Why do all of my normie friends hate squats?

Why do all of my normie friends hate squats?

I don't understand this meme when they're all about the "le don't skip leg day xD" shit

Is there a serious reason to do leg press over squats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mbQnZL6EoI0
instagram.com/p/BNcbq-LjmU8/?taken-by=filiplindstr&hl=nb
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562558/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is there a serious reason to do leg press over squats?

If you're injured or a DYEL

Normies do leg press because they can put 700 lbs on it and feel strong after doing 1 "rep". However, they can't squat more than 135 ATG.

if you have leverages extremely unsuited to the squat the leg press will be a much better quad exercise

can also be used closer to total failure without unsafe technique

this makes it useful for bodybuilding purposes - your quadriceps do not understand a barbell squat or a leg press, they only understand volume, progressive overload, and mechanical tension

of course if you powerlift or have PL aspirations, you must squat

i've never found a leg press where this is the case

the plate loaded 45 degree ones are pretty tough with just a few plates on and i can squat 445

So you can basically build the same legs and and ass on substitute machines as you would with squats?

I'm insanely rigid and just don't have The flexibility for squats, no matter what I try, will I be fine if I bust ass on other exercises to make up for it?

I agree. I have the same issue.
But we are talking about normies. They don't go all the way down.

you're not too rigid for squats
just fucking do them

because they are hard, normies hate things that are hard it makes them feeeeel bad

It's easier to do 2 plates on leg press than on squats. Especially high bar squats. That's it, it's ego.

you can definitely build the same legs and ass, but it's a question of training economy

flexibility is not a legitimate reason to not do squats, just develop the flexibility and then do the exercise

if after some time spent doing them you find they don't hit your quads very well (usually the case for long femured lifters) just do something else

besides, squats for glutes is a bit of a meme, deadlifts variants reign supreme in building glutes and hamstrings

Gotcha. Gonna keep working on my flexibility then. I'm probably just being impatient because it seems to not even be a strength issue. I started doing goblet squats and going deep as fuck and foam rolling And shit to get lower, will keep at it, thx brehs

user nothing is better than being a tall guy who squats 3pl8 a2g for reps

unless your goal is big quads, in which case there may be better ways to get then

the squat dogma is ridiculous these days, it's an exercise like any other unless you compete in powerlifting

the squat releases more natural HGH than any other exercise
on the anecdotal end of things, i have much bigger legs than any friends who "body build" or use machines instead

the HGH and test release from squats (or any exercise) is completely and utterly irrelevant in building muscle, this is broscience that has been debunked time and time again

you need supra-physiological levels for any anabolic advantage

also most of your friends are probably devoting their energy to their upper bodies more than their lower bodies, i see plenty of big squatters with fuck all leg development

I do leg press because I have lopsided shoulders and can't hold both a barbell and my own body straight at the same time

if you see big squatters with fuck all leg development, they probably aren't hitting a good depth. i once saw a thin guy squat 7 plates with a depth of one inch
please, post guys with with big squats, good form and bad legs. you'll be hard-pressed to find them. also, have you heard of ronnie coleman

the squat is better as an overall exercise, as a pure isolation for your legs, of course leg press will be favored a bit. Which is why you do both.

Just doing one over the other can sacrifice a lot of gains. If you just squat you are missing out on a lot of leg hyperthrophy to get dem joocy wheels, and if you just do leg press you are missing out on an exercise that literally causes your entire body to grow (for the most part) as well as improve athleticism immensely.

this is a guy who squats 500+ to IPF depth

isley has big legs
if you're looking for body-building legs though (ones with lots of definition) that's something that's more regulated by diet than anything else

The reason his quads are small is because he is not a bodybuilder... he trains in low rep sets... obviously if you train outside of 8-12 you will never amass any size

why are anons who don't know a single thing about what they're talking about allowed to post?
starting strength and other basic, low-rep programs will make you big, you just won't be cut. don't confuse definition with size

the guy said big squatters have big legs, i posted a counterexample

obviously isley could have much bigger legs if he trained in higher rep ranges, but the point stands that a big squat does not always equal 10/10 leg development

T. Dyel

T. Guy doing SS

You're an idiot. Size gains are absolutely minimal training in low rep ranges. This is why you see guys with tiny, well, tiny everything that push 2/3/5/5.5

Isley's legs are beyond tiny considering he is training for a decade.

That's including the fat. Once you subtract the 25% body fat Isley has, his fucking legs are toothpicks.

You're so stupid. Report back in 5 months with the size gains you got from SS thanks!

Why are you allowed to post? Why are people on their first month of SS delusional that they are gaining muscle mass and size allowed to post?

Kys

>this is why you see guys with tiny, well, tiny everything that push 2/3/5/5.5
could you post some examples? I have yet to see anyone online or in person that can OHP 2plate, bench 3plate, squat 5 plate, and deadlift 5.5 plate look small
You seem to be trolling or talking out of your ass

Even 1/2/3/4 is starting to look juicy

>post examples

How about Isley while we're on the fucking topic?

10 years of training for strength, strong as hell, no size. Funny how that works?

Anyways you often, often see web.ms of people throwing around huge numbers looking small. That is what happens when you train for strength.

How about you just listen to me? If you want to get big, train in 8-12 rep range with lots of volume. This is fucking basic shit.

Why did you even think doing SS was a good idea? Fell for strength base meme?

I have bad news for anyone who takes advice from a gaylord like this.

Where is your name. I can't see it for some reason. You should probably attach a name if you don't already have one so people can ignore you quicker.

I don't have any pictures, but isley has a significant amount of muscle mass, just a lot of fat packed on, he's sitting at about >20% rn if I had to guess. Also you are missing the fact that he had a poverty bench for a significant amount of time, so his upper body does not seem that developed.

You are using a very niche example of a competitive powerlifter who trains differently from 90% of Veeky Forums, you cannot use him as an example to discredit "strength" training. And I have yet to see which webms you are talking about. It is impossible to move relatively heavy weight without significant muscle mass.

And on another note, powerlifting training varies quite heavily from conventional strength training for the purpose of athleticism/ aesthetics. I suggest you actually do some research about what you are talking about before spouting typical bait and broscience.

(you) faggot
youtube.com/watch?v=mbQnZL6EoI0
heres an example of a girl doing it. you can be really strong and not be huge. she also does 400~ raw

>a tiny Asian chick
>in knee wraps
>with equipment covering ~80% of her body
So this is your idea of being able to tell someones body composition? And it once again is a very niche example, she obviously is a top level powerlifter with very specific talents and training routines.

People at this level of ability often are just very talented or have their own way of doing things, you cannot base you view on an entire dogma of training off of something like this. Its a very narrow minded view of things.

Also women cannot gain as much muscle mass as men, and naturally have a higher bf%.

>can also be used closer to total failure without unsafe technique

I disagree. Most raw squats get stuck in the hole where it's relatively easy / safe to bail onto the safeties.

You fuck up on a leg press machine and you end up like that chick with her knees broken backwards (or at the very least it's much harder to get out from under the weight)

I skip leg day all the time, I hate squatting and whenever i feel bad i always go to the gym to deadlift for 1 set

seriously it just takes 1 set on squats or deadlifts every 2 weeks to maintain and i even see improvement on my weight in such a long span

I can't squat and it sucks. My feet and knees are not aligned properly, so when my knees are straight my feet are out as in pic related. In order for me to have my knees track out, my feet have to be all the way out and I have no balance.

I can even turn them all the way backward kind of like how most people can turn them 90 degrees

>nearly 5 plate
>fails three times
>wobbling the whole time
>still does it
>probably weighs enough that i could bench her for reps

ADMIRING. INFINITELY ADMIRING.

Chris Duffin has pretty small legs considering he regularly pulls world class numbers and has a squat world record.

the only people who talk about "lel skipping leg day" look like this

I literally cannot bend my arm back far enough to grab a bar sitting on my traps. My shoulders just won't allow for it. It's front squats or leg press for me.

I had a similar problem, my shoulders and arms would hurt after squatting. Only solution I've found is grabbing the bar with my arms stretched out as wide as possible and just push through. Now my arms feel fine when I'm squatting, although I still can't grab the bar, only hook my fingers around it.

squats are hard and take time to get used to
normies dont understand the effort that goes into it, like they dont give a shit about diet, which is more important than your routine

I had lymes disease for who knows how long while I was living a very active lifestyle and it deteriorated my joints until one of my meniscus' tore
Now when I bend my knees or even stand up from squatting they sound like creaky grinding old doors
I don't know if squats and leg workouts would make them stronger but I've always been too skeptical to try
Any ideas guys?

>Is there a serious reason to do leg press over squats?
If you're too unathletic and sedentary to do squats and refuse to work on it, alternately being injured, though even then I'd pick something like hex bar deads instead over leg presses.

George has profoundly shit technique and refuses to change it. Which is also the reason why his squat is barely intermediate.

Compare and contrast to an actually good squatter: instagram.com/p/BNcbq-LjmU8/?taken-by=filiplindstr&hl=nb

>Isley
>big squatter
"no"

They do 1/8th reps. Thats how the load on the plates. I don't even think they take off the safeties.

I was friends with this guy back in college a few years ago who was a 6'5" ultra-lanklet. He started lifting around the same time I did, but all he ever did was fuck around aimlessly for a few months, quit, repeat.

One day we're talking about lifting and he tells me he squats 450 pounds. This confuses the shit out of me because he has 0 muscle mass, but at his weight that would be an "Elite" squat according to just about any strength standards.

Turns out he wasn't doing full ROM... and he thought leg press "counted as squats."

I had a torn rotator cuff (currently rehabbing) and for now cannot bend my arm to hold the squat bar behind my neck. I have to do leg press and just recently started deadlifting with lighter weight to shoulder tolerance.

Riptits has fed you broscience. I bet you still drink a gallon of milk a day so I shouldn't even respond to your dumb ass.

>Size gains are absolutely minimal training in low rep ranges.
you got something to back that broscience up? Because the publications say otherwise

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562558/

You do know there are people that have a freakish muscle composition that allows them to move more weight for their size than normal, right? They aren't the rule. That's a stupid fucking example.

>If you're injured

>doing diddlies
>fuck my lower back
>decide to hold off on deadlifts and just finish the workout with squats
>get under the bar
>oshitnigger.jpg
>squatting kills the back
And then I was relegated to the leg press. Been doing it for 2 months now hoping my back would heal. It has quite a bit but I still get shooting pain when I'm still too long or do anything ab related.