/plg/ Powerlifting General

Welcome to /PLG/ - bosu balls general

Post PR's, routines, form checks, meet results, schmexy lifts, etc.

If you unironically use the words "mental illness" and "degenerate" to describe other posters, then please stay outside of this general. /PLG/ Thanks you!

>Official Website:
powerliftinggeneral.com/

>The official pastebin
pastebin.com/sNJAvbZ8

>How to deadlift by some fat dude
youtu.be/tfYez7-h55c [Open]

>How to be a great deadlifter by IPF ATHLETE MIKE TUCHSCHERER
youtu.be/hlBMGsRly1c [Open]

>How to sumo deadlift by IPF ATHLETE AND ISLEY'S PERSONAL SPIRIT ANIMAL ALEXANDER KANG
youtu.be/J2p5IcvT8JY [Open]

>How to lowbar squat by IPF ATHLETE JONATHAN CANDITO
youtu.be/7fmrKmJMQnw [Open]

>How to set up for the Squat
youtu.be/nfWlot6h_JM [Open]

>How to set WRs by IPF ATHLETE AND WR HOLDER CONNOR LUTZ
youtu.be/593esHz-Oqo&list=UU2AylXQjX_qvxfesfBOYq5A [Open]

>How to build a big bench by IPF ATHLETE CONNOR LUTZ pt 2
youtu.be/XrVZqPkgdXo&list=UU2AylXQjX_qvxfesfBOYq5A [Open]

>How to bench press by some weak dude
youtu.be/_V189hK85BI [Open]

>/plg/ atlas
zeemaps.com/map?group=1252009&location=United States&add=

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cfn4wy-9lc3mO5ObkoBU_Bf2GUtkr42gCyZS_hzeD4I/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8YmCRV8hL4VFdMtuSzNAM_0wjPF4lj1HxHFEnMVers/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18nIdEHDGktGptKsWDQzowXkmHeM6XGMFj-TnGdQKLmY/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1htZVT7ltLYVBSB3Uh9PQKqARitj46IEgihbo3Uu04P0/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Yt4THa8mZNR81aUcgDVgdqTpc3GiAKLenx3Z7id0yE/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1akqwfO1und1UI1zvnwK9KIMeJ-r0TLjYJMxi2cTp84c/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sheiko Programs:

Beginner (/plg/ internet exclusive)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cfn4wy-9lc3mO5ObkoBU_Bf2GUtkr42gCyZS_hzeD4I/edit?usp=sharing

Intermediate Small Load (/plg/ internet exclusive)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8YmCRV8hL4VFdMtuSzNAM_0wjPF4lj1HxHFEnMVers/edit?usp=sharing

Intermediate Medium Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18nIdEHDGktGptKsWDQzowXkmHeM6XGMFj-TnGdQKLmY/edit?usp=sharing

Intermediate Large Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1htZVT7ltLYVBSB3Uh9PQKqARitj46IEgihbo3Uu04P0/edit?usp=sharing

Advanced Medium Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Yt4THa8mZNR81aUcgDVgdqTpc3GiAKLenx3Z7id0yE/edit?usp=sharing

Advanced Large Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1akqwfO1und1UI1zvnwK9KIMeJ-r0TLjYJMxi2cTp84c/edit?usp=sharing

All of the shoes described below are great, including the cheapest options.
Heel height is personal preference.

Remember to look for sales. They're very common.

Contrary to popular belief, your back is not responsible for lifting the bar during Deadlifts.
This is done by your glutes, hamstrings, and other hip extensors.

What your back does is keep the bar in your centre of gravity (lats) and keeping your torso stable in order to have a proper transfer of force between your hips and the barbell (spinal erectors and upperback muscles)

I hate to bump your thread, but maybe you should add "in an ideal deadlift". Because how I deadlift definitely uses my spine.

To add, a lot of people consider hip extension to be using your back, since your torso (spine) is moving, even if staying rigid (angular movement).

Anyone who isn't a complete moron realizes everything you and me have said anyway. So stop posting garbage content trying to bump your ugly thread, thank you.

Contrary to popular broscience, strengthening your lats will not help your bench press.

While it is technically true that the lats help push the bar off your chest, their range of motion is merely a couple of centimetres. After that, they actively pull the bar AGAINST the desired direction.
Thus, the current most fitting hypothesis is that your CNS doesn't activate your lats for pushing off your chest at all, in order to prevent them from pulling the bar against your chest (their range of motion is very limited anyways).

However, we do not have proper technology to be sure of how little the Lats help. Maybe the help a bit more than we think. But biomechanicaly it's possible to see that it's not an important factor, and strengthening or training your lats in order to increase your bench press is to no avail.

However, training your back muscles has the benefit of keeping your body healthy and preventing injuries.

Yeah, I usually mention the case of rounded back deadlifting using your erectors dynamically as well, but forgot about it this time.

>a lot of people consider hip extension to be using your back

Yes, including big names like Sheiko. But this is not the "back" that most people here think about when they read it, and that's why it's so common for self-made programs to misplace the deadlifts.

I'm just bringing up some info for discussion and reflexion, and some people might find it interesting and even learn a thing or two. And some people might have new knowledge that proves me wrong.

I agree that deadlifts are a leg excercise over a back excercise.

But the reality is that it's both, even if the back is used only isometrically for he most part, and his has to be taken into consideration somewhat.

On a split routine, in most contexts, deadlifts go on leg day. It just makes sense.

Also, since you're considering it primarily a leg excercise, you then get grand insight that powerlifting has 2 lifts that work the same muscles (and are similar movements in many senses), and one that is completely different. (simply 2 lower body 1 upper body)

This has some big insights into programming. For example, how Sheiko alternates squatting and deadlift, not often doing both on the same day, vs benching being more frequent.

Also brings you to the realization that back and hip/leg strength is more important than upper body/pressing strength for putting up a big total (helps with 2/3 of the lifts, which are also the biggest of the 3 lifts).

I wouldn't say the back is isometric only, since the lats are dynamic and the spinal erectors are dynamic to some extent as well. In fact I always defend that the deadlift is in fact a great exercise for the back and the lats, despite the "main" movement being handled by your hips and legs.

But yes, for powerlifting purposes, it's often preferred to keep deadlift and squat volume separated, specially to avoid getting injured.

But that doesn't mean you can't deadlift and squat in the same day. It's perfectly fine if you use the other main lift as a simple accessory or a lighter variation.

In fact, even though in the Sheiko spreadsheets he avoid deadlifts and squats in the same day, he does put squats and deadlifts in the same day for his online trainees (people who are actually paying him for a personal program and coaching).

I realise we're discussing something we both know and agree on, but I guess it's nice to put the info here for other people :)

If the back remains straight it's mostly isometric.

Some scapular retraction at the top. If the shoulder angle changes and the lats are firing you're using them at different angles to keep the bar close, I suppose.

Beyond that I don't see much dynamic use of the back (dynamic to me means the muscle is being used to actually lift the weight, with the joint the muscle attaches to being used through actually some range of motion)

ITT: nerds use semantics to unsuccessfully lift the bar.

>Tfw I just do heavy triples every time and I'm up nearly up to a 600 squat

>le lifting should be exclusively about training stupid meme

Please don't support trappy and blueshoes spam and post in here

>give couch stretch a try after months of not bothering
Holy Jesus fuck that hurts so bad and my ROM is basically non-existent. Need to loosen up my hips, especially my right side. Besides rolling my hips, couch stretch, and banded distractions, anything else I should be doing?

If you had made that 2 hours earlier I'd delete this one. But at this point it's probably the mods are just gonna delete that one.

What meme squat variation should I do today? Supposed to do knee wrapped squats on rts intermediate but don't have knee wraps.

Try harder?

vid related

Kek id love to meet the personal trainer that has her doing that

How about some secret MMA legend training?

i asked this in another thread, but does this mean that cues like "spreading the bar" or "breaking the bar apart" are useless, or is tightness in the lat still good for things like bar path and consistency in the lift?

if not, are there better cues? i've been very confused on tucking vs flaring lately, and the "spreading the bar" cue seems to better in aiding perfect alignment of the wrist and elbow, while "breaking the bar apart" just causes overtucking and misalignment

>genetics

Tighter lats will help you bench more. Not because they are pushing the bar but because Tighter setup bigger bench so no those cues arent useless

I feel like the spreading the bar apart cue is similar to the cue I use, which is to push my elbows out and not toward my feet, at least to start the movement. Imo, it's very helpful for people who overtuck/let their elbows come in front of the bar

Tightness in the region of the lats is good, aka using your traps and rhomboids etc to keep your scapulae and thus your shoulders in place and stable. But the lats are usually not very involved in this, only marginally and seems to vary accordingly to technique.

I never really liked or used those cues myself, but everyone has their favourite cue that works best for them.
Most common cues I teach are: don't rest the butt on the bench keep it tight and only touching it, freeze the bar as soon as it touches your shirt, and think about pushing your upper back into the bench using your legs and your arms/chest and not just pushing the bar away from yourself.

More advanced lifters usually just need to be reminded small things, like the bar path or shoulder rotation. But usually they just have the lift be a natural thing at this point and have their own quirks and mental cues about it.

I was in a gym for a while and what the fuck happened here, 3 different threads, teapot trip. I can't even leave you for a second.

All it takes is one person not liking someone to start making extra threads and make a mess.

Not really anything reflecting the community itself, mostly just showing we need some janitors around Veeky Forums.

hmm... yeah i'll have to experiment with my own cues since the popular ones doesnt work for me, whatever i do i feel off, and sometimes get inconsistent lockout, hit the rack, or touch too high. i think all of it stems from incorrect elbow position, which causes me to touch too low (making it a front raise) which fucks the lockout

i thought of a new cue earlier, thinking about pushing my wrist into my elbow, or imagining a straight line between the two, or a stick maybe

will try it tomorrow

>ass this far off the bench
In which competitions is this legal and where isn't it? My impressions are that this is allowable in Europe but not in the US