> up to last rep
> just WILL not fucking go up

>01/01/17
>planned to focus on OHP
>arrive at gym
>gym closed
>doesnt open until 3rd
>7am was my last chance to go to the gym without it being January busy
>eveyones hangovers will be gone by then and will start going to the gym early for a whole month
>tfw OHP was removed from me

>hip drive

>go up
>SNAP SNAP SNAP

h-hehe...

how do I not fuck my back up on OHP?

HAVE A STRONG CORE

OHP IS A CORE EXERCISE

Squeeze glutes, brace core. Already doing that? Squeeze them harder.

I am trying
I AM FUCKING TRYING

squeeze abs while going up, its formidable

I was repping 105 after a month of lifting but I needed 17 more months to hit 1pl8 for a single. It's the hardest lift to make progress on. It's my favorite lift by far though.

Hit 135 my 2nd time in the gym for a double. A full year later, i can hit 135 for 4, but cant rep 140 for 1.

>3 and half months in
>50kg ohp for reps
>70kg bench

70 kg OHP for one rep last week. Pretty good progress for 6 months imo. But I've got them short ass arms.

Do that thing Rippetoe teaches. The hip bounce thing

There is a huge fuckign wall waiting for everyone who OHPs regularly. Its just in different places.

>bust my ass to hit 145 for 3
>cannot do 125 1x5

The bar just won't go up.

Not a strict press tho no matter what rippletits says.

>cheating
Not gonna make it

>do anything Rippetoe teaches

it's because you're weak desu

>2017
>saying desu
go kys faggot

>mfw the bar won't go past my head

Tell me how I know you're from reddit

you're lucky for you they don't have filters on /r/Veeky Forums

desu senpai

I do 150lb for 5x5 u mad?

DESU SENPAI

You have to have smaller differences in your weight, if you can do 135 for 4, try finishing your reps with push presses to increase endurance, and maybe do a few with 136 or 137

Bench is fucking stupid. Oh look at me I can press something while laying down with a ton of leg drive.

While standing press is literally just putting something overhead, it's mainly as fuck.

Fuck you pussy. No excuses.

aren't glutes the ass muscles? What tf do they have to do with chest/arm/shoulder exercise?

Have you ever actually OHP?

>3 and a half months in
>32.5kg ohp stall
>47.5kg bench

Are you 13 years old?

18, I'll admit though, i've missed a lot of sessions and haven't been AS consistent as I want

>add 2.5kg
>suddenly cannot do do one fucking rep

The keep you erect.

pr'd 160x5 on ohp at 185 lb while a qt was miring me in the mirror, feels FUCKIN GOOD

I mean you probably haven't done any challenging physical activities in your life before this or you are a very spooky skeleton.
After 60kg being my max I stopped any kind of training for a year (medical reasons) then went back and I lifted 80kg that's 18 to 19 years old. Tfw still in puberty

>tfw people only bring the bar down to eye level

Have it reach your clavicle or don't say you strict press you pussies

>half repping the press

WHY IS IT SO HARD?

baka desu lad

Bruh your front delts are stronger than her entire lower body. Better smash that.

>Not a strict press tho no matter what rippletits says.

You're wrong. The Press™ uses a HORIZONTAL hip movement to move your body around the bar.

In any OHP, you have to resolve the issue of your head being in the way. A slight movement at the hips is must safer than bobbing your head back and forth like a chicken.

As long as there is no leg drive and the bar moves from the chest to full sanding lockout, a strict press has been achieved.

For the faggot desu

Or you could not be a smartass faggot, do it proper and seated and not overcomplicate shit. This is Veeky Forums. This is bodybuilding. The strong fat men should fuck off.

Except the hip movement doesn't move your body around the bar. All it does is give you a boost to move the bar and then it makes up other "benefits"

This is the craziest shit to me.
I can do 1pl8 for reps no problem.
add 10lb.
can barely do 1

>This is Veeky Forums. This is bodybuilding.
Oh, okay, so the weak fat men should tell us what to do.

The best thing I ever did to boost my overhead press was something Bill Starr wrote.

Start doing triples, 5 sets of 3. Try to hit PRs this way. After your last set, do a light set to near-failure (don't push it, just stop when the rep gets slow). Then, do 3 sets of 10 dips. Unweighted if you're new to them, Weighted if you are experienced.

This brought my press from 205 to 260 and my bench press from 335 to 375 (I weigh 255).

Some of us are actually strong and lean but I don't expect ur dense fat ass to understand such concepts.

>not going down to nipple.

>Some of us are actually strong and lean
bitch please. i've seen plently of cbt threads

>188cm
>102 kgs

Currently doing 73 kgs x 3reps in OHP, got a cold like 15 days ago and it became a speedbump in my progress, hopefully I can continue getting it up soon

chest up you fucking nigger

Nyrfags are here already boys

Time to pack up for a month

>not going down to the floor
>not just doing the clean&press™

OHP is easily my favorite exercise
I wish I could do it every day

holy shit iktf

> testing OHP 1RM
> 115x5 feels easy
> 125x3 feels fine
> 130 barely moves

microweights nigger

> horizontal hip movement exerts force upwards

are you retarded?

>you use your legs to push something off your chest

The trick is behind the neck pressing at high volume for muscle development combined with lower volumes of strict OHP for strength

This has taken my max from 80kg to just short of 2pl8 on The Press

you're right, i'm a skelly and was extremely sedentary

I always feel the exact same way, then I get in the gym ready to crush it and the weight won't fucking go over my head. Then a day later I'm pumped to do more OHP after I failed my last progression.

>behind the neck pressing at high volume
perfect example of how many people snap their shit up.

Accurate description of my relationship with OHP.

Tfw hit 72.5 kg recently. Going for 82.5 kg this year. Gains in OHP are really going good.

>Want to have strong shoulders
>Shoulder mobility is fucked and can't raise my arms high enough

Wrong. Behind the neck presses are perfectly safe.
Injuries are due to stupidity

>Except the hip movement doesn't move your body around the bar.

The hip movement is horizontal. The purpose is to create a slight lean back that gets your head of out of the way. As soon as the bar clears your head, you straighten out and lock out the weight with a shrug.

The Press™ is not a lean back press/standing inclined bench press. In those movements, there is no full vertical lockout with a strug at the top.

>been two years
>finally hit 40kg OHP

alright lads since it's a new year it's time for some new shoulders. Try what I call the Ahren's press.

>Grab a dumbbell you think you can get about 6-8 reps with
>set up next to a sturdy stationary object such as a rack, weight tree etc
>Clean the dumbbell to your shoulders with a NEUTRAL grip
>Now grab the object with your free hand and flex your glutes, brace your abs and squeeze the shit out of it
>press that fucking dumbbell overhead as many times as you can

I dunno why, but the shit works, brahs. I was teamnoshoulders for the longest and doing this for a few weeks blew my shit up. Work up into 60-75 lbs dumbbells and you'll see what I mean.

let someone else load it up, may be psychological

mfw can't ohp at planet fitness

ik that feel
i can hit 155 for a single, and even 160 a few times

i just for the life of me cannot get 135x5

how skelly are you? it took a month to hit 45kg.

Have you even seen rip's vids?

He shows that it moves. Because you don't move your fucking body in a perfect parallel line in a way that doesn't effect something resting on your shoulders/hands. Rip's entire purpose of the hump is that it breaks the dead momentum and then you push. Because the bar has moved without you doing anything in your shoulders.

I was unaware your shoulders could react like a cats head when your body moves 2 feet below it. Fucking gopro shoulders over here

>I don't understand anything: the post

>I can't move my head without turning it into a standing incline press

>fully lengthening the subscapularis for a pressing movement
>perfectly safe
You're right, injuries are due to stupidity.

>not digging a hole and lifting from deep inside
>not using hole to crawl and cry into like a dyel

jesus, id be fucking terrifed of OHP if i had a glass skull
can't count the nuber of times i have bonked my self