Any downsides to calisthenics?

What are the cons of training using body weight only? Like the Bar Brothers do, is there any downside to not using weights at all and relying solely on body weight?

>any downside

Other than looking like a DYEL twink, no.

Your, traps, lats and delts will look shitty in 99% of the cases.

All they do is pull ups+variatons, how can there lats be shit?

>bullshit
If you do a well rounded excersize you could look as good as any hobbbyist freeweight lifter. Just get some equipment, the pullupnbar I got was a godsend.

Good luck Training 10 years longer nigger

I've done BWF for years. Honestly, making strength gains takes forever, especially chest and biceps. You need to incorporate dumbbells at the very least to make good use of your time.

+Cheap
-Slow progress
No reason why you can't lift weights and do calisthenics at the same time.

Better to have balance. Calisthenics are good for some muscle groups but miss others. You will have a hard time developing chest and legs for example.
Another issue is your starting point and max strenghth is defined by your body weight.

Calisthenics is pretty fucking sweet
I don't have the money or body image to want to train at the gym and paying money for equipment other than 2 bars and a fitness mat is a waste of money.

Not that you even need to pay for the bars, there's public ones everywhere.

Running hills and doing BW squats gives you pretty swole legs.

this is a meme

I'd agree on traps.
But boy, oh boy, how wrong you are on the lats part.
Delts are hit or miss.

Calisthenics is GOAT imo. Although you really should add in weighted dips, chins and squats and deads if you want a well rounded physique. Being able to do planche pushups and front levers are some pretty big feats of strength too.

Have you actually done hill work? Done abit and I would only pick it if squats were unavailable.
Definitely a more mentally challenging exercise.

Ran XC 4 years in HS.
Coach always insisted on the hills. I wanted to kill myself after every run and it NEVER got easier.
Had some pretty banging legs tho.

Yea I run up a small volcano where my grandparents live every Christmas break. Every other day or so. It's only a 10 min climb because I'm fairly fit but it feels like ass. Every other fool doing the same is also having a shit time too. Nice achievement but I prefer squats.

i'm realizing now after 3 years some of the donwsides of bw training:
>progressions are really hard compared to weights
>it gets boring if you approach it with sets and reps
>not optimal (doesn't mean impossible) for some body parts, mostly lower back, legs, spine muscle, traps, mid-shoulders.
>if you want to get really advanced you need equipment.
I'm currently making some concrete barbells(50-80-100kg) to start squatting and deadlifting bcause after a day carrying bags of cement i found out my lower back is really weak.

What equipment?
I have rings and a pull up bar, surely that's enough?

what do you mean had? why dont you have them now?

I am interested in building a donkey ass and banging legs

>lats

LMAO BRUH U KNOW WHT A PULUP DO BRO?