Fear of Gym

Has anyone here managed to overcome crippling anxiety of the gym based on childhood?

I am fat. Very fat. I won't give an exact weight, but I will say that I have had 2 mini stroke events last year, and broke my hand a few months ago because I tried to pick my toenails and the fat of my big and second toe crushed my fingers (I have very weak bones).

The problem I face is childhood anxiety from my years at school.
I used to get bullied in gym class all the time.

Hell until 5 months ago I was scared to even look at pictures of 'a gym'. I assumed a gym was the same thing as gym class, and that it was a place people went to play dodgeball. I only found out about weight rooms and stuff because I clicked on this board haha. I've tried going to the gym a few times though and it just feels uncomfortable. I feel like I would get bullied for picking up weights. I spent money on home kettlebells but I find them uncomfortable to use because picking them up reminds me how bullies would drag me by my collar.

How do I ebat this?

the majority of the replies are going to be along the lines of "harden the fuck up".

which doesn't help me either, because i have similar anxieties for different reasons, but there's really no cure for it other than teaching yourself to not obsess over what other people might think. i can't ever "just not care what people think", but i can try to ignore shit thoughts like that i guess

wew typing this out i feel mentally unhealthy

>stop Being a pussy
>realize more people will have respect for you if you were in the gym trying rather than sitting on your fat ass

Long story short.. Get a grip, people go to the gym to get fit not fat

Start with calisthenics, you can do that on your own, wait a few month until you resemble more human-like, then harden the fuck up and join a gym. Wish you good luck.

Sorry to say it.. But that's the answer, you want help but you won't help your self, you get no where in this world begging for others for them to do it for you, or sugar coating it, thousands of years ago (if not hundreds) you'd be deader than brown breader with that attitude, be a better man and grow a pair.

Nobody cares, fat fucker. You know why you'll never make it? Because you try to seek confidence in a website, and because you're a fucking faggot that got traumatized because of bullying! How gay is that?! fucking bullying!!! you weak fat fucker! You'll be a fat fucker until the day of your death (aka soon).

if you're fat as fuck save your joints by not exercising. diet is 90% of weight loss, just cut calories

>I only found out about weight rooms and stuff because I clicked on this board haha
Have you guys ever stared at the night sky, lost yourselves into the stars, wondered how, how it is possible that out there, there's someone who doesn't fucking know how a gym looks inside

If you really can't find the courage then you should diet first to get to a weight were you feel less self concious, since diet is more important for weight loss anyway. But really unless you are bicep curling in the squat rack everyone in the gym will be too busy thinking about themselves to care about how you look

project those insecurites harder

24/7 gym late at night, guaranteed no one will be there
Early morning also works probably. Only elderly people doing the slow walk on the threadmill

only 12 hour gym nearby

What scares you more - a memory of a 9 year old making fun of you or the thought of dying young and having your family pull a lat trying to carry your disgusting corpse down to the hearse

Piggy backing on this thread to ask how do I not look like a fucking idiot in my first couple months? I just don't want somebody to come up and start critiquing me on form.

1) Maybe just thank the guy who spotted a bad form - he might just saved you from an injury... (in case he knows what he is talking about)

OR

2) Thank him, check your form and in case he knows nothing, don't give a fuck...

Everyone starts somewhere. If you're too scared of a gym, just buy a set of dumbbells and workout on your garage. You should be able to get a pair of adjustable dumbbells for 60 dollars or so that go up to 45lbs. Use them for a few months until you feel confident working out, then start working out late at night.

Honestly though, there isn't anyone at the gym the genuinely cares about you. The only people who would smirk behind your back are the insecure fags who are just starting out. They can safely be ignored. As for random fags giving you advice, they do that to everyone, it's obnoxious for the most part. If you want to avoid it, just put some headphones in your ears, you don't even have to have then plugged in.

similar for me, I have severe social anxiety. What helped me was going with my buddy and generally just ignoring everyone else in there and pretending they weren't even there. This is a lot harder if you're going on mondays/during busy times and the gym is packed, but like everyone else is saying, people go there to get fit. If anything, people will respect that you're trying.

How was your dodgeball squats today guys? I gotta say this new 5x5 ball dodges rep scheme is great for my biceps

Try going to a 24/7 gym and go at time where there are very few people.

Typically 5am in the morning or 11 pm at night.

Basically no one is around.

>crushed my hand in between my toes
Holy fuck OP. Please get your life together

With that much weight, a push up for him is like benching 1.5 pl8

>5am.
There's always people at 5am around here. Heaps of people workout before work.

I used to have fear of the gym. When we did weightlifting in gym class the teacher used to call me out and pick on me for being so skinny and weak. I had anxiety Everytime I came near a gym.

Now I am more comfortable. There is not magic bullet, you just have to go. It helps to have a routine and a plan, but even then you have to go do it.

You WILL feel stupid and like everyone is looking at you.

You WILL fuck something up and feel even more retarded.

But if you keep going you'll realize that nobody really cares. Most people have headphones in anyways. If you are still too nervous, go in the early morning for a few times first. People in the morning are all business and there is no social bro time. That way you can learn where everything is and such.

All in all, just go to the gym.

Really? My gym must be different. They always seem to arrive at around 6am. I'm usually done and about to get out of there then.

I guess my real question is how do I teach myself good form before I go? Or do I just have to look like an idiot at first?

this guy knows exactly wtf he is talking about.
you just have to take that first step OP and make it.

4am master race here. Just about to goto bed.

This never happens lmao. Everyone is worried about their own workout, no one gives a fuck what others are doing as long as it isn't dangerous.

1. In terms of weight loss: Diet > Exercise
2. If you really have a "PTSD" about going to a gym, start with bodyweight exercises and invest in homegym
3. people don't give a shit in what you do in the gym, having headphones on helps tune people out
4. I respect fatties that work out for their initiative to lead better lives

Build a comfy home gym then and if you desire go to a gym when more confident. Stop overthinking it. Just buy oly barbell+100kg of pl8s to start with. Research exercises you do with minimal equipment and stick with it.

You'll be fine. Good form is a constant challenge. You're going to be analyzing and adjusting your form for as long as you're lifting.

it's inspiring to see 300+ pound landwhales at the gym trying to better themselves. the majority of the people won't judge you. the majority of people will be rooting for you.

> 2 mini stroke events
>broke my hand a few months ago because [...] the fat of my big and second toe crushed my fingers
>(I have very weak bones)
> I was scared to even look at pictures of 'a gym'.
> I only found out about weight rooms and stuff because I clicked on this board haha.
> I spent money on home kettlebells but [...] picking them up reminds me how bullies would drag me by my collar.
>How do I ebat this?

Top fucking kek OP, can't believe people are taking this seriously. I lol'd.

Not if you're faggot Milo Yinapolis

I had this too
Just go to a planet fitness dude all of the people their are hamplanets eating pizza
Do some cardio and mild weight training until your confident enough for a real gyn

The fucking internet. Google. Bench press form, deadlift form etc etc