Discussion on the Normans and their accomplishments

I wrote my UG thesis on the Normans. I ended up going to LS and getting my JD because I didn't want to risk financial paupery and join a factual somewhere full of leftist, marxist scum. But then when I see a documentary like the one I will link to, it makes me nostalgic all over again.

I come from one of the biggest French Norman families who settled Acadia beginning in 1604 (before Jamestown of Plymouth). Anyway, curious as to what people think and how much the average person knows about the Normans, who in only a few hundred years managed to conquer not only Britain but Sicily, Southern Italy, Malta, retook Antioch and played a very large part in the retaking of Jerusalem during the first Crusade.

Does anyone on here have any substantial graduate-level experience on this topic? Would be curious to get thoughts. The documentary is not perfect, but for the BBC it's at least rational in acknowledging that the Crusades were essentailly defensive wars aimed at retaking Christian lands and stopping further turk incursions:

youtube.com/watch?v=VM4TiaDnnYM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=10xJTyhYtqI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>conquer not only Britain
They only took England

>They only took England
Not true. This is basic knowledge, but a simple look at documentary before running mouth off would have saved you the embarrassment. They took wales, Scotland, along with Ireland, though with different levels of domination.

Does NO ONE here really know anything about this amazing group and just how much they accomplished? From Mont Sant-Michel ll the way down to Malta where you can see the amazing walls they built around Rabat, this was by far the most important group in terms of influencing Europe, from Scotland to Malta and beyond.

>They only took England
that depends how we define "they" and "took"

I love them. Biggest empire since Charlemagne and the Italian Normans were a thorn in the side of the German and Byzantine Empire. Both of those empires couldn't even beat them. Pious warriors too, with a great culture

A simple look online finds me this map. Don't know where you got the idea that they ruled Scotland as well
Is this referring to how normans are ancestors of modern english?

Just suck your own dick already OP

No, I mean that the Scottish paid homage to the Normans and the Scottish court was filled with Norman culture

>tfw was looking over my DNA ancestry results
>my paternal line is from Ireland, but my Y chromosomal haplogroup is from Germanic tribes
>puzzled.jpg
>turns out that the area my ancestors came from was taken by the Normans and ruled over by them
>my surname is actually directly from those Norman Irish kings from that region my ancestors are from
>ancestors got NORMANED

Yeah i agree with that it's just they didn't 'take' it. Although you could argue that they did as the English have norman ancestry

>Don't know where you got the idea that they ruled Scotland as well
user, this is basic common knowledge included even in the BBC documentary. Norman knights were invited in by the Scottish Queen Margaret and she gave one of her daughters in marriage to a prominent Norman noble. This isn't debatable or even the least bit controversial. You've yet to provide me with any sort of corroborating evidence for your thesis other than a few poorly constructed random maps. he Norman domination of Scotland is historical fact. I have no real dog in the fight, I'm simply telling you the truth.

Pretentious crap aside, i meant they didn't conquer scotland like they did everywhere else

>Just suck your own dick already OP
wow, what an amazing, well-thought out, and studious reply. Clearly, your knowledge of the Normans in European history is impeccable. Thus to reason you need to look for attention by inserting meaningless, scatalogical into threads as you wish for the attention now online that mummy and daddy never gave you. Talk about a pathetic shitbag.....

>

thy didn't directly conquer by force of arms in quite the same way, no. But they did end up in a situation where they were the dominant power in Scotland.

I rally wish more was widely known by the public about this group. There's popular meme that goes around here sometimes that insinuates that he Vikings/Norsemen were not great builders. Of course, these retarded meme fails to acknowledge not only mount san michel, but the amazing amount of Romanesque cathedrals they built everywhere they went.

for any user who has the time, that documentary to which I linked is def. worth watching entire 3

what a fucking pathetic, desperate faggot you are. Ah yes, an interest in European history and Normans is certainly indicate of a fedora-tipping atheist you brainless scum. LEAVE MY BOARD.

Why do you speak like such a faggot? Are you on the spectrum?

>insinuates that he Vikings/Norsemen were not great builders.
Are you suggesting the Normans were vikings? Pretty sure all the cool stuff they did came about when they were francified

this is the most muh heritage garbage i've seen in a single post in a while
kill yourself you braindead american

>uggesting the Normans were vikings?
Not suggesting. They WERE VIKINGS. Again, no debatable. Even the cowardly BBC didn't shy away from this. Not even disputable.

]

>muh heritage garbage
translation: "I'm a literal retard who knows nothing about the topic in question, thus I will try to affect some sort of airs if superiority in hopes it will distract others from the fact that my historical knowledge is embarrassingly poor."

They did not take Sicily and Malta that were the French.
Also, they were all kicked out of these place apart from England, because it was too unimportant. When the crusades started there were no normans anymore apart from England.

Now fuck off

>you speak like such a faggot?
translation: "I have no historical knowledge of any kind and no sort of degree other than my high school diploma, which I barely passed."

contain your autism you cringeworthy moron

The Angevins were the true OGs. That empire could have lasted, had Richard the Lionheart not ruined everything.

h topic. I know I speak for others in the community when I offer you sincere thanks for advancing the discussion just that much further with your stellar input.

>true OGs.

Just think about how many black men are fucking white women right now. Are you fucking a white woman right now? I didn't think so.

*John Lackland

We're probably related. Dad's side is Norman-Irish.

youtube.com/watch?v=10xJTyhYtqI

also, I am fucking a white girl, she is from Delaware but now lives here.

They where an epic mix of Norwegians, French and English.

Brainlet.

You fucking autist, England != Britain

I see a lot of Norman Irish and English here. I'm descended from the Normans directly, and instead of being initially English or irish, I literally wuz the kangz who sailed over to England and Ireland

All us English wuz tha Norman kangz too

They conquered huge swathes of Ireland and Welshland

Pretty sure those were the subsequent Plantagenets

Indeed.

They're Vikings

They wuz vikangz n shieeettt. No they were filthy franks

They were Scandinavians who settled in Northern France.

Hi OP. My mother's surname is Norman English. My dad's side of the family has Norman English and Irish surnames. Seems to me, from a docu I saw years ago, Normans were one of the first people able to use stirrups effectively, and this gave him a military advantage. Dunno how true that is.

Theyre so based.
There like vikings who arent drug addicts and who are good at masonry.
They were also recognised in there own time as being superior

Nope, they were French with some small % of scandi muh heritage.

As an Englishman I'm glad they won the battle of Hastings and I closer identify with the Normans than Anglo-Saxons

>vikings who arent drug addicts

England would be more like a less relevant nordic country without them desu.

Viking berserkers imbibed freaky fungi

They took Amanita muscaria