I recently got a blood test done, and while my cholesterol was pretty alright my fasting glucose was at 119mg/dl...

I recently got a blood test done, and while my cholesterol was pretty alright my fasting glucose was at 119mg/dl, which I'm told means I have prediabetes. I'm looking to alter my diet accordingly, is there anything special I'd need to focus on or do general dieting tips still apply (obviously with a higher subtraction of sugar as well)?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10856515
youtube.com/watch?v=HD5GyR2Q8J0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5GyR2Q8J0
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/expphysiol.2006.033399/abstract
care.diabetesjournals.org/content/38/10/1820
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/2/388.abstract
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Keto + IF.

What's IF?

Stop giving people bad medical advice

Dietary fat intake makes your fasting glucose worse
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10856515

Why the fuck are you asking us, nigger? Go to a nutritionist or something, don't trust random faggots on the internet for actual medical questions.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10856515
>"Inconsistencies in the data may be attributable to clustering of high intakes of dietary fat (especially animal fat) with obesity and inactivity. Metabolic studies suggest that higher-fat diets containing a higher proportion of unsaturated fat result in better measures of glucose metabolism than high-carbohydrate diet. Clearly, the area of dietary fat and glucose metabolism has yet to be fully elucidated."

Also, if you're not taking in significant glucose, your levels stay relatively constant at a basal level, and the downregulation of glucose metabolism may not be significant enough to result in hyperglycemic complications. Also, other studies have indicated that circulating fatty acids may be a culprit in decreased insulin sensitivity, suggesting that the effect may be transient (fasting would decrease circulating FAs and restore insulin sensitivity).

fasting increases FFA mobilization are you serious

Just reduce your fat intake
Don't eat stuff that says low fat or diet though because it often uses other things to replace the fat like aspartame
Eat less red meat and more vegetables
You should actually probably cut out all meat except for fish for a while
t.medfag

Cut animal products from your diet

First, go to a Registered Dietitian. Just about all insurance plans will cover a visit for this. Second, eat more vegetables, less fat, less alcohol, less meat, and exercise more. In the most simple terms, that's all you need to do.

Speak with a nutritionist for specific diet tips.
While some of the tips posted here are generally good advice, there are also some terrible suggestions by people who think they know more than they actually do.

Taking out sugar and highly processed carbs is literally all it takes m8.

Stop eating anything with the label instant, anything with bleached wheat flour and anything with tons of added sugar.

>my cholesterol was pretty alright

What was it?

youtube.com/watch?v=HD5GyR2Q8J0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5GyR2Q8J0

intermittent fasting (very recommendable)

What do you weigh? Everyone on here I going to argue and disagree about what your diet should be, but if you're overweight and pre diabetic the first thing you need to understand is that you should have weight loss in mind.

Total - 155
LDL - 97
HDL - 40
It probably could be better but I'm happy I'm well under the limit.

Fasting produces a similar degree of insulin resistance and FFA elevation as a high fat diet

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/expphysiol.2006.033399/abstract
care.diabetesjournals.org/content/38/10/1820
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/2/388.abstract

>downregulation of glucose metabolism may not be significant enough to result in hyperglycemic complications
How do you figure this, if concentrations of glucose and reactive metabolites are still abnormal (despite less pathway flux) you're still driving the same kind of damage like non-enzymatic glycation.

Also, that animal models given controlled chow and inpatient trials in humans with controlled intake show adverse effects argue against confounders. What's used to support high UFA diets, aside from one done in mice with 30% corn oil, are heteronitrogenous and outpatient/self-reported calorie intake. Not exactly reliable, especially when there's weight loss in the ones that bothered to measure it.

HDL is borderline low, how often do you exercise

Self reported dietary intake is a fucking joke I degree. What are you studying user? Or still premed/MS1/MS2?

Rarely if ever. I realize that I shouldn't have let things get this bad so I'm planning on incorporating exercise as well (the place I work at has a program where they'll compensate for a gym membership, which is nice).

228 lbs. And my blood pressure is 130/88, which isn't great either.

I'm a PhD student in a vaguely related field (biomath)

Dietetics is just a side interest

Type 1 diabetic here, 119mg/dl is within normal ranges and while a tad high for non diabetics, could suggest you ate too much sugar that morning or your liver was working overtime

Test yourself again and make sure.

Also to stop it turning worse do these in order of priority:

>Work out regularly
>Stop eating more than 30g saturated fat/day
>Stop eating processed carbs and processed foods in general if you can help it

This isn't specific to diabetics, this is common good dietary advice. Diabetes isn't caused by diet (though type 2 is affected by it) but is a factor, your first point of call should always be lifestyle.

Also get more sunlight, there's strong correlation between most types of diabetes and vitamin d deficiency.

>fat guy giving healthy diet/lifestyle advice
>raw dairy woo
>grass-fed woo

Also ignore these people, they've been reading blogs instead of studies.

your loss bro, the guy is great

>but muh beefburgersteakums
>muh low t from no red meat
>how will I ever be a man without meat???

They'll never listen. They'll stuff their faces full of that shit, 2 or 3 times a day. Then they'll come see you in 30 years and bitch that you should have done something to help them sooner.

Good luck Doc, hope you're more patient than I am.

General consensus among medical and scientific community is that a diet high in plant based foods is still the recommendation.

I think you might be cherry picking your studies, hombre.

T1D here

do a lot of cardio, eat no fast carbs, stay away from alcohol.

>General consensus among medical and scientific community is that a diet high in plant based foods is still the recommendation.
100% agreed, which is why those posts are nonsense. Keto and IF in particular have no benefit over standard diet as far as controlled diabetes is concerned. Only manageability of injected insulin is an issue, which OP isn't dealing with yet.

Your blood pressure if fine, don't let the pharma jews trick you.

Also, checked

>Diabetes isn't caused by diet (though type 2 is affected by it) but is a factor, your first point of call should always be lifestyle.
Yeah, I'm at risk for diabetes on my mom's side, my grandfather has it and my mom is well on track to getting it (having chocolate every day seems like a good way to screw up your glucose).

What about chicken? I love fish but I'm curious as to what my protein options are. Also, where do shellfish fall as far as what is and is not allowed (I live in the Midwest so it's not like I eat crab and lobster often, but I like to indulge occasionally).

The only red meat I'll really miss is steak, honestly, and if I have to cut it out to get healthy then I will.

By "fast carbs" I assume you mean shit like protein bars and whatnot. Alcohol shouldn't be a problem since I rarely drink as it is.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me, by the way.

All whole-food type of cuts can have their place in a healthy diet. It's the lunch meat, hot dog, highly processed type of shit that fails a cost/benefit analysis from a health standpoint. You can still eat beef/pork etcetera just ease down the portions some.

>all these Samefag dumbass vegans claiming meat and fat gives you diabetes
>tfw OP was probably made by a vegan just to give a venue for them to spread their lies

>Anybody who wants to know about a diabetic/prediabetic diet are just vegan shitposters
I'm not even sure what your angle is supposed to be

Nah, it's because the OP was red meat (lel) for vegans to latch on to. Not sure if OP was one of you vegtards for sure, just seems odd that there are so many posts about meat lies on it.

still a lot less volatile than carbs

What are meat lies?

Com'on OP go to a health clinic and get your a1c level check.

Did they check your a1c? No? If you're really worried that much, find out your a1c level, make some dietary changes to go along with your workout routine. Have your a1c checked every three months and stop shitting up the board.

A fasting of 127 one time doesn't mean shit just yet. Diabetic who turned to fitness to control the beetus here.

Well I am going to get proper tests done here in the coming weeks, but I figure starting a change in diet early isn't a bad idea.

>Keto and IF in particular have no benefit over standard diet as far as controlled diabetes is concerned

please stop posting forever