I have weird ankle mobility issues, so I can't squat with correct form unless I put 5lb plates under each of my heels...

I have weird ankle mobility issues, so I can't squat with correct form unless I put 5lb plates under each of my heels. I've also tried stretching but it's annoying to do every time. I've tried front squats but they're really uncomfortable and I don't like them.

My question is, are there any negative long term effects with squatting exclusively with plates under my heels if I keep going like this, or is it essential I stretch properly every single day to overcome this?

Other urls found in this thread:

roguefitness.com/nike-romaleos-2-weightlifting-shoe-volt-v2
youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8&feature=youtu.be&t=3m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=iN-FPh7r1yg&list=WL&index=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get some weightlifting shoes if using plates is a pain in the ass

Same issue yo

buy shoes

Set a kettlebell on your knee when you stretch it SRS

i bought weightlifting shoes for that reason, they really do make a difference --> recommend

I had the same issue when my squats started to get heavy. Get a weightlifting shoe with a heel lift.
I'd reccomend roguefitness.com/nike-romaleos-2-weightlifting-shoe-volt-v2 if you've got the cash.

>roguefitness.com/nike-romaleos-2-weightlifting-shoe-volt-v2
Discounted even more on nike's site btw.

Good catch m'jew

Have you tried to work on mobility? Because in most cases, its not because of dorsiflexion but because you are immobile.
Try out different stances as well, a bit wider with knees flared.

is there a return/exchange policy if it doesn't fit?

Definitely work on your mobility before you purchase weightlifting shoes. Every person without a medical condition is able to squat at least to parallel once he works on improving the ordinary mobility issues. Chances are you will be capable to squat atg once you put some work in. It might take a few months, but if you stretch your hamstrings and ankles daily, results will come.

Some just can't squat deep.
Look at this lanklet here, long femurs youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8&feature=youtu.be&t=3m30s
But even he gets to parallel once he starts to widen his stance.

Do pic related - good for hips and you can push your knees over (and inline with) your knees.

Also try loading a barbell to 40kg and resting it on your knees, again helping them track over.

Outside of work outs, stretch stretch stretch.

WLing shoes are well worth the money if you are working out 3x a week. Get some.

Here's the barbell stretch.

Not OP but when I do this my right heel comes off the floor and my left doesn't. I think it's making my hips uneven when I squat.
Any idea what it could be? I've never had an ankle injury in my life either.

in addition to the weight lifting shoes

if i take a break for a couple weeks due to holiday or something when i come back i would do this youtube.com/watch?v=iN-FPh7r1yg&list=WL&index=1

it doesn't even have to be a routine thing, makes a difference even if you just go through it once

also i do a set of good mornings with just the bar and that helps stretch out my hip flexors before i squat

get some weight lifting shoes. or if you lift at home just put on some dress shoes (any formal shoe with sturdy elevated heel)

>squatting in dress shoes

Not sure. I'd take a look at various stretches for the various calf muscles and beast them. Rotate through doing 30 seconds, 3 times.

Really try and push that heel into the floor too.

Also try holding onto to something (pic related) and do a squat, maintaing a straighter, more upright position then pic related, whilst keeping heels on the floor.

I think its a combo of tight muscles + poor balence, or atleast poor confidence in your balence! Gl dude

Yeah my thought has been stretching and rolling calves.
My flexibility otherwise is fine, except for tight quads and hip flexors, which could be a cause for all I know. I can front squat ATG no problem. My heel only comes off the floor when I sit with a 50kg bar on my knees, not when I squat, but it does seem to slightly put my right hip higher than the left. So while it's not an issue right now, I'm worried it might gradually cause one over time.

Have you tried using a lacrosse ball on your feet? My depth improved dramatically once I started rolling my lower body and doing mobility work.

I have the same problem OP. I was born with club feet and had to have corrective surgery to cut the ROM of my ankles by over half. Been squatting for two years now, VERY wide stance, with lifting shoes. Haven't had any issues yet other than sometimes hitting depth can be a bit tough.

Now, if your problem comes from flexibility issues that you can fix then just ignore everything I just said and good luck to you.

Front squats are more of a back exercise than anything else

serious

just get WL shoes jesus christ

that is by far one of the most intense thigns I've done