Do you have to be handsome to work in corporate jobs?

This is what I've noticed. Most corporate jobs are filled with rugged, handsome and masculine males who all do some kind of physical activity. I live in France, but in our equivalent of STEM fields, I rarely find the same good-looking people.

Is looking good a must in some professions? Could any of you guys give some hindsight?

Good looks get promotions, it's just the halo effect in action.
Incompetence gets you... stranded where you are, it's the Peter effect.
The result is that, at the low end of the pole, people are selected mostly by looks and positive social contact with their manager, and will then move up until their limits catch up with them.
The ugly antisocial ultracompetents will be passed up during that first stage.

men who are more handsome than their boss are less likely to get the promotion.

Looking good is a must in EVERYTHING.

As someone who isn't an outsider you only see the people in roles that require people who are outgoing and extroverted. There's plenty of positions behind the scenes filled with autismos with poor social skills, quants etc

>Peter effect.

It's a marvellous lot of bullshit though.

No. You need to be smart and driven.

I worked at a large law firm for eight years. Some of the most powerful people at the firm were ugly fucking goblins, obese, or both.

If you can't make it in the corporate world, don"t blame your looks, it's just a cop-out.

The way I see it is that smarter people dont tend to look after their bodies as much. People in stem are usually just uglier for whatever reason. If you had to compare a chad and a nerdy manlet which one would you think would be in stem? Not the chad.

this could be true

corporate gigs are about selling yourself, which requires lots of confidence. it takes a fuck load of confidence to insert yourself into a redundant management position.

So confidence stems from looks?

If intelligence isn't related to good looks, this would mean that the only reason people pick STEM fields is because they're ugly?

True. Most people who have more analytical minds tend to be more introverted. As an example, I'm a fatass 6'3" physics and maths student who is trying to lose weight but the notion still applies. I am not as introverted as my peers though as most of them are either really skinny and small or just awkward. A lot of them have no interest in improving their bodies or whatever else might be lacking in their life. The best looking guys in the program were hard headed njrotc members that did terribly but they were also the most extroverted and could be seen by their nice bodies and looks. I am definitely less introverted than a lot of people in my class and because of that i have always desired a better body.

Well i shouldnt say they are ugly but rather less confident and more introverted which arent really desirable traits in a business related position

why wouldn't confidence stem from looks? don't you agree that attractive people get treated differently compared to ugly people? don't you think that would give you a worldview where you hold a higher sense of self worth?

i'm just armchair sociology spitballing here, but it makes intuitive sense to me. uglier people probably invest more in their talents that don't require "just showing up."

it's all very nuanced, but i'm sure if you could objectively measure attractiveness, you'd find more STEM workers in the middle of the bell curve.

Partly true. Smart is not educated. Educated people tend to not me that fit because of time constraints, but they are in better shape, usually, than your average slob.

Smart people on the other hand, regardless of education level, tend to be more attractive and in a good physical condition.

That part about smart people is completely false. That is, if you are talking about intelligence.

It helps everywhere.

>Most corporate jobs are filled with rugged, handsome and masculine males who all do some kind of physical activity
You've watched American Psycho one too many times, Pierre.

> work for globo-IT-Corp
>lots of autists in the field
>autists make excellent engineers
>autists make horrible managers
>autist blame lack of promotion to manger on "lack of good looks"

Middle management is filled with fat ugly slobs, but they have a modicum of social skills compared to the grunts. Upper management is full of Chads and Stacies.

STEM IS nerdshit so of course you will see nerds there.
Most of those guys were outsiders in high school for whatever reason and they picked up non mainstream interests and later find their niche in life which still suits them. Nerd shit.

Its a great generalization, but I've been to technical universities. Its just that way.

It's almost never a dealbreaker though.

Smart people are good looking and look after their bodies? I know lots of really brilliant coders that have no interest at all in their health/looks and they look like big sack of potatoes and smell aweful. I just don't get how someone can be so smart in some fields and be total idiots in other fields. Caring about you own health seems to be motivated by other things than intelligence. And I also know some really unintelligent females that are really into health and fitness and look soo fucking good. Or maybe she's just pretending to be dumb so males don't feel threatened by her intelligence? Probably not.

Everyone in my KPMG office is fat as shit so no

People generally react to you better the better you look. Which means better looking people get used to people reacting well to them. Which increases their confidence. And so on so on virtuous cycle.

>Is looking good a must in some professions?
yes
>sysadmins and weird java & adobe acrobat experts don't have to look good
they're already rejected from the society, they don't compete

i'm fat and probably pretty ugly and have mediocre social skills but I landed a job in investment banking. depending on the field, people care more about competence than what you look like. it will get more social when I start moving up and have to bring in clients, so maybe that will change.

It's literally not a must in any profession

Anyone who thinks so isn't a professional and watches too much tv

Are those tech experts content with how they look, being ostracized for it? I was headed into that path until I had an epiphany, and I did a complete 180 regarding career path, appearance and personnality. It feels much better, and rewarding.

Looks matter if your skills are a dime a dozen.

Looks don't matter if you have otherwise proved that you produce value.

Also, the people that produce the most value at work tend to sacrifice their health to do so. Kinda hard to workout after a 10 hour day and two hours of commuting.

I live in an office drone environment. Mst of the men are beta fucks.

Good for you, I really mean it. Caring about one's health pays dividends later in life when the body can't deal with the constant abuse. I cut out almost all animal products and sugar and have energy all day.

>KPMG
Sup brah, how much you hating life?

I'm on 5 different year ends

i wish KPMG hired me
;_;

But how do you get your protein?

Good looking people are rated better on their soft skills (like being able to talk to customers) and thus tend to do better in jobs that require those skills. In STEM where you're mostly judged based on hard skills looks don't matter as much.

Also I don't think corporate types are innately better looking than STEM types, they just put more effort into how they look. Most STEM people I know are objectively pretty average looking and most of their ugliness comes from the fact that they dress like shit and don't exercise.

i work for citigroup and im ugly as fuark. looks are an excuse. half the people that work there are fucking retarded. I see no problem with my plans to outpromote them

desu if I had good skin I'd be a chad but >tfw 32 and acne

>he derives confidence from what others think of him rather than what he thinks of himself
not gonna make it desu

Can you explain to me what the fuck do you guys actually do? I unironically have trouble understanding how something as general and vague as 'professional services' can even be a description of a company desu.

yes. People who tell you otherwise are in denial that they won the genetic lottery.

they're probably acc/fin guys
like auditors or something

>STEM is for smart people
Peak meme
Intelligence is related to good looks, in the sense that beautiful people are generally more intelligent, moral, virtuous and all-around better human beings than ugly people. In fact, they're almost like a different species from dregs like us. People pick up STEM fields to a) distract themselves from their miserable, ugly and poor existence and b) desperately hope to find the kind of validation they've never been able to before (they won't).

t. Chad supremacist and unironic supporter of incel genocide

>thinking you are the first and only human being in all of history that does not derive his self worth largely from the opinion of others about himself.

can you not read? i was pointing out that that poster based his confidence on his looks, whereas normal humans have matured. i said nothing about being special you fuckwit

Attractiveness and social skills is a positive feedback loop, it's all based on positive reinforcement.

Intelligence and attractiveness are also correlated. Not all intelligent are super attractive, but they certainly look different to unintelligent people. You may have noticed that.

So the most successful people are attractive and intelligent.

...but then again, it's not that simple. Guys like Trump and Putin don't seem that attractive.

>but in our equivalent of STEM fields

Isn't that just STEM?

not at mine

Chads and Stacies make up 9 out of 10 people who are staff and senior accountants. i don't know how i was hired when everyone else is good looking

3 out of 10 of managers are chads and stacies
1 out of 10 partners are chads and stacies

>KPMG
>Killing People Making Graves

Legit assassins ain't gonna advertise themselves as such

maybe at the start they are, but they get fat and lose their hair the longer they work there

That's cause it's KPMG.

Come to Deloitte or at least PWC if you wanna work with beautiful people.

>If you can't make it in the corporate world, don"t blame your looks, it's just a cop-out
Uggo detected. I work for an international engineering consulting firm and have seen it in action: attractive and social people get the best raises and promotions.

Height matters too. Think i'm memeing? Say that to my base salary that's 50% higher than my introverted, average looking manlet coworkers.

In a perfect world competency and drive would be the only determining factors, but it's simply not true. Look at male versus female average salaries in the same field. It's not sjw bullshit; it's well documented.

nah at Amazon it's filled with ugly ass nerds. Lots of hot chicks tho.

I have a ton of friends who work as traders and financial analysts and they're all pretty much goblins.

But they outmoney pretty much everybody by miles.

False the best boss i've ever ad was semi autist.

>held 0 double standards
>favored no one
>knew exactly which situations were appropriate to bend the rules.
>promoted several times within the 2 years.

>the Peter effect.
byootiful

Woah there tiger, why you hating on EY, we have some qt3.14's

Fuck all you faggots

Design and creative professions are where the best lookin people are

Get your Jewish corporate Bain McKinsey WASP fagfest and make something cool and useful

What do they pay you guys in accounting?

Corporate propaganda. Corporations are totalitarian institutions. Did you ever see an ugly Soviet in Soviet propaganda?

Not enough

1st year 54
2nd year 57
3rd year 64

i never said that i base my confidence purely on looks. i think it'd be naive to think that attractive people don't have a higher sense of self-worth out of the gait, though. i'm proud of my accomplishments and haven't given a fuck in a very long time.

consider the fact that you're posting on Veeky Forums right now. i doubt you're very plugged into what "normal" people tend to value, much less people high up on the socioeconomic ladder. consider the fact that the average person actively curates a positive image (literally, in the case of instagram) of themselves through social media on a daily basis. most people fucking care how they are perceived by others, dude.

What city? I'm working at national and my first year pay is laughable at 57

Philadelphia

Bruh we got some aussie cunts

Yes, and you can see this in any fucking country.

I wouldnt say its required, I work at Costcos corporate center and youd be surprised at the amount of slugs that hold supervisory positions

Ive only been there 8 months but its clear that being fit and fashionable goes a long way.

everyone knows me and mires my size and strength and the fact that I do my job well and I make every effort to show up dressed and looking presentable.

One of the younger supes spergged one day and talked about my firearms and how I sound like moufasa

>knew exactly which situations were appropriate to bend the rules

An autist wouldn't do this.

>One of the younger supes spergged one day and talked about my firearms and how I sound like moufasa

The fuck. Was he jealous?

It's not really looks.

It'smore the fact that generally the type of people likely to have the qualifications for these types of jobs are usually driven and determined to be the best, and quite narcissistic.

The result? Good academic achievement and good physical dedication to match

> recession hits
> Thanks Obama
> show up to first job interview in months
> No experience
> " You have the face were looking for so well give you a chance even though 1-2 years experience is preferred"

Been working at corporate HQ ever since

>good physical dedication to match
complete meme, looks are genetics

>tfw i'm in my 4th year and only getting paid 65, in canadian dollars, in the GTA

Professionals hardly actually do anything. Computers have made everyone so productive that a "full time" white collar workers spend thirty hours a week doing doing unimportant nonsense or pretending to be busy. Promotions occur for not looking depressed in spite of being utterly useless.

t. White collar worker

PwC reporting, can confirm lots of beautiful ladies and guys here, they are the majority. But we also have some really fucking ugly people. Like, so ugly I get sick to my stomach when I have to interact with them.

Not many lifters though, so just natural chads and stacys.
In my department it's just me and one other person who actually lift.

If you make more than a beta introvert it's because you're better at your job than them, not because your boss took out a ruler and gave you a salary multiplier for being tall.

You've been on Veeky Forums too long

Yeah not everyone has a shit job like you mate

>Like, so ugly I get sick to my stomach when I have to interact with them.

That is possible? What the fuck. Are they just unkempt, or astonishingly disformed?

Hard to explain without using images of them and thus doxxing myself.
But the people I'm thinking of are not necessarily fat (most of them are, but that's not the worst about them).
It's everything, how they walk and carry their bodies. How they dress, how they keep their hair.. It's like they cannot do anything in a normal manner. Everything they say, combined with their facial expressions just make me sick. Specially the ugly ladies

>tfw ugly as shit

God damn.

Literally how I got my position in analytics. Falling upwards in a corporate career ladder is like the passive racial trait of being a white person

Yop, t'es d'où ?
Sinon je dirais que ça aide d'être pas trop moche/mal foutu. Tout dépend de la personne en face.
Je suis dans l'informatique et la plupart des gens sont des déchets, du coup quand tu prends un minimum soin de toi, ça se remarque en général.

I got hired this past year in an advanced tech software sales role in a company.

I sat down with my boss and asked him why he hired me out of all the other candidates.

He said

>To be honest you looked like a handsome, well put together guy, I could genuinely see you shaking hands with clients and being a face out there for the company

He said other nice things too but this genuinely stuck out for me.

I dress well and keep myself at the top. I'm in line for a promotion this year as well.

I had ZERO experience in this field and they asked for a minimum of 2 years.

>sales
There's your answer. Salespeople are handsome retards. Who cares how little you have going on between your ears when flirting is the best sales tool?

>sales
KEK, literally bottom feeders

Salut mec, ça fait plaisir de discuter avec un francophone.

Je suis de la banlieue Parisienne, dans le 94 précisément.

Je suis dans la santé, mais quelques potes diplômés de Centrale m'ont avertit que le physique pouvait compter un maximum dans le monde de l'entreprise. Comme je sais que bon nombre de personnes sur Veeky Forums sont dans ce domaine, j'en ai fait un thread.

Yes. But the main point is teeth, skin & hygiene. If you have these, you're set. Don't even need to be a hotshot.

>being mad at being ugly

It's pretty hard bro.

>false
>>>/reddit/

also, anecdotal evidence doesn't your statement true. Autists pick up poorly on social ques and wouldn't be likely to manage people without a lot of conflict or headache

It was a grill, one of the younger ones

I thought being an ugly dude is bad but being an ugly chick means you're literally worthless.
Also, corporate life makes us into fucking zombies with no personalities because we can get sued or fired for an off color joke.

Why can't they dress properly?
They're filthy rich.

>6'3 male model
>electronic engineering student with 3.7 GPA
>work part time as a waiter
>confident, good social skills even if I don't get a chance to use them much because I'm so busy

>tfw normies are jealous of me because nerds aren't meant to look this good

EY London here, not enough talent in the office

He wanted your boipucci

Can confirm.

Think I can guess who you are!!

Take accutane

>salesperson

Wew lad. Never post here again

Yea you should but it helps equally to be a big nigga too bro. I mean like, 230 lbs 6' computer programmer with Masters = g/o/dmachine and instabitches brah.

>sales
You're the white equivalent of a nigger warehouse worker
I fucking hate people who act like hot shots and then I find out they're a car salesman at an auto lot

How easy is it to maintain a lifting lifestyle as a physician assistant?

You can probably squeeze that one hour workout time into your schedule if you are motivated.