QTDDTOT

old one continued >How do I lose this weight?
eat less

>How do I gain muscle?
eat more and lift

>What? How do I do that? Do I need protein powder?
Read the goddamn sticky

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3l8XbiQvpuc
youtube.com/watch?v=WoHfRS2CEGg
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

c-could you please check my form, Veeky Forumssenpai

youtube.com/watch?v=3l8XbiQvpuc
Is it bad for my knees to remain locked?

Otherwise I feel I am bouncing it, I tried not to bounce it on the second rep
youtube.com/watch?v=WoHfRS2CEGg

sankyu~!

is 23 too old to start boxing?

it looks fine

Haven't you watched Million Dollar Baby?

How do you eat more?

I am 5'6" (I know) and weigh 130 but I hate eating. I force myself to drink 5 glasses a milk a day for the 500 free calories, but it's so hard to maintain a 200 cal diet never mind a 2500 one.

Slight bend, stay away from 135 you leaned to far foward and fucked up the barbell path, work up more slowly, but 115 looks fine. Locking knees is not really the greatest, but if it's how you prevent doing the work with your legs and cheating the push then I guess it's fine.

Yes. Yes I have.

Never got to finish it though, but i guess i'll change that

myfitnesspal

2000*

I want to get redpilled on Whey.
Any recommended links?

The sticky only had a small paragraph.

It's fine, but decently cooked meat tastes so much better.

Myfitnesspal is great for tracking. For eating, add calorie dense foods like peanut butter to your diet. Stay away from junk food if you can though, eating junk food regularly is fine short term, but it'll come back to bite you eventually.

I've never really went on a legit cut before. But does anyone think I can get very lean by March 6?

Anyone can, on a very strict diet and routine, lose 1.5 pounds of fat per week on a cut until around 10%bf, which is when progress will slow considerably and you'll have a hard time preserving muscle mass. So yes, you can be fairly lean by then

I've read the sticky, but was wondering how good this PPL routine is for a complete beginner?

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

Thanks in advance

Is flat barbell press really useless? I've heard it, but doesn't make sense. Why would based Rippetoe put it in his workout? Please help.

anything is better than nothing, but PPL is usually pretty mediocre for absolute beginners. GSLP is probably the best beginner routine, don't be afraid to add a few sets of accessory work though.

No, it's pretty great actually. There's a reason why it's in practically every program.

How gay is losing weight everywhere besides stomach and man tits

How the fuck can I increase my squat?

I'm still very beginner.

My 1RM with deadlifts is 224 lbs.

But my squat is only 100 lbs and that's STRUGGLING. How does this make any sense? I've been trying and trying and eating. All of my other lifts have increased but my squats.

Halp.

Thanks user

Cutting Qs:

Is intermittent fasting for cutting a meme like SS+GOMAD is for bulking?

Should you reduce volume when cutting no matter what or only if your lifts go down?

Lose more weight.

What program?

No problem. Good luck

I only got 3 free days a week. Can I do my lifting and 30 min cardio on the same days or does it really have to be on separate days? Which one goes first?

S.S.
I was a Veeky Forumsizen and went from an absolute Auschwitz of 6'5, 170 to 200 lbs. Then I had to quit due to nightshift work, school, etc.

Finally done with it all and restarting from square one again.

You can do cardio on the same day you lift, but you should lift first for best performance.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about it. The squat is a more technical lift than the DL, so as you keep doing the movement, it should eventually improve and catch up. If you post a video to form check, I'd be able to tell you if it's a form problem.

I am just hate that it comes off everywhere else first. Shit sucks. Makes my arms look better though

You could, but endurance training drives cell mitobiogenesis in the muscle, which has been shown to disrupt protein synthesis in the same muscle. It probably doesn't make a huge difference, but it is less than ideal. Best way is to endurance train a different muscle group than what was resistance trained (for example, endurance train lower body after resistance training upper body).

I could dig up the paper that this information is from if you really need it, but I'd rather not.

How am I supposed to do 320 lifts for all the 320 pairs of muscles in my body? I will be exhausted

Okie-dokie! will deload and work my way up from there.

My best friend's a chubby poorfag lesbian that wants to slim down to get gf. Sticky says it's all the same so I'm putting her on C25k for cardio, El Diablo's Bodyweight 666 for strength, and some isolation exercises for the butt. Along with proper macros and an iron supp of course.

Anything else needed to make ugly-ish girl into pretty girl?

this is an SS question:

how do you know if you have a good bar speed on your lifts? the way i understand it, if your bar speed is consistent for the first 13 or 14 reps of your 3x5 worksets you're progressing properly, and if youre slowing down earlier you've probably got a deload coming up. is that right? is there anything you guys wish you understood about bar speed sooner? any noob misunderstandings i should be aware of? ty

Thanks dude, I try not to let it discourage me.
Back when I was lifting, I was only ever able to squat whatever weight I could OHP because I didn't have a squat bar. I think this is another key factor in why it's lagging. Just realized it.

I've had two people and my wife say my form looked good. But yeah, I'll get a video up here soon for critique. I'm off the next two days, though. Hopefully I'll see improvement afterwards.

Anyways, thanks!

Alright. Since it's a full body workout I'll try to find the time to separate them. Maybe by getting up really early or something. Thanks anons

Is it good to go that far back?looks like your arms could rip off if it goes any further back. I have know idea on proper form just curious

I need a answer now I have a minimally bulged disc in lower back and my femur and inward so my knees and in when my feet are straight bow long can this last until it heals

Oh! No no, I would OHP whatever I could then just bow my head a little and have it resting on my shoulders. Grab a broom or something and try it, it's not too hard.

But back then it was with just 80 lbs.

Bar speed doesn't really matter, as long as you're getting the weight up in my opinion. Bar speed is a decent way to assess RPE, but SS doesn't incorporate any autoregulation anyways, so don't worry about it.

If you feel up for it, program in assistance work to strengthen the weak points that are apparent when bar speed struggles.

No one here can give you an accurate answer. See a doc.

Sounds like a bad time

It was, I really wanted to get Veeky Forums but lived at home (this was in high school and part of college) and couldn't afford a gym membership. So I scrapped together $150, bought the bench set from Wally World and improvised everything else.
But hey, that damn kit got me 30 lbs in lean muscle mass and took me from a bench of 60 lbs to 125 lbs (all the weights I owned).
As miserable as it was, I miss those times. The fucking balls cold workouts in the garage. Being obsessed with Zyzz's videos (he was still alive then).

Different times but I'm glad to be where I am now.

I have they gave very vague answers. I'm in pt and they say it can heal from months to years.

If I want to build my lower pecs more should I do a high range of weightless dips or weighted dips?

If my tris are a little sore from doing rear delt flyes on the machine am I doing them wrong

Probably

Do both. Do volume dips one day of the week, weighted dips on another.

I also don't think you need anything other than a lot of benching to build the pecs, but I'm also completely unable to do dips of any sort due to injury.

I finally found a job (well intership) and with college i have absolutely no time to go to the gym anymore except for the weekends
will i lose my gains if i only train twice per week?

Are hang cleans done on a push or pull day?

pull

Bodyfat % estimate? I know I'm still fat I'm down from 205 in March.

5'11" 175 as of yesterday.

thought so thanks

Squats have been hurting my rotator cuffs recently. I've tried spinning my arms around to stretch and seemed to somewhat help, but Patton came back the next time.

Anyone else have this issue?

I hurt my lower back about 6 months ago. Now whenever I go squat or deadlift the next day, the same spot on my lower back hurts pretty bad.

Is there a routine that bypasses squats/deadlift for something that doesn't put so much pressure on your back?

Btw
> 21 yr old, 5'10, 190 lbs
> lifting for about a year, 5x5 ss, took 6 months off due to back injury want to start lifting again

you are fat, you shouldn't be worried about %, just lose weight.

buy calipers if you really want to know

I've been trying to find the fastest avenue to 10% and I can't seem to find good middle ground. The reason I've lagged so much is partially due to laziness but also due to difficulty with a bad plateau in the summer.

I was eating at 1600 cal back in june and hit about 180 and weight loss seriously slowed. So I decided to further decrease to 1500 and saw no improvement in 2 weeks, I was losing less than a pound per week, or worse, none at all. I got super desperate and went 1200 a day for 2 weeks and once again saw no change in my weight. I got really angry at that point and that's when I fell off the wagon for a while.

I really want to lose this fat, but I don't want to get into a situation like before where it just stops suddenly. So far I'm losing at a steady pound per week, but losing 25 pounds at this rate will take half a year. Surely there's a slightly faster way, right? Those fatties doesn't lose 100 lbs in a year but doing it 1 lb at a time.

Are you doing any kind of exercise as well as dieting?

Two questions Veeky Forums:

I just lifted for the first time in a year today. I used to be really into lifting and shredded but now I look like shit. How can I prevent leg DOMS before tomorrow? I have a feeling I'll be unable to walk because my legs are already starting to feel fucked.

Are 3x12 programs stupid for returning lifters? Someone in this thread posted GSLP, and it looks good. Should I try it?

oh yeah, I lift 3x a week (currently 2 months into SS for noob gains) and just started C25k on my off days.

Before making any changes to my diet I'm gonna see what C25k does to my weight for 2-3 weeks. I would love to be burning 1.5 lbs a week if possible, but I also don't want to fuck my metabolism up.

Current lifts are:
Squat 205 lb 3x5
Diddly 240 lb 1x5
Bench Press 105 lb 3x5
OHP 85 lb 3x5 (failing on last set)
Power cleans 110 lb 5x3
Chin ups (negatives)

>How can I prevent leg DOMS before tomorrow?
You pray. DOMS is a reaction by your nerves, not your actual muscles.

>Are 3x12 programs stupid for returning lifters?
All depends on the muscle you retained. I'd just do some basic stuff for your first time back. Do some lightweight stuff and see where you end up.

>Like an idiot I never bothered with rows.
>Done deadlifts and chinups/pullups at least

Is there a way to tell how severe my back/front imbalance is? Like an expected ratio between bench and row, or measurement ratios?

Do I just add rows and keep trucking or do I need to start weak point training of sorts to play catchup?

What is a good row that doesn't kill my lower back and is actually fun to progress in?

Does the temperature of my post workout shower/bath matter? I workout at home so it's usually straight away.

Find the time.
Do what it takes.
Its okay if it is lower priority than work and school, but find the time if it's still a priority for you.

Mental and physical health is important for school, work, and life.

You don't have a lot of muscle mass, so 10% for you will take a lot of effort. If you put on 10kg of muscle right now this moment your bf% would be at 10% probably.

Remember that its not a stand alone number. It's directly related to your total body weight so the more you can dilute it, the better.

what is better for deadlifts straps or mixed grip?

what if there is a conspiracy to promote dyeldom and high protein consumption? it would explain the SS circlejerk and the irrational fear of "overtraining". All the guys who look good that I know don't care about "strength" and "overtraining".

Mix if you're new, straps if you're pulling a ton.

Best to avoid both though. At best you increase your weight for a while. At worst you tear a biceps, create bad lifting patterns or don't progress your grip at all.

No.

It's just idiots who can't tell the difference between different lifting philosophies or methods. Mostly newbies, but also seasoned people who for some reason can't comprehend that people have different goals or mindsets.

I see but do you think given enough work the body would adapt to any workout? My dad and older guys I know have huge muscle without stepping one foot in a gym, all thanks to manual labour, why?

Are protein bars and muscle milk a meme? I mean I get that they are beneficial bc of the amount of brotein, but should they be used regularly to meet your daily intake requirements?

Because they use the muscles moderately and eat well.

Never met an untrained manual labour guy, who looked/was strong and also didn't have a lot of excess fat.

It's the swimmers body illusion.

I live in a 3rd world shit hole and the shoe guys have no idea wtf are weightlifting shoes
what do I look for when buying a pair for my squats

Muscle milk is absolutely a meme, but protein bars can come in handy here and there. Neither should be a regular part of your diet, you should try to reach your goals without them.

Just squats or squats, deadlift and so on?

You want flat soles, but if it's only for squats you probably one same with solid soles and raised heel.

I hear Nike has a line of shoes but I can't remember what they're called.

My gf bought me a pair of inov8 shoes that at I'm surprisingly happy with. They're good all round shoes even though they're technically made for Crossfit.

I secretly think they just rebranded existing an existing shoe design to sell them to Crossfags though.

Losing a double chin, is it just diet? I'm a little bit above my weight and eat a little too much crap so should I just omit/add something from my diet or is there some weird little trick I should do regularly?

cheers fellas

Eat less calories. Double chin is made from fat, not muscle or mucus.

Reduce overall fat and double chin will go away too. Probably first since it's one of t past places we pack on fat.

I really think you need to look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. It's not just the double chin that needs to go.

Good luck :)

Read the sticky

Noob here, if I can is it alright to lift two/three days in a row? How will it affect my gains?

The last places*

I had a feeling about muscle milk thanks for confirming.
Talking about food, anyone have any suggestions for meals? I want to plan my meals to better handle reaching my cal/brotein needs.
Weight: 185 Height: 5'7
Cal: 1800-2100
Bro: 180g
As of now for breakfast Im eating a 1.5 cups of yogurt (1 cup plain, .5 flavor), .5cup of oats, and a 1 cup of mixed berries. Will that much dairy give me tits or the shits?im not lactose yada yada but just asking.

For lunch I have no set meal in mind, suggestions welcome.
I work at a Thai restaurant so lucky me I get free meal
>chicken, veggies, brown rice.
Maybe the only downside is not controlling how little grease/oil is used.

What are these for?

Go ahead, it'll only be a problem if you do it over a longer period, and it's the same muscles every day.

Either if you alternate the body parts hit, or if you have a full body scheme where you alternate heavy and light weights you can do it for a long time and probably see gains on level with others.

Just remember the gym is the 20%. The other 80% is how you eat and sleep.

they slot under the stepping board you see leaning against the wall behind that stack

so you can stack the stepping board up as high as you need (smith machine calf raises etc)

Neat, thanks user

calorie tracker says to aim for 1700 cals to lose 1lb/wk

is it ok to just stick with 1200-1400 every day, i'm 6'1 and like 110kg so still massive with a 2400 bmr

so I gym was closed last monday and I skipped that workout, now should I do it today even if I already did one or do it Monday and continue like this?

Don't do larger than a 1000 calorie deficit

Just do it today mate. Unless you're about to peak in a progressive overload program there's no harm in two gym sessions close to each other.

Might even give you some insight into why you try to keep breaks to recover. Just remember to listen to your body

it ultimately doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're not drinking soda, limiting sugar and alcohol intake, and meeting your calorie and macro goals.

Hi lads
I am recovering from anorexia. The medical state of anorexia is a BMI below 17.5.
I've been trying to get above that as my first goal. I've been gaining VERY slowly for the last 2 months (I gained 4.4 lbs in that time, 2lbs was the week of Christmas). I upped my calorie intake this week to 3000 per day (which I assumed would be fine, it was 2700 before). Somehow I have managed to gain 3.5lbs this week.
I was going to 'treat' myself once I broke the 17.5 BMI barrier which I have officially done as of this morning (5'11/6'0ish 126.75lbs). However I feel I have had too much food and feel bad.

FYI my daily food intake on friday, pretty similar to the whole week

Breakfast: 50g Oats with 100ml whole milk, matcha powder, cinnamon and a diet soup sachet mixed in
300 calories

Second Breakfast: 50g Cornflakes with matcha powder sprinkled over
200 calories total 500

Third Breakfast: 150g dry weight Spiced Lentils topped with orange pieces
600 calories total 1100

Lunch: Baked Sweet Potato with 2 tins of tuna (I shape the tuna into a sweet potato shape and pretend that it is a grey alien sweet potato, listen to x files theme, helps me eat with a full stomach)
500 calories total 1600

Mid Afternoon: 30g of Walnuts, 30g of Cashews, 30g of Peanuts
600 calories total 2200

Dinner: 150g dry weight spiced lentils with 3 eggs
800 calories total 2800

I figure that is about 171g of protein. Is there something there that makes me gain more weight?
My parents are very obese and claim they are fat because 'they eat nuts every day, nuts are the seeds fat animals lay so they hatch inside you and make us fat'. I don't believe that but am I missing something?

Is there something there that makes me gain more weight?

Yes Eat more.

Why the fuck are you trying to gain weight on Oats Lentils and Potatoes

Just fucking shovel burgers into your face 3x a day holy fuck its not that hard. You're literally bulking on the same food people eat on a deficit to remain satiated. fucking retard

I bench 80kg, is there any benefit or reason for me to do pressups at home?

In general, are bodyweight exercises going to do much for anyone who's at around 1/2/3/4?

Trying to decide whether I'm being lazy by not doing them or whether it's fairly acceptable/efficient not to.

is increasing difficulty on bodyweight exercises like push and pull ups by adding weight(maybe in a bag or something) a good idea? eg will i see results or will it fuck me up in a way of which i didnt even know was possible

Are you extremely tall and/or extremely athletic? I'm finding it hard to understand how you're eating a third more than my TDEE and not gaining weight unless you're doing marathons or something.

For reference, I'm 5'8 and 82kg, lifting 3 times a week and I'm gaining weight while eating 2300kcal/day

Also
>and a diet soup sachet mixed in
Seems counter intuitive.

You're also eating very little meat compared to the rest of your diet. Add in some red and white meats and peanut butter and you'll bump your calories up a bunch.

Why would increasing the weight be anything but good?
Chains, backpacks and ropes are my go-to but most bodyweight exercises (including push-ups and pull ups) can both be made much harder through simple position- vertical push ups for example.

>Just started lifting 3-4 months ago...
>Start getting back pain.
>Go to doctor
>You have hamstring shortening, you must do physical therapy and lay off ALL LEG AND LOWER BACK WORK FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS

shit i dont want to go t rex but what choice do i have ill just keep working out what i can

Intermittent fasting is great for appetite control: just keep a consistent schedule and you will adapt to it and not feel hungry during the fast. It also saves time and simplifies your routine.

Any magical benefits beyond this are questionable.

thanks
i was just worried that if i did push ups with something like 10kg on my back that it could fuck up my spine or something like that. am big fitness noob but what i learned is that there is always a way to hurt urself so i was just wondering

What do you guys do after you reached your desired weight for the cut?

Eat at a maintenance?

Increase calories per day, week etc..?

Insta bulk?

I just finished my cut and kinda confused breh

I saw a GP and was referred to a physio after problems with walking (later turned out to be blood pressure). GP immediately said "stop squatting so much"

Learn a healthy skeptical approach to Dr advice. Listen to what the Physio has to say.

Also worry about your form first and foremost. As for hamstrings- do the runner stretch where you put your foot to your ass and pull it in with your hand. If you feel pain/tension your hamstrings need work

Depends entirely on your goals and why you cut in the first place. Why the hell would anyone else be able to answer this for you?

Why I cut in the first place? To lose fat lmao

really you think i should outright go against the wishes of a licensed physician from the best university in my country? i dont want to sound ironic i just want to know if this could be a thing in any scenario

>really you think i should outright go against the wishes of a licensed physician from the best university in my country?
No, I said be skeptical.

> i just want to know if this could be a thing in any scenario
wat