Ok, so I need some help fixing pic related. I'm 27 and miserable with what I've let myself become. 6 ft. 220 lbs...

Ok, so I need some help fixing pic related. I'm 27 and miserable with what I've let myself become. 6 ft. 220 lbs. I really want to cut back to 180. I've done a lot of reading the past couple of weeks, and I have a rough idea of the routine that I want to do. My problem right now is understanding the concept of meal planning. I've spent hours trying to find something that will help me understand exactly what I should be eating to meet my goals, but everything that is readily available is vague at best, and everything that looks comprehensive is stuck behind a fucking paywall. I expect to have a lot of trolls here, I kind of deserve it for letting myself become this mess. But if anybody that really knows what they're doing could help a guy out, or at least point me in the right direction, it would be much apreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y1r9toPQNkM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The easiest way is to go Vegan.

No dairy, no meat, etc.

You will get the same amount of Protein in broccoli that you will get in meat. Also, get a Planet Fitness membership. They have great weight loss programs.

I used this and went from 223 to 162

>meal plans work
I've found getting active is more important than planning your meal.

I have no plans and I've burned my way down to 70kg from 110kg, and I'm 5'8". I stopped consuming as much crap and started portion controlling during that process.

gl

I'm not looking at just meal planning. I've started a dumbbell workout at home.

youtube.com/watch?v=y1r9toPQNkM

I just wanted to get something down nutrition wise before I went and got myself a gym membership. I want to maximize what I get out of a workout. This is all just kind of a whole new world for me and I'm not sure how to weed out what works from the bull that's out there.

Your meal prep should be 100% tailored to you. This is why most things worth anything are vague. There are some guide rules and then it's up to you to fulfill out the rest through experimentation.

Here's what I can help you with:
>> What I should be eating to meet my goals
I presume you want to lose weight and build muscle. What is suggested for people trying to drastically change their body is to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound.
Next, find a tdee calculator to find a guess as to what your maintenance is at. 1000 calorie deficit is safe for individuals who are overweight. You seem to have very little lean mass, I would encourage you to aggressively lose weight, and worry about building muscle later. If you find that a 1000 calorie deficit is too much for you, either now or later, give yourself 500 calories and keep trucking.

Following what calorie deficit you ultimately choose, finally begin your meal planning. First fill in your calories with your protein. So, add chicken breast, tuna, Greek yogurt and eggs as prime protein sources to fulfill your requirements. If the protein you need is more than what you are allowed calorically (this is nearly impossible for someone in your boat), look at whey protein. If you don't have the time to incorporate lots of different protein sources or cannot manage eating a lot of lean protein, look to whey protein as ways to fulfill your requirements.

Next, Carbs. You need these if you ever plan on giving your 100% every workout. I suggest starting with 100 grams of carbs. If you don't feel ragged by the end of a week, decrease your carbs. If you can't keep up week after week, bump up your carbs. Do small increments.

You need complex carbs and fiber (rice, beans, vegetables) to keep energy throughout the day. You need simple sugars (fruits, yougurt, maybe even a tiny piece of candy) when you are low on fuel (upon waking up or after an intense workout)

Fill the rest out with fats. Sparingly.

That helps. I can do eggs and chicken (though I'm a shit cook). I've been warned about too much tuna. Fibrous vegetables are doable for me. Always loved carrots, and I can manage celery with enough peanutbutter. Do unsalted pistachios work for fats? And what should I look at for the carbs?

Disregard carbs question. brainfarded on what you listed

Part two.

Bro science. What time you eat things and how often you eat things do matter. But their effects are marginal at best. If you want to eat 20 grams of protein every 2 hours, go for it. You don't have to do it, it won't make sense to try if you can't.

Here's what you do need to do: keep complex carbs early or in the middle of your day. Keep simple sugars after a workout. If you want to take casein protein, best take it before you sleep.

Here are what schools of thought are for "diets:"
>> Clean eating Clean bulking
You keep the majority of your diet to what I had previously described. If you have discipline, this is the best way to progress in your bulk and cut, as you'll be eating the same food for either phase. You are allowed cheat days or cheat meals depending on what allows you to see progress. When you take these days or meals is entirety dependent on how quickly you want to reach your goals, your discipline, and what you consider a cheat day/meal to include. These are for your own sanity, as no one can be satisfied with eating the same things day in and day out for months at a time.
>>keto
This diet is restricted to eating at a natural deficit, based on the fact that you will mentally reject the amounts on fats and protein you will need daily. The biggest pro of this diet is that you will have a suppressed appetite after a month or two. The cons is that it's expensive, you'll hit a wall early, food options are terrible, there are no cheat days, and you will not be able to be at 100% efficacy in your workouts because you will not have optimal amounts of glycogen. Further more, eating too much protein and fat in too little of a time phase will give you an insulin spike, which is counterintuitive to what this diet promotes.
>>Vegan
Obviously, this diet is just as restricted as keto in that everything you will eat will be plant based. However, because the amounts of fat in plant sources are really low.

Yeah...no. Lose the weight before putting it back on as muscle. Lifting may work, I've tried and it didn't work for me--I tried dumbbells-at-home too. Instead I chose cardio (running) because I know that'll come in handy when I start to lift professionally. Running has worked very well for me; I'm dropping belt notches and it feels great. Once I'm >10% body fat I'm going to start bulking and renew my gym membership. Then I'll be able to see muscle progress early on, instead of waiting for the tides of fat to subside before the muscle can show through.

One of the gym employees did advise me to lose the weight before gaining muscle. I wish I had taken that advice before dropping $$$ on a wasted six-month membership.

That's about as cut and dry as I've seen anything on this. Thank you

>> End of vegan
TLDR, you can eat a lot of plants. You don't have to kill animals. If you want volume, and don't like meat, go for it.

Vegans and keto peeps need to keep up their micronutrients with vitamin supplements.
Canned tuna (Big brands that are regulated, like starkist or chicken of the sea) are fine once a day everyday. Anymore, and you risk the typical mercury poisoning spiel.
Carrots are high in sugar, as is peanut butter. Because nut butters are calorically dense, I would advise you to avoid them on cuts but chase them on bulks. Eating fiber doesn't mean that you need to eat food that you don't like. Try these fibrous foods: Sweet potatoes, raw dark leafy greens (spinach, arugula, kale, lettuce variations), fruits (apples, strawberries and berries) or gummy fiber supplements.

Nuts are excellent sources of fats. If you love pistachios, and can substitute things you desire with them, go ahead as long as you're not going overboard.

If you're bad at cooking, consider this as an opportunity to both get fit and become a better cook. These are skills that produce self efficient and independent individuals.

Everything I can find says that putting on muscle mass is a more efficient fat burner than straight cardio. What am I missing? What makes running better?

eatthismuch.com

Op btw. Switched to mobile. Grocery shopping

user writing walls of text here,
Calories burned are calories burned. Cardio is an excellent choice if you want to have cardiovascular health. Can you run a mile with no to little difficulty? If no, I would strongly advise you to pursue running outside of a gym.
Weight lifting is an excellent choice if you want to build strength, and muscle. More muscle also means that your body will have a greater metabolic rate as a means of supporting all the muscle you have. This ultimately means that maintenance will require you to eat more. Everyone on Veeky Forums wants to be big. I presume you want to be big. I can spew more about this, but I feel like I would be doing so unwarranted.

I'll just state that both will help you lose weight by burning calories, and your choice of doing either is solely dependent on what you want to train. Best case scenario, do both. Worst case scenario, don't do either.

This is precise as fuck.

It's about this precise.

About this precise.

I just don't want to feel like a slob any more. I don't need to be the next terminator.

Shold I do both run and lift? Lift odd days and run even? Is it better to focus on one over the other?

Fair goal. I would advise you to focus on strength training, and doing cardiovascular on rest days. I don't want you to get to your ideal body fat percentage and realize that you're not as healthy and virile as you want to be. I fear that when you become leaner, you'll appear sickly and will wish to be more muscular. Prepare for this by pursing strength weight training seriously. You will not look like a terminator when you arrive to your ideal weight, but you'll have the means to become as muscular as you want to be when you do.

When you are happy with your appearance, pursue cardiovascular health over lifting. Cardiovascular health is far more beneificial for if you are not obese, happy with your physique, and adequately strong enough to tackle whatever obstacle comes your way.

Thanks a ton text wall user. I feel a little more confident moving forward. Going to reference this thread a lot in the coming weeks

God speed user. Good luck.

>I kind of deserve it for letting myself become this mess.
You deserve it for being so retarded you need to post a thread instead of reading the sticky on any kind of forum on the entire internet.