en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do
youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0
youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I
youtu.be/eqtkU8r8upU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rex Kwon Do

None
Brazilian jujitsu beats both

Oh look, it's the BJJ fag again. Okay dude cool we get it, you watch UFC and think that Joe Rogan is the shit, while you get high off his podcasts and daydream about getting into street fights so you can show off you're 3 lessons of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Cool dude cool.

Tbh wrestle and box or do one or the other but if there's a wrestling club or some sort of bjj club you'd be better off with that since most dudes don't know what they're doing when it comes to fighting on the ground

I'm only saying that because I've done both of those and enjoyed doing them more than the karate I took when I was a lad

Karate if you want to
>be a performer
>break bones the way only a jackass can
>practice a ridiculous martial art

Taekwondo if you want to
>be a performer
>literally kick the shit out of people
>be flexible as fuark (no homo)
>looks like a dumbass in a streetfight until you kick their jawbone off

Have you seen all the fucking videos in youtube of karate and taek fags get fucking destroyed by bjj and shaolin martial arts?

BOW TO YOUR SENSAI!

No

Shorinji Kenpo

Muay thai for practicality

Kyokushin karate is pretty decent.
youtube.com/watch?v=3wOIzDxzwcI

TKD is for literal faggots

as a man who comes from tkd, it is in my very biased opinion that either is fine, they both have strengths and weaknesses. [spoiler]tkd is better though.[/spoiler] you should also consider adding in a grappling art after you get used to the striking art to balance your style out.

Don't forget rusty knees at age 30

Also, I don't find that TKD guys are all that flexible.

Hahaha. Neither.
Go mui thai. If that's how to spell it.

Neither you fucking autist. Do boxing, kickboxing or muay thai and bjj or wrestling.

Karate is a meme, taekwondo is an even bigger meme.

theyre both good places to leave your children for a couple of hours

Taekwondo is a bullshit sport that has zero real world application, as a display and Olympic sport it is appealing but you could not do shit with it in a real world situation given 99/100 environments you will be fighting in.

t. 12 years of muay thai + boxing, you're a fucking idiot if you think any seasoned fighter will tell you otherwise.

Judo desu senpai

Or BJJ

Better cardio, more practical, more fun to compete in

Tell that to Wonderboy, Machida, GSP, and McGregor.

You should let these top tier fighters know that they should stop practicing memes. That you, some random cheeto fingered cunt, has a sub-casual knowledge on these martial arts, yet still feels qualified to give an opinion.
Never mind their mastery of distance control and kicking. Take this guys advice.

Recommending a martial art that you can't even spell? Oy

Why listen to a live punching bag about real life application of martial arts?

It's about more than hitting people or defending yourself. And people like you don't understand it because you think it's only "martial", the art aspect is so far out of your league I don't understand why you're compelled to respond.

It's about tradition, it's about form. It's about perfecting techniques that are old, until you reach the point where you can build on a century of development and take it a step further.

And then imparting that knowledge to the next generation and watch them take the same journey.

But yeah, whatever punchy. Keep at it I guess.

Boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu are the most practical.

I did Karate as a kid, it's the ultimate jew. Like they'll try to waste as much of your time and money as possible before they actually teach you useful tactics because you're not at the right belt yet or whatever the fuck. You'll spend weeks doing the stupidest shit.

Just learn how to dodge punches, take people down, and defend yourself on the ground. Boxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu. I know jiu jitsu uses belts but at least they teach you useful shit immediately.

>It's about tradition, it's about form. It's about perfecting techniques that are old, until you reach the point where you can build on a century of development and take it a step further.
>And then imparting that knowledge to the next generation and watch them take the same journey.

Nigga, if youre training anywhere but Korea then I'm sad to say you are in a mcdojo where knowledge is being kept from you to make you pay more

>It's about tradition, it's about form. It's about perfecting techniques that are old, until you reach the point where you can build on a century of development and take it a step further.

also this literally applies to all martial arts, especially Muay thai, its not about bashing TKD, its about wasting your time on it because there are BETTER alternatives

You still have no idea what you're talking about.

Half of Taekwondo is doing stretches.

youtube.com/watch?v=nwtM7ZArGxU

good argument bro, whatever helps you feel better about those wasted years in TKD

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekkyeon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapkido
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do

If you're gonna learn any Korean martial art, learn the above but please do not learn TKD. TKD is a fucking meme.

Holy fucking shit finally someone who doesn't live in a martial arts animu world lol
Only thing else I would've added is Muay Thai or Kickboxing, to other than that, that's the best comment I've seen here so far.

>Answers a fucking meme with another meme

Life isn't a Samurai animu you know..

Kyokushin or boxing

Real talk here bros.

Karate and TKD are both memes, unless you really really spend both time and resources to actually reach out on both Martial Art's sources, you really are wasting your time, even if you spend 10 years studying TKD/Karate in the states, you will always remain a meme, because of business, you are not a student to their senseis, they are not your senpai, they dont see you as a 'successor to this graceful martial arts', they are teaching for money, believe it or not.

So if you really want to pursue TKD or Karate, I would suggest going to Korea and actually learn from people who do it not for the money, but for the art, if you want a more technical TKD, go for Korean military, they basically teach TKD without the bullshit unneeded spins and shouting. if you want Karate, go to japan, go to the provincial area where students basically live in the dojo FOR years.

If its an american teaching both Karate or TKD, its always a good chance thats its a mcdojo, sure they will claim they trained in korea or in japan, but thats basically sales talk.

Dont get me wrong, this also applies to both Muay Thai and Boxing, but the difference is there is less bullshit, sure they are making money out of you, but both of these two martial arts, at its core is just teaching you proper form and how to punch, kick, knee and elbow. thats literally it, the business side is less because thats literally what these two martial arts are.

so the mian difference between TKD/Karate and Boxing/Muay Thai is both will have you wasting your time on endless repetitions, doing the same thing over and over again, transition to sparring and actual fights, but with TKD/Karate, alot of time is wasted teaching you spinning kicks, breaking glued boards, blocking stupidly, and screaming HIYAH!, while in Boxing and Muay Thai the repetitions are actual moves that will help you in an actual combat situation

The point is not everyone is starting martial arts to crush people in epic streetfights. Some just want to have fun and meet new people.
Not that I would expect a BJJ practitioner to know what fun is, considering how angry you guys seem to be online all the time.

Shotokan and Taekwondo are very similar. Take introduction classes for both at your local gyms and then decide.

The different Karate styles can vary greatly, so keep that in mind. Kyokushin is the only one where full contact sparring is contact as far as I know.

Either way, try out first, then sign up. It sucks when you sign a 12 month contract just to realize after the first session that you don't like it or that the people there are as bitter and cynical as BJJ practitioners.

>this also applies to both Muay Thai and Boxing, but the difference is there is less bullshit
Maybe, but the difference is marginal in my experience. I've been to as many boxercise gyms as I've been to McDojos. Maybe that's just my area though.

What you could also add to your post is that the rate of injury skyrockets once you start full contact sparring. Some people can't afford to break a toe when their front kick lands on their partners elbow, or a fractured leg when their low kick gets checked. Or when showing up with a black eye can already get you fired.

You can meet ppl and make friends while learning something that may end up saving you, your friend, or your family, instead of going out of your own way to learn something that will give you the illusion that you know how to defend yourself or you're good at sport fighting, but in reality you're just paying $100+ to play pretend animu..

even if its a boxercise gym, if it has you throwing punches in a repetetive motion then its okay, even if you wont learn anything, you will still suconsciously learn how to throw a punch properly without losing balance.

the real difference is, a boxercise gym has you doing repetitive moves that you could actually apply in real life scenarios while a mcdojo has you doing repetitive moves that you will never ever use outside

>living in a third wold shithole where people try to rob you on your way to the grocery store
Literally 99% of "streetfight" videos online are people being idiots and escalating situations for no reason.

There is no real world application of martial arts anymore. At least not in any safe first world country. The
>I'll teach you this deadly martial art so you may never use it
meme is real. I'd even go so far as to say the chances of getting into a fight are even lower for martial artists, because they know what a stupid thing it is to do and avoid it at any cost.
So you're putting your body through hell for years for literally no other reason than personal interest and fun. And you can get the latter with Taekwondo and Karate as well. Your argument breaks down to "you like something I don't like."

True, i would add kickboxing and muay thai for striking, and wrestling for grappling, everything else you said is spot on

Don't get memed into any of those azn "martial arts"
They are just glorified ballet.
Do Krav Maga or self defense courses or something

>Unironically calling Asian martial arts "glorified ballet"
>Unironically suggesting Krav maga
Lol. You don't know shit about martial arts. Go back to /pol/ you faggot.

You guys are so autistic. For me all of those are about sport, not about kicking ass in a street fight. I guess basketball sucks also because you will get your ass kicked in a street fight..

If you are good in taekwondo, it means you end up being explosive, flexible, athletic and so on. It means you become an athlete. Same with every other sport. Why does it matter if you can kick someone's jaw off? Who thinks about stuff like that really?

If you want to be good at street fights become a sprinter. Everything else is just an edgy teenager fantasy

Daily remainder that judo is the superior form of jiu jitsu and that the brazilian school is a fagged up version of judo.

Karate

>it means you end up being explosive, flexible, athletic and so on

no just flexible. you only end up being explosive with kicks, not anywhere else

>rusty knees

wot

stretching and flexibility training is recommended daily by doctors user

Wrong, almost in every physical sport you train jumps, moving, do sprints and so on. You have to move fast in taekwondo and karate. You have to have good reflexes, fast hips and good coordination. It's not enough to beat someone who has a fantasy of breaking jaws in a cage, but you're athletic enough to beat everyone in your sport because you have better athletic abilities (not just fighting).

Are you saying sprinters aren't explosive because they don't do kicboxing or something like that? If you do, you don't understand sports and where the speed comes from.

are you seriously comparing sprinters to TKD? lmao, one is literally explosive, while the other thinks that he is because hes screaming HAAAYAAA!

The karate you are referring to is done at McDojo's

That self confidence building board breaking and smashing bricks are things done at borderline day cares in emulation of actual Karate Dojo exhibitions. Karate can be a destructive martial art in practice taught by actual practitioners and not a guy with a Red master Belt that works out of a strip mall.

Here's a rule of thumb to rule out any place as a poor place to do martial arts

Do they spar?
>No
Don't waste your money.

I wish I had some wonderboy webm's but mcgoobs will have to do. He has some karate background, along with other martial arts.

Both need fast hips. If you have slow hips you suck at sprinting. If you have slow hips you suck at kicks. If you have slow hips you suck at every physical sport.

I have watched so many different sport practices and they all have one thing in common: developing athletes. Jumps, moving, coordination and so on with a focus on their main sport.

Not respecting different kind of sports and athletes just means that you have that edgy teenager fantasy of breaking jaws instead of everything else

>you have that edgy teenager fantasy of breaking jaws instead of everything else

is this really what you are clinging to to justify training in TKD? you can have the same benefits with Kick Boxing or Muay Thai, possibly even more, so why are you cucking yourself with TKD? is it because of the belts user? belts make you a big boy now?

Why not both?

I don't really care about any martial arts, they are not my thing. I just find it ridiculous how some people have the need to find a sport / martial art that is THE BEST and beats all others.. You guys aren't athletes, you are just edgy teenagers.

>the real difference is, a boxercise gym has you doing repetitive moves that you could actually apply in real life scenarios

Except when your target begins to move and you wiff every punch and get fucked up by someone who has actually been in a fight before.

Punching a punching bag teaches you how to punch a punching bag. That's it.

we are not even saying that Boxing/MMA is the best we are just saying the truth that TKD is a meme

But i want to add that it's different if you love fighting and want to end up in UFC or something like that (compete against other arts). But if you just want to compete in your own martial art, it should not matter what you end up with. Basketball players don't compete against football players and so on.

If it's a meme then why is it in the olympic games? You really don't get sports m8.

>Inb4 why chess is in the olympics

my god user

Are you training for Olympic TKD? is OP? Do you think OP will find an olympic level school? Do you think he will ever train like an olympian? do you think hell quit his job and go for it 24/7?

Jesus fucking christ dont be fucking stupid

Thats not really true.

TKD specializes in kicks. So out of all the kicks you learn are all of them going to be useless? Are you going to be effective or more effective than other martial arts at doing so?

Those are better standards to hold it to especially in learning more than one martial arts. Not is it the best, but what is it best at.

At the very least you can take the fundamentals learned from that and apply it to other martial arts like kick boxing and muay thai to be more well rounded.

Nice argument m8. Go ahead and tell us about the time you beat up that bully because you learned to throw punches in the air with 30 minutes of Tae Bo classes a day.

No, you're the one being stupid here.

My point is that it's autistic to choose a sport based on it's superiority or wanting to break jaws better than others. To put it short
>Pick a sport
> Stay with it
>Do your best

B-but football players don't know how to use their hands! They suck compared to basketball players, why would anyone want to play football!

reminder to never fall for the chi jew

youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0
youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

No user you are the one missing the point entirely.

OP is asking about choosing TKD or Karate, and none of those is good as just a hobby, and that there are better alternatives for it.

We are suggesting BETTER ALTERNATIVES, not arguing which is the better sport

>Pick a sport
>stay with it
>Do your best

This is what were telling OP user, if he does all that for 8 months on TKD versus on a superior martial art, the latter would definitely be a better choice

its about which martial arts would oyu waste time less

Why they would be worse than other sports? How can you literally say stupid shit like that. I would agree if your point was that TKD is not good because you can end up with brain damage or it has high injury levels.

Best option would be to try both and choose the one you like more, and then stay committed. Its kinda stupid to argue which sport is the best, because most people end up loving their own sport after getting better at it.

Taekwondo vs street fighter
youtu.be/eqtkU8r8upU

All these fat lards who call it a meme are losers who sperg out "ur never gonna use it lmao"

Pls stop this autistic shit. You don't train TKD to be a good street fighter. Anyone with brains will try to run away from it or avoid that shit. Even if you were the best MMA fighter in the world, your career can end with a knife behind your back.

You don't compare sport against other sport, unless you do something like UFC. If you put basketball players against football players, they play with either the rules of basketball or football.

t. Autistic "street fighter" who got BTFO by some tkd trainee

Do you have a brain damage?

You don't have one at all.

It worked, but you should generally never be throwing kicks in a street fight.

TKD's applications work much better in the frame of MMA and thats only one part of it.

Baited, hook, line, and sinker

Well argue against me.

I don't have you. Watch the video, your "WAAH TAEKWONDO IS USELESS" memes lose in front of reality.

to*

So you do have a brain damage. Where did i say that it is useless? Did you even try to understand my point To help you: my point is that you do TKD to be good in TKD, you do boxing to be good at boxing, you do football do be good at football.

What happens in street fights concerns only edgy teenagers. They have no rules, they're just animals. If i wanted to be one of them, i probably would learn street fighting. But i'd rather learn football or something else.

>strret fighter loses fight to tkd guy
>"I'd learn street fighting"
Yet you call retarded? Lol

If i show you a video where a shooter kills TKD artist, will you learn shooting?

You are retarded. Pease proceed to kill yourself.

why not wing chun?
best martial arts ever can't be defeated
fight mike tyson and not get ears bitten off

the whole
>muh street fights
argument in martial arts is literally the same thing as the
>muh functional strength
argument in weightlifting

nobody irl gives a shit how much you can lift because youre never going to lift more than a bag of groceries
nobody irl gives a shit how hard you spar because youre never going to get in a fight

how the fuck is a fucking 8 year old a red belt

>shaolin martial arts

*teleports behind you*

None really.

Listen to me well; all martial arts are best at what they have been made to do.

Karate used to be good, but have been tamed and toned down from the originally developed martial art, so they can hold tournaments without dead and crippled people

Taekwondo have been developed so the unarmed thai peasants would have something against armed warriors. One of the kicks have been especially developed to kick down a horseman from his ride. It is good if your opponent is an armed and armored fighter, but it wasn't made to be good in one-on-one fistfights.

Kyokushin is also an interesting story; It's been made and developed by Masutatsu Oyama in the sixties. He loved to fight and fighting others. He have created this style so people can spar each other. It is very good as a continuous sport, and exercise, as it's fundamental principle is self-development, but as fight, it is most useful for another Kyokushin, or karate user. Wasn't really made against multiple opponents, or styles that come very close like Wing Chun and boxing.

Now Jujitsu is a funny story. I don't know about the brazilian variety, but the original Japanese one have been developed so when warriors on the battlefield lose their weapon somehow, they won't remain defenseless.
It was developed so the warrior can move in his bulky armor, defend himself from an armed opponent, and ideally, take his weapon. It might be still useful if you are in the armed forces, and you run out of options, but not for prolonged fistfights.

This is why boxers are still very useful, because they are generally used for the thing it's been developed for, and martial artists get sometimes btfo-d, because they think they become übermensch, and forget their style is specialized in something

i went to karate for 2 years as a kid because my brother is black belt. never gotten in a street fight but i feel like i could win most street fights easily because i kind of understanding fighting techniques and i can hit/move well. am i delusional or does actually having some training as a kid help?

It's paying attention to the right things that help,
If you learned how to balance yourself both during attack and evasion, and know how to time things, you got a good advantage.

So yes, training (either as adult, or kid) can add a lot.
Just never think you are automatically in a winning position, or that it's over after one hit.

>implying that Mcgregors striking is due to karate rather than the years he spent failing to make it as a boxer.

Literally not one of the things you said is true.

>I've never been in a fight and my style is not conducive to real fighting so I have a false sense of security that allows me to believe I could beat anyone

Go to a kickboxing gym and be ready to get humbled

whichever one is most useful in a street fight even though I never got in a street fight in my life and never plan on doing so
I still entertain the idea of practicing martial arts to get into street fights because I'm literally a child in a man's body
just do MMA it's the king because hurp durp muh street fight hurr durr durr

Muay Thai

Wow, your sound reasoning have definitely convinced everyone.

For a street fight both are bad, though a karate expert is probably more useful than a TKD expert in a street fight because karate is a lot more brutal.
Both are cool and fun as sport martial arts though. I have a second degree black belt in Kenpo karate (still would never dream of using it in a real life fight and don't think it makes me tough) and sparring has become a lot of fun with people of a commensurate level. Locally there are some mixed competitions and besides karate the most popular martial arts to see are TKD and Kung-Fu. The Kung-fu kids are bad, and can't really fight anybody who doesn't do Kung-fu effectively. The TKD versus karate fights are good though, the kicks in TKD are crazy.
I think karate is a bit better for conditioning, but TKD is great for flexibility.

>that one muay thai fag in every thread
nigga I practice it, and I don't come in to every single martial arts thread virtue signaling, you're not answering OPs question

>that video proving anything
If you fight a skinny 13yo with no idea of how to throw a punch any fucking martial art is going to work

This

Judo is the superior martial art. None other gives you the control of your opponent that judo does. Due to this it is highly applicable to real life situation(although running away should always be your first choice), as you stand a low risk of accidentally injuring or killing your opponent while still being able to immobilize them.

>Listen to me well
No one please do, because this guy is full of shit.

>Karate used to be good
It never was. Karate was always a hobby practiced by the elite and never a functional way of self defense.
Try to trace down the Okinawa farmers who supposedly developed it to defend themselves against armed Japanese oppressors. They don't exists. The historian Hobsbawn wrote extensively on the invented traditions of Japanese martial arts.

>Taekwondo have been developed so the unarmed thai peasants would have something against armed warriors.
See above. Taekwondo is the adapted Korean name for Karate that was brought to Korea during the wars.

>it is most useful for another Kyokushin, or karate user. Wasn't really made against multiple opponents, or styles that come very close like Wing Chun and boxing.
Literally every single martial art that trains under a specific set of rules is "most useful for another practitioner of said art."
Considering Kyokushin is doing pretty well in MMA and Wing Chun isn't, you definition of "wasn't made against" is arbitrary. At the end of the day a Kyokushin fighter will beat a Wing Chun fighter for the simple fact that the former receives full contact training. Plus the theories that Wing Chun were based on, e.g. the center line, get debunked again and again as inefficient. Hence why you won't find it in MMA.

>Jujitsu is a funny story
The mythology of Jujutsu was made up the very same way as the one of Karate. Modern Jujutsu (past 150 or so years) has very little in common with Samurai warfare. Hence the creation of Judo by Jigoro Kano, who set himself out to show the principles on which Jujutsu was based on were ineffective and worthless in combat.

>they think they become übermensch, and forget their style is specialized in something
The problem is not specialization. The problem is training inefficiently. Taekwondo practitioners are not bad fighters because they're kickers. They're bad fighters because they're bad kickers.

This seems alright advice. Before you start any martial art you have to sit down and think and make your objective clear.
Do you want to be better able to defend yourself from muggers, robbers, shitstain sludge of society ? - Maybe kraw maga, boxing, judo or some shit with grappling.
Do you seek discipline and self improval, want to practice something fancy ?
Do you want to become a competitive performer ?

I did Judo when I was maybe 10 or so years old and never went past white belt. I am exfat with moobs n all who Is currently on the path of self improval, lost a lot of weight gained muscle, and will keep doing so.
I want to start a martial art I am considering Kyokushin karate and I want to do it competitively. I will lose more fat and gain loadsa more muscle and get rid of my moobs before that tho. I am also considering Judo.