Mark Rippetoe Appreciation Thread /MRAT/

There's been a lot of hate on Mark Rippetoe and SS lately. Let's change that. A man that once owned this body must have some knowledge of weightlifting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZInJXUPnsZU
jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not really Rip people hate, it's his autistic fanbase.

But thats not him.

That's Jim pendlay you idiot

See this forced meme always fails because it's easy to prove it is actually him.

Behold the greatest lifting program ever.

A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

B:
3x5 Squat
3x5 The Press
5x3 Power Clean

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

I have unironically been doing this for a year and a half of bulking amd cutting.

Last 1rm check at 170.

Deadlift 455
Squat 365 (shit i know for all this time)
Bench 275
Standing Barbell Overhead The Press 175
Powerclean 205x3 (never maxed this lift. Just working sets)

now im starting my cut for summer to get the body of my dreams.

I followed SS for some time then started improvising but always following the template. Granted, Im dyel by fits standards but im still proggresing on all my lifts.

You forgot Chin-Ups! They are in the program!

Time for some Quotable Rip.

Hwat?!

Yep, that is a screenshot of Rip's "Mr. Gravity" book. Per Rip, walking for an hour a day is NOT cardio and isn't even worthy of consideration when balancing a program.

Be fit enough to walk for an hour a day or you'll make Rip disappointed.

those exercises combined with the volume are for strength, not muscle mass and asthetics, just saying.. if u wanna "bulk" and "cut" u should be doing a split routine

its all about pushing more weight when u do SS or SL.. cutting is obviously gonna inhibit your progress...

his material is good and useful, altho i unironically think that he and his fanbase are full blown sociopaths/psychopaths

>Of course that can only be applied to people who actually lift

Post yfw you realize that Rip made up the greatest Veeky Forums meme of all time.

That's Roger Estep. You stupid fucking twat.

>tfw can finally press by bw after a little more than a year
I hope I made rip proud

>posting old man rip rather than in his prime
i seriously hope you guys don't do that

>I'm smarter than google

was doing texas method but started getting sick last thursday, so my 1x5 on friday was totally fucked. got way sicker by saturday, and yesterday i recovered. today i feel a lot better, but seeing as how it's monday, i have to do a 5x5, ideally based off my new 5rm - which i couldnt hit on friday because i was sapped.

should i just go in today and try to hit the 5x5 i did last monday?

How old are you? I ask because Rip has said anyone other than young 20 's powerlifters should avoid the Texas method and do the split instead.

22.. i mostly do olympic weightlifting. i think i sacrificed a lot of early strength gains to practice technique. my technique is pretty good, and what limits me is actually strength all around.

Please show where he said this.

Anyone got a real picture of Rippletits from his competetive days? Can't find shit on google.

youtu.be/ZInJXUPnsZU

Go to 1:45

probably because texas is pretty demanding, so it's best left to younger people with a better ability to recover?

it makes intuitive sense. but anyways, doesn't really matter to me since i'm not old.

can someone advice?

i'll probably just try to hit the 5x5 i hit on monday, and if i can't, i'll just drop 10lbs and restart. i'll have lost some progress, sure, but i'll try to make up for it on friday's new 1x5rm

does this sound reasonable?

Do the same for roger estep

Here's Rip hitching a deadlift

Try Wikipedia.

So if I'm not a powerlifter in my young 20s I should not do TM?

>substitute power clean with pendlay rows
Am I throwing out my gains by doing this, guys?
I don't care about display of power, I don't want to powerlift I'd rather have a stronger upper back and lats.

not him

It's fine.

i dont think its about the "display" of power, but rather that actually producing a high rate of power will greatly carry over to the main lifts

That's what he just said. Per Rip, only young power lifters and weight lifters should do the Texas method. Everyone else should do the four day split routine found in Practical Programming.

Are you managing to recover from it? Yes ? Go ahead make those gains, no or you're hurting yourself go for the 4 day split.

One word:

Legend.

>middle aged 40+
>20s

Does anyone on Veeky Forums have basic reading and listening comprehension?

The Texas Method was designated for 23 year olds...

- Rip

Do you even listen?

For those wondering, actually is Rip deadlifting, not memeing.

Here he is squatting. This is at least 250kg, but we suspect more since the first two plates do not look like 20kg/45lbs plates, but rather 100lbs plates.

By first two I mean one on each side.

That's Jorma Räty you dickweed.

Walking for an hour isnt working out dude. If you think it is, you are dyel as fuck.

You know rip only had a 450 wilks at his peak?

His best lifts were:

611 Squat - 622 got 2 red lights, one depth and one politics

397 bench - easy lift as his foot slipped on the second attempt

633 deadlift

Interesting. Sauce?

Not him but it's on SS forums and heaps of interviews and articles done by rip.

Its on the SS forum, but i really wanna know what he Pressed

ez high 200s

lol why are his lifts a joke? franco colombu was 5'5, didn't train for strength, won olympia twice, and still outlifted him by a large margin.

The difference is the dose of steroids.

also franco did a lot of strength training

tyvm

>franco colombu didn't train for strength

also implying being short is detrimental to powerlifting.

Franco roided, powerlifted a lot and was 5'5

Rip roided. Dosages would have been different like throwing a bullet is different to shooting it out of a gun.

holy shit that guy off to the right is the one they always meme about looking like shit but he looks great.

ugh guys thats roger estep LOL XDDDDDD

BASED

JUST

> implying that all those images are of one person.
> not knowing who Roger Estep is
> posting on a fitness forum

How long have you been lifting fatso?

>actually falling for the bait

Rips lifts were good. Francos were better admittedly, but Franco had better genetics, roided more, powerlifted and was a lot shorter.

trolled softly

>The difference is the dose of steroids.

Rip has admitted to roiding. It doesn't change the validity of what he says but given his abject failure to learn basic physics re: deadlift and squat leverages and his middling lifts I'd say that anyone past the novice stage should probably be seeking information from elsewhere.

You're an idiot

this user here.. managed to get through today's workout as planned. instead of doing the 10lb jump on squat as i had planned, i instead did 5lb. not bad, as it's still progression. could have totally hit what i had planned if i had not gotten sick.

:!

this is funny

columbu was 5'5 and mark is 5'8. that height difference is nothing for ROM but the muscle fiber lengths still offers some marginal additional strength, even if it isn't all that much.

but again, columbu wasn't a powerlifter. he doesn't look like eddie hall. he trained to be as well rounded in every regard as possible. i'm sure if he trained exclusively to lift as heavy as he could, franco would still have lifts nearing or among world records.

>New so hard muh fuckas wanna fine me.

>that height difference is nothing for ROM

ROM is only determined by height, and 3 inches is a significant difference.

Bodybuilders can be strong and usually the elite ones are. Doesn't mean that we should take their advice.

Mark Rippetoe has trained lots of novice trainees and hes friends with Jim Wendler and other elite lifters. If those elite lifters respect him, his advice is legitimate.

>"strength" "coach" whose "specialization" is novice training

Why should I do this instead of this

Monday
Hi Bar Squat 3×8-12
Bench Press 3×8-12
Deadlift from 3” Blocks 3×8-12
Chest Supported Rows 4×10-15
Walking Lunges 2×12
Pushups 2×10-15
Back Raises 2×10-15

Wednesday
Front Squat Squat 4×8-12
Widegrip Bench Press 4×8-12
Cable Rows 4×10-15
Leg Press 2×10-15
DB Incline Bench 2×10-15
Good Morning 2×10-15

Friday
Bench Press 4×8-12
RDLS 4×8-12
Lat Pulldowns 4×10-15
DB Step Ups 2×6
DB Military Press 2×10-15
Back Raises 2×10-15

Saturday
Box Squat 4×8-12
Closegrip Bench 4×8-12
One Arm DB Rows 4×10-15
Goblet Squats 2×10-15
Incline Pushups 2×10-15
Good Mornings 2×10-15

SS has chin ups. Dips are a valid assistance exercise in the program.

There is a version with a fourth set of 8 reps for more volume. Just do it on the upper body lifts, add curls and chest isolation and youre good, as each muscle is equally worked.

Because you got a ridicilous amount of volume.
-You got 18 sets a week on trices and barely anything for bices.
-Beginners usually doesnt have the flexibility to do proper good mornings
-Step ups are gay. So are goblet squats
-Why do you need som many variations of the same lift?
-After youve adapted to that amount of volume what are you going to do next? Increase the volume even more?

Why are you doing an intermediate/advanced program if youre on a beginner level? at least do a common PP or PPL

>Why are you doing an intermediate/advanced program
It is beginner program
jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/

>After youve adapted to that amount of volume what are you going to do next?
Cut accessories and increase intesity in main exercises, of course.

>Step ups are gay
No, you are gay, step ups are fine, Joe DeFranco recommends

Step ups are still gay. Unless its for rehab.

>fart

TM got too much squat and no deadlift, fuck his squat fetish, he wants you to become a t-rex.

i need to see some more juicy rip pics

> he wasn't a powerlifter

waste of time and poor programming for a novice

It's true mark is a fatass now and looks like dyel shit and gives garbage advice, but he looked pretty damn ripped in his younger days man.

Why I should listen you and not Chad Wesley Smith?

>BECAUSE MUH "STRENGHT" NOT GAINING FAST!!!

Why haven't you just switched to the Texas Method? It would better suit your level of training.
Am I being baited?

>Thats Roger Estep

>After youve adapted to that amount of volume what are you going to do next? Increase the volume even more?

TO INFINITY! 8 HOUR BICEPS WORKOUT CMOOONNNN

user, pls post pics. I've always wondered what somebody who continues SS would look like, and you could settle a lot of Veeky Forums memery right here.

Also, if estatting, I won't even be mad; just post actual stats.

>there are literally children hitting 670lb squats for reps

>After youve adapted to that amount of volume what are you going to do next? Increase the volume even more?
Not him but what else would he do? That is literally the foundation for lifting weights, lift until your body is forced to grow.

That's Roger Estep you fucktard. Why are people are this board so stupid?

>Standing Barbell Overhead The Press?
You mean The Press?

autistivittuun

You shouldn't

You should do his program, waste a big chunk of your day on it, drop it 5 months in then cry on Veeky Forums about how you're not making progress in both strength and size and that you suspect you're low test

then you'll know better

tell em y u mad tho newdyel

yfw mark rippetoe was actually black when he was younger

>fart

I've been fucking around in the gym for 2 years, i put on 10 kg of muscle and i get a lot of compliments for my aesthetics daily. My lifts are shit tho. Not even 1\2\3\4. Should i do SS? Am I considered a beginner?