V I S I G O T H THREAD

Can someone give me some interesting facts, documentaries, books, etc (especially looking for tv/documentaries) on Western Europe between the time of Rome's sacking and the Moorish conquest?

All I've ever heard of the period was "it sucked" but I'd really like to know more. The Visigoths seem cool, I really like their fashion and armor

Moors fucked blonde Visigothic women and kept them as cum toys.

no before that ya tard, before the moors invaded

>invaded
They were invited by Goths themselves, which leads me to believe that Goths that went to Spain were predominantly Germanic, unlike their Eastern counterparts in Poland and Ukraine.

ok anyway you're not helping here

The classic work in the subject is Thompson´s "The Goths in Spain" but Wickham says it´s outdated and recomends Collins´ "Early Medieval Spain" and "Visigothic Spain 409-711" and some others in German and Spanish.

>Visigoths
>blonde
lol, no. Maybe when they first left Scandinavia, but the time they ended up on the Iberian peninsula or trading spears with Romans, they were Sarmatian-Euromix mutts LARPing as Scythians.

The Goths were cooler when they were still in eastern Europe

Alaric was born in today's Romania. Taking into account that the goths lived for 50-60 years in Dacia before sacking Rome, there must have been some interbreeding between goths and the local getae. IMO the getae helped saking Rome.
:^)

thank you. finally a decent answer

There's been lots of intebreeding in Romania regardless. After Aurelian retreat parts or the whole country was ruled by Goths, Huns, Gepids, Avars, Bulgars, Pechengs and Cumans before Moldavia & Wallachia became a thing. That's almost 1000 years of foreigners.

Indeed.

The most significant king of this phase of Visigothic history was Euric, who reigned from 466 to 484, under whom the Visigothic kingdom, with its capital at Toulouse, reached its greatest geographical extent which incorporated most of Iberia. Euric eliminated the last areas of direct Roman rule in Spain following the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in 476.

And yet the latin language is still present after 1800 years after the romans left, and it's even more mindboggling that most of the foreign roman provinces who were a lot longer subjects of the Roman Empire adopted other languages, while Romania kept even some latin words that arent common in the other romanic languages.
For example, instead of village, we say sat, from the old latin fossatum, meaning " defence ditch".

In alliance with the Burgundians, the Franks drove the Visigoths out of nearly all their possessions in France. The sole remainder of the French Visigothic kingdom was Septimania, which was stationed between the Pyrenees and lower Rhone.

wow, they're all bald and have holes in their skulls, so they are definitely related!

Indeed. Goths had nothing to do with modern Germans, fact.

Ummm, no one believes they do in the first place.

Except that guy, that is.

M-MUH GOTENGAU

In terms of like governance, culture and language, how much Visigothic influence was leftover during the middle to late medieval period of Iberia?

Congrats for introducing nazis to another thread.
Have half an Internet.

Suck my dick and flip your bean, you might feel better.

The Liber Iudicorum, Lex Visigothorum or Fuero Juzgo was the actual legal code followed by Christians.

Wasn't there a massive Latinization effort in the 1800s? Before, I believe, the language was heavily Slavic and some dialects were unintelligible, I heard.

>massive latinisation
>while Moldova was under heavy russian influence(see Bessarabia) ,and Transilvania was under hungarian control
And yet people(walachians,transilvanians and moldovans) understood eachother since the Middle Ages .
>different dialects
Boi you have no idea.

I don't know, I find it hard to believe that Romanians managed to preserve their Latin character for so long while the Balkans became thoroughly Slavic excepting Greece and Albania.

Goths/Geats = modern Sweden, everyone knows that.

That surely explains why they loved Islam so much.

Is that book a worthwhile read for anyone interested in Iberian history?

book chart on visigoths

We BTFO'em and they lost all their territory until the Pyrenees then they got fucked by byzantine empire then pest and civil war then muslim

There are speakers of a Latin language still living in Greece, Aromanian/Vlachika. Similar etymology to the word "Romanian"/Vlach, but it is a separate language.

I'm sure they'll love your zingers.

/pol/ doesn't like niggers...? why would they love his niggers?

visigoths are gross suebi ftw :D

The only new cities built in western Europe during the VI century were built by them in Spain.

And they also had their own architectural style and general art

S T I N K I G O T H S

They bothered to write down a legal code which is pretty much all i know about the kingdom

Suevi = Old Swabians who moved to present day Iberian Galicia from present day Polish Galicia

>Polish Galicia
lol, NO. When they emerged as a force, it was in modern southern Bavaria to Czech Republic (if the Roman sources can be trusted). They moved west into current Schwaben and then (some of them) southwest across Roman areas, ending up in northwestern Spain.

Iberian Galicia and """Polish""" (really Ruthenian) Galicia are etymologically unrelated, and belong(ed) to different groups, but the words are spelled the same in modern English. There's no direct connection.

Everyone was christian. The difference was between romans and visigoths.

The visigoths were ruled by the Code of Euric, which was the first legal code written by any of the germanic peoples, which was different to the laws that applied to romans, until the Liber Iudiciorum or Lex Visigothorum unified the legal system no longer making any disctintions between visigoths and romans, now everyone was hispani (except those that weren't christian, like the jews, and the Liber Iudiciorum brought the hammer on them)

I found it interesting. But I don´t know what you are looking for on Iberian History. It´s great if you want to know about how Spaniards have use Goths to portray themselves in different ages.

He asked about Gothic influence influence left over during Middle to late Middle Ages, aka after moorish invasion. That´s why I said "Christians".

>"""Polish""" (really Ruthenian)
It was Polish for longer than Ruthenian, you might also argue that it was land of Kiev Polans.

>a brick shack
>"""their own""" architectural style

Pretty impressive of him
What lead to the countrys downfall? That looks like a major regional player.

The visigothic defeat of Vouille, where the Visigoths lost their king, without a leader (as the next king was a kid) the Goths were promptly overrum by the Franks. Theodoric the Great´s (the then king of the Ostrogoths) intervention stabilized the situation for the Visigoths, but soon, the Baltid line of the kings ended leading to various nobles to compete for the throne.
Liuvigild is considered to be the king who put the internal strife to an end and launched a series of military campaigns to conquer most of Iberia.

It´s not easy to tell why the Franks trumped over the Goths, this may have been cause the Goths had overextended in Hispania, cause the Frankish Clovis managed to attract other players, such as Roman Catholics or other tribes...

Sarmatians were also notable for blonde/red hair though.

Regardless, the two are not related. Eastern historical Galicia has next-to-nothing to do with the historical Iberian region of the same name.

It was only """Polish""" long after the relevant timeframe we're talking here. Go glue some wings on your back and fap elsewhere Piotr.

>coming from a manlet who couldn't even build a shelter from twigs to save his life.

Over-expanded and the territory was not consolidated or pacified.

Well it's probably true that no steppe groups were really "ethnically" pure. IIRC, the 'line' between where Euros and Asians started to switch used to be a lot further east than it is today. That modern central asians look like Iranics/T*rks/Mongols is just from the last several hundred years. These groups were more like biker (horse) gangs than modern settled nations, and it's not really helpful to view them as such. Crimea had long been on slaving routes, so it's not hard to believe lighter-complexion phonemes were floating around. Sarmatians were definitely predominately Iranic peoples.

The Franks triumphed over the Visigoths because for every Frank there were 5 gallo-romans and an allied/cucked burgundian fighting the Visigoths.

The Visigoths were still arrians and not exactly appreciatted by the local catholic gallo-roman population, while the Franks had just converted to Catholicism after defeating the Alamanni by the very skin of their teeth in Tolbiac. This was a vital major event, as it enabled them to win over the gallo-roman population to their side.

Had Vouille strictly been Franks vs Visigoths the story would have probably been very different.

Let us remember that the Franks were a bunch of nobodies that played no part whatsoever in the historical events of the V century.

It is. It's called Visigothic style.

Might not very impressive, but considering everybody else at the time in western europe (anglos, saxons, franks, burgundians, etc) were building nothing but piles of slag to take cover from the rain, then it becomes remarkable.