Professionals and Weightlifting

Does anyone here work 70-80 hours a week/work in a stressful as fuck profession and lift weights?

I'm thinking of getting into corporate law but the hours are a hard 80. Dunno how anyone could realistically do both.

what kind of job requires 80 hours/week? can't they just hire more people?

corporate law, investment banking, pretty much all the good jobs paying 160-200k starting.

is it even worth it if youre working 80 hours a week though

how many days a week?

5 days a week.

fuck no but i realized a long time ago i'm doomed to a life of angst and alcoholism as i contemplate wasted dreams and bury away the last ideas of doing something good for the world, so i might as well do it in style.

Unlikely, my brother is in banking and works that easily. No way in hell you dream of gyming when you get let out and have to rush home to get 4 hours sleep, nor do you get to est very well.

At most surrender exercise for a few years until you can reduce your hours but still have a good job.

Lots of us. The best part of the day is the gym.

M&A lawyer here, it is hard but manageable to work out regularly (2-3 times a week in my case + i run every other day but that is because my firm has a fitness room)

damn... i won't do shit except for probably self-loathe on the weekend so maybe there's time then.

can you get workouts in between working hours? i'm pretty use to running/hitting the gym around 5ish and going back to do work at 7-8 anyways.

>starting

No. Also, investment bankers earn less per hour than McDonald's employees. It's just that they get an opportunity to work more for more money, which McDonald's employees don't get, since they're eventually forced to go home.

big firms are easily 150k+ starting.

investment bankers also make bank, but with insane hours. you're off you're rocker if you cannot do the math on 80 hours a week / 100k or something a year.

>Also, investment bankers earn less per hour than McDonald's employees

what? youd have to be making like 30-40k a year working 80 hours a week to make as little as a mcdicks worker as an investment banker and thats straight up retarded

would you rather make 160 working 80 or 80 working 40. and honestly how rich do you think you are going to get working for someone else. and why would you go to law school chasing a big law job that you probably will not get while going hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt. why does anyone do anything anyway.

nigga 160k is starting, and it rises every year. pretty much everyone going to a top 14 law school gets a corporate law job anyways.

i'd fucking hate it of course like any job, but a chance to make 200k+ is pretty decent until i hit whatever midlife crisis and contemplate packing it all up and moving to a mountain in nepal doing calisthenics/lifting boulders and meditating like buddha all day.

% of graduating students going to top 100 law firms
1) Columbia Law School, 52.26%

2) University of Pennsylvania Law School, 52.23%

3) University of Chicago Law School, 52.04%

4) Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, 47.02%

5) Duke Law School, 46.19%

6) New York University School of Law, 44.54%

7) Cornell Law School, 41.34%

8) University of Virginia School of Law, 40.87%

9) Stanford Law School, 40.72%

10) University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 38.13%

so you have to be in the top half of your class at one of the best schools in the country at minimum, and you be paying 60k per year for three years in order for the 50% chance(or worse) that you will get a job making 160k. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Between work and school I average about 75 hours a week outside the house. The best I've managed to get in is a 30 minute jog outside my apartment. If you have a nice home gym you could get something going. I hope you like coffee and/or sips though because the energy reqs are going to be hell.

>Does anyone here work 70-80 hours a week/work in a stressful as fuck profession and lift weights?

Nope, thankfully I realized early on that my freedom and peace of mind is way more valuable to me than any amount of money I could earn working for a firm or practice.

Fortune 500, lawyers, any job where you are the one in charge.

Generally speaking, people who go for jobs that make a lot do put in a lot. Contrary to what popular news would have you believe.

>get a wife, kids and big player job
>just do a push/pull 2 days a week on weekends

could at least maintain your physique

>150k per year
>52 weeks per year
>80 hours per week
>36 bucks an hour

and that's on the low end for IB

any reason why harvard and yale aren't on this list? because of political aspirations?

This. Sounds terrible. I make good money and rarely work over 40 hours. Stop.

I'm a Firefighter and I work between 72-96 hours a week and still find time to lift, even on shifts when I'm out nonstop and don't sleep at night, you just gotta do it when there's time

This right here.

wageslave/businessfucker here

80-95 Hour weeks
No education
2 fulltime jobs with OT
sleep and social life take the biggest hits

If you want to lift weights, you need to realize that it will take over a year training at least twice a week for and hour to get anywhere impressive. I would start with a minimalist program like this:

AxxBxxx

Squat 3x5
Bench/OHP (alternating) 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin-ups for reps

Start with a weight that you can control and add 2.5 - 5 lbs a workout. Add warmup sets as needed.

If you can do this for a few months, you will be ready to add more complex programming. If you can't do this for a few months, you have no business trying to lift weights.

>working more than 35 hours a week

lmfao. I'm a software engineer, I work "40" hours a week. I take an hour lunch every day. I show up to work at 10 am and leave at 5:30 pm. I make $107k at my current job. get cucked biz fags.

Training isn't the hard part.

Food is.

Law of any kind means the first few years you won't have the money to have someone else prepare it. If you've got someone who will do it for free, you'll stand a shot.

I work at a jail I make 43k a year. It can be stressful I guess.

>You will never be a cop.
>You will never be a fireman.
>You will never be in the army.
>You will never work in a factory with heavy machinery.
>You will never get to bro up with you colleges whom you don't hate with every bit of your being.
>You will never have a job that encourages or requires you to be fit and stronk.
>You will never have a job that actually benefits your fitness level.
>You will settle for the wage slave life of cucks in suits letting you life waste away as your hairline recedes from stress and your hair falls out.

>Does anyone here work 70-80 hours a week/work in a stressful as fuck profession and lift weights?

Stan Efferding did for most of his life. He has a youtube chanel now, shares a lot of his experiance.

Fireman/Paramedic here user. It's not anything it's cracked up to be

I work in film. Sometimes, very rarely, I've been touching 80-90 hours per week. But the weeks that I've done so, I haven't had any time for anything else. Except on weekends of course.

a job that benefits you physically is pleb shit reserved for the proletariat

t. Numale

>electrician
>choose my own hours
>sometimes work 4 hours a day
>still make >40k

Wellbeing > money anyday

jesus christ what pissed you off, drop the keys to your moms basement?

if you have to spend that much time working, what's the fucking point? i'd rather just work the regular 40hrs a wk and make 65-100k

How are you gonna send your kids to college?

some people live for work I guess

I wouldn't want to work 40h but freelance is tougher than a fixed position

I'm in grad school and writing my thesis alongside a couple of articles. I do data analysis and work roughly 100-140 hours a week. I go to the gym 4 times a week, do daily cardio and can even squeze some socializing in there (outside of research). I'm also rich as fuck mostly because my only hobby that takes money is cycling, and once you have spent 10k in it, you pretty much are set in terms on high end gear. The uni gym is free to use, whey is not expensive and you can be smart about food.

I'd say that if I hated my job, I would have committed sudoku years ago. It fucking sucks unless you are committed into your field 100%.

>Not having a deadlift platform-standing ergonomic desk

Might as well hire a personal injury lawyer yourself and start defending getting bitch all over the office.

i'm doing my internship in a top 5 european law office and i have only one thing to tell you :

don't do it

you won't be able to commit to lifting, you will be stressed as fuck, and if you stay your wife will leave you and kids hate you.

I dont undestand how i am one of like, 4 professional athletes on all of Veeky Forums. Only one on fit afaik. Why are like 99% of you all here have huge interest in athletics and strength, but not good enough to play a sport for money? Is this a new interest for most of you i guess, and you all didnt play any sport as a kid i gueas?

it is hard to be good enough to become a professional athlete... you should know

i played football and wrestled all throughout hs, but i wouldn't want to do that shit for a living. so i just lift and play club rugby now.

you have to really LOVE the sport to take it past high school level

What do you mean "getting into" corporate law? I'm in corporate law and it's not like you just walk in off the street and decide to do it.

And it's not really 80 hours, more like 50-60 on average.

And yes, I continue to lift. You can always find a few hours.

>kids
Hehe yeah right
Let's force more kids into this world to be controlled by this jewish corporatocracy

Not a professional but thinking about going back to school full time and working full time in the spring, so I'm dreading losing my gains.

Just wake up 90 minutes early a couple times a week and workout then. Saturdays and Sundays can obviously be a bit longer.

I work 60-90 hours a week and it's totally doable.

I drive 3,000 miles/week and manage to get into the gym 3xweek.

Pic:van wert, Ohio anytime fitness

Construction Estimator here

I work 70-80 hour weeks excluding the 1 hour each way it takes to get to work.

I have even had to bring work home over my Christmas break to ensure my tenders are under control.

I earn 140k but I have no time for anything. I try and scrape a 40 min gym session during my lunch breaks but all of my co workers give me shit.

I am going to be looking for a new company with less hours and I dont care if I take a salary decrease.

My advice is don't work so much that your personal life suffers. It's horrible.

>image sideways
Anyway ya I work 70 on paper and another 20 off paper. I manage to get it in.

>Why are like 99% of you all here have huge interest in athletics and strength, but not good enough to play a sport for money?
What? The best football players I knew in hs that could easily bench 225 10-15 times barely even made AA college programs not to even mention the pros. I think theres like 1 or 2 pros that even came out of my hs all time.

>romanticizing factory work

yeah, because working swing shift 50-60 hours a week and coming home from work too tired to do anything is the epitome of fitness

t. someone who worked in a factory for 3 years

100-140 hours a week from grad school or grad school + work?

>associate
that doesn't mean starting.

Just saying, working in CL/IB wrecks havoc on your body and mental health. My room mate worked for JP Morgan for 2 years and then at Rothschild for 5 years, the latter of which is nowhere near as demanding at the top tier banks like GS, and he literally had to take anti-narcolepsy medication during his time there to make sure he got enough work done. Sometimes when I say things to him he doesn't realise that I've said them. It's like he kinda just fades out for a few seconds while making coffee or whatever and can't really process anything. He works out really hard now as well since he left Rothschild to finish his PHD, he plays intense sports 4 times a week for 2 hours each time and runs 5 miles every day he doesn't. Even with all of this, and knowledge that he played it a lot smarter than some of his work colleagues who were all taking shitloads of coke at the time, his mind is pretty fucked up from having to work that hard. As he puts it, "your body goes into this weird sense of survival mode, it knows it shouldn't be doing what it is, but it's doing what it has to in order to survive. You aren't, nor your body is, thinking about the consequences."

>t. someone who worked in a factory for 3 years
Isnt that shit pretty dangerous? A guy I know told me about watching one of his best friends head get crushed by a big piece of metal or something. It really fucked him up.

A first year associate is a starting position, you ding dong.

>implying "corporate law" is Veeky Forums

Not that anyone on Veeky Forums has a legit Veeky Forums job, but people in finance work 8-4, take the first 1.5 hours to eat breakfast and bullshit while they catch up on news, also get an hour lunch, leave at 4pm sharp every single day, never have to work holidays, weekends, or overtime, get paid fucking several hundred K, and ON TOP OF ALL THAT, they have mandatory vacation time.

I think you'll see who's the one getting cucked next time a major project is coming to a close and they pressure you into working 80 hr weeks for no extra pay since you're salaried.

I work 70-90 hour weeks in IB. I gym before work so I'm not tired
Not that bad desu

i'm english so we might have a different system, but here junior associate != associate
>people in finance work 8-4, take the first 1.5 hours to eat breakfast and bullshit while they catch up on news, also get an hour lunch, leave at 4pm sharp every single day
t. someone who has never experienced the financial sector

i really wish i went into IT instead of finance

yeah. ive got a scar on my arm from a burn. came very close to having my hand crushed to nothing in an EXTREMELY large hydraulic press. every 10-20 years someone dies or gets severely injured.

I love it. I literally get a high from working long hours, it gives me a rush. Back when I was in uni I would study as many subjects as I could and work 60 hour weeks as a cook

not being a neet? gtfo

80hrs/week, commodities at GS.

it's rough sometimes, and im very aware that I would be much healthier if I worked in a different profession. that said, I generally work out monday, thursday, saturday and sunday. I HAVE to skip days in the middle of the week in order to conserve energy and get enough sleep.

banking/finance/etc is tough but it comes down to time management. need to have every minute count, and to some degree you need to like stress

well I mean this is somewhat true, most finance/banking jobs have bullshit time build in. its only during your first 1-3 years that you are actually working 17 hrs day.

while it isn't as clear cut as said, I know that I make my own hours so long as my job gets done and done damn well. most finance jobs are like this really