic thread Veeky Forums? What are some interesting archeological findings...

Can we have a pre-historic thread Veeky Forums? What are some interesting archeological findings? Are they any specific monuments or cultures that we have a decent understanding of.

Other urls found in this thread:

tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/iss/kap_2/articles/development_metals.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_wolf#Two_wolf_haplogroups
polishgenes.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/badasses-of-bronze-age-analysis-of.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This really makes me think

Explain what you're thinking please

>Can we have a pre-historic thread Veeky Forums - History and Humanities?
By definition, I don't think we can, but [spoiler]sure, why not[/spoiler]

>Are they any specific monuments or cultures that we have a decent understanding of?
No, because prehistoric culture is prehistoric - we have no records or information about them other than what we surmise from archeology. Any culture we have a decent understanding of isn't prehistoric.

Most of Southern Europe was still prehistoric until the 9-7th century bc

Most of Western Europe was still prehistoric until the 1st century bc-ad, most of Northen Europe was still prehistoric until the 7th century AD
I've also often read the term "proto-history" when reading about bronze age european culture but I have no idea what it might mean

Do explain

Metal working was discovered by Near Easterners

Is that some sort of revelation?

I sometimes wonder what it was like when different subspecies of humans co-existed. Were there myths and legends about the Other People? Did they have a shared language or any kind of shared culture, or were they completely separate? What would it have been like to coexist with creatures who were smarter than you? I imagine that the relationship between the two species would have been characterized by constant strife and animosity - after all, kin selection is a thing, and resources are scarce, and darwinism is the harshest of mistresses. especially at the top of the food-chain.

[spoiler]Honestly I really mostly just fantasize about ultra-taboo sex with a qt big-forehead waifu.[/spoiler]

Just look at modern America

Neanderthals looked very similar to modern people. I doubt people even saw them as different.

It’s because most of worlds population lived there

Most of Europe was prehistoric until 2000 years ago

>Womens role declined in the Neolithic.

Wouldn't it be the other way around as farm work is more accessible to women than hunting.

>Leave a blank space to the right
>put all color codes on top of a brown background
Who the fuck did this shit

improved

Put legend on the white field.

Is prehistoric really only the absence of written history? The germanic peoples had stories and songs of their history. Would that be considered prehistorical? Is the Iliad prehistorical because it wasn't written down until a few hundred years later?

Yes it's prehistory, history starts when it's recorded

Vinca had writing 5000 BC.

That's proto-writing, not actual writing

Women are shit farmers. Farming is backbreaking work, hunting is leisure in comparison.

Women in neolithic Europe had a higher status than later.

The pic says "status", you can have a really vital role working a lot and have a shitty status.

Women always had high status.

No. Most of the world's urban and agricultural population lived there, but it was a tiny fraction of the overall popilation.

>always thought that ancient Germanic rules are really old and original
>The earliest runic inscriptions date from around 150 AD.
>The runes developed centuries after the Old Italic alphabets from which they are probably historically derived.
Germanics were retards.

Source

That's where you're wrong, buddy. The Old Italic alphabet was developed by Nordics (aka GERMANICS)

Beyoncé

hmm

>The earliest recorded metal employed by humans appears to be gold, which can be found free or "native". Small amounts of natural gold have been found in Spanish caves used during the late Paleolithic period, c. 40,000 BC.[3] Silver, copper, tin and meteoric iron can also be found in native form, allowing a limited amount of metalworking in early cultures.[4] Egyptian weapons made from meteoric iron in about 3000 BC were highly prized as "daggers from heaven".[5]

>An archaeological site in Serbia contains the oldest securely dated evidence of coppermaking from 7,500 years ago. The find in June 2010 extends the known record of copper smelting by about 800 years, and suggests that copper smelting may have been invented in separate parts of Asia and Europe at that time rather than spreading from a single source.[3] In Serbia, a copper axe was found at Prokuplje, which indicates that humans were using metals in Europe by 7,500 years ago (5500 BCE), many years earlier than previously believed.[10] Knowledge of the use of copper was far more widespread than the metal itself. The European Battle Axe culture used stone axes modeled on copper axes, even with imitation "mold marks" carved in the stone.[11] Ötzi the Iceman, who was found in the Ötztal Alps in 1991 and whose remains were dated to about 3300 BCE, was found with a Mondsee copper axe.

I think you're full of shit.

tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/iss/kap_2/articles/development_metals.pdf

I think you're a retard

read this

>women in hunter-gatherer communities
>women are superior and goddesses worshiped by hunter-gatherer men
>women in farming and steppe communities
>women are property and can be bought and sold

Is this really urnfield?
it looks meolithic

This is from 2008.

>The find in June 2010 extends the known record of copper smelting by about 800 years

>urnfield
?
It's Paleolithic.

the oldest crucible for either melting or smelting copper have been found in Catal Huyuk and date back to the 7th millenium bc, read my article, way older than anything similar from Serbia, not to mention that Neolithic Serbians were very closely related to Neolithic Anatolians from Catal Huyuk

Nah that's cavegirl Shakira.

wow Neolithic Anatolians had metal who would have guessed
>using ore as beads is totally metallurgy guys
>our new model suggests metallurgy began because southeast Asians had a desire to adorn the human body in life and death
cringe

>Figure 1. a) the exploitation of copper ores and naturally occurring copper metal
>; b) the spread of copper smelting technology
good job misrepresenting your own evidence

>*unified*

Earliest example of metal working is from the Near East
>The earliest known cast lead beads were found in the Çatal Höyük site in Anatolia (Turkey), and dated from about 6500 BC
The earliest bronze-working is from the Middle East
>The earliest bronze artifacts so far known coming from the Iranian plateau in the 5th millennium BCE.[7]

b) the spread of copper smelting technology

It's still completely different from your retarded map and starts in the Middle East and Neolithic South Eastern Balkans, and spread to South Europe before than to Central Europe

What the consensus on atlantis? Has plato just screwing with us? Have any serious attempts to find anything been done?

Menhirs are the best.

Seems the authors are making quite a bit of guess works and assumptions with their paper. They are discarding the independent discovery of coppers/metallurgy infavor of diffusion theory.

The glaring problem with their theory is at the far edges, the coppers supposedly reach around 2000 BCE. But archealogists have founds copper tools and mining work dating around mid 4000 BCE.

So if the spread did happen, it would have to have happened fairly fast. However that might pose problems for finding evidence to support the existence of coppers inbetween. That might put the theory to stop.

that's arsenical bronze
>The earliest tin-alloy bronze dates to 4500 BCE in a Vinča culture site in Pločnik (Serbia).[9]
haha fucking Serbia

My god, no it's a fucking myth get over it

It existed before the great flood somewhere. The last great flood happened sometime 12,000 years ago when one of the ice sheaths on antartica fell into the sea and the sea levels rose around 500 meters.

Fake news. Atlantis has too much evidence to discredit so easily.

It was either a myth or Minoan Crete.

Indo-Europeans weren't Germanics you dumb fucking cunt.

>starts in the Neolithic Middle East and Balkans
what a concession, I'll just keep saying Anatolia
>The earliest substantiated and dated evidence of metalworking in the Americas was the processing of copper in Wisconsin, near Lake Michigan. Copper was hammered until brittle then heated so it could be worked some more. This technology is dated to about 4000-5000 BCE.[4]

>Vinca

So near Easterners

>itz akshually Indo-Germanic not Indo-European, fuck you SJW, everyone in Europe speaks Germanic dialects

So was troy.

not particularly, where did you get that idea?

>The origins of the Vinča culture are debated. Before the advent of radiocarbon dating it was thought, on the basis of typological similarities, that Vinča and other Neolithic cultures belonging to the 'Dark Burnished Ware' complex were the product of migrations from Anatolia to the Balkans. This had to be reassessed in light of radiocarbon dates which showed that the Dark Burnished Ware complex appeared at least a millennium before Troy I, the putative starting point of the westward migration. An alternative hypothesis where the Vinča culture developed locally from the preceding Starčevo culture—first proposed by Colin Renfrew in 1969—is now accepted by many scholars, but the evidence is not conclusive.[11][12]

>There are different opinions about the ethno-linguistic origin of the people of Starčevo culture. According to one opinion, Neolithic cultures of the Balkans were of non-Indo-European origin[9] and Indo-European peoples (originating from eastern Europe) did not settle in this area before the Eneolithic period. According to other opinions, Neolithic cultures of the Balkans were also Indo-European[10] and originated from Anatolia, which some researchers identified with a place of origin of Indo-European peoples.[10] These differing theories are termed the Kurgan hypothesis and the Anatolian hypothesis (see also; Proto-Indo-European Urheimat hypotheses).

>In human remains of Starčevo culture in four investigated samples (Lipson et al., 2017) were found three different Y haplogroups: H2, G2a2a1 and G2a2b2b1a. Also there were found four different mtDNA lineages: T1a, N1a1a1, K1a4 and W5. All male and female lineages correspond to those that were found in European Neolithic farmers.

Such as?

All the channelers that say its real.

Their autosomal DNA is almost identical to that of neolithic anatolians

It's true
>Europe suggested a genetic discontinuity in Central Europe and favored instead of a process of Neolithic transition through a demic diffusion model (DD) [14–15]: this view was based on a high frequency of the N1a haplogroup (about 15%) in the farmers [15], absent in hunter-gatherers in this same region [11] and almost nonexistent (0.2%) in the present-day European populations [15]. On the other hand, these first farmers shared an affinity with the modern-day populations from the Near East and Anatolia, supporting a major genetic input from this area during the advent of farming in Europe [15].
> great wave of migration from the Middle East led to important cultures of South-Eastern Europe such as Vinča and Boian cultures [28].
>A 2010 study of ancient DNA suggested the population had affinities to modern-day populations from the Near East and Anatolia, such as an overall prevalence of G2.[23] The study also found some unique features, such as the prevalence of the now-rare Y-haplogroup H2 and mitochondrial haplogroup frequencies.[23]

>three different Y haplogroups: H2, G2a2a1 and G2a2b2b1a
G2 is a haplogroup most common among neolithic farmers from the near East. They came from Anatolia. They were probably related to people who built Çatalhöyük.

>which some researchers identified with a place of origin of Indo-European peoples
Anatolian origin of Indo-Europeans is a dead theory.

>Anatolian origin of Indo-Europeans is a dead theory.
Okay, maybe not "dead", but there is more evidence of Pontic Steppe origin.

I was under the impression that G2a came out of the Caucasus, which is close enough to Anatolia for my blood.

I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Anatolian neolithic and balkan neolithic are basically identical, Vinca came straight out of Anatolia

Haplospergs should be banned from this board.

>Germanics were retards.
Nah, it's the opposite. The small-skulled and small-brained s*mitic sw*Rthoids created alphabet because they were retards. They had weak memory and needed notes to remember basic things.

While the unmixed big-brained Nordic man had such a great knowledge and memory that he didn't need semitic inventions.

This is pathetic, why the fuck must he invade every thread? I can't stand this fucking autist

Just ignore him.

>that WHG outlier
I've heard it said atDNA is subject to degradation over time, like over the space of 5 centuries. Is that true?

*blocks your path*
pshh, nothing personel m*Doid

Malta temple, 3600-2500 bc

hol up

Sorry, my m*Doid friend. But if you make a thread about prehistory, you must be sure that Nordic migrations would be mentioned too :)

Malta sculptures

Malta Hypogeum 3200-2600 bc

Nice map of Balto-Slavo-Iranic people. I don't see any Germanic monkeys anywhere though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_wolf#Two_wolf_haplogroups
>DNA evidence indicates that the dog, the modern gray wolf (above) and the now-extinct Taimyr wolf diverged from a now extinct wolf that once lived in Europe.
>Early mitochondrial DNA analysis indicated that if the dog had descended from the modern gray wolf then the divergence would have occurred 135,000 YBP.[7] Two later studies using whole genome sequencing indicated divergence times of 32,000 YBP[43] or 11,000-16,000 YBP,[8] with the assumed mutation rate "the dominant source of uncertainty in dating the origin of dogs."[8]

>Indo-Germanic means "Indian or Germanic"

Sculpture of the mother goddess from Malta

Corded Ware culture was Nordic :)

I'd rather trust Davidski than some larper, you know.

polishgenes.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/badasses-of-bronze-age-analysis-of.html

They were R1a and to a lesser degree R1b NORDICS.