Is there any real, non-autistic reason for learning history? Or is it just another spergy interest like anime or vidya?

Is there any real, non-autistic reason for learning history? Or is it just another spergy interest like anime or vidya?

Other urls found in this thread:

historians.org/about-aha-and-membership/aha-history-and-archives/historical-archives/why-study-history-(1998)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just a spergy interest. Trust me, I study it at university: don’t. First few years you get people who couldn’t get into Law and think History isn’t going to be such a bad degree, then after that only autists huffing their own farts are left. You haven’t lived until you witness an argument between a guy that does his thesis on the influence of serials on Mexican-American identity and one that does his thesis on 12th century decrees from Flamders and all taking themselves very seriously.

definitely not please leave forever

Yes, but it's a spergy interest people will pay you for if you're very lucky. Actually scratch that, that's true for anime and vidya now too.

It can help in understanding geopolitics, or just talking to people from different cultures.

Rundown for you:
historians.org/about-aha-and-membership/aha-history-and-archives/historical-archives/why-study-history-(1998)

>History Helps Us Understand People and Societies
>History Contributes to Moral Understanding
>History Provides Identity
etc.

The "learning from the past" meme doesn't exist for no reason. It is important we do, as well as making sure that people cannot bend history for their own purposes.

idk what uni you go to, you sound bitter. Most at mine are fine and those who study obscure topics have a good sense of self-awareness. Why would there be a debate between two unrelated topics?

Why are there so many people on this history focused board that despise the field? Are you guys compensating for something, or are you just masochistic?

I'm guessing they're mostly people who grew up on vidya and WW2 films and thought history was just cool facts and stuff to tell your friends.

Now that's what I call Art

It can help you understand humanity better.

It is the study of all humanity that came before us. If you think history is an irrelevant curiosity you should read up on some.. history.. of tyrannical states and empires that used revisionist or censored history to commit atrocities and subjugate their entire populations.

Oh no, not an academic debate, just two spergs arguing. I go to the université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, supposed to be the best History department in France and third best in Europe. Zero self-awareness here, and half of them sprinkle rabid leftism on their bullshit too. But yeah, I’m bitter: actually studying History, listening to my parents saying I should study what I love, has potentially ruined my future. I’m stuck in a field I’ve grown to hate, with no way out. I still love History, I would have blown my brains out already if I didn’t, just not the motherfuckers that study it.

Only good things in the field are the few autistic qts with obscure interests like early Meiji fashion or something, and the occasional fun guys when doing field work.

Lots of people get jobs not directly related to their degrees, including STEM graduates. There is probably another kind of job out there for you than history. Unless things are super different in France or something.

Sure, but with a History degree you’re not going to get anything good. My best bet is things like civil service, but there are schools of administration that dominate the exams to get any of the decent jobs. Looking at people I know that have already graduated, most are miserable and have resigned themselves to become schoolteachers, a few are miserable working in museums making coffee for their bosses, a few actually teach in university along their doctorate research (and are equally miserable), some work in tourism, many got jobs in another totally unrelated field and feel like they wasted 6 years of their lives, the only two happy ones are a girl that got married early and is now a housewife, and a guy that said fuck it and went to teach French abroad in a private school.

It helps give ideas for my writings.

People will look at you when you tell something during a citytrip about the place and go " OMG user you're sooo smaaaht!" and you're left wondering if they were being genuine or not.

Since when did useless people care about the utility of their useless knowledge?

>my writing

lol

They’re not. No one genuinely gives a fuck, maybe old people if you’re lucky.

I think history is more respectable than anime or vidya but yeah its not really that useful. I just like history as a hobby but doing more with it would pretty pointless honestly.

Well it goes both ways then, I don't care about their musings like "in the past people had so much better taste I hate modern art" and "this war memorial is sad, why can't people just get along" and don't forget "my great uncle's wife's adopted brother's great-great-grandma was from here! I love my heritage and culture!"

Then you shouldn't talk with them about those things user.

>it helps us understand society
None of that is down to earth.

LOL i like anime and video games. xD such a sperg.

>Its not useful unless it makes money
Disdainforplebs.jpg

I found the problem, friend. You're French.

Its a vulgar, materialistic, soulless way of thinking desu.

I’d like to not spend the rest of my life living paycheck to paycheck, thank you very much.

Well, yeah, that’s a given.

I hate Veeky Forums sometimes. So many loaded questions or people begging the question . Philosophy and logic should be taught in high school.

Do not poopoo on a academic subject merely because you are materially useless to society as a whole.

>impying they wouldnt just get taught in such a way at further encourages asslicking
"today class we are going to learn about MARX!"

I studied both and I've come to the logical conclusion that you're a huge faggot

Philosophy is taught here in highschool, usually it’s more of a history of Philosophy, overview of the different ways of thought. Depends on the teacher, though, I’m sure some turn their classes in marxist propaganda.

this ain’t a debate, nerd.

It's important that important people are intimately familiar with history both contemporary and further back. People with actual power, people who make decisions for many. That, and teachers of history.

For the rest, we shouldn't be ignorant for any reason, but history from further back won't have a big impact on how we live our day to day lives.