I have been doing Intermittent Fasting

I have been doing Intermittent Fasting.

I am obese and am working at getting better. I have been eating one meal every 24 hours with nothing but water and one cup of black coffee between meals. One day a week I will simply skip a meal to have a 48 hour fast.

Over the last month I have lost 10 pounds. I am taking Metamucil w/ meals to increase my fiber, Men's-1-A-Day to make sure I maintain my micros, and been focusing on lean meats and whole grains.

The sticky states that not eating is bad for you, but all the research I have done says the opposite. It's hard to find a consensus.

Some of the best advice I have gotten in my life has been from this site since people are brutally honest, and generally helpful. So I am asking for any help and advice to help me live longer. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

jackkruse.com/why-is-oprah-still-obese-leptin-part-3/
tdeecalculator.net/
cnn.com/2014/12/05/health/metabolism-myths/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I recommend you consult with a physician about this

I did soemthing like this a few years ago to lose weight

I started having chest pains around my heart and then learned this not at all uncommon...

if you lose muscle you can weaken your heart which is of course muscle...

be cautious ..

what is starvation mode for 500$

read Jack Kruse

he lost a bunch of weight

his ideas are great and he's very active online

jackkruse.com/why-is-oprah-still-obese-leptin-part-3/

You could fast and hate life every day, or you could just eat at a calorie deficit lower than your tdee and still get results

What was the category? Myths/scientific illiteracy?

black magic

IF was made for really fat people that are on the verge of death. Figure out a proper diet

I recommend you ditch the whole grains / all grains in general, no bread or pasta, any type of refined "white carbs" in general ie flower, sugar, corn starch ect, you will lose weight faster.

Instead eat complex carbs like broccoli and oats ect.

And eat healthy fats like avocados, cheese and coconut oil.

With proper dietary fat intake you'll lose weight faster.

Yeah i'd just eat breakfast lunch and dinner, its about how much you eat not when. just find out your tdee and eat as much below it as you feel you can and you'll lose the weight regardless.

i guess you know about calories if you´ve read the sticky

tdeecalculator.net/

IF is fucking great, and eating one meal a day can be a good way to change up your eating habbit every now and then. But I think 16/8 window is probably better and having two meals a day. Idk how many kcals your one meal is, but I doubt it's enough kcals.

IF is good but you should still eat no less than 500 calories under your TDEE

My experience with IF was that it led to larger binges when I did falter. I found that it was easier to hit my macros and stay at my caloric goals if I ate 5 smaller meals a day, and just used MFP to track it. I tended to eat around 500 calories throughout the day, and then had a decent sized dinner that involved about a pound of broccoli to fill me up. My proteins varied, but were always lean. Tilapia, chicken breast, skirt steaks. I ommited carbs almost completley. This left me satiated all day. My snacks were high protein things like boiled eggs and sardines. I was eating at 1400 Kcal.

Different things work for diffeent people, but in general you want to eat in a manner that preserves muscle mass. Muscle increases your BMR and must be preserved and increased.

Is your coffee 4 cream 4 sugar? If so kys

I know I have a problem with over eating but I don't think IF is the best choice, for me or you. Like everyone says, eat at a deficit. I'm pants on head retarded when it comes to food though so I eat a lot less than I'm use too. I only recorded what I eaten the last 2 days but I haven't met any of the nutritional goes besides protein and bad fats:/

I'm neet so my food comes from whatever the family eats

Kitchen skills are as important as lifting form. Start making your own food. Use MFP and fitness forums to figure out the right recipes to hit your goals.

lots of shit replies so far

basically, fasting is very good for you. it's also easier to stick to a calorie deficit if you fast (because you're not constantly spiking your insulin).

but as has been said, you still need to make sure you're eating below your TDEE.

This. First of all, good for you OP. Secondly, don't skip meals.

cnn.com/2014/12/05/health/metabolism-myths/

>Myth #2: Skipping a meal slows down your metabolism.

A glass of ice water in the morning will speed up your metabolism as well.

Lifting is a marathon, not a sprint. 10 pounds in a month is great. You keep that up and you'll be down a whole person in a year.

Start incorporating more and more exercise and keep focused. You'll be fine.

I'm old af and can tell you the key to success in the gym (and life) is just boring neverending persistence

Don't switch things around every month. If you're getting results (you are) keep going. You don't want to yoyo back and forth forever

the link says that fasting doesn't slow down metabolism, yet you recommend he doesn't fast

i don't get it

I know user but family been eating unhealthy for decades. Mexican food is just too good, just sucks that everything is made with corn or vegetable oil and salt. One of my cousin had a hard patch and lived with us and got some weight put on. After him and his parents got things moving he left and lost a TON of weight

>Secondly, don't skip meals.

You understand that the article is saying that it's a myth that skipping a meal slows down your metabolism right?

That's the plan user at the end of the year. But only thing I can afford to do is cardio but I haven't been feeling too good to do even that since I still continue to eat wrong. My small goal for me is to lose 30lbs for my birthday in may

What's your current weight and height?

Pls no bully.
5'6 , 230lbs. As you can see I eat below the deficit.

>5'6 , 230lbs.
dang chubs, glad to see you're taking it seriously.

keep eating at a deficit and working out so you maintain muscle mass and don't look like a flab sack even after you lose weight!

I said no bully! But yeah man. Got tired of being this way. Don't know how to work out besides running, stretches, and eating less

>I said no bully!
you get less motivation from no bully.

honesty is good.

Do body weight shit that every four year old child even knows how to do. If you're feeling really saucy get ahold of some dumbbells and bust out some curls and lat raises and shrugs and all that good stuff. There are no wrong answers fat boy.

What about Leangains?

Can't have less then zero user. Depression isnt too kind to neets. Not eating this the only disciple that I can muster up.
I actually downloaded that prison work out pics. I think when I find a good running spot I'll find a way to incorporate it. Still feel like shit though so im trying to sleep earlier but still clock in at 2 am on average

If you're any sort of real fat (prediabetic/diabetic), intermittent fasting like that is one of the most dangerous things to do.

> being told you're a fat ass isn't motivation to not be a fat ass

I don't understand.

I did a Leangains style fast at the beginning of 2016. It was the first official "cut" i did and it worked pretty well. About as well as simple caloric restriction. Berkhan's followers can be cult - like in their devotion to this one particular style of eating, often (though not always) claiming that anything else is a retarded waste of time, but I simply have not found this to be the case.

The most important qualities of a fat loss diet are as follows, in order:
1. Caloric deficit
2. Protein content
3. Vegetable content
4. Glycemic index

If you get even the first two right, you'll see results. I know the Pareto principle has become something of a self-help meme, but it rings true here: focus on the simplest habits that produce the most results, and don't overcomplicate your life with extra unnecessary shit. If the fast/feast model works for you psychologically, stick with it.

As for working out - in the beginning my advice would be a simple pushup - pullup - squat - run routine (pic related), done maybe 3 times a week or alternate days. Log your numbers and seek slow, incremental progress. 1 extra rep or running .1 mile further adds up. Take a "saving money in the bank" mentality with regards to fitness; little savings add up quicker than you think.

Good luck fatbro. You can do it if you arent a pussy

While I can't deny those digits, I have had low self eesteem since I was young user. I know that doesn't mean anything to the average Veeky Forums user but I heard that shit all my life. So I don't get motivation, I just hear noise

>cult - like

You meant to use a hyphen, not a dash. Those spaces shouldn't be there.

>I have had low self eesteem since I was young user
yeah so am I

doesn't fucking matter though, that's why I am actively trying to make myself better.

listen to these guys

IF is a good tool for weight loss. but it's pointless if your body is going into starvation mode because your fasting period is too long.

eating dietary fats is great. especially on IF. fats make you full and do wonders for your satiety. if you have some fat with each meal you will go longer without needing to eat again. they also pack a lot of energy so be careful of that.

i've read a lot and it seems like correlations between saturated fat and cholesterol are a bit more complicated than most nutritionists would have you believe. in fact saturated fat in your diet is healthy.

And I'm genuinely happy that you are because I like the idea of that. Being a better you for you. Change your world. All that good stuff. Putting it into practice is my stepping Stone I haven't reached

>implying the average fitizen isn't a complicated mess of feels and self-loathing.

Learn to embrace the negative shit. Negative feedback is how you know that something needs to change. The biggest lesson i've learned in 40 years on this planet is that a spade is a spade. All of the feel good hugbox shit just makes you complacent. Despise the things that are wrong in your world and change them. You seem to be on the right path. When someone calls you out on something, give them a big "fuck you" by fixing it, and becoming better at it than the person saying it.

>Putting it into practice is my stepping Stone I haven't reached
you don't reach for it, you just do it.
it's literally the first step

user gets it. Just do shit. So what if you suck, or outright fail. Learn from it, and fail better next time. Rinse and repeat until you don't suck.

Ill be honest I'm just sick of failing. And you guys are right but it just sucks you know. Like I know I'm not the only one who fails but it doesn't matter since it's me that accountable for my actions. Kinda why i dont have an identiy or anything.

Uh. If you want to lose weight, you gotta do it properly by counting calories, eating healthy, and exercise. There's no way around it. If you continue to do it the way you're doing it, you'll lose muscle mass and lower your bmr. That means you'll get fat again once you get off your diet like every other fat person doing this. When do they learn?

>I'm just sick of failing
then make sure you do better next time. take advice when it comes to you, don't just listen say yeah that'd work and throw it out the window and do what you were going to do anyway.

I am complacent I'll admit. I never take any challenges because I fail and I feel that failure in me. As I said to the other user

Hahaha. Yea. Nutrition 101 would tell you otherwise. The no carb diet well destroy your body. What people need to do is lay off the simple carbs and go complex carbs. That means brown rice, oats, whole wheat bread etc. Also count calories and exercise.

>don't just listen say yeah that'd work and throw it out the window
More than likely what I'll end up doing. Its just noise. I've heard it before.

>More than likely what I'll end up doing. Its just noise. I've heard it before.
then you should fucking kill yourself because you'll be a piece of shit fat fuck forever

Lol at least that's what I don't hear. Put a smile on my face user

>Over the last month I have lost 10 pounds.
10 pounds being obese and eating 30 meals in a month? holy shit or your meals are huuuge or you are lying

Or the op is very small.