Barbell rows vs seated rows

Which ones better Veeky Forums? Planning on doing for sets of 8 reps. I already do dumbbell rows in my routine if it matters

there is basically no difference, just easier with cable rows to take legs out of the equation. Do which ever you prefer

Is it true that free weights are better in all cases though? Is this one of the exceptions where neither is better than the other?

bb vs db? which one is better?

>Is it true that free weights are better in all cases though?

That's a Veeky Forums meme

free weights aren't better in all cases necessarily, that's just a meme. Sometimes you need machines to do very easily what it would be more difficult to set up with free weights (e.g. face pulls)

plus, cables are much better than lever machines which have a set plane of motion because there's more stability involved.

doesn't really matter, just pick one

i do both

So if I were to, say, replace my barbell rows with seated rows in my SL5x5 routine (while obviously keeping up the incremental weight progression), I would not lose out on back development?

I ask because barbell rows feel terrible akward and often give me piercing headaches holding my head in such a shit position without support.

yeah you'll be fine. You might have more trouble using smaller increments though which is obviously less of an issue on a barbell

Nyet, the cable row at my gym goes up to 300 by increments of 10, but also has 5 lb rubber weight you can add for incremental weights. I figure by the time I can row 305 lbs, I will have other problems to worry about. Thank you for tip Caladan of Dune.

damn, you've made me really want to try facepulls with dumbbells now

yeah solid piece of equipment then, mine is only increments of 7kg

I've tried it, feels kinda stupid though

Not to be intentionally rude, but I must ask this. Do you use cable/lever rows over barbell rows? If you do, may we please see a pic of your back as best as you can obtain it, and perhaps how long you have been doing them for?

yeah I do at the moment considering my hip has been acting up for a while. Cable rows take the strain off the lower back compared to barbell rows. Also this sounds like a copout but rather than how I look, what do you think of the content of the argument?

Keep in mind I'm not saying one is superior to the other, but the differences tend to get really overemphasized when they're really not that different. As long as you're significantly developing lower traps, lats, rhomboids, etc. which you can with all different types of heavy row, what difference does it make?

Seal rows or chest-supported rows are the best row variations for any purpose, don't reply to me and try to argue you fucks

No problems with the argument, but many people can make the argument without having the results and proof of knowing what works and what doesn't. Looks good to me though. What I'm admiring is dem traps tho. Is that from barbell shrugs, deadlifts, or what?

This, we have a french press machine (no not for coffee fags) at our gym and it's always in use. Way better than free weighting it.

probably weightlifting more than anything else, clean/snatch volume and pulls tend to involve a lot of trap work

>not having a french press machine for backs and also a french press machine for coffee
>going to shit-tier gym
>never
>gonna
>make it

Good back development
Work on lower lats if you give a shot

imo seated chest supported rows are about as good as it gets

sure you can do bb rows and kroc rows and cable rows but i've never felt like i got as much out of any of those movements as regular chest supported rows

or you could find one of these

>all these replies
>not a single mention of heavy-ass DB rows

it's like some of you don't even want gains

Chest supported rows are too uncomfortable for me personally. I don't like basically smushing my face against the bench and it's uncomfortable to lie on my dick like that. Give me cable rows any day.

>DB rows
>Wanting to give yourself knee tendinitis
>Working out one side of your back at a time

not really sure what your machine looks like, i'm guessing it's one of the angled ones? mine's exactly like this, makes it easy to do one arm at a time too.

stupid as in not as effective or just unusual because youre used to cables?

>muh tendinitis

Try it. Work up to 120 for 8+ reps and your back will know what love is

probably just unusual. That said I don't see any upsides compared to cables so why bother?

for shits n giggles i guess. Do you use pro or sup grip for them?

Do you do straight back cable rows or do you do the normal move your spine back and forth with the cable row

That looks more like a pull up machine than row machine

nah if you adjust the seat height correctly you end up pulling down/back at your sides. it's a high row but you get a really stretch at the top and a great contraction at the end of the movement.

most people i see adjust the seat way too low, end up pulling at shoulder height or just below shoulder height, and really only hit their rear delts and maybe mid back.

What is this anime?

Koutetsujou no kabaneri yukina, otherwise known as kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.