tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02701367.1982.10605218
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436270
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142003
youtube.com/watch?v=AnKl5MSqFNU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lith's best lifts?

I'm coming for the guy.

In for Tears for Fears version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gary juless trash cover

You are probably already stronger than him.

Definitely look stronger.

imagine watching donnie darko with the original, kek

Trappy makes me happy!

Progression Models in Resistance Training for Healthy Adults

It is recommended that novice to intermediate individuals train with loads corresponding to 60–70% of 1 RM for 8–12 repetitions and advanced individuals cycle training loads of 80–100% of 1 RM to maximize muscular strength (9,33,96,206,225,227,255,268).

>9. Anderson T, Kearney JT. Effects of three resistance training programs on muscular strength and absolute and relative endurance. Res Q. 1982;53:1–7.

>33. Campos GE, Luecke TJ, Wendeln HK, et al. Muscular adaptations in response to three different resistance-training regimens: specificity of repetition maximum training zones. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002;88:50–60.

>96. Häkkinen K, Alen M, Komi PV. Changes in isometric force-and relaxation-time, electromyographic and muscle fibre characteristics of human skeletal muscle during strength training and detraining. Acta Physiol Scand. 1985;125:573–85.

>206. Peterson MD, Rhea MR, Alvar BA. Maximizing strength development in athletes: a meta-analysis to determine the dose– response relationship. J Strength Cond Res. 2004;18:377–82.

>225. Rhea MR, Alvar BA, Burkett LN, Ball SD. A meta-analysis to determine the dose response for strength development. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003;35:456–64.

>227. Rhea MR, Phillips WT, Burkett LN, et al. A comparison of linear and daily undulating periodized programs with equated volume and intensity for local muscular endurance. J Strength Cond Res. 2003;17:82–7.

>255. Stone WJ, Coulter SP. Strength/endurance effects from three resistance training protocols with women. J Strength Cond Res. 1994;8:231–4.

>268. Weiss LW, Coney HD, Clark FC. Differential functional adaptations to short-term low- moderate-, and high-repetition weight training. J Strength Cond Res. 1999;13:236–41.

Why are we defending SS again? Remind me.

I think you just fixed the film

Link to the studies, I bet they're mostly bullshit or unrelated to the conclusion.

What's the proper way to warm up for bench? Last night I failed my first set, but second and third were successful.

SS is a shit, the only person whos defending it is probably a trap that doesn't lift and managed to troll an entire board.

1pl8 5 reps, 2pl8 3 reps, 3 pl8 1 rep then move to your working sets.

SS has you lifting 60-70% for 5 reps for your first month about.

Do 100 reps with half your working weight as fast and is as few sets as possible

the 3x5s on SS are 80%+

. Anderson T, Kearney JT. Effects of three resistance training programs on muscular strength and absolute and relative endurance. Res Q. 1982;53:1–7.
>tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02701367.1982.10605218
"Statistical analyses revealed that the 20% improvement in maximum strength by the high resistance-low repetition group was greater than the 8 and 5% gains reported for the medium resistance-medium repetition and low resistance-high repetition groups, respectively."

. Campos GE, Luecke TJ, Wendeln HK, et al. Muscular adaptations in response to three different resistance-training regimens: specificity of repetition maximum training zones. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002;88:50–60.
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436270
"Maximal strength improved significantly more for the Low Rep group compared to the other training groups"

. Häkkinen K, Alen M, Komi PV. Changes in isometric force-and relaxation-time, electromyographic and muscle fibre characteristics of human skeletal muscle during strength training and detraining. Acta Physiol Scand. 1985;125:573–85.
Some shit about how resistance training affects isometric strength and endurance. Nothing about low volume high intensity vs high volume low intensity

. Peterson MD, Rhea MR, Alvar BA. Maximizing strength development in athletes: a meta-analysis to determine the dose– response relationship. J Strength Cond Res. 2004;18:377–82.
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142003
"Effect size data demonstrate that maximal strength gains are elicited among athletes who train at a mean training intensity of 85% of 1 repetition maximum (1RM), 2 days per week"

>tfw all your sources disagree with you
I could go on but I think this is enough.

The intensity starts out around 60-70% yes, and it will slowly increase to like 90% until you stall. But that's not relevant, since the studies says 60-70% AND 8-12 reps.

Start with the bar for a few sets until you feel warm. Less sets if you feel good, more sets if you feel tight etc.
Then start with 50% of your 1RM (or working wieght works also) and do 3-4 more sets with increasing weight but decreasing reps until you hit your working weight.

So if you're goal is 3x5 @ 100, it might look like this:

Few sets of bar only.
50 1x5
70 1x5
80 1x4
90 1x3
100 3x5

Something like that.

Anyone who argues lower intensity is better than high intensity is a full blown fucktard

have some common sense

Sheiko?

This. If you want to lift as heavy as possible the bulk of your training should consist of lifting things that are as heavy as possible.

I kinda agree. I've made the best progress doing a lot of volume at the highest intensity I can manage and hitting lots of heavy singles and triples

thats alot of warming up desu

Greg Nuckols advocated for higher volume in one of his strengtheory posts. Should I start doing f x 5 instead of the GSLP-style 3x5+? I'm a beginner but i'm set pretty good form-wise.

As a beginner if you're still making progress on your LP, don't worry about it. Once you become intermediate and start to weekly LP, up either volume or intensity when you start to stall after a while on your program

Too much warming up in my opinion. Doing 1x5 with 60% and 1x3 with 80% with 1-2 minutes rest before you start your 3x5 work-set has been sufficient for me and I haven't had problems with fatigue.

He says to do what you're doing now until you can't make progress anymore, then add a little more volume.

pic related

Too much? I feel like this is the bare minimum. It's how both SS & Sheiko does it. Of course the heavier the working set the more you have to warmup, but yeah.

I run Sheiko intermediate, warmups are 1x5@50% and 1-2x4@60%

Lifting talk like this was fun when strong people were doing it (Marcel, Norse, etc).

Now it just looks like a couple weak faggots in a nerdy slapfight over literally nothing.

WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT THIS NUANCED SHIT FOR BEGINNERS. Lift shit, try hard, don't overthink it, and don't listen to trannies or tranny orbiters.

THAT'S IT.

If you still suck, then find a new hobby.

Pay me.

>just do 100reps with 135, it works brah

Vids of lifts? No? didnt think so, opinion discarded lol,, you're just another tiny twinkshit shit talking others on the internet
Can't be the tough guy IRL so you use Veeky Forums as escapism
No lift posting obsessed faggot

Are you the fag who suggested 3x8-12 is optimal? Because then you started it and got btfo by your own sources. Fuck off.

If not, this is /plg/. Discussing the differences in training approach is literally what this thread is for.

Well, his warmup sets varies based on the intensity of the work sets, so what I said is still true. The rules are basically like this:

If 70% or below: 2 warmup sets, 50%, 60%.

If 75% or 80%: 3 warmup sets, 50%, 60%, 70%.

If 85%: 4 warmup sets, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%.

If 90%: 5 warmup sets, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 85%.

So if you apply the same logic to a LP program, like SS, where the weight is probably around 75%-85%, you'd use 3-4 warmup sets + any extra empty bar sets.

kys. the trap is this boards jason bloho. regurgitating articles, looking shite after years of hormones and with an army of nut huggers

uh yes and here you are obsessing over "the trap" as per usual

Literally nothing in his post even talked about trappy, you obsessed faggot lol

Craving the tranny dick are we?

wow you're so smart and oldfag how cool

ye just lift ironlyf am i rite

lel you should crosspost this to /r/Veeky Forums brah

Yep. Everytime people list sources like that first thing I do is ask for links. 99% of the time the sources are bullshit or irrelevant.

Who would you listen to? Anonymous clearly know more since he's not a full blown fucktard.

Are you beta orbiter n 36 or n 112?

a powerlifting thread is not the place for
>literally ss beginner
training approaches Tbh lad

Ok mr. President of PLG

why do you feel i am wrong?

No faggot. Just make believe that I'm not strong.

I was hitting 345x10 on squat, 265x5 on bench, and 435x6 on deadlift by using 5/3/1 without even knowing that it was a "shit program". That was ONE year into training.

Know why? I try hard, and I like my hobby. I'm not using powerlifting forums as an escape from being a literal faggot, out to try and argue why a program keeps me weak.

>getting into powerlifting is not about powerlifting
k

Is there any difference between doing max effort singles to failure while fresh vs fatiguing yourself first and doing max effort singles which will naturally be at a lighter weight?

Forgot to mention the reps as well:

For Squat & Bench it's usually starts with 1x5, with a decreasing rep for each warmup set, but never down to 2 reps.

So even if you have 4 warmup sets it would look like

1x5 50%
1x4 60%
1x3 70%
1x3 80%

Sometimes the warmups are 1x3 throughout, not quite sure why, maybe just to keep the volume in check? Trappy probably knows more about this. On the deadlifts the warmups are usually like that, so something like this:

1x3 50%
1x3 60%
1x3 70%

Biggest takeaway? Start with 50%, increase 10% for each warmup set until you reach your working weight. Decrease reps as you feel to not exhaust yourself.

So I was right, you're just another tiny twinkshit shit talking others on the internet
Can't be the tough guy IRL so you use Veeky Forums as escapism
No lift posting obsessed faggot

My best bench is only around 300 lbs, but I do:

bar x 5
1/2 pl8 x 3-5
1 pl8 x 1-2

and then im done because boris starts you at working sets around 50%.

531 isnt shit?

its fucking simple, designed to get you big and strong and yield results for a long time, and yet people still fuck it up

"this week is 3+, ill do 3 reps then"

you honestly think starting ss is
>getting into powerlifting?
why are beginners so caught up with wanting to call themselves powerlifters?

well he did say 'shit program' because you are allowed to think anything different with being shit on here because certain people say it and then it gets parroted around as usual

The quotes implied sarcasm, big guy.

Lol. Stay mad that you still don't match my first year progress.

If you don't like lifting, do something else. You clearly don't have the temperament for it.

user is the strongest poster in plg

shut the fuck up

You lift the right amount of reps with the right amount of weight to progress in the right direction.

You do the highest recoverable volume in the highest managable intensity. But aguing high intentisy is inherently better is wrong.

After about 2-4 weeks of adding weight, yes.
It is relevant.

The point is beginners will make better gains lifting submaximally for a while as opposed to utting them under maximal weights their first day in the gym.

does 531 allow for faster progression than 2.5 lbs per month or whatever the standard version has you do?

maybe i haven't read it well enough

>you honestly think starting ss is getting into powerlifting?
It literally is though. You do the main lifts every workout with the goal in mind to increase your strength as much as possible. How is that training for powerlifting for a beginner

>you need to deadlift at least 600lbs if you want to call yourself someone who's training for powerlifting
Being this elitist is exactly what alienates beginners and spectators from the sport.

>
>does 531 allow for faster progression than 2.5 lbs per month or whatever the standard version has you do?

>maybe i haven't read it well enough

Then read the god damned ebook. It's free if you know where to look.

Beyond 531 has 25+ fucking templates ready to fly for all schedules and abilities, but the tranny calls it a meme so fuck it, right?

you know you load the bar yourself right?

progress as fast as you feel you are able

Can I take my bench from 115 to 145 in my second year of lifting at 66

get comfy
>youtube.com/watch?v=AnKl5MSqFNU

>t. breaking own promises again

Sure, but even loading 10 lbs on, say bench, a month, would lead to a 120 lbs increase in a year, which doesn't seem likely in regards to this post.

>It literally is though.
you litterally dont know what powerlifting is
and who are these people that have dedicated themselves to competing in powerlifting on their first day in the gym
doesnt anyone just start lifting because they want to lift, and at a later stage start decide to progress into competing
beginners need to be putting on muscle before worrying about anything else

>Being this elitist is exactly what alienates beginners
im not elitist, ive encouraged many into the sport, although if you are on ss, dont worry about it, spend a bit of time lifting

>spectators
come on now
having more 3 plate deadlifters running about isnt going to draw in the spectators and they are irrelevant anyway

>as fast as you are able

take it by feel, numbers on a screen do not take into account the variables of your life/rest/diet

You might have to train hard for more than one year to get strong.

>a 120 lbs increase in a year
stop thinking like this, progress slows and stalls happen on every program
and even the rate of progress becomes irrelevant, enjoy lifting and take what you can get

i cant beat my depression and ive come to a dead end
i burned many bridges because i couldn't contain myself to the few people there to listen

im all alone and i want to kms

If I had a dollar for every post the tranny made with his trip off, I'd be as rich as Sean claims to be.

>i cant beat my depression and ive come to a dead end
>i burned many bridges because i couldn't contain myself to the few people there to listen

>im all alone and i want to kms
THEN GET THE FUCK OFF /PLG/

You and the tranny go to /adv/ or /lgbt/.

Trappy I'm running SS and im doing 5x3 as you said thats the same as 3x5

is this okay?

Trappy is it okay if I do chins instead of power cleans on SS?

Trappy is it okay if I do 3x12 for accessories or should I do 3x10 for strength and muscle?

me too man.
When you die inside none of these will matter.
Just live

trappy should I wear heels for deadlifts?

trappy what is 3(2x + y)

pls im stuck on my homework

trappy why did my dad leave me

what the fuck kind of math is that?

letters and shit

Literally 0

It's not the same.

You're supposed to do both chins and power cleans.

Do deadlifts if you don't want to power clean.

Same thing.

No unless it feels much better that way.

He was hurtin sorry bby

6x + 3y

trappy why do i like someone who hurts me a lot

finally got onto some halfway decent wifi and was able to get video onto my laptop and make webm of skills test.

anyways I hope you all had a great 2016

I hope you all have a great 2017 too!

Nice goin' alex poo

trappy will I ever get my life back?

2/10
no numbers
wrong order

>well done tho

Nice. What numbers did you Hit?

kek I had made webms since you posted the first time

tyvm I appreciate u

you did see he posted those same lifts himself already?

Hey trappy - I have my first meet in 4 weeks. I'm late beginner/early intermediate (150/87/170 @ 78). Do you have any recs. on what should I run leading up to to the meet?

If I were you I'd keep doing your normal routine and not bother peaking.

Of course take it easy the week of competition.

But im not a 40kilo tranny so what do I know.

see pic

>asq sem namorada fofinha levantadora de peso

here just because I wasn't happy with that webm either

Because you want to like them.

Depends. Are you willing to fight for it?

>lbs
9/10

great improvement

How do I get over them? How do I move post good memories?

>If I were you I'd keep doing your normal routine and not bother peaking.

That was my initial thought desu.

Interesting, cheers gbro. I know some BPU lads doing a Folkestone qualifier at some point this year, are you doing that?

OK thanks trappy I'll have a look.

i am entered but im not sure now, back feels a bit stiff and im starting a new job so dont want the added stress of a comp

>How do I get over them? How do I move post good memories?

Should you be asking a mentally ill person with a 41% suicide attempt risk these questions?

Also, this is a place for powerlifting. If not lifting related, take it to private chat.

How do I report this post

>41%

that has to be false, right?

if its true, wow