Hi /k/

Hi /k/

Without making this a blog post, basically I'm moving to another state, Wisconsin, and they have much more favorable gun laws for hunting. I'm new to actually handling guns (never shot one before) but I want to get a hunting rifle because I'd like to go hunting when I'm up there, any recommendations?

Basically I want to avoid looking like a fucktard when using the gun and don't want to buy something that people would scoff at

Other urls found in this thread:

tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you don't buy one of these you're a poor fag.

You'll get made fun of, but they're just jelly poorfags who can't afford it.

Oh wait fuck I posted this in the wrong board
srry guys
t. fattass

Smaller stuff within 300 yards a .308
Larger game or hunting goats on mountains and longer shots get a 300 win mag.

>but I want to get a hunting rifle because I'd like to go hunting when I'm up there, any recommendations?

>not hunting with your bare hands

There's a guy on /k/ that hunts with a club and barbwire. People also still spear pigs.

/k/
You goofed. Also
>Wanting to kill helpless animals for fun
Recreational hunters should be locked up

I don't know a single hunter that hunts shit like deer just for fun. They all either eat the meat or donate it to some kind of mission. Maybe shit like rhinos and cheetas in africa. Maybe bear in the usa, but that's about all that I've ever heard of.
Well, that and killing pest animals on farms and shit.

Not familiar with most game in Wisconsin, but I would assume you are hunting deer. Most bolt action rifles using. 308 and above will do the trick. Mossberg and Remington generally make good rifles.

So you can't own a gun unless you're an obnoxious zealot about it? kek

If you're going nigger tier prices savage makes the best quality guns you can get for the lower price ranges. Personally I like wood stocks on my rifles so I sold mine, but they're cheap and well made.

>hows the novels coming /lit?

I go to a Lucille Roberts now because I was traumatized by the lack of hygiene at planet fitness and I have very sensitive skin and allergies

It's more expensive but it's much cleaner. I live in an asian neighborhood so it's mostly middle and upper class asian women with some white qt's

How did I manage to post on the wrong thread

How poor are you?
Very: Savage Axis
Sort of: Ruger American
I have some money: Weatherby Vanguard S2
Nigger rich: Winchester Model 70
Rich: Weatherby Mark V

A savage .308 with a 3-9 scope. As basic bitch but functional as you can really be without being a total pleb.

But learn to bow hunt. It is better and I started with great lats and shoulders from training now from child.

Also venison is the leanest red meat and packed with protons. 10/10 meat.

>model 70
>nigger rich
What? My M70 featherweight in 7mm08 was only like $550 when I got it.

>he doesn't exclusively buy pre 64 Winchesters
You didn't buy a Winchester, son.

But we don't have massive 400 lb wild boar that can kill you anymore :(

Anyone down to hunt a bear with plate armor and short spears?

>not knowing they switched back to pre-64 design actions a while back
It has killed probably 50 deer, two bear, and at least a hundred god damned hogs. All while being light and portable with my longest shot on a mule buck at 550yds.

What size grain did you use on the black bears?

Hornady 139s I believe. I'm using SSTs now and they shoot great for factory loads.

Just got curious becomes I've read people saying .308 minimum for black bears like it's a meme

tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf

They still hit 400 in Texas man. Feral boars are the only reason I carry my pistol when I go camping and hiking. They will fuck your shit up.

It's not that you can't kill them with smaller rounds, it's just less likely to wound one and have it run 6 miles before it dies or cripple it if you use a larger round.

It is a meme. My dad used to kill them just fine with the same .243 his grandfather killed them with.

Neither of my bear went more than 50yds post impact, both double lung shots.

Shot placement is king. I'd feel comfortable killing anything in the Americas with a 7mm08.

MUH COLD DEAD HANDZ

>I'd feel comfortable killing anything in the Americas with a 7mm08.
Even grizzlies and moose? That just seems unreasonable.

We talking blacks or grizzlies?

Was just about to say that. Hell, even some of the larger elk.

Fuck. That elk looks so smug I would have shot him too

Also, Ruger American if you're poor, remington 700 if you're not. Browning makes nice rifles, too. Kimber rifles a nice.

Pic related is my baby

A non vital shot with a bigger round is still a non vital shot. A .22lr through the heart will kill a deer faster than a .300winmag through its hind quarters. I have seen the results of both.

On bear you want something that would beat hard bone if required for a front skull shot. Speed trumps weight at penetration. 7mm08 is just a necked down .308 that is faster and with a better BC. Anything .308/30-06 will kill reliably, so will 7mm08 or pretty much any fast .30cal round.

The hunting world is a mess of fudd memes and misinfo.

These are great for hunting smaller prey like birds and rats.

Couldn't recommend more. Cheap ammo too.

Yes even Griz and moose. It's a fast round that delivers a nice wound cavity with plenty of penetration.

Animal defense =/= hunting. I wouldn't take any bolt action for large game defense. I'd take my PTR91 or something to have the ability to get more rounds on target faster.

>being so weak that you have to use weapon to fight

anyway m8, you've came to right place, just start working out

Nigga 7mm08 isn't even that powerful. You'll want more for thick hide animals like brown bear but what do I know I'm just a pistol guy

> not getting a gloque

>not getting a Scout Squad

Bad b8.

Terribly impractical for hunting

>thick hide
Makes little actual difference. 7mm08 is plenty "powerful". It will most certainly penetrate even a brown skull, especially shooting solids rather than HP ammo.

"Stopping power" is the biggest gun meme of he century. The major advances in terms of killing potential have been in actual bullet design, not size, and in accuracy.

A $30 redfield 3-9 povertyscope would have been ludicrously expensive and almost space age tech in 1910.

Accuracy used to mean you could hit meter of man. Accuracy now means I can easily place several rounds within an inch size circle at several hundred yards.

A lot of old fuddlore stems back from idiots just shooting at animals rather than their vitals.

Oh jesus

You're on Mount stupid

My dad shot a pig with a 12g slug and the hide caught it on the other side

My buddy dumped damn near a full mag into a pig (18 hits in the torso)

Think they were fast kills? First one didn't stop until I shot it behind the ear with a .357 the second one didn't stop until his buddy shot it with grandpaps 30-30.

Of course 7mm08 would penetrate brown skull, that's easy. Think it would cause enough permanent cavity to quickly kill it? I doubt it, especially if you're making a shot at range.

Bullet design has made a huge impact but at the end of the day you need caliber to back up marksmanship. 7mm08 is dumb to shoot at brown bear with, and you'll wish you had a 7mm RSAUM instead.

>18 hits
To clarify that was with 5.56 AR 15 and he's a 3gun competitor

Swapped polymer for wood and muzzle brake for flash hider. So sexy

Literally the worst kind of person
>flash hider
>willingly reducing performance
What a shame

Are you gay or something?

>hide caught it
Nope.jpeg
It likely slowed down through several large bones. The hide certainly didn't "catch" it. I hunted hogs in TX for a decade pretty much every weekend. I've gutted several hundred pounders. The hide isn't going to "catch" anything except more ticks.

>18 hits to the "torso"
My cousins used to routinely use a bolt .223 on hogs when they were small and young. Your buddy is just a piss poor shot. Protip: shoot hogs in the head, if you can't do that, shoot right at the shoulder. Pretty much everything shoulder back is just digestive guts. I always drill hogs through the skull. I've even killed several with .22lr just to get rid of them and it has worked.

>permanent cavity
It's a matter of blood loss, as pretty much any ballistic death is. A hole through the heart/lungs is a hole through the heart/lungs. I've seen deer/hog/bear haul ass 200yds after a double lung 30-06, and I've seen them bite dirt within 10' from a .243 double lung. Death is not some mythical thing.

The largest of my bear was 325 live weight and keeled after about 20 yards before rolling another 20. The largest pig I didn't headshot was about that and went less than 100yds.

And that was with a bow.

Plenty of guys down browns with a bow, and moose, etc.

Accuracy is king, penetration is queen, everything else is a bit moot so long as you aren't 10' away from whatever you're killing.

If I'm hunting bear, I'm more than 10' away, and they have no idea I'm even there.

Hunting isn't remotely the same as animal defense.

I mean I've only killed more hogs than a lifetime of bacon, and enough deer that I have a freezer entirely devoted to yearly venison.

Been shooting both species since I was 6 with a rifle and 12 with a bow, and my first bear when I was 18.

But yeah, a couple chucklefucks shooting the odd pig are certainly a better source of info.

Stupid tripfag.

Throw the barbell like a spear...
No guns needed

T-there's nothing wrong with Ruger.

A pretty shitty one

>mfw Veeky Forums is literally /k/
>/kek/

>I'm afraid people won't like my gun
How insecure can you be?

..... Most hunters nowadays do hunt for fun. I see nothing wrong with this but most of the people who hunt do it for fun. Almost no one does it for survival, and your example of people giving the meat away still means that the people who shot the animal did so for fun/tradition.
Don't get me wrong, Im fine with hunting, I've killed hundreds of animals, it just bothers me when people blatantly lie about their motives

Ruger American, Remington 783, and the Savage Axis II are all good beginner's hunting rifles that won't break the bank. Make sure to get an okay scope too. I recommend getting the rifle chambered in .270, the ballistics are great and the bullet is hefty enough to drop anything from a deer to a moose.

Take the state's hunter safety course and look up organisations that offer mentored hunts for new hunters. You don't want to go alone and try tracking or butchering an animal without someone experienced.

Always keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan to shoot immediately, never point even an unloaded gun at something you don't intend to destroy, always verify the firearms is unloaded before transporting, cleaning, or handing it off, and have fun brother.

I think it's a question of which motive comes first. I think every hunter enjoys hunting otherwise they wouldn't do it, that enjoyment isn't necessarily fun though. That said the initial motive for hunting could easily be to get lots of cheaper/healthier/more humane meat than from a store, the hunter just enjoys the hunt and the tradition around it at the same time.