Sup Veeky Forums, just got a gym membership today and plan on starting tomorrow...

Sup Veeky Forums, just got a gym membership today and plan on starting tomorrow. I've been told Planet Fitness is kind of shit, but the employees seem pretty nice and there's a shit ton of equipment.
Any opinions? There's another gym across town but it's like $40 a month.

Other urls found in this thread:

planetfitness.com/news/fastest-growing-gym-america-has-10-memberships-and-gives-out-free-pizza-bagels-and-candy
m.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBb-8nWANA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Starting out at Planet Fitness isn't a bad idea to get you into the ritual of lifting and working out but once you get to the point were you're lifting actually heavy weight you're gonna need to find another gym without a Lunk Alarm.

It depends on what's your reasoning for joining the gym.

>Second day of 2017
>Falling for the Planet Fatness meme
You really don't understand, do you?

There is no squat rack.
You're not allowed to do deadlifts.
If you do ANY lifts of ANY kind that are ANYTHING more than what some weak fatty can do, they turn on the 'Lunk Alarm' and physically stop you, threaten to terminate your membership -- because you're 'intimidating' the fatties and weaklings that go there.
They'll tempt you with cookies and pizza and other shit food you shouldn't be eating, to make you FAT.

Run, m8, run for your life. Your life -- and your gains -- depend on it.

I heard my local Planet Fitness recently got rid of their barbells and dumbells over 70lbs. Good luck if you're there to get big.

Is the lunk alarm actually a common thing at PF or is it only at a select few of them? I know someone who goes there who says there isn't one

>
OP here, I wanted to get into power-lifting. I was a runner in Highschool but want the strength and size.

As far as lifting goes, you will outgrow PF pretty quickly when you realize most locations only have dumbbells that go to 70lbs, no squat racks, no benches, no barbells, no scales, and an alarm for making noise.

In that case, good luck trying to power-lift without doing any compound lifts.
Exactly what this guy says

Just start at an anytime fitness, or use a gym at your uni or school.

You don't need anything fancy when starting out

I'll ask them about it tomorrow then, I just thought it was a regular gym that you could do the normal stuff at... They said if I do the programs they run there, I should get pretty big.

(((they)))

Yeah if you're trying to powerlift planet fitness is the wrong place, they have no squat racks and no barbells so you literally cannot do compounds, which is 100% of powerlifting

What in the FUG is a "Lunk Alarm"?

>They said if I do the programs they run there, I should get pretty big.
They're lying to you. They don't want you to 'get big', they want you to pay them $10 a month for the rest of your life, while you make NO GAINS to speak of because of insufficient equipment and general discouragement for actually doing significant work.

Google 'Fitness 19', they only charge $10 a month and have benches, squat racks, all the weights you could ever lift, and people doing real training. There's even a competitive powerlifter that comes in to the one I go to, and the manager is an ex powerlifter.

Listen to this guy, OP. $40 a month ain't bad if it's a really good facility.

Planet Fitness is the smart car of lifting. It'll do what it's supposed to, but not very well, and you'll look like an idiot while doing it.

OP here. When I went in today to get the membership sorted out, there were people doing the upper-body circuits with power-lifter belts on. Would power lifting maybe be a class they run if that's the case?

>Would power lifting maybe be a class they run if that's the case?
No. You don't understand: 'Planet Fitness' is a SCAM. They make it out to be a 'safe place' for the fatties to come. Then they feed them pizza and shit that will certainly guarantee that they STAY fat forever, because they'll never change their eating habits that way. They want the fatties to STAY FAT forever, and pay them $10 a month, meanwhile the fatties feel like they're actually doing something -- but by design they PREVENT them from doing too much, so they stay fat and weak, permanent customers paying forever. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO 'POWERLIFT' ANYTHING THERE.

Go find a Fitness 19, or ANYWHERE else. Planet Fatness will RUIN you.

I've never been to a gym in my life. One of these opened nearby and I was given a 'free workout'. New years resolution and all, figured why not.

I know nothing about fitness. The gym was clean. Lots of treadmills! Very few weights. Oh... And it was pizza day??? There were several people using the few machines as dining room tables. Oh, and free tootsie rolls. In a gym!

I know nothing and I ran like hell. World Gym tomorrow hopefully will be better.

Good man, you passed the basic intelligence test! I see great things in your future.

Fuck, I already paid the year-long membership. I'll see if I can get a refund tomorrow.

Lmao, I don't believe you, this makes no sense. Why the fuck would a gym feed fat people pizza?

yall r idiots
where the fuck do u get the idea that pf doesnt have benches, racks, or weights over 70

never seen pizza day or tootsie rolls

do you guys literally live in cuck central or are you trolling, because this seems like shill thread

You don't have to believe me, and I don't have to convince you; GOOGLE IT. It's a well-known and documented FACT.

>found the Planet Fatness shill
Do they pay you by the word, or by the post?

>powerlifting
>a class they run
top kek

It's right on their website, SHILL.
planetfitness.com/news/fastest-growing-gym-america-has-10-memberships-and-gives-out-free-pizza-bagels-and-candy

PLANET FATNESS CONFIRMED FOR SCAM

PF is terrible, they have no equipment for compound exercises, they dont even have barbells or adjustable weights. I switched to golds and it was a real revelation, i couldnt believe how little PF has.

oh i forgot that fat fucks literally cant resist greasy foods, my bad

maybe you should try cancelling your membership and dieting instead of munching on fatty junk food while staring at a treadmill wondering what its like to be swole you cuck

Fuck anybody who says you can't make gains at planet fitness. When you're first starting out, the only thing that matters is that you're hitting all the major muscle groups and progressing. The gym, and even the routine don't matter beyond that

Up until two weeks ago, the only gym that I've used has been planet fitness. I've outgrown their weights by now, but I got 1.5 years out of the membership

Pic related is me

>Why the fuck would a gym feed fat people pizza?
But they do this!

>oh i forgot that fat fucks literally cant resist greasy foods, my bad
This like fuck just because they give out pizza and candy doesn't mean you have to eat it, for 10 dollar's a month its not a bad place to work out

You should probably just suck it up and go to Planet Fitness for ~3-6 months. Use the cardio machines, use the dumbbells, and if you find that you're disciplined enough to maintain a consistent gym schedule, then consider your year long PF membership a sunk cost and find another gym.

Alright OP.

Here's the almighty truth: Traditional conditioning requires free weights. The movements provided by free weights compound various muscle groups. This is the most optimal method of becoming stronger, because you're challenging you're entire body.
Machines are new to conditioning, and provide isolation to few or singular muscle groups. These are great for working around injuries and providing full resistance throughout a motion. Former is great in that you can continue training hard with injuries, latter is great in that there is better muscle exhaustion throughout a movement.

Planet fitness is wholely machines. You are able to become fit there. However, you must note that's your workouts are going to take longer than training with free weights with machines incorporated. If you can commit to working out all of your muscle groups at least twice a week, you'll see improvements just as you would with free weight training.

An example of a planet fitness routine would be:
>Chin-ups, or pull-ups to failure
>Lat pull down machine
>chest fly machine
>preacher curl machine
>Dips
>vertical leg raises or knee raises to failure
>Some deltoid machine

Then on another day
>Bulgarian squats to failure
>Calf raises
>Leg Press
>Leg curl
>Chin ups or pull ups
>vertical leg raises or knee raises
>dumbbell good mornings

It's important that you train to failure on machines, since these excercises are limited to what resistances the machine can produce. It's important to focus on pull up/chin ups/muscle ups and weighted squats, as these are compound movements that are available and will drastically decrease the time you spend working out as they will tire many muscles quickly. Variation is important: Hit all the muscle groups twice a week, but switch up the machines and movements to develop holistic muscle groups (deltoids are 3 different muscles, obliques need to be tackled,back muscles are large and separate, stabilizers will be an issue)

>laugh about lunk alarm
how dare you?

Holy shit, thanks user! I'll give PF a go tomorrow with that workout. I'll ask more about power lifting there tomorrow to.

Cont.

A year at planet fitness, consistently doing this will allow strength and muscle mass. Because powerlifting is your goal, buy a barbell and some weights and do the movements at home. While you produce the strength to do these movements at pf, you will also need the skills required to pull heavier weights.

After your membership ends, and if you have been on point on diet and training, you should move to a better gym with free weights and machines. You will need a power cage, squat rack, bench rack and optionally a deadlifting platform. Here, you can focus on the skill required to weights inaccessible at home.

PF is a trap for most people, in that they come in for the cardio machines. One day of bagels or one day of pizza a month isn't going to make your transformation fail. You're going to be the one that fails, because of poor nutrition outside of PF, poor sleep, not enough consistency.

The lunk alarm is a lie. You're not going to be grunting while doing machines to failure. You're not going to be called out for your poor fashion choices.

Most of fit are fatties, weaklings, and roiders. Almost all of fit are autistic in social situations, and rely on the net for their own impression of things (the PF hate is a bandwagon)

Get strong there for a year that you already paid for (it's in the contract), then move to a better gym to get body knowledge .

The lunk alarm is real holy kek

m.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBb-8nWANA

why the fuck would he buy a barbell and weights while also paying for a membership to PF? That would probably be more expensive than just going to the other, more expensive gym with more equipment.

yeah, this pretty much. it's perfect for a newbie. just get used the the gym atmosphere. go at least twice a week and make it a regular part of your life. after a year, if your still into it, then go to a real gym

That guy is the real autism.

I go to WOW for $10 a month. Barbells. As far as the eye can see.

Why go to PF for $10 a month and not have access to the equipment you need? Stupid.

>You're not going to be grunting while doing machines to failure.

I mean not every single set but the odds that you don't occasionally grunt or gasp for air are low

I'd rather not here WEEEWOOWEEEWEEEWOOOWEWEEEOWOOOO when I have to grunt

>would be more expensive then going to the other gym
It's past your bed time kiddo, but I'll explain this to you. 40 dollars a month right? That's 480 dollars a year. A cheap barbell set is around 200 dollars or so. You spend 280 dollars less, and you keep a barbell and set of weights to practice movements your whole life.

yeah and you buy the yearly membership for like 300 instead of going by the month...

So, at least 200 for any barbell worth having, figure 50 cents per lb of weight for the barbell, and a bench for the barbell at minimum... That's easily 600 dollars right there. Obviously OP doesn't have money like that, or else he wouldn't be going to PF. How would he afford all that just to supplement his 10 dollar a month membership? Are you retarded?

I get a yearly membership for 220 and they have every single piece of equipment I could ever want.

OP didn't chose to buy a year at WOW. OP has a year at PF. Maybe OP doesn't have a WOW around him. OP needs to get strong, OP needs to learn the lifts.

OP can get strong at PF, OP can learn the movements lightweight for now, then cruise progressively a year later at a real gym.

I put that simply because I know we're not on the same page as each other. As for the grunting part, you can make noises. You can let down the machine plates or drop them even if your failing on the last set. But, you can't let out your death rattle like you would on heavy deadlifts (I am loud. I am very loud whenever deadlifting. I don't go to PF.) There's nothing at PF that takes the energy that deadlifting, or any other of the big Four, would necessitate.

PF is okay for OP, he didn't totally fuck himself off. He's just going to have to go through a non traditional route to get where we all did after our first year.

Are you saying that OP should not lift for a month straight?

OP doesn't need OLY equipment to get the movements down. When he emerges a year later with the body capable of doing heavy lifts, that's when they're going to be beneficial.

I don't go to public gyms anymore. I pay nothing. I do compound lifts, hard bodyweight and machine work.

I'm saying OP would be better off buying a yearly membership to a gym that actually has all the equipment he needs.... Anything else is inconveniencing himself. A year of machines to prepare to lift a barbell is overkill as fuck, he can start with a barbell and not waste a year.

I agree that it sucks. I started with barbells and then incorporated machines. That's definetly the better way to go. But he already has a year membership and may not be able to find himself to commit to fitness. Two memberships would be a waste if that's the case.

I'd like him to start with a barbell as well. I'm also sure that he can do a barbell now. The cheap oly barbell sets that go for 200 bucks include weights up to 3pl8. When he starts next year, he definetly will not be at just the barbell. Hell, he might even start at 1/2/3/4.

As someone who worked at PF, you can make it. Theres a success story in the thread and there are some that make it.

You're devotion will be tested. pF lacks proper personal trainers or nutritionists, you will have to learn on your own. PF survives by sucking this devotion out of you, it will be a fight there too.

You can do it! Use those with worse bodies as motivation. Oh... Don't worry about the lunk alarm, it has its own set of rules that I'm sure you'll learn quick.

Reminder that this is what you get a Planet Shitness.

I actually am banned from at least one location (not sure if they do chainwide or not but dont care) and had cops called for the grevious sin of sweating too much. Mind you, I didn't handle it the best but still, beware

Good lad. Weights only have to be heavy *enough* and for a new lifter there is plenty to be gained there. Plus, "I want to outgrow this entire franchise" is a fanatic goal and feels great to accomplish.

how much of this is truth and how much of it is hyperbole/memery? have you ever actually seen this happen in real life outside of cherry picked youtube videos?

Sounds like maybe the cops were called because of how you "handled" a complaint, not because you were sweating.

>got a gym membership today
>and plan on starting

Fucking NYRs, when will they learn

Tbh it depends on the location

If you said the employees are nice, then it's likely to be one of the good ones.

Shitty employees = shitty gym
Good employees = good gym

Let's be realistic here. Have you actually been to a Planet Fitness? Go there once and you'll see a lot of fundamental shit missing. The fact that they don't have any barbells is a good indicator of how restrictive they are to not include something that basic. If a gym is missing standard equipment what the fuck does that tell you?

It'll be fine your first year of lifting, especially if the location has a barbell. Leg press is generally inferior to squatting but you have to work with what you have. Dummbell upper body work is great, the only problem is dbs give you fewer options for weight amounts than bbs and setting up once you have to use heavier ones. Don't get discouraged by some Anons telling you it's not a real gym or you can't do shit without a barbell, etc. Some world class body builders only use machines (and gear lol) and strongmen that outlift Veeky Forums have been known to use machines to supplement their barbell work as well.

has some good suggestions listen to her

You want to move to another gym eventually but PF is just a single step closer to your goal. I suggest you try to put away $150 a month if you can afford it so once your PF membership is up you'll have enough saved to join the home gym master race

Employee guy here. This in a nutshell.

I work overnight. We have a core group that comes in 3am or so and works out hardcore, I'm good about letting them. Policy dictates we have to speak to any "lunk" who is complained about but we are given leeway otherwise.

Some are religious about it, others like me see it as a gym and control it accordingly.

Gym sucks but Im poor as shit so it's what I got. Even the women there are really sub-par imo. I would like a place where I can lift shirtless or I don't see how it ever competes with a home gym.
Idk. Maybe I'm just really throwback with my gym style but I feel like flexing in between sets and looking at myself when I do my sets is just like 60% of it.

I agree. It's a girls gym. Obviously there's more guys than girls but it's a female oriented "safe-space" left wing shit show. Shirts stay on, no grunting, no heavy weights, don't look at girls or talk to them or else they get uncomfortable. It's just not a man's space. If your a liberal you'll fit in perfectly there. All the kids check their twitter accounts in between the sets (I shit you not.) I'd like a place with more of an intimidating vibe during the primetimes and maybe a chill time in the odd hours. I need a throwback gym where you can go shirtless and flex in front of women and shit otherwise it's just not a gym in my opinion.

>They'll tempt you with cookies and pizza
I heard those are free, is that true?

>CAPTCHA is food
lel

> no super setting

well they got one thing right

Planet fitness has a very transparent and quite frankly genius business model:
>1. Get tons of memberships by offering low rates and luring in people who ordinarily wouldn't go to a gym.
Of course, having so many members would imply you need lots of space, equipment and staff, they get around that by:
>2. Filtering the members for people who would actually would spend a decent amount of time at the gym via lunk alarm, shit equipment and general celebration of dyelsness; introduce 20 minute workouts and encourage people to take it as "easy" as possible.
The end result is:
>virtually no people that come there for 5-6 hours a week like they would in most gyms,
>lots of people who only spend about 1-3 hours a week there,
>and - this is their cash-cow - a significant portion of people who don't come after the first month but still pay their 10$ a month indefinitely for the illusion that they will go any day now: "hey it's only 10$, even if I go there only twice this week it will pay off."
If the majority of their members showed up regularly the whole thing would come crashing down, but they know the self-delusion and laziness of the average person will prevent that from ever happening.

Nigga u got me fukd up lol

This

/thread

>dead lifts

kek, that last guy took it too far though

The one I go to has very little good equipment (cables/dumbbells that go up to like 50/benches).
There are three smith machines. There are no barbells or racks or cages. It's all machines and cardio equipment.

Pizza day is real. Bagel day is real. There are tootsie rolls at the desk. Lots of people buying muscle milk and powerade.

Yesterday I saw a guy walking backwards on the treadmill for the twenty minutes that I was there to see it.

It's a good beginner gym but that's it.

Also I've never heard the lunk alarm go off, but it is indeed there. Staff are very friendly though.

Same here. The one that I go to just opened up, so I see a lot of NYRs (same way, but had a home gym). The clerk that was working there was super nice when I asked about the equipment and asked what a "lunk alarm" is, which I triggered that day.

So, I walked in at like 5 am to do some basic weights and some ellipticals and I saw a chick walking at the slowest speed next to someone who was using the elliptical in the slowest, easiest way.

Can also confirm for bagel and pizza day with the giant fucking bowl of tootsie rolls at the desk.

Also, what's up with the massage/hydrotherapy chairs?

drinking from a gallon is silly,

just get an 18 oz bottle and fill it up 8 times a day.

Good plan.
The main limit of PF is the weight you can put on your legs. If they let you tie a DB around your waist, weighted chins and dips can take you far in terms of upper body. Most people realistically won't DB ohp 70lbsx2 in one year and its a great workout. Pec flies and lat raises are also easily doable with under 70lb DBs.

It's only stuff like bulgarian split squat where where there is a ceiling you approach quickly. A 2x70lb split squat (140lbs) is a lot but you can make it to 5x8 in a year. Only thing PF has that can provide more weight is a smith machine but since it does so much work for you you'd need to do lunges with almost all the plates once you peak on split squats.

My PF has a leg press, bench, barbells and dumbbells and it's mad cheap and I can bring my gf if she wants to go for free

It's happened to me personally

>be me
>years ago
>don't lift but work keeps me Veeky Forums
>get invited to workout with female friend
>surewhynot.jpg
>arrive at PF
>do cardio for first hour
>realize I need to do more cardio
>go to lift
>almost all machines
>lifting
>doing some kind of horizontal leg press
>weight maxed
>not slamming
>not grunting (deliberate inhale/ exhale tho)
>get stopped by staff (I'm never gonna call those fat fucks 'trainers')
>get told that I'm intimidating the other clients and to either use less weight or leave
>bitch was pretty rude even though I was channeling enough southern politeness to make grandma proud
>there were three other people there, all of them in either the cardio or circuit sections
>staff was the fattest bitch there, and probably the one who was intimidated
>mfw
>mfw I have no face

Most of it is truth