Can't do normal squats

thinking of substituting them with smith squats.

I had a session with a PT, as part of gym my membership, and he told me my form on squats was bad, my back arches and my legs bow.

he wants me to do machine squats until my form improves

bump

so I do machine or smith.

also what excercises can I do to improve my squat form

Did you try lowering the weight?

was doing empty bar

Did you try being less of a bitch?

I just have shitty mobility.

Then improve your form you aspie

how nigga

Do goddamned squats, you faggot. You do the things you want to do better so you get better at them. How goddamned simple can it be?

I mean did your PT not show you proper form?

Do em with a broomstick, stretch, practice, and develop body awareness

Your body wants to squat, it's a natural movement. It has no idea what a Smith machine or a leg press is

Don't listen to PTs, all they want to do is try and keep you from injuring yourself on their watch and keep taking your money. They don't know shit.

To be fair the PT is raising valid points about OP's form

Film your squats and post on here. Blur face obviously.

Also look up alan thralls how to squat video. Its 22min long skip the low bar variation of the video. Also ignore his most recent video on my ATG isnt the best, hes wrong, its the best.

Git gud

You're not going to hurt yourself squatting an empty bar even if you're an autswutch tier woman

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that one, his point about himself dive bombing and losing tightness isn't something wrong with deep squats, it's something wrong with how he deep squats. The movement itself isn't bad.

Stretch really well before. I have bad hip mobility and my form sucks if I don't do a real good 10 min stretch.

Disagree with this. I understand what you're trying to say but static stretching prior to strength work has been shown to have negative impact on performance (check Nuckols if you doubt it).

I'd say to accomplish what you're suggesting better would be to warm up with dynamic stretching via something like the limber 11 (search Joe De Franco) or something similar such as bodyweight walking lunges/squats, frog jumps, light row on ergo etc done at comfortable speed just to get body moving. Especially important if OP is a desk jockey. Just walking in and doing a couple of squats with the bar will not be enough if he sits on ass all day. Spend a good 5-10 mins, warm up properly by moving hips/knees through full ROM with just body weight will get him better ready.

Also cold stretching not only won't really limber him up, it actually can cause sprains/muscle strains so is especially bad in the morning before you've moved around

What's a good way to build up to a deep squat if I can only go paralell

Do highbar squats with an empty bar after your workout and progressively get deeper

But we haven't seen OPs form, for all we know he had a natural arch and very minor valgus and the dyel PT shit his pants.

>Do squats
>Get pins & needles in hands

You're not going to hurt yourself doing squats with just the bar, watch videos on how to squat and practice.

>did your PT not show you proper form
you cannot depend on those shits to do it. I lift at a YMCA and every time I see a PT coaching a client, it's half squats and deadlifts with lmao .5pl8 for 12 reps.
they are literally only there to design a routine for you to make nogains and develop a dependency on them.
great for profit, shit for success stories

This
The fuckers know what they're doing
They know their clients are quarter squatting, they just don't give a shit about the client actually making progress.

Why don't you learn how to squat then, you retard? I swear some of you are fucking hopeless retards.

I thought it was only me.

How do I learn to squat if my form is so bad that I can't squat without injuring myself.

> hurr durr do the very thing that you can't do

your form is bad because you do shit to change it

enjoy your no gains

Get a mobility routine and fucking STRETCH you imbicile!

Practice your form by starting with bodyweight squats (hold a wooden bar as a pretend barbell). Film yourself and actively correct the things that are wrong. Onve you can do a good squat like that, move on to the barbell, and repeat the process.

Until then do lunges, and glute bridges as a substitute for weighted squats (poor one, but it's a shit load better than nothing).

holy shit this

Get a stick or an empty barbell, watch a video of how to squat, copy it, and film yourself. Watch your video and see how you do. Rinse and repeat. Do I seriously need to explain something so simple to you?

You guys are shit.

I'm just gonna pay the $100 a session with the PT and get actual help to fix my squat

>I'm just gonna pay the $100 a session with the PT and get actual help to fix my squat
>PT fix my squat

Have fun wasting your money and probably being taught to squat like a tard. We just told you what to do. Why are you incapable of practising your form with a stick and filming yourself with your phone?

>my form was bad on my first try, better do something different LOL

Go read the pages and pages of squatting Rippetoe has written and squat and eat more you shitter. If you can't even squat the bar you need to be eating much more. SS+GOMAD is actually applicable here

How can you learn to squat if you never squat? Obviously don't just go to town on a bar loaded with your bodyweight in shorts and sandals, but there's shit you can and should do to enable you to squat with proper form. It's not just a matter of "whelp, that dream's dead," you fucking do shit to get better.
You can't lift 400lbs yet either, that doesn't mean you can't progressively work to get there, but you never will if you just go "I guess I'll take up foosball instead."

>my form is bad
>better give up lmao
Just do air squats to build up a minimum amount of strength if an empty bar is too much(although that's almost certainly not the case, you've just put in zero effort into improving your form)

Same. Bad circulation?

Sounds like a shit pt.
He should have taught you proper form instead of copping out and telling you to do leg press.

>pts
>teaching things that result in actual progress

Pick one and only one. Even the ones at my gym who can rep 3/4/5 in their sleep still give their clients bosu ball balance hocus pocus and 20 rep sets so they get tired and winded.

>it's what they want, user
>tfw you can't argue with this

Same topic more or less: If I do squats, my knees are pushed way too much forward, as I was told. Nevertheless, if I try to correct it, I feel like I'll drop backwards. Doing that "corrected" version in a Smith Machine results in shifting the whole Smith Machine backwards. So: Is shifting the knees too much forwards okay (got quite long legs), or will it result in knee injuries?

Just do box squats first

do goblet squats

would have to see a vid, but if you have long legs your knees go further forward. Think about moving the bar in the same plane and work on hip mobility if its absurd

PT's a dumbass, do freeweight squats with the bar until you get the form down and then start adding weight

I had the same problem with low bar, then I tried front squats and my form was way better.
But I'm trying to fix my mobility to get back to low bar, of course.

Work on bodyweight squats. Your form will never get better on smith machine

You didn't actually think you'd have perfect form on day 1 did you? I'm still improving my form and I've been lifting for a year or so.