Bench width

So I read an """"article"""" stating that bench grip measured from index finger to index finger should be 1.5x the distance between acromial process.

Maybe I'm not measuring correctly, but that would give me a grip width of 18" which is barely wider than a close grip.

TF?

I've just been putting my ring finger on the grooves. Settle this mystery as only Veeky Forums can

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/bench-press-grip-the-magic-number
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

link to article?

t-nation.com/training/bench-press-grip-the-magic-number

To add, I just did a set at 18" my working weight and my left arm just above the elbow was on fire. I think I have to assume this article is shit at this point

Youre a moron.
18In is not barerly wider than close grip.
Especially on a midget with feminine shoulder like yourself.

>midget
>6'2"
sorry youre an armlet. maybe next life

>Be me in high school
>Started lifting seriously around junior year
>New kid in class has apparently been lifting for a long time
>Looks juicy, benches 275 for reps, is just a fucking tank
>I've decided to stop being afraid of the barbell and go to bench
>It's baby weight, not even a plate
>He tells me he prefers a wide grip because it focuses on your chest more and gives you better development
>Took his advice and never looked back
>We ended up with the highest benches out of our social group, although he still far outclassed me

The point of the story is go for a wide grip. Don't waste your time measuring shit, the barbell has two sets of grips for a reason. Grab the outer ones and bench.

>actual input
appreciated and unexpected

Im not an armlet you moron that was my point. And if you are 6'2 and have that small a frame i feel bad for you.

But wouldn't that lessen your ROM? Having a wider grip shortens the distance needed to travel from the top of the movement to your chest.

So wouldn't you have better development with a closer grip? My bench is shit, so I'm legitimately curious.

The pecs bring the humerus across the chest. A wider grip = elbows out further = more chest work.

OP, Jen Thompson, who outbenches this entire thread, recommends 2x. Go wherever's comfortable and strong, which is going to medium-wide to max legal for most people.

lesser rom, easier to fuck up your infrasupinatus, less pec contraction overall (locking out will happen before your pecs have completed max rom)

but good luck getting an extra fake 5kg on your max phaggots

The upper half of your rep with benching is more triceps than chest though so wouldn't wider just lessen that? And also don't forget to pinch your shoulder blades together to feel it more in your chest rather than your front delts.

Loooooooool solid "I read an anatomy article once" broscience my guy. For a lot people, a wider grip is much more comfortable on the shoulders.

Take the distance between both acromial processes and multiply by 1.5. how hard is that?

>2017
>not bringing a measuring tape to measure your grip width

Shibbibbilly doowop diggy diggu san okatu desu senpai

The greatest ghet is coming up.

>"I bench less than 120kg" : the post

Or you could just experiment with different grip widths to see which one you feel strongest with and gives you the most muscle development.

But that's way too rational and non-autistic a solution for Veeky Forums.

Post yfw I've hit 285 in an IPF meet nigger. At 183.

Thanks for the input. I'll try out wider grip next time and see how it feels. Should be easier to dig the scapula's into the bench that way too instead of consciously making sure they're in the right position as well

Not really. I still lower the bar to my chest and push it up. I'm getting full work everywhere but my triceps. At the end of a regular grip bench, your triceps pick up a lot of the work to fully extend your arms, so your chest's work is pretty much done. Using a wide grip takes focus off the triceps and puts it totally on your chest. As long as you're moving from the starting position to chest and back to starting position, your chest is still getting its full workout. Like I said, it was advice given to me by my idol and it's worked for us. Go for whatever grip you feels like works for you, but I'll stick with the wide grip.

You don't read so good, huh?

bench 170kg

6'1 and bench with a narrow grip because it just feels better

How about not being autistic and grabbing the bar the way you're most comfortable.

>most comfortable = best
How's planet fitness treating you

So what's the general fucking consensus?

I just measured 1.5x for me and it's well within the rings. A ridiculous amount actually. 2x the way to go?

>There's no such thing as an acromial process
>That pic very much looks like you're measuring from the coracoid process rather than the acromion.
Article sounds like shit to me. Listen to your body user, if a grip feels like it's fucking your shoulder then don't use it, no matter what te articles say.