Hey Veeky Forums coming off the back fo an injury I've decided to switch up my sport and so my routine

Hey Veeky Forums coming off the back fo an injury I've decided to switch up my sport and so my routine.

I was doing (lightweight) front squats today and I felt what could be only described as a 'crackling' along the outside of my left elbow; the area highlighted in the pic.

Does anyone know what caused this?
I'm concerned it might be indicative of a larger issue or back problem.

Any help is appreciated, in exchange I can teach you anything you like about rowing.

Other urls found in this thread:

triggerpoints.net/sites/default/files/Quadratus Lumborum (2).jpg
triggerpoints.net/sites/default/files/External Oblique Abdominals, Lateral Abdominals.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Was it painful?
Could be that your elbow was tilted down more than in the picture, which caused it to support more of the weight on the bar, stressing it. Keep your chest and elbows up.

No, if it was painful it would have been less worrying somehow, I barely had even the last joint of my first two fingers under the bar.

It felt like a nerve thing, it ran just under the surface of my skin. I've no basis for saying it was a nerve thing, that's just my gut instinct.

I think I know where you mean.

Was it the underside of the elbow? Like jsut under the skin? On the point where you hit it and then your whole arm tingles?

I would describe it as the outside of the elbow, where there's nothing between the skin and bone. If you hold your arms out, palms up, it would be the underneath yeah.

Right where this 'funny bone' is located? I know that and I've had it for quite some time when I did various Triceps excersizes. It just subsided for me, nothing ever came of it.

It's a weird as fuck feeling though, thought it was tendonitis at first but I'm ok.

Everyone has a funny bone, it's just one of your bones.

If you holf either arm outstretched, palms up and feel the underneath you should feel the knobbly bit that makes the 'point' of your elbow. If you then move your hand around your elbow on the side that's point toward the inside of your body your should feel another nub of bone. the hollow between these two bits of bone is what's call the funny bone, if you get hit there it will send a tingling sensation down to your little finger and, if hit hard enough, can give you a dead arm.

I know, but is this where your feeling is located? Mine was just under the skin, right where the funny bone is. But it wasn't this tingling or something, just a tightness that I felt.

No, nothing like that, I know what you're talking about it.

I've been trying to articulate in my head for a while and the best visual aid I can give is pic related, this is what it felt like, but it instantly passed, and there was no pain.

Is it painful? Sounds like some nerve or something.

I remember when I broke my ankle and they were taking out the threads from the stitches I noticed this feeling, but in my toe. Was really freaky.

No, it passed instantly, it felt as though something passed through my skin.

Oh well, guess I'll find out next time I front squat. Thanks for the help friendo.

Bumping because this is the only injury thread in catalogue.

I get these horrible pains on my shins. Never had shin splints before, but this feels much worse than how people describe shin splints.

I'll be going to a doctor soon. I guess I have to stop running, guess it's true what they say: cardio kills gains. Thankfully it doesn't hurt when I lift, only when I run.

since this became a sudden injury thread, I have extremely weak hip flexors and I don't know what to do about it. It affects mostly ab work outs and squats. What can I do to strengthen them? I've tried knee raises but it doesn't seem to help much. I can barely lift my knees without alot of discomfort and my job has alot of physical activity. I ended up getting the injury while at work.

Is it normal because I also get cracks every time I'm benching or doing push up ? Regularly

Are you feeling back pain along with it or is the pain actually running along the hips? Would you describe the pain as wrapping from the side/back to the front of the hip?

Where are you feeling the cracks/pops?

The only place its affected is where my groin and thighs connect in the front. I don't feel it on the back side either. My lower back is pretty good so it doesn't make alot of sense. I usually only feel it mostly in ab work outs. I can do around 50 sit ups before it becomes painful.

That is actually helpful. It doesn't sound like it's a psoas issue after all. Now to try and pinpoint it, does the pain feel deep? Does a widening stance relieve/increase/not affect the pain level? Is the pain above/below/under the inguinal crease?

Yeah a widening stance does relieve it. doing wide leg squats helps alleviate it. The pain does feel deep and it lingers after exercises. I just did some knee raises on a pull up bar and I can feel it after. It feels like it runs along the inguinal crease, maybe a little under it.

Ok I've seen this pain pattern in a few people, including myself. I didn't ask this, but I suspect the pain is worse on one side especially if you lean to one side or the other.

Based on your description this is the first muscle I suspect: triggerpoints.net/sites/default/files/Quadratus Lumborum (2).jpg

The point on the QL labeled 1 is the most likely one. It's right under the last rib and connects to the spine. Try laying on a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball and slowly roll around that area. If it's the correct spot you will feel that referred pain to the front. Once you get the muscle to release the pain should greatly diminish.

The other area I suspect would be this: triggerpoints.net/sites/default/files/External Oblique Abdominals, Lateral Abdominals.jpg

The area labeled lateral abdominals is what you want to work. This spot you can work with your fingers by pressing with even pressure on the spots with an X on the picture. The abdominals and obliques can easily develop trigger points if they're overworked.

Let me know if either of these help. I have a few other muscles that I suspect, but these are prime suspects. I've worked on a lot of people with these trigger points, especially the Quadratus Lumborum.

Based off that description it sounds like it could be a couple things

1. Joint popping, though probably not because I assume you know what that feels like

2. The feeling could be weak fibers in your triceps snapping due to lack of flexibility, doesn't usually hurt if you are being careful. Just don't over do it, your body will adapt

I hope you aren't front squating like that. That's basically a quarter rep. Also knees over toes is retarded.
You probably need to work on mobility before you load up too much. Try using just your pointer and middle fingers to hold the bar in place, then gradually move to using more fingers/wrapping them around the bar.
Best way to get into rowing? Is it expensive?