Running General

>Running General

if i run in the morning, is it okay to run on an empty stomach?

i don't want to eat a light snack and then wait half an hour, would rather run when i wake up

any downsides to running on an empty stomach?

Nope

Nothing wrong with it. Some people get nauseas but if you don't then good for you.

Why are those girls wearing gloves

>Why are those girls wearing gloves
someone who doesnt know about work outs think girls need this for some reason and decided to add it into his photo shoot

you absolutely can if you feel fine during/after, just drink something after you wake up and get a solid breakfast in before work

personally i like to get some sugar in before my morning run - usually a fruit and half a cup of tea with honey. i dont get any stomach problems from that but thats me

No downsides. I actually prefer it because I don't cramp or get a stitch as often. You will run shittier tho because your blood sugar is low in the morning and you have less energy in general.

Most serious runners get up and either have or a mixture of:
>water
>coffee
>banana
>nothing

and go

Maybe they have cold hands?

I had no problem running on an empty stomack, besides getting hungry sooner. On the other hand, you should not run on a very full stomack, otherwise you may feel a certain need to empty it when you're far from home. That can a very good motivation to run faster, though…

Just make sure you drink something

Otherwise no downsides. A slow long jog isna great way to burn fat.

I always feel better running on an empty stomach.

Also it's spelled "stomach" not "stomack". Not trying to be a dick just helping you out

Lads,

Who here /winter slump/

All they way up to December I was still knocking (minimum) two 10Ks a week, making decent incrimental gains.

I try to run now and I'm lucky if I can barely make it to 5mi. Is it the cold? The heavier meals? God damn it my run gains were so strong and consistent when does it end

This is the reality that I choose to believe in.

You forgot oats dude. Every Track race thats what I eat in the morning

>BBBRRRRRAAAAPP

It's perfectly okay, but if you plan on longer distances than 6 miles, I would suggest you have a light meal or eat a heavy carb meal before bed. At minimum, buy some Boost or Ensure and drink it before your run. I usually have my morning shake (whey + 1 cup coffee + 1 cup milk + 2 tblspoon of peanut butter) and a banana prior to a morning run.

>teehee, it's cold out! Better put on something with no sleeves!

Oats gives me really bad RD issues if I go on a run after eating them.

I plan on going to one of those fancy running shops and getting my stride analyzed for new shoes. Is this worth it or just a meme?

more grip when jerking you off

Unless you're an amateur competitor, that's overkill. It's as simple as buy good shoes and run.

If you are having pain while running, it would be a good idea. A better idea, however, is to correct your form.

Track season is soon. RIP my shins

IT'S NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!
IT NEVER WAS FUNNY!!!!
KILL YOURSELF WITH YOUR SHITTY MEMES!!!!!!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Tracks are flat out shitty. Why is it even allowed? The local ones here are supposed to have give to it yet every person gets injured running on it even more than running hard on concrete.

>He actually runs in ovals.

Oh thanks, buddy. I never noticed that. You know, non-native speaker and all that.

>tfw almost up to 5k

can't wait to hit it reliably then I can start on the 10k

>The local ones here are supposed to have give to it yet every person gets injured running on it even more than running hard on concrete.
>supposed to have give to it yet every person gets injured
What did he mean by this?

Hey lads, I've been focusing on weihtlifting and bulking for awhile. I cut down, and I started to run again. Now, I have this strange pain behind my shins. What the fuck is my problem? If it's just shin splints, can I run through it?

Also, I have Hokas for distance running, but they're too heavy for sprints. Can anyone recommend me a pair with descent traction?

running before breakfast is fine, in ancient sparta they used to exercise before breakfast which is actually where the word gymnasium comes from

Most of our workouts are on the cross country course, stuff like 6-8x1k or 4-5x1 mile. The easy and long runs are on a mix of road and trail. Only the sprinters/ mid d guys are on the track consistently doing stuff like 6-8x400 or 12-20x200. Since I'm distance I maybe only do one workout a week on the track to get used to my spikes

I've read that if you run with empty stomach, your body starts to store fat because it realizes it's its main source of energy for running
Is this true?

no its the other way, it starts to burn fat for fuel.

How bad is running on a treadmill?

yeap, that's what it said in the article too, but it also said that it will start to store it. And isn't there a risk of burning muscle when you go on empty stomach?
It was some article on T-Nation IIRC

>t-nation
Nah, you're fine

not unless u run a marathon on an empty stomac and eat shit the rest of the day. start slowly tho, ur body needs to be adapted to using fat. ppl who are on keto can run all morning without losing muscle

That's just a dumb variation to "muh starvation mode" myth. Look up keto and why it's dumb.

Another important point: when you run a marathon, make sure you have your fueling strategy locked in. Practice it on long runs (18-22 miles range or 30-35 km range) or else you're in for a very bad day. Make sure you know what the course aid stations will have, etc

So bad that you should only use it as a last resort. Yesterday, I had to due to the freezing rain even though I had 5 layers of clothes on. Those 18 miles were agonizing.

Treadmill is complete shit. I can run 10 miles on a treadmill and I've been a pack a day smoker for a decade now.

tBh, there is no need to get so angry at autism chicks who finally discovered, after eons of human existence, that farts are fun(ny)...

smoking increases cardio gains

>be me
>running my normal route
>see a girl come out a side street and running in front of me
>follow behind her for a couple minutes checking her nice ass
>get tired of her slow ass pace and run past her
>glance back
>keep running

>irritates lungs
>lungs respond by growing bigger alveoli to get more oxygen
>results in better cardio gains

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Left to right, its
>kill
>marry
>fuck

>tfw 1k is tough

>decide to try minimalist running
>buy Vibram Five Fingers as a transition to barefoot
>go on a few shorter runs with them
>tfw calves feel like jelly

to help them fight off the rapists

Went cross-country skiing today for the first time in three years. Great fun, but tomorrow I'll feel sore all over.

As this is /run/ general, I also did my "social" run (slow, hilly, not too long, with friends) tonight.

Scheduled for tomorrow is a "long run" (15km), we'll see how it goes. So far, winter running focus is coming along allright.

I went for a run on Wednesday after having to take a couple days off, and I had to stop almost immediately because my ankles hurt way too much to continue. I haven't done any cardio since (got sick) but I had to jog a bit to get by a crosswalk and the ankles started hurting yet again, though not as badly.

It may be the shoes I've been wearing to run (those vibram toe shoes), but I've got nothing else to run in until I come into some more money.

Are the shoes fine and my running form is just shit? How long should I wait to get back into it? Should I just switch to swimming for good?

they're accessorizing

>hurt knee, take two weeks off
>knee is better, but I can't run for shit

Words can't even express how angry I am. This doesn't happen with lifting, so why does my running fall apart so fast with time off?

>vibram toe shoes
Might just want to tape some broken glass to your feet instead

why is treadmeal so bad?

What's wrong with them Vibrams? Mine are doing just fine. If you're having problems, usually it's because they help you run with proper form which you are not doing.

Stop heelstriking.

I started trying to run on the front of my feet, but the ankle pain hit from the start, so it didn't matter what strike I was using. Is it just built up from bad form from earlier?

that's not kobe

also I can't run for more than 2 miles without wanting to die are there any breathing exercises or routines I should do?

>front of my feet
Enjoy your Achilles tendonitis.

Yes, it's called "slow the fuck down and pace yourself."

No instability to help your muscles adapt. No headwind to provide resistance. Too soft of a surface. No fresh air unless you have a window or door open. And finally, it's boring as fuck.

>run on heels, goodbye ankles
>run on balls of feet, goodbye achilles tendon
So basically, fuck running?

Run more often for less miles per run. Don't run your max miles every time you run. Running isn't like lifting.

Or you could just learn to properly run by midfoot striking just like all other runners.

On particularly cold days I usually end up losing layers as my body heats up, but my hands tend to stay cold. So this actually makes sense.

>Head for a long run after a busy day
>Manage 2 slow km, before shin splints say no
>Still had to walk the 2km back home
Damn it was a slow walk. Think I'll recover by Tuesday for a 5km run?

Smokers do have higher levels of EPO. But that's also just their body struggling to get oxygen levels to normal.

I do my cardio every morning. Usually, while taking my morning shower before a run, I would be eating a banana and 4-5 spoonful of Greek yogurt.

Make sure you eat and drink something before a run, otherwise you'll get tired real quick. But also make sure you don't eat too much.

I thought I was. Landing on the ball of your foot is the midstrike, yes?

[spoiler]brap[/spoiler]

1-3k you can eat nothing
3-5k eat some fruit and some slow release carbs such as oats
5-10k eat a good serving of slow release carbs.
10-20k eat well the night before, carb load that morning
20-30k same as 10-20 but consider a snack at the 20k mark

There's no downsides to not eating but if you're running long distance in the countryside don't hit the wall in the middle of nowhere on an empty stomach.

I found myself in a field 7k out of town with absolutely no energy left at all on a winter's evening with 1hr of sunlight left. Good thing there was an apple tree.

this is a shit betamale meme. stop it.

>carboloading for anything below a half-marathon

That's if you want peak performance. If you want to get great times on your 5-10k's you should eat properly.

If you want to loose weight then just make sure you get enough protein to avoid aching for days.

After a while running every day you can tell whether your muscles are juiced up enough to go fast. A half marathon is doable on an empty stomach if you're going to be going 9min+ per mile.