Man dies after barbell falls on neck while benchpressing

>Iowa State university student, 22, dies after a barbell slipped and CRUSHED his neck as he bench-pressed 315lbs

>Kyle Thomson was bench-pressing 315 pounds when the barbell slipped

>The accident occurred Monday at Elite Edge Transformation Center in Ankeny Ankeny Fire Chief James Clack says the barbell fell on Thomson's neck

>A fire ambulance took Thomson to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead

I've always worried about this but have never heard of it happening until now.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4073924/Weightlifter-dies-315-pound-barbell-drops-neck.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AUZYeTbyzzQ?t=32s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not really sure why safety rails arn't always incorporated into dedicated bench press equipment. Safety rails don't mean you have to do a 'pin' bench press. It's fine if they are 1-3 inches below the top of your chest as you will probably survive a broken rib.
Without safety rails, your neck gets crushed or your heart gets turned into a pancake.
An unexpected seizure, fainting spell, or muscle tear can cause you to drop a bar faster than your spotter can even react.
Being macho isn't worth causing a crippling injury to your heart or crushing your neck.

bump and RIP

Was he using the suicide grip?

>probably survive a broken rib.

unless it splinters into a vital organ perhaps?

F
I started benching in the squat rack with safety pins but nonetheless I'm not going pass 270

Well yeah obviously, but I don't know if he was using the traditional suicide grip or he made up his own more effective version

And that's why you use dumbbells.

F

Can confirm: The bench press is were most injuries in the gym happen. Close second would be treadmills/ellipticals.

Source: I was A Paramedic/f/ucker

This
RIPIP

This is why I focus on ohp, I just throw in some pullovers to hit chest.

RIP Kyle.

If you look at the 5th pick on the site you can see he did not have PL arch form so gg.

Plenty of gruesome stories btw.

Thats why ALWAYS lock out before moving the bar to re rack and always make sure you're racked.
Also breath.

It's still not risk free, just a lot safer. A bar making your ribs and sternum suddenly move three inches might kill you if the bone splinters or the impact occurs between heart beats. The main issue with safety rails is that commercial power cages don't have adjustment holes at small enough distances so that you can bench with full ROM but still have the pins at just under chest level. They need to have westside style pin hole distances
If you drop 315lbs with the pins set .5" under chest level, with high strength pins and a bar, I'd doubt you'd get the kind of fracture where the bone splinters.

Damn. That sucks. I always bench in the power cage with the safeties. Partly to avoid this, but entirely because that's all my gym has. If it does drop it will scare the shit out of me but I will walk away.

315. rip brah

It's called Commotio Cordis m8,
The window is Teenyteenytiny and in grown adults Rare as fuck.

That's why you always lockout your elbows.
That's why you never use a suicide grip.
That's why you never ego-lift, because let's be honest, these things usually don't happen with a 5RM.
That's why you always use a spotter or safety rack when going for 1RM.
That's why you always use some degree of a powerlifting arch, because even when you fail, it will rarely be above your throat.

I don't know. I've never been close to dropping the bar, and I've failed by my own without safety pins or a spotter more times than I can count. It's really hard to just drop something when you're superfocused and supertight in your whole body I feel.

This is why you should not ever go for your 1rm.

It's actually really fucking rare to see someone drop the bar from suicide grip. Most bench drops happen with a regular grip simply because your thumbs aren't gonna do shit if the bar starts moving.

These. The Barbell Bench Press is a dangerous and outdated exercise. I'd like to see it banned at every gym.

Naw, just maybe a little bit of clarification in the fitness community.

Gyms that hold regular free lifting lessons have dramatically less calls.

> most bench drops happen with regular grip

that because most people use a regular grip, not because regular grip is equally or more dangerous than suicide grip.

> thumbs aren't going to do shit if the bar starts rolling

it's literally directly in the way of the bar if it rolls slightly.

>tfw shoulder impingement means I can't do pullovers

>Most bench drops happen with a regular grip
Isn't that because most people use a regular grip, Thus making most bench drops happen with that grip?
>your thumbs aren't gonna do shit if the bar starts moving.
Your thumbs might give you a few seconds to react so the bar wont fall on you rather than just having it sllip out of your hands when you use suicide grip. But this really wouldn't be an issue if you just know your limits and don't try and lift more than you can handle.

It's in the way, but it's not going to stop serious weight if it starts moving. That's how a lot of the drops happen - the bar starts to slide or roll and the shift forces the thumb down (or in one case I know of, dislocated the poor bastards thumbs).

Also a paramedic here, worst I seen from a gym was when a barbell fell on this dude's face, smash all his teeth out broke his jaw and he died, curbstomped by a barbell. I wouldn't recommend it.

>tfw same age, same state, and same area.

Damn man.

How long until fatties spin this into their reasons for not lifting?

This is real? How heavy was the barbell?

Dang, my guy didn't die.
Definitely smashed his jaw and teeth, tipped his cheek and fucked his neck up a little.
Curbstomp is an excellent way to put it.

The dude had excellent health/dental so he's got a bunch of shiny new teeth now.

*Ripped.

That's why you don't let retards in the gym.

They had removed the weights by the time we got there but said it was 3pl8. Could have been less desu he wasn't that big.

20 kg

Now count the total reps people do all over the world every day with dangerous weight, without dropping.

It's extremely unlikely to happen regardless.

This is the equivalent of the guy squatting for the first time ever trying 2 plate in sandals.

So much this.

Slipping can happen without suicide grip. Watched one of max chewning videos he was benchin and all of a sudden barbell slipped at him.

Tho not sure if its max or omar isuf. Always use chalk when benchin specialy people like me who hvlave uber sweaty hands.

Feel bad for the guy, but I chuckled.

RIP and this is why the fuck you always use the safeties when you are benching alone. Especially when you are going heavy

I bench in one of these. Used to be worried all the time before. After a close call situation I bought a power cage instead of the rack I had before. It's got good grips for pushups, dips and you can squat in it as well, so I'm happy with it. Planning to get the attachment with the weight magazine for rows and other pulls.

Tl;dr this is the faggot in your gym that benches in the squat rack to use the safety bars

Someone was taking Dom's advice seriously.

> tfw I just hit 97.5kg bench press for reps
> tfw one of my biggest motivations since I started lifting a long time ago was getting 100kg aka 2plate for reps
> tfw my gym has no safety rails on the benches
> tfw I may never try for the 100kg 5RM again

not even shitposting, actually.

I saw the vid where Omar did it. Shit looked painful. He said it fucked his sternum up for a couple years.

> not really sure why safety rails aren't always incorporated
BAR HAS TO TOUCH YOUR CHEST FAGGOT

If you want to pussy out on the king of all exercises, do it in the smith machine

Sheiko saves lives. Never go to failure on bench unless you have a COMPETENT (read: big guy) spotter, and stay well below 90%. In the case of sheiko, doing sets at an average intensity of 70% for insane amounts of shittening pissening sickening volume.

>king of all exercises

lost

What part of "dedicated bench press equipment" don't you understand?
As lifting continues to become more popular, chains like Gold's will probably start buying bench presses with built-in adjustable safeties for insurance purposes. The lack of safety rails wasn't an issue when most gym goers struggled to bench 200 but now even at Anytime Fitness you'll see crossfit dads repping out 275. Spotting is laughably ineffective at preventing a dropped BP from fucking someone up and gyms will either need to go to smith machines or safety BP.
I use two hard dicks as safety rails. They are supple enough for the barbell (also a dick) to be able to touch my chest.

How heavy does it need to be to do serious damage?

Depends on the person and how unlucky they are. I've seen people get pretty beaten up by a sub-200 roll of shame. I've also seen one guy shrug off dumping close to 400 on his stomach (if we extend this to videos rather than just in-person stuff, I've also seen guys pull up fine after losing a grand or more forward in gear).

I wonder if someone added a plate on each side so he would have a respectable weight to die under

If you adjust the bench to the right height then there is no reason you can't use safety rails and touch the bar to your chest. I bench in a cage and I can touch the bar to my chest, the safety rails are lower than my chest but higher than my neck, it's perfect. I've failed reps many times and I just gently lower the bar down and sneak out from under.

And all could have been avoided by not using a suicide grip and setting up the damn safeties.

That's why you don't use suicide grip. Even if you have 2 spotters they're not going to be able to instantly catch 315lbs falling through the air.

he looks exactly like the ugly cunt who manages to die from something like that

Why did i have to read this?
Now i'm gonna be shitting my pants on bench tomorrow

Suicide grip lives up to it's name again.

>mfw starting to get cartilage pain in my sternum

You set the safeties below your chest you fucking div.

That way you can get full ROM but if you drop the bar it's not going to crush down and crush your heart against your spine, it's just going to smash the first inch of your chest and then stop.

It's the difference between a bruised chest/broken ribs and sitting there dying as the mush that was your internal organs leaks out of your asshole.

Or you just drop your arch, which'll put your chest below the safeties.

It'll fuck the bar but that's better than it fucking your chest.

>thumbless grip
Is this really a surprise?

If the bar drops on your chest when you have an arch, it will just push your chest down and won't compress it that much.

Also check this video out to see how useless spotters are in some situations.

youtu.be/AUZYeTbyzzQ?t=32s

It was Omar Isuf and he was using the suicide grip

There's thousands of guys working out every hour and they don't die.

Enjoy having a shitty chest m8. Also incline bench press ftw.

don't be a sperg
ask for a spot

F

Would have been fine if he would have

>had a spotter
>not used suicide grip (maybe)
>used chalk

Friendly reminder to use chalk for any heavy lifts.

muy bueno

jesus, I'm never doing bench again

I'm seriously thinking about changing to DB benches now, fuck.

I actually know a guy who very nearly died from DB benching. Lost position on a heavy rep and the DB fell inwards. Bruised up his collarbone pretty bad but another inch or two inwards and it would've gotten him in the throat.

Freak accidents happen. The implements don't change that.

Agree. Former long-term free-weight trainer -- very 'ole school ex-meathead. Repeatedly told me that the same info. for years. He actually saw more damage from chicks, dudes and sad, clueless people on treadmills/elepticals. He always spotted me with his hands - inches from the bar when I pressed.
Paz

Maybe it's time gyms enforce limits on how much people can lift... or have a national bill signed, something like the "Safe Gains Initiative" that prohibits from going ham in the weight room at public gyms.

And today is a push day..
Wish me luck.

>having a push day
Pretty sure your working weight is non lethal

how do you think rolling out of your hands starts? it starts with it just moving a tiny bit, losing your grip just a bit. using a normal grip means you hold on to the bar better.

it's safer, period. there's not even a discussion there. if you like doing suicide grip, go for it, maybe it does feel better for you, whatever, but don't pretend it's safer than regular.

holy fucking new years

>Now I'm scared of lifting.

You fucking sons of bitches. How about you fucking do things properly with good form and stop ego lifting. That way you don't fucking put your bitchass throat at risk.

you can put safety rails on a bench you gigantic fucking retard

That's not Kyle, that's just a pic of inside the gym

>he doesn't have safety bars on his bench

Luckily I never max or anything

>being so afraid of dying that you can't even fucking bench press
Lol fucking faggot cucks, how do you even function. Do you not drive a car either?

Serious question here guys, how does dips compare to bench? Don't they hit essentially the same muscles?

Do tell.

Owner of my gym once dropped 3pl8 on himself. Cracked his sternum and some ribs. Didn't die unfortunately. Guy is a real piece of shit lol so the whole thing was a good laugh.

well.....THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY

Blonde hair is already rare and the blonde dude gets killed.

True, but i have a home gym because i'm not a poorfag who needs to stand in line to rent weights from someone else.

even if you have the bars it will still hit your chest because you're not going to get rom with the bars being over your chest

guaranteed chest pain for a few weeks

Did he ever use a trip here?

What is he, a child molester? Faggot? Race mixer? Kike?

That's why people with rare European traits need to have kids asap because not everyone loves to procreate and die of old age.

Normie lifters don't get it. Of course they will never hurt themselves with muh 185lb bench.
I was in track and field for years and myself and many of my teammates suffered unexpected, catastrophic injury during weight training. Not due to problems with form, just the body failing. This is what ended my shotput career:
>back squating 10x315 as a warm up set
>get deep in the hole and feel sharp pain in quad
>part of quad has rolled up leg
>no power, lose balance, and begin to fall
>left hand dumps barbell to grab quad while right hand stays in place
>barbell drops to floor twisting right arm back
>attempt to drop forward and down to escape but the bar falls too fast and the torque breaks right arm
And that's how I got a quad tear and a spiral fracture of the humerus. At the time I back squated 585 so it wasn't even that heavy by my standards.
If I had set the safety rails, I'd have a blown quad which would heal in a few months. Instead I have a huge metal plate in my arm and shit tons of scar tissue. I can't even pitch a baseball properly anymore.
Ignore safeties at your own risk.

normies don't even bench 185... at least not for reps

That's a ginger.

"All of the accidents you hear about weight training that result in fatalities... All of them happen right here on this exercise. Respect the bench. Use it, but respect it."

-Mark Rippetoe