So I noticed there were several recents posts (prolly samefag tho) about squats making you shorter. Anyway...

So I noticed there were several recents posts (prolly samefag tho) about squats making you shorter. Anyway, I decided to look it up and the answer was either
some autistic rant about squats being perfect for everything
or
basically "squats have never made anyone shorter it's impossible. well, if you do them a lot you might lose an inch but they have absolutely no impact on your height" which makes no sense
And I'm just getting started here. 5"11 on a good day so you can see how losing even .5cm might be a problem. Anyway, care to share your opinion/experiences? (not talking about injuries which I know do make you shorter) no bully pls

Other urls found in this thread:

bodyrecomposition.com/training/are-upright-rows-safe-qa.html/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

desu I shitpost about squats whenever i get the chance & i'm not even ashamed of it either. dunno about making you shorter but personally i think having big legs is not manly at all plus the whole movement looks ridiculous imo.

they make you shorter, but then you finish the rep and you return to normal height

It's a pretty natural movement idk.

6'6 here. squats haven't made me shorter.

what a stupid fucking post jesus christ
you don't get shorter from squats, that's retarded

i was 6'2" when i started squatting (16), i'm 6'3" and change now so clearly it has not compressed me down

rarely is that amount of knee extension required with an actual load in nature, but that doesn't really matter

the squat has proven to be an effective exercise (although Veeky Forums and /r/fitness and rippetoe's dogmatic worship of the squat is silly - it's a great tool, but only a tool like any other exercise unless you aim to compete in PL or WL)

this is a completely personal perspective, but here it is
>be me
>one of 5 boys in senpai
>only one that dealifted and squated in highschool
>mfw i'm shortest but 1 inch than all my bro's

we're all 5'9, 5'10" but I can't help feel that squats and lower body work might have led to that....even though we know stress and exercise have a long term anabolic effect via growth hormone and bone resorption. idk man...
and literally the ONLY difference between me and my brothers is that I was the ONLY one that lifted and was fit. same diet, same everything.

Didn't this meme die like, years ago? Why are we bringing it back?

not sure if im getting memed but

squats (and other heavy weights placed on your spine) can compress the discs temporarily, resulting in a loss of height

this can be counteracted by hanging from a pullup bar with a weight between your feet or similar activities

if you dont believe me, measure yourself before and after you squat

you will be minimally, but noticeably shorter

yeah cause that's how i pick up stuff. i just put it against my neck and lift it with my ass sticking out like a instagram sloot. and boy do people mire.

weird unnoticed typos, but the idea is the same. fyi though, I still squat and Diddly, but it's just something in the back of my mind. I kind of miss that extra inch...

My wife and I are the same height. On days that I do heavy squats she can tell that I'm slightly shorter than her. But throughout the rest of the day my spine decompresses and I return to normal height.

>yes it makes you shorter
>not that much shorter
>not for long

maybe you would've been 6'4" had you not started squatting though.

nah i knew that but apparently there's anecdotal evidence of some Olympic lifters who are said/have claimed to have lost up to an inch. I'm not suggesting the average Veeky Forumsizen has shrunk by that much, but I don't understand how it can be dismissed as "retarded" when apparently it can and has happened overtime.

Squats making you shorter is bullshit, but I can't believe squats being bad for knees

They're probably the hardest complex lift with the most that can go wrong

deadlifts and squats can make you shorter no shit. you're putting hundreds of pounds on your spine, of course it's going to compress and shrink. but as long as you're done growing it won't make you shrink that much. but why does it matter? nobody is going to notice or care you shrank half an inch.

this website is so fucking autistic holy shit

You mean permanent? Temporary, yeah I agree, but I thought it was not permanent.

I'm 23, so I'm not growing anymore. I just don't want to shrink.

Yeah apparently. I'm no expert on the matter which is why I'm asking.
Kek how tall are you? Half an inch is real valuable in manlet territory. Fucking lanklets.

Well, after I hit 2/3/4 for 1 rep, I'm gonna drop down to never passing 2 plates on squat and 3 on deads. I'll just increase volume and hopefully I won't shrink.

i'm 5'7", was 5'8".

nobody gives a fuck about your height. yall are just really autistic.

>rarely is that amount of knee extension required with an actual load in nature, but that doesn't really matter
You could say that about almost every lift
There's a reason third worlders squat down to sit or shit. It's a very natural movement for the human body.

>5"11 on a good day

>third worlders
>humans
pick one. seriously though i don't think i've ever squatted irl. Whenever I have to pick something up I just grab it and lift it. It's not like anyone has ever had to lift more than 100lbs in a real life situation anyway.
i think that's kinda the point of the thread brah

third worlder here
>mfw we have the lowest incidences of inguinal hernias due to squatting to take a shit
that's why we're gonna take over you cucks in 8 more years when tramp sinks your shit

jokes on (You), I'm europoor

>implying trump isn't gonna feed you idiots to putin LUL

I started squatting like a vietnamese gambler and it's honestly pretty comfy. Also have a squatty potty.

>You could say that about almost every lift
definitely

there is nothing natural about lifting a perfectly weighted barbell with spinning collars to prevent excess torque at the wrists

this does not make it any less effective at building strength

the whole natural movement / functional movement thing is asinine

1. does it work the desired muscles
2. does it lend itself well to progressive overload

these are the things that determine if an exercise is good or not, not if some faggot does an unweighted version of it to shit in the holy river

>what are biomechanics
Weighted unnatural movements are bad for your body. Look at the upright row.

upright rows are not bad for everyone, plenty of people can do them without issue, but this doesn't stop broscience from creeping in and asserting otherwise

bodyrecomposition.com/training/are-upright-rows-safe-qa.html/

next you'll tell me leg extensions will definitely 100% explode your knees

Upright rows being shit for your rotator cuff isn't bro science. Crack a fucking book. Also, leg extensions are worthless

Squats compress your spine so yeah you'll lose 0.5" per year for the first 5 years or so you do them as your spine contracts. Then it evens out and you'll only lose height as you naturally would as you age.

If you're not currently 6'3" or taller and are concerned about manlet status squats are a bad idea. Once you fall below 6' say goodbye to any chance at a gf, success at work, friends or a loving family.

> having designated shittting street
> trying to be high and mighty

pick neither

I wouldnt be so sure. I grew a full inch from 22 to about 28. Cant remeber the exact timeline, but i know in early twenties i was 6' on a good day and by late twenties 6'1 comfortably at any time.