Pulls ups

Pulls ups.

Underrated or Overrated?

They seem to favor small people. I Could do more in the 4th grade than I can now. 'Strongman' guys cant do them and the only people that can do more than 20 are DYEL light weights.

Whats the deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Py8g4Rmu8Tc
youtube.com/watch?v=37PllS-NQzc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>seem to favor small people
>tfw upper body struggling to pull up lower body

thanks rip

Why would you do 20 of any exercise if you want strength? You add weight to keep your limit at a sensible amount of reps. Pull ups are one of the best exercises. Not overrated or underrated, as most people know this.

youtube.com/watch?v=Py8g4Rmu8Tc

They are a nessisary movement pattern for fitness. If you can't do pull-ups do Lat Pulldown or Pull-ups with bands.

>thanks rip

According to Rip, only skinny guys should see significant weight gain. Fat guys might actually lose weight ("if I can get them to stop drinking sodas" -Rip).

For the skinny guy, you should do as many chin-ups as possible every OHP workout. Here's the magic:

If your number of reps stays the same while you gain weight... you've gotten stronger.

what is the best way to add weight to pull ups at a gym?

you just do the bw stuff when you are away from teh weights.

Obviously it's easier fro lighter people to add weights, but big or small you should should be doing weighted pull ups.

When do you start doing them weighted?

when you can do more than 3 x 10

I'm 165lbs and do pull ups for 3x5 with 75lbs, it's great for lats

Not really Veeky Forums's definition of "lifting" but don't let that deter you from doing them though as they're an extremely good exercise.

wasnt it arnold himself who said once that they used to do a ton of pullups and chinups cus if youre a big guy you ought to have the strenght of big guy?

Love them. Total back and arm exercise. Do them with proper form and they will make sure your physique is balanced. Supplement with a heavier back exercise like rows.

Hold a dumbbell between ur feet

Thoughts on doing wide grip (weighted) pullups as an alternative to rows for upper back and bicep?

It's a similar movement, and I fucking hate rows.

>They seem to favor small people.
youtube.com/watch?v=37PllS-NQzc

Pull-ups are literally the best back exercise. They are also one of my favorite exercises. They are necessary for adding width to your back. I feel they stimulate growth way better than machine pull downs.

In high school, I could hardly do 2 pull ups. Now after a few years of training I have done 18 at 220lb bodyweight. It is easier for lighter people, but even when you're heavier it just takes practice.

I think almost any real "strongman" could do at least 1 pull-up.

not to mention they are god tier for forearms

can knock out sets of 15chin ups. but can barely get 4 pull ups

Rows are for lower back as well though. Pull ups don't do lower back.

Pull ups are a pretty good indicator of overall strength relative to size. They do favor smaller people, there is a kid in my company who is an absolute pussy, always falls out of hikes about 105 lbs I think, but he can bang out 20+ pull-ups. I'm 200 lbs and it took me a while to be able to do over 20, literally had to work on pull-ups every day. I'm at about 24 max right now.

if you want to consider yourself in good shape you should be able to do at least 10 dead hang pull-ups.

Wide grip is a meme. Use a normal grip.

Buy a belt theyre on $15 on amazon you poor fuck

20 in a row?

Or are you talking 20 spread across three sets?

>They seem to favor small people. I Could do more in the 4th grade than I can now.

You just packed on mass faster than you put on strength. Pull ups are amazing for your back as other Anons stated

Cant progress on pullups.

4x8 +50 lbs straight bar pull ups today
Fuck yes

Good for cutting and in between sessions if you think it doesnt fuck with recoveries.
>As a part of a high intensity session not really the greatest.
>If your trying to cut then do them frequently.

They are literally just maxing them out for the lulz and don't really do them.

I powerlift and am currently in the 120kg class, I CAN do some pull ups, but I don't do them in my programming.

i could do more pullups before lifting than completing SL for the 12weeks. thanks faggots

Weighted pullups

I've bought a chain and use that

20 in a row famalam. That's perfect for the marine corps PFT (unless you're a woman then it's 8....equality amirite?)

>the only people that can do more than 20 are DYEL light weights.

ask me how do i know that you're a weak fatass :)

not him
can do zero pull ups
want to

can confirm, pull ups are a workout anyone can do if they're not a fat sack of shit.

you only gain so much muscle mass.

Pull ups are trash tier.
I tried to do one yesterday and i got an insanely painful spasm under my left ass cheek which is strange since i used my arms to do it

Chin ups will make your arms grow like no other exercise. Add weight when you can consistently do 3x10-15

>Pull ups are trash tier.
.t, fatty

chin ups != pull ups
brainlet

not a big fan of pull ups but i love chin ups

nothing else hits my biceps like chins

Ask one of the small light girls to hang onto you.

>all these bitches who can't do 20 dead hang pullups/chinups/whateveryouwanttofuckingcallthem

20 pullups and an easy four miler
or
less than 20 pullups and a six mile death run
the good old days

Depends on what you think is important

A guy doing 12 pullups at a bodyweight of 95kg makes him much stronger than his friend whos doing 16 pullups at 60kg bw

He's gonna have the biggest back, and have the strongest back muscles.

Pull ups and chins are probably my favourite exercise. I do neutral grip chins and rows so I hit my back and bis. Fuck doing curls man 5 sets of chins is good enough.

Cant figure out how to put on belt