Obese Runner here... ( 5'9 & 224 @ 29 yr old )

Obese Runner here... ( 5'9 & 224 @ 29 yr old ).

I am at 10:00 per mile on a three mile run. Can I do anything to realistically increase my jog pace to a run pace prior to losing more weight? My best mile time is 9:37 but that drops substantially for the next two miles ( finishing with a last pace of 12 min per mile at the 3 mark ).

....also cardio thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

livestrong.com/article/500500-negative-side-effects-of-ab-exercises/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dude, don't stress. For your weight that's a pretty good time. Just focus on getting the right amount of calories.

How long have you been running for?

Since September; started at 239 lbs. I am currently at 1900 cals / day and aiming for 100 grams protein a day.

I want to join the Army Reserves before im too old ( limit 34 ).

Just a word of advice, be carful to not jog too often while be overweight. The high impact (especially if jogging on pavement) is very hard on joints over time. I'd work in lower impact cardio to not overstress your body.

You lifting weights and stuff as well?

Thats a pretty good pace considering your weight. Increasing your pace will also increase the stress on your joints etc. I would hold off increasing your pace untill you have lost weight. Otherwise try a little interval training.

Thanks, yes I'm aiming for three times a week, rest day in between.
No but I am using two apps for pushups and situps.

and thank you for the positive responses.

You probably want to start working on pull ups too, but at 100kg you're gonna have a tough time, still do it though, or get a gym membership and start weightlifting.
No problem, bro.

this is very important, OP. if you feel the want to do more, you should see if you can try swimming - low impact, activity will help recovery from other workouts, and you train upper body muscles in general, that are neglected when running.

if you want to increase your pace, you should expose yourself to faster paces and vary your workout types. if you have a decent cardio base (~4wks consistent prior cardio training, if not get to this then proceed) try working in some intervals. they don't have to be intense, just a little faster than what you're doing now - you're running a ~10:00min/mi for 3 mi? try running 6x0.5mi (800m) at 9:00min/mi pace (so 4:30 for 0.5mi). Do this once a week and you will see improvements in your speed. Also, be sure to keep up with your own progression - don't just set the spd at 6mph because that's where you always set it. Base your pace on what's comfortable.

and if you can, get outside to run trails - the treadmill is nice during the winter, avd pavement is convenient, but you can fuck your knees always running on flat surfaces.

keep at it!

meant to post this, too

Good advice
So definitely keep running but if you get to much pain in your feet start mixing cardio that's easier on your feet like biking swimming or an elliptical machine.

Solid Copy. Thanks.

Only 3 miles and you're worrying about speed...

Start considering good running shoe's if you've not already got them. I personally like Mizunos but don't cheap out and get advice at a running shop... Paying $100 is well worth it in what is saves you in shin splints and durability. Maybe buy last years model and save a little.

The point is if you're only doing 3 miles you're gonna want to up it to 5 and after a month of that you're 3 mile times will improve. You can't just wake up and expect to be a better running. Learn how to control your breathing. Inhale slowly once every 4 steps then exhale over 4 steps. By limiting your breathing and steps you will find a way to control your average speed. You're body will force you to go slower due to lack of oxygen.

You're feet may feel fine now with whatever you're running in but you might find that a good shoe, especially at your weight, allows you to go another mile or two. Remember you're working out your muscles and not your joints. At 29 you're not getting any younger and you don't know how limiting a knee injury is until you've had your first.

Start thinking about glucosamine sulphate powders/tablets. Buy cheap and in bulk as a lot of shops will overcharge with 1/4 strength tablets.

Maybe get a watch and set a landmark every mile. You can gauge how you're doing each day and just see how starting off slow and maintaining it for 2/3s of the run will let you finish faster than sprinting the first miles and almost walking the last 2.

I'm 209lbs and 27 years old at the minute down from 236lb maxed out in November. But I've ran half marathons before 3+ years ago. I'm not running currently because I have a herniated/bulging disc. I cycle and have a concept 2 so I'm good.

Consider cycling, swimming, rowing. You might not care about them now, but after a knee injury, or similar it's stop you falling off the wagon. Most of my local pools have closed for example.

this guy has good very good advice too (especially about the shoes).

one mod to his points, though (to you too, guy)- you should inhale/exhale on an alternating pattern so that both of your lungs can develop the same volume. obviously breathe at whatever cadence is comfortable to you, but try to always breathe out for one more step than you breathed in - this will alternate which of your shoulders is in the back-swing on your inbreath, and will thus expose both lungs to maximum air volume equally frequently.

also, try runningwarehouse.com; look in clearance for great (I mean GREAT) deals on quality shoes

cool, will do!

BWG fag here, here is a simple template for rep intensity, achieving mastery means moving to more difficult variation
pro tip: don't do sit ups

I always do flutter kicks and leg raises anyway because it hurts my back less but is there any particular reason to not do situps?

He needs to do sit ups, he will have a sit up test.

you can read on livestrong.com/article/500500-negative-side-effects-of-ab-exercises/

basicly:
> According to Dr. Kravitz, if your abdominal muscles are weaker than your hip flexors, the hip flexors pull on your low back during certain exercises, causing it to arch and placing stress on your lumbar spine; this results in low back pain.
Better to do planks for abs, or hollow body holds (I do both, but I do plank only because it is for front lever progression, I'm at straight arm plank level right now).

I thought doubts are for truth, you BLASPHEMIER

ah I failed to mention, I also do manna which also targets abs