Prescribed anti-depressants - potential weight gain from them?

got prescribed anti-depressants a few weeks ago. i want to start them but have not due a potential side effect of gaining weight.

What to do? I want to take them - but my training comes before my mental health.

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra073096
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>taking a pill for my depression will cause me to gain weight
You don't know much about depression do you? People tend to not each much or eat too much while depressed. When treated, the people who barely ate will eat more because their symptom is reduced. If you are worried that much, count your calories and if you see any weight gain, eat less.

i already count my calories.

you mean i can take them and as long as my calories are where i want them to be i wont gain weight?

OMG user don't you see this blessing in disguise. Start popping those pill and enjoy your mental health plus sweet size and strength gains due to the awesome bulk. If I were you I would go even harder on those barbells baby, crushing PRs every week as well as different hoes.

Won't happen. SSRIs and MAOIs lower test

i'm cutting rn so can't to that mate.

shiiit. my gains are going to suffer.

i am feeling pretty shite mentally speaking - but am dreading potential weight gain on it. but is what user said true as long as i keep my calories the same - i wont gain any weight and continue loosing?

What's more important? More muscle mass but you'll still be extremely depressed, or beig happier yet also healthy at the same time with less muscle mass but still strong?

All anti-Ds I've been trying out over last 3 years or so have weight gain listed as potential side effects; I have not noticed any changes to my appetite, yet I gained around 10lbs.
Just talk to your shrink about it, that's the safest bet.

Muscles > everything except two things

Exactly - that is my worry. That despite eating the same amount of calories I will suddenly gain weight or stop losing it in this case.

Can't talk to my shrink about it. Do not have one.

>have not noticed
Self-reports tend to be poor in validity and reliability. It's part of the reason why psychological studies are under heavy scrutiny right now since almost all the studies are surveys and self reports over experimentation.

>getting Rxed by a standard physician
Family physicians know absolute shit about mental issues.

Yet those muscles are not making you happy.

That's how the human body works, yes.

No she is a therapeth its just wierd. I'm living in Sweden so idk.

You might not have noticed a change in appetite but unless you're counting calories you can't really know if you're eating the same amount.

>being happier
You're looking at this in a very simple way, so you must be pretty young.

First off, anti depressants will never make you happy. Ever. They TREAT SYMPTOMS of depression by addressing chemical imbalances. Not saying that anti depressants / anti anxieties can't help, but it's a bandaid.

People would rather support thr big pharma jew than directly address what's making them worry, feel sad, et cetera. What i'm saying is depression is real, but radical change is required and just sitting around taking pills will never get you to break free from your mental problems.

>Muscles > everything
Confirmed ego lifter.

user I gained tons because of Zoloft. It totally made me crazy for sugar and I'm certain it was the pills because I went back to normal after that.

You won't gain weight by magic pills tho, just don't over eat like I did on them.

thanks. a clear and good answer that answered my question.

Appreciate it mate.

>simple way
Because we as people tend to overcomplicate things. An example can be by playing a simple game called traffic jam. Children tend to complete it in 10 minutes. Adults in 40. Why? Because adults overthink.

>so you must be pretty young.
Ad hominem attacks is not an argument.

>treat symptoms
If your depression is a chemical imbalabce and you are prescribed it to regulate it, you are treating the root cause, not the symptoms.

>big pharma jew
Stop it, /pol/.

>directly address
Again, if it's a chemicsl imbalace, the medication is directly treating it. I have a severe anxiety problem. My doctor found out it-s because my heart is overactive. Since it's been like this for so long, it became ingrained in my behavior. He gave me a beta-blocker, slowed fown my heart rate. Now, I still have anxiety but it is manageable. I know this is what you are trying to say, but sometimes meds are needed.

You are right taking pills don't really change anything. There's a reason why you are prescribed them while being therapy.

>If your depression is a chemical imbalabce and you are prescribed it to regulate it, you are treating the root cause, not the symptoms.
You simply have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the medicine works. It does NOT get to the root cause, it treats the symptoms.

If it treated the root cause, why do people returned to their depressed state aftee they stop taking anti depressants? Why are anti anxieties so addicitive?

That's right, because the medicine DOESN'T ADDRESS THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM AND TREAT SYMPTOMS. You really can't be that daft.

And anyways, if depression was purely chemical and MAOIs / SSRIs treated the root cause, what would be the fucking point of taking medicine AND seeing a mental health professional?

Pro tip: it's because it requires the radical change that i referenced in my previous post.

>why do people returned to their depressed state aftee they stop taking anti depressants?
You are now contradicting yourself. If the root cause is a chemical imbalance and you are prescribed meds to correct it, then you are treating a cause. If the person is doing good while on medication only to then relapse when they are off their meds, that establishes a link.

The reason people go fall back after being off is because treatment focuses on coping behaviors. They teach you that you will always feel this way but it doesn't have to control you. It's why you take it while in therapy--it helps mellow your symptoms down by treating the underlying cause so you can learn better coping behaviors when you feel you are ready to deal with life on its own terms instead of crying "muh chemical imbalance".

>or beig happier yet also healthy at the same time with less muscle mass but still strong?
anti-depressants fuck your shit up and would be illegal if it wasn't for the fact that medicine is a jewish scam for weak-bodied beta autists

this, tablets won't solve your problems, you have to figure that out on your own by making changes to your life, be self reliant

how about more muscle mass + meditate + nofap + focus on getting good grades + get out your comfort zone + reading books, that will cure you """depression"""

there are more options than 2, you want to hear an answer you want to hear, here's what you don't want to hear:
you're a coward relying on tablets, you will always subconsciously have this insecurity that you were never good enough to live life on your own and had to pussy out and take tablets.

even if it was true that tablets would help me I wouldn't take them, how can you be confident in yourself when you take tablets because you are weak, i will never understand that, it's better to deceive yourself with lies than succumb to defeat.

>getting on the pharmacological jew
>actually considering taking a pill that will make you fat and your dick stop working (potentially permanently!)
>a habit-forming substance that you'll substitute for happiness and well-being for the rest of your life
Your funeral, OP. If you want to just fuzz out your emotions and live life cruising through a grey fog, go for it. The fact that you're here asking if it will make you put on weight suggests you aren't actually depressed. A depressed person either wouldn't care that they'd get fat, or wouldn't have the willpower to look into it.

Lift heavier, meditate, and do more therapy. Or hit that easymode switch and pay big pharma for the rest of your insipid, meaningless existence. Your call.

Experienced SSRI user here. I've been on several different ones throughout my life, lexapro being the longest. I gait a good amount of weight with each one. Close to 20 lbs each time if I didn't watch my diet. However, when you come off them, the weight usually comes off within 2 or 3 months by itself.

>all these retards pretending depression doesn't exist

Every fucking mental health thread.

it's all in your mind

No shit, that's why it's a MENTAL illness. Schizophrenia and mania are all in your mind too, but that doesn't mean they aren't serious illnesses.

Depression is something you do to yourself. It's hard to empathize with anyone whose malady is self-inflicted, and that's for everything ranging from obesity, smoking, or depression.

you are your mind, you control your thoughts, perhaps try some meditation and master your mind, or abuse the subconscious mind and say aloud affirmations twice daily as soon as you wake up and final thing before bed to form new positive belief systems. The mind is truly powerful, use it to your advantage

>I don't even know what a synapse is but I still talk about mental health: the post

I've been on antidepressants for years (I take them for OCD but it's the same Prozac you'll probably take) and I only gained weight after chugging Mutant Mass every day and eating whatever I could.

Also, even if (and it's a big 'if' imho) you do gain weight because of antidepressants, their effect may make it easier for you to handle your diet better.

That's 100% objectively wrong. Did you not graduate high school or something?

The weight gain occurs mostly from the laziness the meds induce imo. Been on them for years and never caused any unwarranted weight gain.

idk, you tell me.

even if it was objectively wrong, as long as you deceive yourself to believe a lie as truth, you live as though it was an unassailable truth and live a higher quality of life free of """depression""".

>you mean i can take them and as long as my calories are where i want them to be i wont gain weight?
correct.

They can make you hungry more.

calories in calories out still applies

>Depression is something you do to yourself. It's hard to empathize with anyone whose malady is self-inflicted, and that's for everything ranging from obesity, smoking, or depression.
No real depression is a serious chemical imbalance.

Are you retarded or just a yuropoor?

Sure kid.

>If your depression is a chemical imbalabce and you are prescribed it to regulate it, you are treating the root cause, not the symptoms.
Are you OP? This is the most retarded thing I ever heard.

>root cause is a chemical imbalance
>treat the chemical imbalance
>"This is the most retarded thing I ever heard."
This is Veeky Forums for you, everyone! Let's stop treating tooth abscesses by not giving anti-biotics that cause the body to form it by surrounding infections and giving root canals to repair the damage! That's definitely not treating the root problem!

>No real depression is a serious chemical imbalance.
The chemical imbalance is the symptom.

>This is Veeky Forums for you, everyone!
With a salty sarcastic attitude like that no wonder you're depressed. I couldn't stand a 15 seconds conversation with you, how could you stand yourself?

>The chemical imbalance is the symptom

You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about

Ive been on citalopram for over a year. Started at 10mg and went up to 40mg and now im at 20mg. The first few months i was hungry 24/7 but that turned out to be thirst more than anything. The main thing is stick to your goals.
You wont turn into a zombie like people say, you just wont care so much about insignificant things.

Anti depressants dont make people lazy.
If anything the majority of them have the effect e.g " i need to change my bedsheets" and without another thought or a pause you just get up and do it. Ive met many people who have had the same effect with anti depressants but everyones different. Lazyness isnt a drugs fault tho.

On Beta blockers for severe anxiety too lad. Over active adrenal glands for me.

You take a constant dose or as an when needed like I do?

>believing in chemical imbalance theory

tooth decay is a shitty analogy

>why people switch from drug to drug (or multiple at a time)
>why no drug works for everyone
>why some drugs have the opposite effect of treating depression
>addiction and dependence

neuroscience isn't nearly qualified to make this statement when there are so many unaccounted for mechanisms and outliers. taking anti-depressants is essentially button mashing until it affects you in a halfway desirable way and hoping the other effects don't fuck you up too bad.

>neuroscientists aren't qualified to figure out how to treat mental illnesses
>but an user who probably doesn't even have a bachelor's in biology has the requisite education to "disprove" well established science

Wew lad

As long as you weren't prescribed Risperdal, you'll be fine with exercise and watching your diet. Risperdal made me go from 180-245 in 3 months. Also, gives you gyno

i'm paraphrasing what neuroscientists have actually said.

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra073096

neuroscience and psychiatry have a much less sophisticated understanding of the human brain than we'd like. it comes down to

>not fully understanding what causes depression
>reducing it to a chemical imbalance is false medicine
>treating the supposed chemical imbalance with supposed remedies that pharmaceutical companies shove on us

There's an enormous difference between not knowing why an established illness exists, and claiming that ignorance on the causes means the illness doesn't exist. You clearly don't understand your own proof here and are so hopped up on "duh ebul farma companies are jewing us" meme that you are incapable of understanding. You're just seeing what you want to see

i'm not the same user from the posts way before; i'm not denying that depression exists. i'm saying that reducing the causes of depression to chemical imbalance is outdated and misleading (and was propped up by pharmaceutical companies so they could sell sickness).

100mg pristiq 5+ years = 20kg

the same people who DON,T believe in tablets
DO believe in supliments...Go figgure