ITT: things you hate about your gym, a former gym, or general awful gym stories

ITT: things you hate about your gym, a former gym, or general awful gym stories

>32mm barbells
>Plates that are less than 45cm in diameter

There aren't 42.5 kg dumbells. It goes 40s and 45s and fucking 45s NAIL me to the goddamn incline bench while I can rep out 40s easily.

>plates are barbells are rubber, not steel

whats the issue with this

They smell bad.

It's an old person gym not much to hate.

Limited selection of equipment.

>people who set their cell phone and other crap on a bench they aren't even using

It's a very crowded gym and there's only 1 power rack. It's only fucking place you can do squats and overhead presses. Thankfully vast majority of people don't mind doing endless sets of curls with no intensity and getting no gains for years so it's generally empty.

I know how you feel , especially when you want to use that bench and then you just do another exercise

>"Excuse me, I need this bench for a couple of sets."
>"Oh, sorry" (They move)

You literal autist.

>live in Condos
>series of 4 condos all connected each have gym
>only one has a squat rack, and that one was closed for renos for a week
>go to one with pullup/dip bar, not much else
>doing leg extensions, leg curls pretty controlled
>woman from another part comes in and freaks at me
>"stop doing that, it's giving me a headache"
>bertstare
>"yeah, I'm talking to you. I can hear that in the other room and it's giving me a headache. Stop or I'll call security"
>I told her to go ahead, as I wasn't slamming anything, but that I'd try and keep it down in hopes she'd fuck off

The entire week was filled with a lot of really dump shit, such as people spasming on the bosu balls, people heave curling 10s, and a lot of other weird crap.

Oddly, the Anytime Fitness I go to now is decent.

the instructors at my gym tell people bar curl in the squat rack, because you have where to rest the bar between sets

but the guy is not there tho

>only 2 barbells in total, one in the squat rack, one for the bench
>both not olympic barbells
>some of the bumper plates lost their rings so they're hanging loosely and you can't use them for most exercises
Thinking about switching to a homegym after my membership ends but not sure whether I need some of the machines later on

Why don't you just get a 2kg wrist band on each arm and put it on for these sets? plus it's transferable to other exercises if you need it.

What's with heave curling anyway? Is it a meme? Does it give out a better pump? Why do people do it?

They think curling more will give better results, and it won't. The biggest natty guys I know curl 15 or 20s for high reps, rather than just heaving the weight.
These faggots were also just heave curling 20s, so lel.

Heavy weights > increase in strenght

hope his phone is water resistant because it's about to get three heavy sets worth of my arse sweat

my kids won't leave me the fuck alone

>tfw singledad homegym

Get them lifting with you

I ask people around the bench then move the stray stuff anyway.

No mirrors by the squat racks and oly platforms

>interacting with people
you guys are far more autistic

>not liking the smell of rubber

ive had a great experience with every anytime fitness ive been to, desu

lift your kids, one of my favorite things as a kid was having my dad throw me around

only three squat racks. one is a shitty power rack. the others have set safety rails plus only one of them is in front of a mirror. I can't seem to get a good squat session unless I use the one with the mirror.

>gym full of prajeets
>staff has to post notice in mens change room
>basically:

"If you shit in your underwear please don't leave it on the bathroom floor or in a locker"

>prajeets start trying to flush their shitty underwear
>go home and buy home gym equipment and never go back
>become white nationalist

That SOUNDS fucked up, but I agree

Incredible ending.

>24 Hr Fitness
>All the weight equipment is in the basement
>no windows poor ventilation
>literally a dungeon playing nickleback and rhianna
>overcrowded because cheapest membership in town

luckily got a job where I can afford a decent memebership to a better gym.

DOGS TAGE BMY RECLINGER SEAT IN BETWEEN SEGTS STOBBIT DOGGERS

>one squat rack
>spotter holes are way too far apart
>opens up late on weekends

>tfw my gym was shut down recently for being run by a criminal organisation

>inshape
>outdated equipment
>barely any parking, but expanded the building for a pool
>can't even deadlift there

>five flat benches that are never all used
>one squat rack
>one cage
>always a line

>one fewer barbell than required to use all benches/racks, plus no extra for deadlifters

>no straight pull/chin-up bar, only retarded ones with a million different angled grips
lrn2wrist flexibility, fucking DYELs

>shit clips
Thankfully, I don't use clips

>floor in the cage is not flat
Seriously what the fuck?

>closes at 8pm on weekends
I'm not an early morning lifter and sometimes I just have shit to do earlier in the day

>regular dude who I have never actually seen smells so bad that I can still smell him an hour after he's left
Very notorious in my gym. I thought a sewage pipe burst first time I smelled his lingering stench. I was informed by another patron that it's just a regular that never showers (EVEN THOUGH THE GYM HAS SHOWERS).

I would post more but, my gym closes in two hours.

YMCA

Location #1
>tiny parking lot always crowded with families/kids
>old fucks everywhere
>0 squat racks, only 2 power cages, 1 of which is usually taken by some douche doing pullups or curls
>too poor to afford new equipment

Location #2
>inside a college
>always packed with dudebro students, many of whom juice
>slightly more equipment (2 squat racks, 1 cage) but still rare to have something to yourself

>Be me, doing squats in the weight room.
>Facing wall with mirror and window to the track.
>Young mothers pushing their enormous sports prams around the track.
>Two of these entitled middle class womanlets stop by the weight room door.
>One of them comes in, walking really fast and makes a bee line for the dumbbell rack.
>See this out of the corner of my eye and in the mirror.
>She walks out really fast, and her and her friend hurry back to pushing their strollers around the track.
>Look over, and the 5lb dumbbells are missing, which is right where the chick went to.
>Watch her go around the track a few times, and she's not using them for anything.
>They're just pushing their strollers and talking.
>Finally they leave.
>Never brought the dumbbells back.
>Bitch put them in her buggy and stole them.
>Can afford enormous sports stroller but feels entitled to thieving 5lb dumbbells that could be had at Walmart for about $5 for the set.

The fucking teens in my gym. Don't get me wrong, its better that they're lifting, rather than sitting at home jerking off or doing nothing at all but dear christ some of them are dumb.

come in with friend
>both of them take up benches
>his friend starts doing some sets, good form and all, good for him
>his friend sits there on the other bench, does some warmups on an empty barbell
>load some 25kg plates on it top off his friend who was doing sets with 20kg plates
>lowers the barbell to his chest but cant lift it up
>his friend helps him and lifts the barbell off of him before I get over to help
>smile at the kid and laugh, "maybe some day, take it easy for now"
>walk away
>5min later hear the other kid yell "what the fuck"
>turn to look
>the numbnut who failed at egolifting is standing there holding the barbell from the bench with two hands pointing it toward his friend
>see him poke his friend with it (presumably again)
>THIS CUNT USES THE BARBELL AS A SPEAR
>not in my sanctum.jpg
>walk over, grab his barbell, tell him to piss off unless he behaves
>he says something under his breath and continues through like 2 sets of bicep curls and heads home

Teen #2
doing some weighting pull ups, watch these 2 teens walk in with a speaker
>blasting what ever fucking pop it was
>they walk over to the squat rack
>can't believe my eyes, they hits depth while doing squats alternating turns
>everything is fine until they get to leg press
>he loads way too many plates on, does some reps with 2" rom until his friend notices a sticker on the side indicating correct depth
>he tries to do a rep at the correct depth and fails
>they try to push it back up but can't, and resort to quickly picking up the plates off of the machine and placing them back where they took 'em (atleast they did that)

To be continued, comment too long

Well equipped university gym with $5000 hammer fitness power racks.
BUT they could fucking buy a decent barbell for shit. Every barbell they ever bought bent within a week. Part idiots not knowing what they were doing part them buying horseshit barbells. It made doing bench press almost dangerous. I went to a neighbouring university with straight decent fucking barbells and I could bench a full 10kg more.
All because they could be fucked buying hundreds of thousands of dollars in new dumb bells, power racks and shitty machines but they didn't wanna drop a few hundred bucks more on decent fucking barbells.

Only one deadlifting/Oly lifting platform and some fatass powerlifting autist always deadlifts when I want to C&J or Snatch

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

faggy slovenian owner only plays shitty euro boy pop music that sucks dick, on top of that there's a rehab for fucking useless druggies above the gym and part of their program involves free membership so the 2 room gym is constantly packed with loud broscience spouting fucks who stink of cigarettes

>90% of gym space is taken by cardio machines, only half of which are used at any moment when the weight space literally runs out of benches at peak times

>speakers blast some gay ass thin voiced RnB negro singing he's going to love me all night

>short route to the second floor goes through one of of the class rooms and half of the time it's closed because all those fat women doing "aerobic" will get triggered via male gaze

>personal trainers tell you to fuck off if they want their customers to use the same machine/bench/whatever

At least for a cardio McGym it's quite cheap and open 24/7.

Continuing about teen(s) #2

>they disappear, presumably to drink some bs sports drink
>they return to do some leg extensions
>they realize that if you do it fast enough with a low weight, the weights travel further upwards thanks to their continuum(I don't fucking know english)
>they choose the lowest weight possible and try to compete with each other to see how far up they can bounce it
>ohmyfuckinggod.jpg
>gym's co-owner is having a workout with his considerable younger gf
>go say hi and tell him he might want to take a look in their direction
>he sees the kids and gets a 1000-yard stare
>he goes over and "educates them with a selection of fitting words"
>literally goes to the and yells "what the fuck are you two cunts doing"
>maybe he was a bit too harsh, kids are kids
>two week later I hear their moms cancelled their gym subscriptions due to their sons "not liking the atmosphere"

Teen #3
>this cunt was something special
>didn't have night shifts for a few weeks so I decided to go to the gym during the day
>4/5 times I went there was this kid who literally did nothing other than talk with a girl he was following around
>oh well, atleast hes not taking up machines/benches/racks
>next week
>see the kid doing some seated cable rows
>cool, he works out
>wait
>m8
>hold up
>this kid is using straps on that machine
>wat
>just walk away to deadlifts
>later on, he walks by me, looks at my straps while I was having a rest before my last set
>"hey, what straps do you use?" he asks me
>I just lift my wrist so he sees the logo and say just say RDX without going into detail
>"oh, cool, me too" he answers and shows me his while walking by
>seems like a nice kid, I think
>he walks to a squat rack, loads up the barbell with really low weight and begins doing some reps
>I do my last set and as I start taking the weights off I see that he had put those straps on again with the barbell
>hold the fuck up

Comment too long.....

some people are kleptos so i try not to judge so harshly. As someone who has stolen tons of cheap shit i didn't need (Like 20 $1 tank tops in varying sizes) I kinda get that sometimes being a klepto makes you look like an asshole or better yet, a retarded asshole in my case.

Hopefully this is th case and she's not thinking she's somehow "saving" money by stealing that cheap barbell.

To be fair when i worked at a gym I stole some small amounts of equipment here and there but usually it was stuff we were replacing soon anyway and making it go missing usually sped up the process (Note: This gym has a god awful company running it. They're supposed to be non-profit but they rig a lot of their scholarship programs and the ceos get paid massive amounts which is the real reason membership can be up to $60-80 in some locations.

If it were a private gym, i wouldn't do this since the funds might not be there at that time. But ths place had money to spare AND my boss had his budget down pat so he always saved the company hundreds per order. Is it morally right? No. But i still have some mild amounts of control so at least i do it to places that can take a hit without much notice.

Plus it was small shit like yoga mats, exercise balls, i got a free cooler once that just needed to be cleaned My mom harvested an entire couch from the childcare department (with permission. I always was kinda grossed out by t though).

Check your local YMCA for free shit, guys cause sometimes they give it away if you ask instead of throwing stuff out and the msot common reason shit gets tossed is it needs to be cleaned, thats it).

>power cage has a plate bolted to the beams, holes dont line up
>cannot put the safety pins in
>other cage is basic, looks like someone built it out of scrap steel
>only 1 barbell has good knurling
>incline bench is fucked up angle and seat angle, I cannot use it
>have no trouble with incline bench in every other gym ive been to
>change room smells like rotten ass

>0 squat racks
>2 power cages
Cages are literally better you autismo

Teen #3 continuing

>he turns it into a superset with bicep curls
>bicep curl - shoulder press superset in a squat rack while wearing straps attached to the barbell
>what the fuck was in my preworkout, I must be tripping balls
>after he finishes his sets I give him a friendly heads up, say he doesn't have to use straps everywhere
>he says that he knows, and walks off to do something else
>3 days later i see him doing the same shit with straps
>later on the same day, while I'm finishing my workout, I almost spit out the water I was drinking
>this kid is using straps on a cable pull-up machine
>what the absolute fuck
>I just walk past him and try clear my head
>for some odd reason it bothers me for the rest of the day

What the fuck do they put in the water these days, when it turns kids this kind of dumb?

(Same poster) there is a good reason why I usually go to the gym straight after my night-shifts and prefer it that way

>Gym don't have 1.25 kg plates
>No one re-rack their weights and nobody gives a shit about it.
>No free weights only smiths machines
>That guy that do egolifting and keeps with most of the pl8's and getting no gains
>DYEL's that put to much weight and do partial reps for every exercise, and flex between sets
>MFW i see this problems everyday!

Rural place, one rack in gym, always in use. It's OK now because making home gym.

Oh btw, can't confirm this it true, but I heard from another one of our gym-goers that the kid also used those straps on a smith machine.

My gym is pretty good. My only complaint is people don't put the weights back. I'm never sure if a barbell on the floor is in use or not.

Why are you smelling barbells?

I swear i nearly vomited once OHP'ing because some faggot paki used the barbell before me.

I watched a full grown man use straps to do a 2 pl8 shrug on the smith machine. This was the dude telling me about his "hamstring day" a few days ago. Fucking retards need to die.

> 80% prajeets
> loud as fuck because there is a gymnasium with people playing basketball all the time literally screaming while playing
> barely two year old $137 million facility has nice equipment but maybe 1/8th of the space is devoted to lifting
> terrible/not enough cleaning staff
> poor equipment maintenance
> 90% of staff members are very friendly and cool but don't enforce rules to prajeets that can't figure shit out on their own like taking off wet shoes before entering change room, use headphones and not a speaker, don't scream, don't bring your toddlers into the lifting area, use the proper lane on the track, wipe shit off you savage fucks, etc (I could go on and on)
> groups of prajeet retard meatheads will take over an entire section of lifting equipment for 40+ minutes
> regular fender benders in parking lot from foreign born drivers
> gym staff never organizes equipment. literally 11 45lb plates in plyo area for some reason today while on squat racks there were maybe 5?

I only keep going because it is cheap, close to my house, most of the staff is cool, and they have a network of other facilities throughout the city that I can access with the same membership, plus pool but no thanks don't want to bathe in curry soup

That is the absolute worst especially when it's busy

>This faggot still hasn't left Veeky Forums
>This faggot makes up stories for no reason
Jesus christ dude go back to bogdanoff posting on /pol/ already

lmfao

prajeet meet retard spotted

>>Gym don't have 1.25 kg plates
oh man the gym i was using while working my summer job had the same thing. but someone had brought in their own and i thought they were the gyms until they disappeared one day
>hey mr gym owner where did the 2.5lb weights go?
>oh they belong to X and she took them away when she left
>order some off amazon for 10 bucks and use them for the last couple months i was there
like how the fuck do you even call yourself a powerlifting gym without them?

Old gym:
>Dat sauna (in Finland so yeah, sauna after gym feels good man)
>Clean and roomy place
>Good equipment
Bad:
>no 50kg plates
>only couple 1.25kg plates
>price was not too bad but 60eur/month is somewhat on the higher side
>a bit far from home

New Gym
>they just expanded and expansion included FIVE more squat racks so my gym has 7 squat racks now which means just walking to do squats. Also lots of other goodies for /bigguys/.
>cheapo, only 230 euros / year
>lots of plates, incl. smaller 1,25 & 2,5 kg
>near from my home

Bad:
>no sauna tho but i usually go to sauna after gym at home now.
>small locker room, sometimes no free lockers so i just grab my stuff and put them in backpack & carry it with me.

my friend's college apt complex has a pretty sick gym. but there's so much rubber and the ventilation is so awful i feel like i'm getting closer to cancer every workout. literally sick.

My gym isn't too bad, heaps of racks, heaps of bars.
Only 2 flat benches (usually just drag a free bench over to a rack).
Fucking terrible music.
AC is shit (it's fucking hot outside)

>tfw old gym had a TPB, Deadlift bar, 1500lbs bar, SSB, etc.
>new gym's bars either have no knurling, are too thick, spin wayyy too much for anything not WL, don't have standardized ring marking, or have some combination of these issues

I might be a bar autist but their bars are truly awful

It does have a cardio theater tho so that a plus for a lazy asshole like me, though they mostly play shit movies.

>>shit clips

This.

>spring coils are all unaligned
>spend five minutes trying to get that fucker on the bar

The nice rubber switch clamps are always taken.

I work out at the City gym.

It's often full of handicapped people in wheelchairs etc, and/or mentally not all there.

I'm not complaining because it makes it awkward to move around. It just gives me some perspective, is all. I'm glad everyone has a place to go, and it's not always about lifting more than the other guy.

Thankful for my health, helps motivate me to keep it in the best trim possible for as long as possible.

>no good cable tower
that's about it. I lift at a YMCA and the membership is a little pricey, but the equipment is decent and I haven't had to compete with NYR idiots

They stick to the fucking bar

Humble. Why not home gym?

>no discs heavier than 15kg
>no rack or place to put barbell
>no olympic barbell
>one pair of dumbells for each weight
>20+ cardio machines
>full of women
>went ~3 years ago and asked for a strenght routine
>light weight leg extensions and high rep dumbell lunges
>rests on treadmill
i fucking hate living on the 3rd world, hope my new concrete barbell helps me

Old gym:
>steroid users
>crossshit
>lots of power racks but were always in use
>constant yelling and grunting from meatheads
New gym:
>anytime fitness
>mostly old people
>one power rack but it's never used, even when crowded
>silent
glad I made the switch

anytime fitness is great except when the 2 squat racks are occupied

>be Anytime Fitness-goer
>main club is literally stuck in between an Indian grocery store and a Chinese school
General parking lot nightmares

>hey there's another Anytime Fitness in the next town, maybe I should check it out
>go to bathroom
>see multiple copies of this sign posted on walls

Gym staff eventually found out it was a prajeet woman literally leaving shit all over the place
You can not make this up
>designated shitting streets

I'm not, but if you have any normal sense of smell you can smell thigns close to your face.

And they don't smell like rubber - they smell like B.O

>only 3 power racks
>one of which usually gets commandeered by a pt during peak hours so some middle aged women can squat 60 lbs
>people doing shit in designated sled area
>one of the rowing machines has been broken for months

on the whole it's pretty good though

lmao wtf is wrong with people

what is even going through the mind of someone like that? "Oh i'll just shit on the floor; it's no big deal"

fuckwits you refuse to wear headphones and think everyone in their gym wants to hear their shitty rap music. mainly wiggers

people who come right next to my treadmill when there are 50 empty ones. mainly old cunts who STINK

people who don't re rack their weights. your mum doesn't work here faggot put those free weights back on the rack.

OKAY FUCK I HAVE A STORY

first of all, fuck anytime fitness

>be me, squatting alone on friday night
>hear on the sound system they have a deal where you can bring a mate to train with you on fridays
>ANYTIME FITNESS PRESENTS FRIEND FRIDAYS BLAH BLAH BLAH fuck
>Go get my mate who's expressed interest in learning to lift several times
>bring him in on a friday
>immediately be approach by Fatty asian manager
>"Sorry that deal has expired, you're not allowed to bring people in like this"
>friends first time in a gym, already has anxiety
>manager makes us step inside his office, felt like i was in primary school again
>Asks if my friend would be interested in signing up for a membership
>explain that's why we were here in the first place
>basically tell the owner/manager to fuck off and his attitude is disgusting
>cancel my membership on the spot, manager literally looks like that sweating pepe (you know the one)
>Move gyms across town, longer drive but nice gym staff
>Bro never comes to the gym again

Fuck anytime fitness

this was in Aus btw

>1 Squat Rack + Shitty Barbell (doesn't spin)
>1 Flat Bench + Shitty Barbell (thick, heavy, doesn't spin, no center knurl)
>1 Incline Bench + Shitty Barbell (thick, heavy, doesn't spin, no center knurl)
>1 Decline Bench + Okay-ish Barbell (no center knurl)

I usually take the bar off the decline and use it for all my lifts.

>No platform
>No bumper plates
>Barely enough space to deadlift/row/clean
>Plates are +/- 2 kg of the standard weight
>Plates fit loosely around barbell, so deadlifting without clips is almost impossible
>Free weights area is some stairs, 2 doors and a corridor away from the rest of the gym
>No GHR, Back Extension or Reverse Hyper
>Overall only basic bitch commercial gym "fitness" equipment

two squat racks and row machines but 50 fucking treadmills

>old school gets turned into a gym
>building never got renovated or anything
>plumming was fucked up so no one could use the toilet or sink
>florescent lights keep flickering making workouts during the evenings feel like you're in a freddy krueger nightmare
>smell in the air of mold, rust and possibly asbestos
>drove 40 minutes to the next town for my workouts instead
>town was stuck with this for a whole 3 years until it got moved to a new building
>new gym building's windows got constantly smashed because we live in a reservation and we can't have nice things here
>finally moves to a strip mall where security is 24/7
>management can't be consistent and open on time

People that fucking reek. And I don't mean like a normal they've been working out hard and are sweating kind of smell. I mean they obviously had a vile stink about them before they even got to the gym. Their stinks just lingers in the air and stays where they've been. Makes me rage.

Pajeets, I no longer think they are humans.

I have a lot of things I hate at my gym but I still go there somehow, probably because I don't mind these stuff anymore
>small ugly fat gypsies everywhere
>almost always over 25 people in a 100 square meters room
>that autistic guy that squats 500 and mocks others for not being able to outdo him
>high school boys benching 50 lbs
>almost daily theres a guy that drops something on his foot or whatever and has to be taken to a hospital
>this group of friendly gypsies from some clan talking about how they're gonna rob some house and beat some people or lend money to others at 10% monthly intrest
>people shitting in the shower sometimes
>that gay faggot that "randomly" gropes the high school boys and other s that was in jail for rape
>waiting 20 minutes so that I can use one of the two bench stations
>watching the owner who is a 6'3 250 lbs guy throw out guys that aee acting violent
>those bald tatooed manlet brothers that talk loudly and insult eachother. They are nice good tho, also there is 4 of them, and they look the same. The big brother is a respected doctor and the others are drug dealers
>talking about drugs, people selling weed and cocaine in the locker room, people coming high drunk causing ruckus are usually handleled by the brothers
>two hookers, mother and daughter that use the gym as a way of getting customers
Shit I have a lot of stuff like this, want more?

>there's that one trainer who tries to bantz with me
>his bantz is middle-school level

Honestly the reason I got into fitness was because one of my shoulders was getting nice and big from changing my daughter's diaper. It's basically sets of 10 pound lat raises, ten+ times per day.

>Gym was a converted rugby changing room
>No air con, no heating, just some shitty fans in summer that didn't achieve shit
>27 celsius minimum internal temperature with 80% humidity
>No water fountains, bring your own bottle
>Only one squat rack
>Opened at 8am so you couldn't turn up at 0500 to escape the heat

What a horrible gym that was.

good post

3rd world country?
Malmo?

they do :)

>university gym has around 12 power racks
>the same group of 3 girls come in every day I go in
>each of them take up a rack

Another one

>uni gym can afford 12 power racks
>doesn't even have a single EZ curl bar

that's exactly how i imagined romania

currynigger detected

more please. Completely surreal to me how shit like that goes down in your gym.

>mother benching in the squat rack brought her 4 week old baby in some carrier.
Most unusual stuff Ive seen

>a billion free weights
>a billion treadmills, always 10-20 of them available
>2 smith machines
>but only 2 power racks and 2 bench racks, all of which are CONSTANTLY occupied

REEEEE