PLACES BATTLES HAPPENED

Post the quiet boring fields that once were swarmed with soldiers fighting to their end.

Pictured the battle of Hastings. The abbey was built where Harold supposedly fell.

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Sekigaharascreen.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gettysburg.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

East of Sevastopol

Thermopylae

480BC

The sea would have came up to where the road is now.

Verdun

Verdun again

Battle of the Somme

Vimy Ridge

Cannae

Crazy that this was only a hundred years ago

>why did William fight uphill, why didn't he raid the countryside
It wasn't really an uphill battle, you mong.

I have a picture of Honnoji.

Where Nobunaga was assassinated.

who tf are you calling a mong? lmao

I know it's fucked up but that field is beautiful

>tfw live in Virginia
>tfw strong chance there was at least a civil war skirmish near my house
>tfw know for a fact that there were at least two battles near my house

The battle of hastings at battle near hastings
What the fuck historians

sorry about spelling

this place was the last stand of the italian army on the Sette Comuni plateau
it's now called "Salto dei granatieri" (grenadiers' jump) because soldiers allegedly tackled the enemies and threw themselves down the cliff after running out of ammo

Not a very large battle, but one site I have personally visited

Plains of Abraham where French Canada fell to the British.

Aughrim, crucial battle in the Williamite War in Ireland

>it's now called "Salto dei granatieri" (grenadiers' jump) because soldiers allegedly tackled the enemies and threw themselves down the cliff after running out of ammo
thats a very ineffective way of saying "Slipped and fell"

Have any unexploded shit been found near your places user?

>tfw ywn see the Oda clan unite Japan and form a new shogunate

good. the only legitimate ruler of japan is the emperor

Gallipoli

Troy

Omaha beach

Iwo Jima

Sekigahara

one of those samurai battles

Great thread here, it's crazy that tons of people actually died at these places that you can just have a casual stroll down now.

Don't have a battle pic but here's the exact spot where FDR died. Idk if the bed is the same but the place definitely is.

Why are they shown fighting with Swords? Lindybeige told me that never happened. Guess the artist was just dumb.

bigger image
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Sekigaharascreen.jpg

I thought he died while posing for a portrait painting?

This was proven to not actually be the location of the battle of hastings because William would have had to fight uphill which doesn't make sense.

just like
said

Juno

The Malmedy Massacre took place here. 84 American POWs were killed in or around this field by Germans during the Battle of the Bulge
IIRC he got a brain hemorrhage while sitting for the painting then they took him to the bedroom and he died there.

Location of the Battle of the Crater in Petersburg VA. The Union dug a mine shaft underneath Confederate lines and detonated explosives, killing hundreds of Confederate soldiers. Then, many Union soldiers flooded into the crater attempting to get shelter from the Southern forces. The Confederates ended up shooting thousands of Union soldiers to death inside the crater and winning the battle.

Borodino

Us Russians beat Napoleons troops here.

One of the tanks used in the battle

Go look for some cannonballs

Srebrenica, site of one of the biggest massacres in Europe since WW2

Not big enough, unfortunately.

The infamous river where Luigi "Lets do it again" Cadorna sent thousands of Italians to die in a pointless fight.

this

WHat is that building? It’s gorgeous

Its just the monument for the battle

Agincourt

>Beat Napoleon's troops here
>Using a T-34

Battle of Isandlwana 22 January 1879, one of the first battles of the Anglo-Zulu. 20,000 Zulu's overwhelmed the 1,800 British who who mostly all killed.

Its the anniversary of the date today in British time.

Wuzhang Plains, which saw the fabled clash between Wei's Sima Yi and Shu's prime minister, Zhuge Liang during the wars of the Three Kingdoms period in China.

Specifically: the temple dedicated to Marquis of Wu (Zhuge Liang's posthumous title.)

Arsuf Israel near where the battle of Arsuf between Saladin and Richard Lionheart.

The crusaders built this fort when they won. Ruins of the harbour as well.

What this thread teaches me, an American, is that Europe is fucking beautiful. I need to leave America before I die

>a century later
>the ground is still pockmarked by shell craters
There's something about WWI that really gets me right in the feels. How many brave, innocent men were torn from their families to die in these places? Was their sacrifice in vain? Did their deaths make this world a better place? As much as I'd like to say that yes, they died for something important, I can't really believe it. And the more I read about the war the more senseless it seems to me.

I feel it user. Some day.

Luigi "Eleven Times the Charm" Cadorna?

WWI is haunting. It was the death of empires and the end of an era. It marked the destruction of an entire generation and many of the old ways people thought the world worked. It basically took a continent, rich beyond imagining, beautiful, powerful, and stripped it of all its glory and humanity. All the old empires, who constantly praised themselves for their civilization, their art, and their science, became barbarians, glutting themselves on the blood and carnage their industry and science could wrought. Virtually everyone who started the war did so for stupid, short-sighted reasons, and I pray every night that they suffered the full weight of their consciences in their nightmares ever after, but I doubt it. Because there's no victory in WWI. None at all.

I recently visited family in the Basque country. 10/10 food, 4/10 people (or """people""" if you're on the Spanish side). Shitty weather due to that fucking heat wave back in June. Also saw Ireland same time. Just as unimaginably beautiful. 2/10 food, 10/10 people. I really think the Irish are God's chosen people considering how just wonderful and pleasant they all were.

Why wouldn't it make any sense?

Siege of Masada

The Romans built that giant ramp on the right hand side

No one wants to fight an uphill battle

But sometimes you must. Harold has no reason to come off his hill.

This is Crowhurst. The real location of the battle

Much closer to Hastings and it makes sense because its flatter.

What is with you a flat field for the Battle of Hastings? We know from several sources(that disagree on other things like Harold's death) that be English had set up their lines on a hill and that the Normans were forced to assault them. Harold had just as much if not more choice in where the battle took place than William. He chose a hill that slowed the charges of the Normans rendering them pretty much void. This is why the battle went for most of the day. Harold forced William into the grinding fighting the Saxons had been doing for ages, rather than the cavalry engagements of the continent.

That fucking weapon though.

ww1 was the first big step in destroying the west.
Monarchy and old empires were essential to europe.

LMAO ypu guys withdrew.
Technically, you lost the battle.

Very well written user, one thing that allows me to rest easier is thinking that WW1 was going to happen one way or another, you have all these empires at the peak of their existence, accumulating mass amounts of wealth,military might and new technologies that just had to be used. Nations were joining the war for not much reason other than to help their allies who were helping their allies. I like to think that it's best that it happened then instead of happening later in the 20th century, imagine the damage of ww1 even 10-20 years after it actually happened

>This was proven to not actually be the location of the battle of hastings because William would have had to fight uphill which doesn't make sense.

Things not making sense are hardly proof of them not happening

To be fair, lots of places in America are beautiful too, but I guess we're just used to it or something
But yeah fuck alot of these pictures are great
>tfw can't learn every language ever so you can just go anywhere without worried
Also, why was that pic of the Isonzo such a bright shade of blue? Is it just me that finds it a little odd looking?

You lost and Nappu took Moscow

I live near the alleged site of Alesia. The place looks like what you'd expect, a steep hill with woods around, although you can tell, as festivals are held there, that Caesar definitiley pumped up his reports and added several thousands of John Does to the casualties and forces present ; you wouldn't fit 20 000 people there.

Also my father and I went to cut some wood near Fontenoy en Puisaye, where in 841 Lothaire was defeated by his brothers Louis II the germanic and Charles I the Bald. All sons of Louis I the Pious, they inherited what was let of Charlemagne's Empire (their granfather) and what was to become France and Germany. Again, the years passing by, the estimated numbers have grown to 35,000 soldiers, when all contemporary accounts relate of a very small (400 horsemen against 700 opponents) but ferocious engagements where the nobles from each sides were forced to fight without their troops. Lothaire defeated, the looting began and was stopped by the church, admitting a "right of God" in Louis and Charles' victory and imposing a three day fast for burying the dead. Incidentally, it'll allow for the rest of Lothaire's army to escape and continue the war, lasting until 843.

They're not if you look closely you can see they are using Yari.

It's not a weapon. It's a Baculum.

Kinda like a Marshal's staff and was the symbol of an overall commander in William's time.