Highbar vs Lowbar Squat

Highbar or lowbar squat?

Which do you do/prefer and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

strengtheory.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/
strengtheory.com/high-bar-and-low-bar-squatting-2-0/?_ga=1.163214460.1931813971.1484014374
steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/uploads/006/008/Gullet et al 2009 - J Strength & Conditioning Research.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do both

Lowbar squats

I've got long legs, which means I use more posterior chain during the deadlift, lowbar squats help me strengthen it.

I do lowbar only because highbar hurts my traps...

JUST

Highbar because lowbar is a meme and not a real squat

I've always done highbar, I'm not really sure why. I think I watched a video years ago when I first got into lifting showing high bar squats and that's just what I did.

I do high
low gives me better glute activation but it's hard on my back. 6'1 210

Lowbar and deadlift hits the same muscles. Do highbar + deadlifts

lowbar, when I first started lifting, I didn't know about lowbar and did highbar and it hurt like a mofo.

High bar for a year
Low bar for a year
Front the whole time
Low bar is superior

High bar and low bar hit the same muscles you dingus. Literally the only significant difference between the two styles is low bar has a leverage advantage that lets you move more weight. They both have significant carryover to deadlifts.

i do both

strict high bar as assistance, low bar is my main stance

i squat high bar because elite olympic weightlifters squat high bar so that means when i squat high bar i am just like elite olympic weightlifters and superior to fat powerlifters :)

highbar feels more natural

/thread

Whatever, both have the same benefits and will make the same gains

I generally do highbar and it's never bothered me. Do whichever is more comfortable for you, and whichever ensures that you have most control over your center of mass. You should feel the pain of lifting in your muscles, not your bones.

Just watched that episode last night. What a great show

sauce, boss?

I do high bar with shitty form so it turns into a low bar at the bottom because I lean forward so much. Just fuck my shit up

Do whichever is better for your body type. Longs legs tend to do better low bar.

I agree. But at the same time I want to squat more with lowbar.
Holding it up with my arms just feels weird though.

hitting the same muscles =/= same muscle activation. youre right about everything else but low bar is more taxing on your erectors and glutes

No wonder I prefer highbar. I'm 5'11 but stocky as fuck with thicc legs.

Read this and kindly fuck off.

strengtheory.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/

You're wrong and providing wrong information. There is a good reason lowbar squats are easier to do heavier weight.

>disregarding an article written by a man with several years more lifting experience than you and who moves several hundred pounds more than you in any major lift because it doesn't agree with the dumbshit spewed by people who haven't been lifting for 6 months on this board

"okay"

How do you know I'm not 60 with 40+ years lifting experience?

Because if you are you are you're as intelligent as a bro science spewing mongs that have an arm day. Which I would expect from most men who are lifting and 60 years old.

Low bar with a slight heel raise (oly shoes).

My hip mobility is poor and I can get more weight up on the bar which means more muscle recruitment and more gains. Also the carry over to deads is much better. If I could hit good depth with high bar I'd incorporate it for sure.

That article is obviously supposed to be controversial. Learn to journalism. Low bar hits lower back and hams more and anyone who needs convincing should do a set of each one after the other and contemplate how wrong they are afterwards.

Front squat only master race

Same, I always feel like high bar risks putting the weight on my spine directly.

Low bar is safer and has more muscle mass ready to hold the bar.

Using that argument, why not do front squats + deadlifts?

High bar is just a defective front squat.

I feel highbar is better because it won't snap my back. Rests ez and comfortable up there instead of holding it up with my arms.

How tall are you?

6 foot

Guess it's down to preference. Going to try lowbar next week just to double check.

>hits hamstrings and lower back more

But you're literally wrong. There's no significant difference for hamstrings and if anything the front squat requires more spinal erector activation than the back squat.

You're literally wrong.

I squat high bar. Just feels more natural to me. I could probably squat more doing low bar but I'm not aiming for PR's every workout.

High bar, because low bar never felt comfortable to me and low bar doesn't help with cleaning and snatching

My slavic genetics prohibit me from doing anything but atg squat. So high bar

The only reason hamstrings would play a significant role in the squat is if your squat looks like a good morning. It doesn't matter if you squat highbar or lowbar.

Your argument is literally, "no you're wrong," and you have nothing to back up your claim.

strengtheory.com/high-bar-and-low-bar-squatting-2-0/?_ga=1.163214460.1931813971.1484014374

Even this study shows there's not a significant difference in muscle activation in the front vs back squat.

steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/uploads/006/008/Gullet et al 2009 - J Strength & Conditioning Research.pdf

Lol. Try squatting low bar then squatting front, and tell me you fatigue in the same way. Then come back with your tail between your legs.

I'm also 6 feet, but don't feel the same as the other guy. I do prefer lowbar though, it just feels right to squat that way.

I always squatted high bar then had the bright idea of going low bar. Yes, I could lift more weight. This was great for about 4 months then one day while doing a PR, I pulled a muscle in my back which hurt like a bitch and made squatting in any form an impossibility for several weeks.
Moral of the story: low bar puts more stress on your erectors so if you have any slight back problems, you'd be well advised to squat high bar. Personal experience.

I don't know because I don't have eyes in the back of my head. I place the bar where it feels right

I find that the lowbar squat is really hard on your wrists, shoulders and back, that's the main reason I avoid it. You can move more weight with the lowbar but unless you are a competitive powerlifter I don't think it's worth the strain it puts on your body.

Front squat only all the way

Pretty much this. Its even not uncommon for powerlifters to train high bar mostly then groove low bar only for competitions. The only reason to do low bar is pretty much if you look to compete or need to brag about your squat.