Let's assume I can only do one pull-up, how do I improve? How to go from 1 to 10?

Let's assume I can only do one pull-up, how do I improve? How to go from 1 to 10?

Other urls found in this thread:

scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do a certain rep count assisted until you reach body weight

Keep doing pullups until exhaustion every day.
When I haven't done pullups in a while, I need about a week to get back into shape. I'll do 8 the first Sunday, 12 by Wednesday, and 16 by Saturday.

do them often

do negatives often

lose fat

Just try to add reps, whether by doing them everyday or with your workouts is up to you. For me, improving my grip helped, which makes sense since it's generally weakest link of the kinetic chain of pull-ups.

lose weight u fatass

thanks, I'll try
I'm not fat by any means, just weak
How do I improve my grip? I understand what you are saying, but I don't see how to do it.

losing weight is by far the fastest way to improve the number of pull ups you can do.

yeah, 154lbs of pure fat

Do weighted negatives.

Do as many as you can followed by negatives. Do like 3-5 sets till failure of negatives

Grip can trained in many ways, but easiest way to make them carry over to pull-ups is to grip more and harder. At the end of the last rep of the last set, just hold on to the bar for as long as you can. This goes not only for pull-ups, but for deadlifts, heavy rows, hanging leg raises, and the like. Hypertrophy work for forearms doesn't hurt either.

Why are pull-ups so hard to progress on?

When I'm 20% bodyfat I can only do 8-10

When I'm 15% body-fat I can do 10-12

When I'm 10% body-fat i can do 15 or so.

I tried 5x5 weighted pullups, but it seem to only make me good at doing heavy 5 rep sets.

Is this a natty-limit issue or something?

scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

this. I have also problems with the progression

maybe look at what calisthenic fags do

I went from 1 to 15 pretty fast just by just doing 3xF twice a week after lifting (also doing rows). You can also switch between chinups and pullups.

doing negatives and static holds at the top (chin above the bar) or the bottom (shoulders packed and tight and elbows straight) is solid work towards increasing them. my personal opinion is that you shouldn't go to failure. the logic behind this is that strength is a skill and skills are developed best when you're fresh and not fatigued. going to failure means a lot of metabolic stress. being able to do more pullups usually comes from neuro-adaptation and not just bigger lats and biceps(do't worry you'll get those later too)

Do one multiple times per day until you can do two

Repeat until desired amount

Also forget about grip- if you're new and you're losing grip it's because you're not using the right muscles from the start. Focus on engaging your lats and core. Also move your thumb to the front for increased lat activation.

Assisted or lat pulldowns. Lat pulldowns aren't exactly pullups, but they help train similar muscles for similar movements. On back day I do 100lb lat pulldowns x14, then 120 x14, then work on pullups for 3 sets of 8-12.

Though lately my shoulder has been popping with a bit of pain, so I'm just doing lat pulldowns and focusing on muscle contraction right now. Slow, hold at the end, and ease back up. Just like I do with rows if my back is too fatigued from deads, just lower weight and muscle contraction.

Anyone find it ironic that bro's on Veeky Forums tell people to do bro-splits, but then when it comes to doing pull-ups, everyone is in agreement about doing them every single day.
Makes me wonder why bro-splits are even a thing.

You should apply the same logic as pullups everyday, to every other lift. You'll see how much better your gains are that way.

I personally hit every muscle group 4 times a week. 4x better progress than when I only hit every muscle group once a week.

when becoming intermediate/advanced more stress on the muscles is needed to make further progress (break homeostasis). so you need to hit that shit heavier and therefore need more recovery

because once you get past certain rep range you are basically working in endurance range and if you don't train for it you won't be able to do that much more reps regardless of how strong you are.

when i started lifting i could do around 10 chinups with no weight. now i can do weighted ones with 35 kg added for 5x5 at 75 kg yet i can still only manage to do around 15-20 unweighted ones. granted i roughly doubled them but i increased my weight much more in that time frame.

if you want to get efficient at doing many pullups just do as many as you can and don't worry about weight but don't expect to get much stronger. just because you can do 30 in a row doesn't mean you can now suddenly do them with much extra weight.

if you want to get stronger doing increasing weight once you can do a total of 15 or more of them should be enough (3x5, 4x4, 5x3, etc.)

in my personal experience, doing them weighted at least has noticeable carryover to unweighted ones whereas the opposite does not.

YEAH AND???????????

YOU REALIZE YOU CAN LIFT HEAVIER WITH HIGHER FREQUENCY RIGHT? IE: NOT DOING A BRO SPLIT: EVER.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Anyone find it ironic that bro's on Veeky Forums tell people to do bro-splits, but then when it comes to doing pull-ups, everyone is in agreement about doing them every single day.
wat

I do pullups on lats/back day and chinups on arms/shoulders day. So do plenty other people.

Also pullups are far less demanding than most compounds.

>Makes me wonder why bro-splits are even a thing.
>I personally hit every muscle group 4 times a week. 4x better progress than when I only hit every muscle group once a week.
>YOU REALIZE YOU CAN LIFT HEAVIER WITH HIGHER FREQUENCY RIGHT? IE: NOT DOING A BRO SPLIT: EVER.
Once you reach a certain level you'll understand splits are far more efficient for building muscle because 48 hours+ is the minimum recovery period. Until then stop shitposting when you don't understand what you're talking about.

ok olympic weightlifters have a high frequency even the nattys. but they have heavy and light days

those numbers

if you do them every single day to failure there will come a point where accumulated fatigue will become too much and you won't be making any progress and will be forced to take a week or more off to rest. overtraining and overreaching is very real and document thing.

jump up to the push up bar and only focus on controlled lowering

also how much do you weigh? just lose some weight and the pull-ups become easier

>48hours is minimum recovery time
[Citation needed]

>Once you reach a certain level you'll understand splits are far more efficient for building muscle because 48 hours+ is the minimum recovery period. Until then stop shitposting when you don't understand what you're talking about.

lol mate

I've been lifting for 5 years now.

I did a bro-split for over a year and made literally ZERO gains on it.

>mfw sub 1 year lifters talking shit thinking they know it all LMFAO

it doesn't matter how long you have been lifting for, what matters is the weight.

you can lift for 10 years and still not be able to squat 4pl8.

Did you even read my post?

I DID A BROSPLIT FOR OVER 1 YEAR AND MADE NO GAINS ON IT

NO GAINS IN MUSCLE, NO GAINS IN SIZE, NO GAINS IN STRENGTH

Me going on a bro-split for 1 year literally wasted my fucking time. 5 years lifting has taught me low frequency is shit and high frequency is fucking imperative.

You'll know what I'm talking about when you've been on your split for another year or so and realize you haven't made any progress on anything, not size, not strength, not anything. Till then, have fun living in blissful ignorance.

>I lift less than you therefore I'm going to shit all over the benchmark for a brosplit to be efficient
wat

Ignore data and several decades of athletic and olympic training methods all you like, it wont make you some special snowflake who knows something the entire elite fitness industry doesn't.

> 5 years lifting has taught me low frequency is shit and high frequency is fucking imperative.

The first thing you've said that makes sense. It's exactly why splits work; they facilitate more volume.

What are you talking about LMAO?

If you want to talk about scientific data, it all points towards super insanely high frequency.

Just stop pretending to know what you're talking about, you're making yourself look retarded.

Started like u. Googlearmstrong pullup program

>bro splits facilitate more volume

No they don't.

Sorry to ask this, but do you even know what volume means?

this is bait.jpg

Top shitposting

>did a split for literally a fucking year without gain
>calling other people ignorant
Lmfao. Not everyone is as stupid as you bro. The value of a bro split is based on results, and if YOUR bro split was shit, that because you were shit. If someone does their research they can make their own routine. You lifted for a fucking year with no gain. That's because you were retarded. I did multiple bro splits and I'm hoping to only be ~2 months out from 1/2/3/4+ lifts, and I've only lifted for a year and a half out of twink mode 140lbs.

Delusional

>everyone in agreement to do them daily
No we aren't, I believe you should only do them 2-3 times a week. How the fuck are you going to do compounds like deadlifts, squats, and bench FOUR TIMES A WEEK with progress? That's the stupidest shit I've heard, ask any bodybuilder or personal trainer if they hit muscles more than twice a week and they'll tell you no.

Then again, this is the same guy that lifted without any gains for a full fucking year, so it's obvious you're retarded to some degree.

One of my major problem with pullups was that I had really weak rhomboid and packing my shoulder correctly was really hard , I started doing behind the neck pullups + Chest stretch and in no-time pullups started to feel way more natural ( especially those last few inches )

I did FB my first year, made a lot of gains

I did U/L my 2nd year, made decent gains

I did bro-split my 3rd year, made no gains

I did PPL-PPL my 4th year, made gains again

Now I do FB 4 times a week in 5th year, and I'm the leanest, most muscular, strongest, and have the highest mobility and best form I have ever had.

Also, you can do all your compounds every fucking day if you have your training scheme set-up correctly. I have no doing all the compounds and isolations I do 4 times a week, because I actually know how to set-up my programming in order to pull it off. OF course you wont be able to squat 5x5 everyday, but you don't do 5x5 everyday, you do different reps/sets, and spread your total volume out over the week, instead of focusing it all one day.

In the end, training this way, I get at least twice as much volume per week compared to a bro-split. You literally can't have the energy to do this amount of volume per body-part just one day.

I literally do 12 sets of squats every week above 85%, you couldn't do that in 1 day a week leg day. Not a chance in hell. This is where you don't understand, splits are horrible for total weekly volume. You simply cannot do enough volume in 1 day for a single body-part for it to be an effective style of training.

>i made no gains on a bro split, therefore nobody ever will

This is the worst kind of post on Veeky Forums

I'm just sharing my experience.

I put just as much effort into my bro-split year of training, as I did my full-body and upper/lower training. The fact is I got shit fucking results with the bro-split, and I started it already having 1/2/3/4 for reps, so it isn't like I started it too early.

The fact is I've been lifting for 5 years and have done all the routines, and I am telling you high frequency is where it's at.

I guess I'll stop posting though, most of you wont even be lifting in the next 6 months anyway lol.

>I'm just sharing my experience.
You're sharing your attribution of your own shitty results as the method being flawed.

Everyone is calling you out as what it is and you're getting buttmad and raging instead of using your brain.

pls go

Trips of truth

You can't do this operating at a calorie deficit.

Note that you're talking to a majority of formerly fat people who spend their lives trying to eat below maintenance. This would kill them.

Your routine suits scrawny hardgainers who eat a lot and have little else to do/no sports to train for.