Symmetric Strength Question

So recently ive been trying to get a one arm pullup. As part of my training I do a lot of weighted pullups. I decided to check Symmetric Strength to see how I compare to the average lifter, and apparently my weighted pullup is in the "elite" range. Im 70kg and can do a +60kg weighted pullip, how the hell is that nearly world class?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BPJil5PF3jn/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try doing Pullups when you squat 3 times a week and have some t-rex action going on

I got mine to world class.

My theory is that since it's not a competition lift the standards are more lax.

Shoot, there aren't even that many competitions for horizontal pulls either (rows). The lift isn't as competitive as say bench or deadlift, so we're missing a lot of data on the high end.

Realistically, it's like the OHP of pulls. So, for scale you should single rep between 1.3 and 1.5 BW for a two arm weighted chin and 1-1.1BW for a ten rep. (Similar ratios are used for OHP), but I think they should be a little higher even because there is so much more musculature devoted to pulling than pressing.

I got from advanced to world class on SS for the chin up in 2.5 months. Ask if you need to know anything.
instagram.com/p/BPJil5PF3jn/

Symmetric Strength, not starting strength

Symmetric strength is a shitty website with crap standards

What other do you recommend?

Other websites use similar ratios for weight classes, but lack the world-class standard.

None, just keep getting stronger and when you stop getting stronger find a new program to help you keep getting stronger.

The only reason to care is if you want to go to a meet. In which case look up local meets and the previous record holders and stuff to see how you'll match up when competing.

Ah, yeah I'll keep using symmetric Strength, then. No local competitions for my lifts.

most people don't really focus on pulling movements, as mentioned above

I've been aiming for 1 arm pull up for a long time now, I'm bulking atm, I'm hoping I'll have it after my next cut :') legggoooo boyoooos

What are you using it for?

If it's for ego then the lifts standards are low.

If it's for 'balanced' strength then it's stupid because many lifters will have significantly stronger lower body or upper body due to training history or morphology.

Symmetric strength doesn't offer any value to training or programming.

do you have legs op?

it's useful for making sure my weight gain from bulking actually has strength carryover (i.e. I'm not just getting fat)
not necessary, but useful

In that case just calculate your wilks and control your bulk with bf% bench marks.

Ie, bulk until 18% bf and then recomp/mini cut down to 14% then bulk again. Modify your training volume as appropriate and keep up to date with fatigue/super compensation cycles.

SymmStr calculates wilks for me, also not a powerlifter, so interested in 'relative strength' in things like weighted dips, weighted pull ups, ohp etc.
Also it has an account function so it tracks all the relative strengths in those lifts over time which is fairly useful, I try and use bf% + waist size too though

Dog, fix your training. OAC doesn't take that long. I started from 45% of BW for 6*5.

I make my own programs.

Ego.

Which ones are low because I'm using it for OHP and Chinning. I agree that the chinning is low now that I have world class.

Don't know enough about OHP to be sure.

But, judging by numbers these are my thoughts.

>Bench Press and OHP are considered to have a relationship of 1.3OHP= 1BP.
>@165lb bodyweight
>Elite and World Class BP are 360lbs and 400lbs respectively
>Elite and world class OHP are 230 and 260 respectively
>That's a 1.56 and 1.53 ratio.
>The proper adjusted OHP would be 276 for elite (1.67BW ratio) and 307 (1.86BW ratio) for world class

I assume they are so low because people don't train them competitively.

But, this means that I was far short on my predictions for elite and world class Chinning strength in post since the back should pull more relative weight

I'm just fat tbqh famalam, also haven't been particularly consistent atm, focusing on OHP
Closest i got was 78kg +60kg for 1

Here was what I did
>Work up to single set of 20 strict chins
>Do sets of 3*10 and stack weight as fast as you can
>Cut down to 6*5 when you need to, but keep adding weight
>Move to single arm work with a counter pulley

Easy to lose weight. Cut calories a bit and increase workout size.

Is this what you mean by counter pulley?

Yeah, shoulders are poverty though so they're the priority at the moment, I'm thinking I'll start cutting at the end of March.

Cheers for the tips senpai

That can work, but I used a climbing harness hooked onto a rope that ran through a pulley with a counterweight on the other side.

I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.
It'll be on the Instagram link in this post

did you have any elbow overwork issue? I have read a lot of people working towards a one arm chin get tendinitis from trying to progress too fast, also did you use negatives at all?

Almost got tendonitis. Seriously, I felt like I was on the verge of it once I started the single arm work. I tried to do single arm training every single day (and make progress), but I was sore to the bone and could feel the beginning pains of tendonitis.

So, I switched to every other day, but once the gains slowed down I did it every three days.

Before that when I was dong two arm chin ups every single day and progressing every single day. No tendonitis.

I did rock climbing and gymnastics, so I would consider my joints stronger than your average blokes.

Only supplements I'd recommend if you're worried about tendonitis are
>Myo-tone
>Fish oil
>Multi vitamin

When I hopped on these it basically stopped.

My current program has be OHPing every other day (sometimes 2 days in a row) and OACing once every three days (sometimes once every other day) and straight arm work in the form of planches.

They feel more strained than normal, but it's bearable.

not really any problems in the elbow, but did get some aches around my left shoulder blade, fixed it by doing the stretch in pic related after sets of pull ups (basically stretching the area between the shoulder blades) and also doing more high rep rotator cuff work

I do pull ups using 1 arm on the pull up assist machine too, but haven't really done much work with negatives

Cool will follow it