Why do folks recommend hitting a bodypart at least 2x a week?

I recently switched to a 5 day split that goes like so:
Day 1:Back, traps
Day 2:Chest, biceps, forearms
Day 3:Quads, abs
Day 4:Shoulders, triceps
Day 5:Hamstrings, calves

I have one rest day after chest day and one rest day after shoulder day. I've been able to get to complete failure with every workout safely, I've gotten better pumps and my physique is improving faster. Granted my workouts take a lot longer but by the end the body parts I worked are completely dead, whereas normally I don't feel they got worked very well even if I can't pt of many reps just cause of ho tired my whole body is

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.be/books?hl=nl&lr=&id=bfuXCgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR1&dq=body parts training frequency&ots=2dum2wA_UF&sig=fVagKmB78eRTxM41VJAQiuTX9qY#v=onepage&q=body parts training frequency&f=false
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1) Because a pump isn't an indication of muscle fatigue. You can get a pump curling 15 lb dumbbells.

2) Because muscles take 24-36 hours to recover from fatigue. Recovery is when your muscles repair the damage you did to them by lifting (i.e., that's when they grow). It's recommended to work each muscle group twice a week minimum because you CAN. Full body routines let you work everything 3 times a week. You will maximize growth this way, literally two to three times as fast as what you're doing now.

This is all in the sticky, so maybe read that before making a thread.

Has been proven by a couple of studies
books.google.be/books?hl=nl&lr=&id=bfuXCgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR1&dq=body parts training frequency&ots=2dum2wA_UF&sig=fVagKmB78eRTxM41VJAQiuTX9qY#v=onepage&q=body parts training frequency&f=false

/thread

because you generally only need 1 day of rest until you're recovered. hitting it more often = faster strength gain, better motor and pattern efficiency, better hypertrophy, etc.

not to mention that some muscles require far more work due to which fibre types inhibit them, like forearms for example which respond great to volume

a couple of studies never "prove" anything, especially not when it comes to hard-to-study shit like program design. non-scientists shouldn't read studies. they're not the target audience and are incapable of interpreting them.

Assuming you're doing some form of deadlift for hams that brosplit is still hitting each group twice in it's cycle.

>and are incapable of interpreting them.
But that's wrong.

I am doing deads. My routine looks like this:

Day 1:Back, traps
Pull ups- 5xfa
Pendlay Rows- 2x5 1xfa
Back Hyper extensions- 3xfa
Bent over rows- 3x10-12
T-bar rows- 3x10
Barbell Shrugs- 3x10-12
Dumbbell Shrugs 3x10-12
Chin ups- 3xfa

Day 2:Chest, biceps, forearms
Bench- 2x5 1xfa
EZ Barbell curl-3x10
Palm down EZ barbell curl- 3x10
Hammer curls- 3x10 (per arm)
Wrist curls- 3x10 (per arm)
Palm down wrist curl- 3x10 (per arm)
Preacher curls- 3x10
Chest flies- 3x10 (neutral, incline, decline)
Bent arm dumbbell pullovers- 3x10

Rest/cardio

Day 3:Quads, abs
Squats- 2x5 1xfa
Front squat 1x5
Leg extensions- 3x10
Dumbbell Lunges- 3x10
Russian twists- 3×10
Knee raises- 3xfa
Crunches- 3xfa
Barbell ab rollouts- 3xfa
Barbell side bends- 3x10

Day 4:Shoulders, triceps
OHP- 2x5 1xfa
Lateral raises- 3x10
Floor plate raise- 3x10
Reverse flies- 3x10
Car drivers- 3x?
Closed pushups- 3xfa
Incline tricep extension- 3x10
EZ bar skullcrushers- 3x10

Rest/cardio

Day 5:Hamstrings, calves
Deadlift- 2x5, 1xfa
Natural glute ham raise- 3x10
Hamstring curls- 3x10
Dumbbell calf raises- 3x10
Dumbbell seated calf raises- 3x10
Glute thrusts- 3x10
Glute kickbacks- 3x10

The reason I have so many row variants is because I have a hard time feeling like I hit my lats properly. I can answer any questions about why I chose which exercises I chose and am open to advice on this routine.

unless you're an advanced lifter (which I assume you're not) your muscles will be able to recover within ~1-2 days so you can hit them again with a heavier load right afterwards to keep the adaptiation process going

splits are usually designed for advanced lifters because their strength gains grind to a halt at a certain point and they cannot recover in time because of the heavy loads they lift, so they do it on a week by week basis

>24-36 hours to recover from fatigue

This really depends on your training volume and intensity. For a proper training in can take up to 4 days.

When I did 4x8 for the compounds plus 4x8 isolation for chest, tri, bi, abs and calves, 72hrs sometimes wasn't enough.

So basically, what I'm hearing is that it probably just isn't optimal, but it will still work as long as I am consistent and stick with it?

Anything routine will work, if you're consistent. Consistency is everything. After that, it's only a question of efficiency.

In that case I'll probably stick wit what I'm doing, i find it more enjoyable and easier to stick with.

of course it'll work
but you're purposefully gimping yourself by not making progress as fast as you could be

>It's recommended to work each muscle group twice a week minimum because you CAN. Full body routines let you work everything 3 times a week. You will maximize growth this way, literally two to three times as fast as what you're doing now.

Explain 5/3/1

Simple.

5/3/1 is dogshit.

you could be making better gains on 2x a week but over a long period of time (and you should be planning on lifting for life) optimal advantages tend to even out

if you're lifting for hypertrophy there's some evidence that big overload sessions where you fuck your shit up with volume are necessary to spur new growth in advanced lifters - this may explain why a lot of really advanced lifters tend towards that 1x a week, loads of volume per session style of lifting

5/3/1 sucks unless you're an 80 year old man or are playing a sport that takes up most of your energy
beat me to it

Do what keeps you motivated. If your not out here to set records do what works for you regardless if it takes longer to get there or not.

Why not do ULULULx?

Yeah, I'm coming to believe this. I like some of Wendler's training strategies, like supersetting your main exercises with pull-ups, but I'm not big on 5/3/1 itself.

vanilla 5/3/1 as a program is trash. the progression scheme for main lifts however, is a goldmine.

LUxLUxx with 5/3/1 on the main lifts along with high volume sets for opposing lifts (e.g 5/3/1 bench, volume ohp... 5/3/1 dl, volume squat and so on) + accessories is a great routine.

can someone explain this chest + biceps meme?

why the fuck do I always see them together?

gimme a routine that hits every muscle group twice then

>posts a whole fucking book
Nigga, point out which page and what exactly does it say and post the studies.

>he doesn't understand how to press without using his triceps

Guess how I know you've been lifting for less than five years.

Half reps? Seems like a huge waste of time, since going up the other half of the rep isn't time consuming.

Upper lower split does 2x a week and full body hits each group 3x a week

If your not tired after either one of those routines your a pussy who quits lifting early

Bros don't understand compounds hit more than one muscle.