Deadlift low back pain

So I have posted a form check video on here before as well as tried many solutions to correct my form.

I had gotten to the point where I feel there's literally no more form modifications left. No matter what I do there's pain after deadlifting, or is there?

I've been told a couple times I could be overextending at lockout which leads to a hyperextending injury of the low back.

I've searched deadlift lockout form cues and there's a lack of consensus

1. rippetoe/starting strength and medhi/stronglifts says to lockout by "driving hips forward"
2. others say to lockout by "squeezing glutes as the bar passes knee, when you can clinch your glutes together anymore, you're locked"

I must say that driving hips forward form cue is probably what's causing my lower back pain. There's literally no reason to do this. After trying the glute squeeze cue, my low back feels much better but it could be a fluke as I've only been able to pull from 3" blocks lately.

There's so much conflicting advice on the finer points of each big lift and each one of these points cause me pain in different ways and don't work and because they conflict it tells me they don't actually know the right answer.

So, fit, which form cue to lockout deadlift is the right answer, is it a or b,

>a. drive hips forward to lockout
or
>b. squeeze glutes until they won't squeeze anymore to lockout

??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S6hCDN4pR0o
youtube.com/watch?v=yFv2Qbd4JhA
youtube.com/shared?ci=u9eQ5PMDRuM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

try doing sumo instead of regular dl

I'm not looking for a deadlift varient alternative I've extensively performed every deadlift varient known to man. Now answer the question.

I dunno senpai, but I did recently injure my lower back too and I'm on my second day of rest. I made the mistake of continuing to work out (though it didn't really hurt) after my injury and I think I've simply elongated my recovery time.

That said, you're supposed to use your legs (hamstrings) to come up and then when the bar is at your knees, you use your back I think. Then it turns into a thrust when the bar is up at hip-level

The problem I have with the hip thrust is it's extremely easy to put your back into an overextended position. It also serves no purpose whatsoever I can get the bar to a standing tall position without either form cue. But squeezing glutes lockout cue pretty much prevents me from overextending.

Do you know what happens when you squeeze your glutes together? Your hips go forward. What you were doing is purposely over extending your back, which is retarded. When you finish a deadlift, you should be standing up, with you shoulders back, and your back in neutral, not hyper extended.

Post form video here idiot

No that's incorrect. The squeezing glutes until they won't squeeze more doesn't only bring you hips forward it specifically brings your hips forward while simultaneously halting them from coming forward so far as to put your back into an overextended position which is an insipidly easy thing to do if you're cue'ing "hip thrust" while you got hundreds of pounds in your hand.

Yeah, I agree that the hip thrust can be form compromising. This guy

makes it sound like it's easier to do if you focus less on trying too hard to perform a thrust and instead try to focus on squeezing your arse muscles to achieve the same outcome with less of a risk of overextending the back

You know what, fuck deadlifts. This is the second time I've injured myself with them, I'm not sure if they're worth it anymore

1. Rack pulls will involve more back and less leg drive and improve grip.
2. Get someone *trained* in proper dlift form to watch you.
3. Practice perfectly... if you continue to make errors consistently, they won't go away.
4. Use the "diamond bar".. it mimics the dlift without all the back stress so you will get stronger without strain.
5. Leg press... the movement doesn't help squats, but it helps dlift.

>pay me.

I'm not asking for personal form advice retard I'm asking which lockout cue is correct a or b it can't be both if you don't know the answer you can't even begin to critique my form you shit eating faggot

I'd like to see a form vid

Youre hurting your back doing deadlifts, it's not a lockout queue it's your fucking form.
You realize when you squeeze you glutes your bringing your hips forward right?

They're the same thing idiot, and I guarentee you it's a form issue because you would know of you were over extending your back during lockout

>You realize when you squeeze you glutes your bringing your hips forward right?
I literally just said that you braindead retard but there's one gigantic fucking difference

1. glute squeeze lockout prevents your hips from coming forward too far unless you're doing something utterly retarded lilke hip thrusting
2. hip thrusting has no safe stopping point nor does it require any pertitnent amount or glute activation

They are not in any way the same thing and I already stated why to that of which you have dodged the specific difference twice in a row. Stop posting retard.

>retard that doesnt even lift asking for advice

>hip thrusting has no safe stopping

it does you massive retard
its called your hip range of motion
if you go farther than that you need to move with your spine which brings me to another question
>Are you even bracing properly

>retard with communication errors and reading comprehension failure can't explain the correct answer to an utterly simple ab question
thanks for the free bump dumbo

>its called your hip range of motion
yeah maybe if your hips have pathetic rom.
>if you go farther than that you need to move with your spine
no your spine winds up taking the brunt of the weight if you thrust too far which is extremely easy to do because thrusting causes momentum dumpshit
> Are you even bracing properly
fucking hell you're retarded. taking a deep breath and a straight back is piss easy. over extending is a fairly common problem however and I think this right here is why. You can't answer a simple two choice question without trying to change the subject.

Yeah youre totally going to thrust your hips too far by accident and they will rip out of your body.
Better not squeeze your glutes together too hard or they will pop out of your ass.

Your form is why your back hurts.
Your an idiot, post your form video so we can laugh at your excessively round lower back.

I can imagine some retard with a fucking round back deadlifting 1 plate and thinking
>hmm did i thrist my hips too far forward?

quit posting retard

Everyone here can do this painlessly but you, it's either your health or form

I'm not the retard on the way to snap city without even knowing it

>hur am i thrusting my hips too far forward?
Literally impossible to have this problem if you are deadlifting over 225lbs, post your form so we can tell you it's fucked already pussy

OP, try watching this and see if you can locate a known problem in your form, it's a very good video:
youtube.com/watch?v=S6hCDN4pR0o

You don't speak for anyone but yourself, cock swallower.

Are you implying that your hips are so pathetically weak that more weight will stop hip thrust momentum from occuring?

what kind of pain is it? some dull muscular soreness is expected as deadlifts also work lower back muscles

I am saying nobodies hips are strong enough to overextend accidentally when deadlifting. You would have to fucking intentionally lean back.

Why are you trying so hard to avoid posting your form video that you have supposedly posted before?
Sounds like you know your form is shit even with baby weight but you have some inflated ego online.

I'm trying to help you not fuck your shit up but you're pretty determined to do it anyway.

Posting in an epic troll thread

i'm asking for a technical explanation as to which of two directly contradictory deadlift lockout cues are correct. my form video won't change the answer. fact is you're too retarded to answer a simple ab question. now stop posting retard.

>because no one knows what doms soreness is compared to pain

Just stop lifting for 2 months

lmao kill yourself retard
lift and lurk more before making retarded threads nigger

>contradictory
They're the same thing retard. Stand up and drive your hips forward, then squeeze your glutes.

Again, these are not causing you back pain it's your form. I'll smile later when I am painlessly doing my DL and laugh that some ego baby would rather argue on Veeky Forums than fix his form on an amazing exercise.

>Asks for advice
>Avoids questions
>Avoids posting form vid
>Calls others stupid
Iam12andwhatisthis

my lower back would often get sore off of squats, deadlifts and the oly lifts even though my form *looked* perfect too. The one weird trick that completely fixed my problem was involving my abs more. I squeezed them as tight as I could on all reps and not only did my back stop hurting, but my lifts went up. Have you considered your lower back might be doing too much work?

>Stand up and drive your hips forward, then squeeze your glutes.
you mean thrust your hips forward or are you shifting goal posts again?

as stated, you begin the glute squeeze when the bar begins moving past your knees. this accomplishes driving the hips forward without adding a momentum based thrusting movement to it.

>Again, these are not causing you back pain it's your form
yeah you're entirely wrong and you don't know shit about deadlift mechanics. watch this video on how squeezing glutes protects your low back then kys idiot

youtube.com/watch?v=yFv2Qbd4JhA

the glute squeeze lockout cue caused obscene amounts of ab activation compared to hip thrust for me personally.

You are literally just getting mad at semantics, driving and thrusting your hips are the same thing.
You squeeze your glutes which is part of bringing your hips through, again they are the same thing.

I don't know why you think you're some deadlift guru but reading what you write just confirms that you don't know what you're talking about.

>retarded kid who can't deadlift without rounding telling me I don't know what I'm doing
Post your form video and show me that I am wrong, otherwise you are just doing damage control like a retard.

driving =/= thrusting
if driving is accomplished by squeezing glutes and not by thrusting, it's no longer semantics. squeezing glutes =/= thrusting hips.

once again, you're a communication and reading comprehension failure and you need to stfu because you're entertaining in the slightest you mentally dejected sack of human waste.

It is semantics because driving/thrusting with your hips is the exact same as squeezing you glutes.
You can't do one without doing the other, that's why different people give these form queues for the same exercise, because they are the same queues.

Your form is bad, the fact that you haven't posted the video is proof that you know on some level that I am right and you are wrong.
I don't care if your form blows
I don't care that your deadlift is less than my bench
I have had a lot of lower back issues and have fixed them all. If you want help then I will help you, but that's up to you.

Why do you need deadlifts eh? Just literally drop this meme exercise.

>It is semantics because driving/thrusting with your hips is the exact same as squeezing you glutes.
You can't do one without doing the other
Are you saying you can't thrust your hips forward without clenching your ass cheeks together as hard as you can? You're probably gonna need a bigger butt plug for that gaping hole in your ass you gigantic faggot.

The entire purpose of the glute squeeze cue is to squeeze them until you can no longer; this completes the locked out position and protects low back from injury. Hip thrusting does not in any way instruct or require it as a form cue in fact rippetoe specifically rails against it. just stop posting you literally know nothing and are boring to respond to.

>rippetoe specifically rails against it
*against glute squeeze

Alright you're too dumb to get help anyway so i'm done.
Have fun sitting up straight, bending over to tie your shoes, or doing anything involving your lower back.

You will never deadlift correctly, you might as well find a replacement like suggested because you are too stupid to do them correctly.
A shame too, they're almost as good as squats.

I had the same problem. Pull sumo and you should be fine. You may have anterior pelvic tilt which causes you to naturally hypetextend and puts a ton of compression on your lower back under load. Allan thrall has a good video on YouTube on how to fix your anterior pelvic tilt youtube.com/shared?ci=u9eQ5PMDRuM It's basically weak hamstrings and abs, and strong/tight lower back and hip flexors

Rdls to learn how to load your hammies. Squeeze your abs. Don't lift more than 135.

kys already nobody cares about your opinion idiot

why don't you post your epic form you god damn moron you're a clueless retarded faggot

whichever one feels best to you dumbass... if one is hurting you're back, it's OBVIOUSLY not the right one for you.

>you're

your*