What is the humans motivation for climbing rocks?

What is the humans motivation for climbing rocks?
Is it a specific European phenomenon or is there evidence for other cultures doing mountaineering?

Getting high on the fresh, thin air. Exercising, enjoying the view.

The view is pretty nice mate.

Many people consider Petrarchas account on his climbing of the Mount Ventoux in the provence as the starting point of the Renaissance:
>Et eunt homines mirari alta montium et ingentes fluctus maris et latissimos lapsus fluminum et oceani ambitum et gyros siderum, et relinquunt se ipsos.
>And men go about to wonder at the heights of the mountains, and the mighty waves of the sea, and the wide sweep of rivers, and the circuit of the ocean, and the revolution of the stars, but themselves they consider not.

Exploration and the betterment of humankind is the European notion of life.

>Is it a specific European phenomenon or is there evidence for other cultures doing mountaineering?
Not really. It just seems that way because of meme 19th Century Explorers.

But if you're in the business of surveying/exploration, which a lot of cultures did, you'd have to climb up one at one point.

I mean, Mt. Everest is the meme name of a mountain that has been originally named Chomulungma in Tibetan.

Interesting PoV, could you details why do you think so and your views on 20th various feats?

I am fascinated by mountaineering and just back from a hike myself, intereseting to have such discussions here

It gets you high.

>Not really
Is it just a assumption you pulled out of your ass or do you have an actual source for that?
Just because Tibetans named a mountain doesn't actually prove they climbed it.

Because it's there.

>What is the humans motivation for climbing rocks?
It's a personal achievement. There's nothing more symbolic that climbing on top of a high mountain. And it's all you - there's no (at least until recently) car, plane, helicopter, lift or whatever to get you there, you have to rely on your stamina and skills.
I like climbing mountains in my country and I've heard this question before, the truth is you either get it or you don't.

Btw K2 might be climbed for the first time during winter (yes it's a big deal). Hopefully it's gonna happen so we could close this chapter.

If you see a mountain in the distance you wanna say "Ive been to the peak"

It was the Anglo, because Britain doesn't have many mountains that take much effort to climb
Face a strange and foreign obstacle, and show how fucking manly you are overcoming it with ease

Toxic masculinity can manifest both as an irrational desire to study caves("the vagina") and the mountain("the phallus"). The root cause can be explained through trauma about having heard your parents engaging in sexual intercourse.

The question isn't if it's a European thing, the real question is why is it mostly a white thing?

The white man commonly is known for creating works that rival gods own creation, if not created then he feels the need to benevolently engage with is, as is with all angels in the heavens

I'm curious about this as well. In the United States at least, mountaineering - and pretty much all outdoorsmanship - is almost exclusively a white pastime. No doubt it's a cultural thing but what's the actual reason?

European first then Asian. And this has its reflection in history. The greatest explorers have been Europeans (or white Americans) or Asians. It doesn't just apply to mountains.

If you mean climbing shit for various reasons, of course not, are you retarded?
If you mean mountaineering in it's modern form, yeah, it's a thing that was started by rich bored euros.

OOK OOK EEK EEK ME PRIMATE NEED CLIMB NOW!