The Gut Bacteria Diet

What does Veeky Forums think of this year's fad diet?

Other urls found in this thread:

medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314156.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a bit misleading.

I'm a microbiologist who does a lot of work in the area of altering microbial gut flora via dietary intake. The foods listed in the picture all use microbes in one way or another to alter the product into a food with unique taste, It doesn't necessarily mean those microbes will make your gut flora more healthy or help you lose weight. You could just replace all the foods with alcohols if that was the premise.
Just changing your diet to more vegetables and fibre and less processed food and sugars will make your gut flora more healthy.

So is there no evidence at all that "probiotic" foods actually transfer microbes to the gut flora?

Of course they will make it to the gut along with most other bacteria that are hiding in or on anything else you consume.
The question is how long do those actual bacteria stay there and actually do any good, or is it the foods that come with the bacteria that are actually giving you the health benefits.

Last I read, if you don't get enough fibre your own gut bacteria will start eating you

medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314156.php

boiled pinecones

Actually that's one of the problems with fat people: they have abused their bodies so much they have killed all their gut bacteria. It literally doesn't matter how good they try to treat the bacteria because there is none left alive to multiply.

Most of that stuff is decently healthy anyway so no reason not to eat it.

You regularly shed old intestinal epithelium cells and regenerate new cell linings all the time. There is no doubt bacteria in the gut that end up consuming it or at least parts of it as food.

The general rule I've come to live by is: If there is anything there that bacteria could utilize as a food source then there will be bacteria there that do.

In the study mice were given the mice equivalent of e-coli in humans. They noted that a high fiber diet protected against the spread of the infection.

So unless you got e-coli you are safe from being eaten.

The best part about eating high fibre is it can vastly reduce the populations of bacteria that utilize simple sugars from processed foods. These bacteria also happen to hijack your intestines endocrine system which causes you to be hungry all the time and get cravings.

Could you show me one human natural gut flora study where they didn't detect E.coli?

E.coli are usually naturally occurring components of the gut flora, they are opportunistic pathogens with a variety of virulence genes and generally are trying to get into the body form the gut, however, with a normal gut flora they rarely succeed. Except for instances where they get hold of toxin secretion genes resulting in food poisoning.

Hey MicroB(e)ro, what would you recommend as a source of fiber? Is bread a decent source? What about legumes?

Not him but oats. Seriously: why do you think bodybuilders eat oats? It has a lot of fiber in it.

Any plant based non-processed food with very low amounts of simple sugars and carbohydrates.

Definitely oats are a great way to increase fibre.

To tail off this, I think some people were recommending taking a probiotic with protein shakes. Something about increases the amount of protein that gets broken down to be used. Sound worthwhile or?

Your stomach acid breaks down protein into amino acids, not bacteria.

I have noticed that I get bloated from certain foods if I stop eating them for awhile.
>Ate high fiber w/ lots of veggiea
Got bloated for a few weeks then got used too it.
>Stopped consuming diary for a few months unintentionally
When I started eating diary again I got horribly bloated and it didn't go away for a few days
>Ate beans for a few months instead of rice
Bloated few a weeks then it stopped

Your gut flora generally just depends on what you are eating at any given time. If you have been eating like shit for years like most people it is going to take longer for it to adapt to a new diet.

@microbro

is candida a meme

Quest bars

Your gut flora literally changes and evolves to better attack whatever shit it is you're eating. Eating something that requires bacteria to produce changes nothing. Don't fall for the memes, newyearfag, just eat a normal diet that meets your macros, micros and makes you feel right.

Gut flora aren't really sensitive enough to warrant a specific diet. They're going to be just fine provided you're eating a balanced diet anyway and treating your body well. You'd only need to worry about eating pro-biotic food if you were taking antibiotics (which would cause them to dwindle or outright die depending on how long the course is). Otherwise pro-biotics won't have an effect - your body is very good at keeping the populations of gut flora alive.

As for their actual function, they mostly just aid and optimise metabolism (I don't know the specifics).

However, if you do manage to kill them all you're gonna have a bad time, and will quite possibly have to have a fecal matter transplant (which is a pretty fucking disgusting procedure).

t. a Microbiology student

>Eating bacteria

you fucking carnist

don't bacteria reproduce/ if they get there won't they multiply?

your immune system works by essentially killing anything that either expresses a foreign "signal", or expresses no "signal" at all (its not exactly a signal but thats the best way to explain it.

Your immune system has learned from pretty much the day you were born not to kill the bacteria you need in your body (i.e gut bacteria), but will kill pretty much anything else that gets in. So you don't have to worry about "bad" bacteria hiding out in your gut, your immune system still reaches there and will kill them eventually.