Rowing

Is rowing a god-tier exercise Veeky Forums ?

Any regular rowers here?

Other urls found in this thread:

johnseabrook.com/feel-no-pain/
homerower.com/#bestpicks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It is god-tier. I am not a rower, but I aspire to be one day.

Lurking for potential benefits of rowing

Just get a fucking boat and train for functional strength.

College rower here, love the sport and the girls are hot as shit

used to row at uni, lots of backsnapping, be careful if doing it alongside a programme with lots of squats and deadlifts

I row on a machine for 5 min as a warmup to deadlifting its goat tier desu

Former rower here. It's one of the most GOAT sports you can do. You need minimal experience, just a lot of attention. Think of rowing as doing a horizontal, rather than a vertical, power clean with an arm pull to finish.

If you do row as a mainstay of your training, make it the focus. Everything else is subordinate to rowing. If doing in as cardio, K.I.S.S., and don't overdo it. It's more difficult than you think it is after a heavy workout.

This is an article from the New Yorker. Great read.

johnseabrook.com/feel-no-pain/

Been rowing since I was 12, will probably row in college when I get out of the military. It's god tier cardio but doesn't really help with lifts. I do it when I take rest days from running because it's low impact and doesn't wreak havoc on your joints. It's good for cutting too because you burn way more calories over running and retain muscle mass.

Frank Underwood mode

seabrook is such a stupid culture critic.

no but incline bench dumbbell row is the god-tier row exercise

Thanks user, will read. I bought a concept 2 model d back in late september and have been using it regularly since. Took a couple months really before I feel like I really got into the flow of things, but now I love it.

I had been doing 3-4 days a week 30-60min per session (avg 40min), but with the new year I want to step it up to 5-6 days. It's my main exercise, occasionally do some bodyweight stuff. Right now I'm looking for weight loss. I find I get super restless and just kinda feel down/tired/weird on offdays.

Anyway, pic related is my logbook month summary since I got the erg in September

whoa, look at those december numbers.

how much weight have you lost?

Rower here
>s rowing a god-tier exercise Veeky Forums ?
Yes it is, you can do a thirty minutes of 10x500m and you would feel tired and like you've done a workout, it does a large amount of muscles(Legs, arms, shoulders, back) without the risk of injury that running or cycling has; and yes it is the godtier cardio exercise

Nice work man! What kind of splits are you holding for those pieces? Just curious.

Around 60lbs so far. But I really credit that all to diet / limiting calories. Don't get me wrong, I now think exercise is amazing. The health benefits are incredible and it just makes me feel so so good. And it certainly can be a helpful part of weight loss, but yeah, all about those calories.

I weighed about 285lbs a year ago and was diagnosed diabetic (a1c was like 7.4%). Got serious about losing the weight right around end of August. Weighed in at 213lbs this morning. Blood test back around thanksgiving gave me an a1c of 5.4% (

Awesome job.

I feel pride for you right now that fathers must feel for their children. You're going to make it man.

kek

It usually feels like it takes me a long time to warm up / get going. So for first ten minutes, prob 2:30-2:40. 2:10-2:15 is a pretty good spot where I feel like I'm working but not pushing too hard.

I've never sat down and done a 2k. But I think if I really pushed I could probably do 8:00.

I know there's a lot of room to improve especially if I can drop a good bit more weight.

pic related is today's rowing adventure.

low rate interval work (1:30/2:00r, rate 16-24, 4-5 times) was pretty good for my deadlift. the rhythm required makes it not really accessible to non-rowers, though.

>not accessible to non rowers

Holy shit when I see dumbasses with the handle up by their chin at the finish and they don't even know they're doing anything wrong. I wanna correct people because Ive never seen anyone in the gym executing proper technique, but I'm not gonna sperg out like that

>pulling a steady 1:50 split at 24 spm
>some fag I know comes up to me after workout
>"dude why don't you do that faster you're not even getting a workout"
>he's doing 30 spm with 2 min splits

All my autism

Pretty good for starting out in september. I'm not sure how your anaerobic system is, but if you're a sprinter, you could easily break 8 for a 2k. If not, and assuming you're a young adult, you should be able to drop your time pretty quickly

Anyone done open sea rowing?

Its great craic

Well you're certainly autistic alright

Rowed through highschool and most of college (dropped for more academics).

2k PR 6:34 at 200lbs
any other rowers with 2k PRs here?

>60 fucking pounds since September
Are you the guy who eats 36 egg whites a day? I am thoroughly impressed.

My current PR is 6:42. I'm a frosh lightweight

Will I like rowing if I fucking detest running?

damn user you're really, truly making it.
good job!

depends on the reason you detest running. For example, if you hate running because it takes effort then no, you will not like rowing either.

I can't stand running and I really enjoy rowing. It feels like I've achieved something when I have a back/legs pump, after running I just have sore kneees

I literally ended up getting a doctors note in highschool saying I wasn't allowed to run for more than a couple miles because it destroyed my body. Rowing literally never hurt me physically.

It's very tough mentally though because you're staring at a screen constantly recording how hard you're pulling. If you let up for a half second the machine will show you it. Also having your environment never change while repeating the same motion over and over again can be a strain for some.

>It's very tough mentally though because you're staring at a screen constantly recording how hard you're pulling. If you let up for a half second the machine will show you it. Also having your environment never change while repeating the same motion over and over again can be a strain for some.

I ground out insane in the membrane on Warcraft years ago, that parts not an issue for me.

I started rowing competitively around the time I started playing Wurm Online. Shit was babby mode compared to Wurm.

lol nah, but that shit did make me laugh. Eggs are delicious though.

Thanks

made me lol. I never got insane but I've done my fair share of grinding in WoW.

It's God tier for fitness
Not God tier for Veeky Forumsness

Thanks. I'm 28, 6'1, male, 215lbs atm. I've been sedentary and never exercised besides taking my dog for a walk for my whole life. Always room for improvement but yeah I won't be winning medals or anything at my age / health.

I was thinking about trying to join a local rowing club and get some experience rowing on the water. Seems like it could be fun.

Lads what is a good rowing machine to buy that isn't a million dollars? I'm a 6'5" lanklet and my body falls apart when I run, so rowing looks very appealing

I know nothing about rowing, just set it to the 30 min preloaded workout and go. Am I wasting my time or is this a legitimate thing?

don't underestimate yourself, 28 is still quite young biologically even if society thinks it isn't

You might find this of use.
homerower.com/#bestpicks