When should you start using a belt for deadlifts/squats if at all?

When should you start using a belt for deadlifts/squats if at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QdTc2Gv52uI
strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

2pl8

When you start stalling and your ego is crushed.

I'm at 2pl8s and I don't use a belt

2.5x bodyweight.

wear it.

What does a belt even do?

If you want to lift more and feel a bit safer wear a belt. If you have shit form don't use a belt, fix your form. If you have good form and don't want to wear a belt then don't.

Belts can keep you a little more safe but they won't make up for horrendous form or retarded ego lifting. I'm sure some will disagree but I think belts should be reserved for powerlifters and strongmen. Unless you're trying to lift as much as you possibly can why bother?

Belts feel impinging and awkward to me. I never liked them.

belts make your abs stronger always wear them even when doing curls

Gives you something to brace against. It helps keep your lower back a little more straight and gives your abs something to push against.

Same here. Plus I get lazy and don't pay attention to my form as much.
Beltless masterrace

Greatly increases intra abdominal pressure by giving your core (abs, lower back) something to push up against.

Doesn't magically make you stronger. Just helps you lift higher weights without having the weight crush you due to shitty bracing. If you don't know how to properly brace, I say learn how to do so first before getting a belt.

It makes you "safer" in that if you use it right, you'll probably be able to squat more upright which is a less comprising position than leaning so fucking far forward that you're horizontal out of the hole.

I started using one when I started squatting weights heavier than 2pl8, but I want to get into powerlifting in the future so I might as well learn how to use a belt now. I still go beltless with deadlifts though and I'm using 3pl8+ for working sets

When clarence begins using one.

youtu.be/QdTc2Gv52uI

Why does he jerk it off the ground like that

I started using one for my squats at 140kg, 3x5. I haven't tried deadlifts with one yet.

They help me immensely with the form. I'm not sure they actually make me any stronger during the lift, but they help me to keep a straight back much better by reminding me to squeeze my abs and allowing me to get a much harder squeeze also.

I'm at 4plates with no belt, there's no need for it

But a belt allows you to keep your core tight and makes it easier to tell if you are losing tightness.

Why wouldn't you wear one

I only belt when going for a rep test but never on my working weights (which is currently 265lbs diddly).

>(which is currently 265lbs diddly).

Thank you for your input Mr DYEL

How do we feel about belts for OHP?

Turns your core to mush

it helps tremendously but i try not to use them. It just feels like cheating on OHP.

Still, if youre having lower back pain OHP better safe than sorry just wear a belt

>implying it doesn't train them more

>this
I´m at a 4pl8 squat without. No one needs to use a belt

Start training your core and you won't have to think about it for a while, chances are you'll just use the belt to compensate for a weak core. "Compounds are enough for abs" is a meme. If your gym has an ab wheel start using it asap.

I use one on deadlifts at or greater than 4 plate and squats at or greater than 3 plate.

Tried it once and found it totally useless. Wish I could get it to work but I can't figure out how.

It causes the muscles in your core to flex harder than they would otherwise. Why would that turn your core to mush?

The belt is literally a meme.
Long ago, some really strong dude wore a belt in the gym to do a social experiment to see if other people would follow his routine.
He did it for a whole week, and next thing you know everyone started wearing a belt at the gym.
He knew the belt didn't do anything, but it was too late because the rumors about how the belt keeps your core tight or whatever were already spreaded.
Long story short, the belt doesn't do anything. Some dude just wore it to see if other people would. They eventually did and now everyone makes up the bullshit excuse to wear a belt.

Not to mention it looks fucking ridiculous.

Be an autist and wear a belt for curls and bench press

I used it once when I tried doing 200lbs for the first time. Core flexation is more important on OHP, so I figure it helped.

For me, when i do max sets. Could be a 1rm or a 5rm, whatever. Belt is most useful for OHP then any over lift imo

Lmao. Spotted the guy who's never done a set of heavy squats in a belt. Please make this your last ever post.

Why can't I push my abs out into the belt during OHP? Feels like all the air is in my chest and not my belly. If I try to push it down into my belly it feels weird

Whenever the fuck you feel like.

I wear my belt when I'm at ~65% if my max for either.

If you need a belt for heavy squats, you are literally a faggot.
Stop wearing a belt and squat it regularly. No one is impressed by your fat gut being squeezed in.

Around 200kg and so on seems reasonable

If you intend to compete, after ~6 months of lifting so that you have plenty of time to practice lifting with the belt.

If you do not, you never need to use one, but they become useful if back DOMS is the limiting factor in your progressing.

A belt helps you stay more upright during heavy squats, which directly leads you to squatting more. The only people who are triggered by belts are DYELs.

This is all you need to know on the subject:
strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/

>A belt helps you stay more upright during heavy squats, which directly leads you to squatting more

Get a stronger core. Again the proves my point about the original post I made about rumors about the belt.
The belt does nothing.
Gtfo.

>get a stronger core

Again you're wrong. Using a belt actually increases core strength because it gives your abs and obliques something to push against. That intradominal pressure created is what keeps you upright.

If two lifters squat the same maximal weight beltless, are the same height and bodyweight and one trains with belt and one trains beltless, the one that trains with a belt will overall be stronger and have a stronger core than the one who doesn't do belted training.

I only wear a belt on deadlifts north of 4 plates. Mostly just a precaution as I've been to snapcity enough times already.

Finally, who should almost certainly train with a belt.

Powerlifters and bodybuilders.

All those benefits we talked about at the beginning of the article – moving more weight for the same number of reps, moving the same weight for more reps, or moving the same weight for the same reps while incurring less fatigue per set (allowing for more total volume) – you’d be a fool not to take advantage of them. Unless you have a problem with exploiting the two most potent factors for long-term strength gains (volume and intensity)… and if so, that’s your issue.

No one needs one but they offer benefits. Dunno why you're so salty about belts, all they do is provide a means of being able to contract your abs harder. That's it.

Here's a helpful analogy. Imagine standing in front of a wall and pushing against it maximally. Then imagine pushing the wall with your foot up against another wall behind you. You're going to be able to push harder. That's exactly what a belt does - enables a harder contraction of the abs. The abs still need to be actively contracted hard. Try actually wearing one before you post what you think you know and attempt to pass it off as gospel because right now it's blatantly obvious that you don't know how a belt works.

This. If you don't learn to brace on your own you shouldn't be lifting that heavy and will probably fuck your shit up sooner or later.

Pic unrelated

sounds like your squat form is bad if you need a belt to keep you upright

Never.

t. 200 kg x 5 squatter at 90 kg

I've never used a belt. Just never bothered to buy one.

I deadlift over 6pl8 nowadays.

Why the fuck should I listen to a tripfag?

Nice.

When under maximal loads you're more likely to lose a squat from your hips getting too far behind the bar than anything else. Staying upright helps negate this. Try it for yourself, go add weight until you fail a max attempt with a squat beltless. Then put on a belt and that same weight should move easily.

Because I don't get my information from just Veeky Forums like 90% of the posters here.

That doesn't mean the info is correct

i wear it sometimes on heavy stuff because ive had a lot of little back injuries and it helps prevent then

your ego shouldnt get in the way of not getting hurt

>this is what beltcucks actually believe
Yeah, ok, "big boy".

>Then put on a belt and that same weight should move easily.

>wah, I'm a weak bitch who can't keep his form under load; I absolutely must use this crutch to add 10 kg to my squat

Thanks for shoving everyone the true face of beltcucks.

>100 kg without
>all above with

>hurr durr the belt
>doesnt brace hard because thinks belt provides stability
>inevitably snaps his shit up

Never.

Clarence0 deadlifted over 750 pounds no belt can squat 600 pounds 10 times with no belt. Even if he is on roids he was able to get to a 500 pound squat with no belt and I want to do the same.

99% of the lifting population don't need a belt, they just need to learn to valsalva maneuver and brace correctly.

>muh valsalva maneuver

Dont listen to these manlets, op.
Don't rely on it too much though. I normally wear one for a new 1rm then take it off and do some volume work at 70-75%

some guy told me that I shouldnt squat with belt because your back muscles will get underdevelopped.

This is broscience right?

Yes.

If you can lift more with a belt and don't get injured or suffer any noticable draw backs, wear it.

If you prefer to lift beltless, lift beltless.

I lift beltless, I will probably try to stay this way. I got dat der 3/4/5 plate, and can rep 405x3 on high bar with no trouble beltless. When I use a belt I go to deep and have to much confidence when I'm tired.

clarence cannot rep out 600 lbs for clarification. That is 10 singles.

Props when props are do.

Kennedy is a force of nature when it comes to lifting, and using him as an example and suggesting his methods apply just fine to normies is foolish.

>force of nature
I assure you he's not exactly natural.

He was an absolute monster even before he was on gear.
Science just made him even stronger.

as soon as you want to, a belt allows you to brace harder and lift heavier as a result (ergo more gains)

but there is never a requirement for a belt, it's just a tool

+1 to this guy. Belt up when you're good enough to know why you're doing it (form is good and weights are beyond heavy)

I pulled 435 conventional deadlift today and it felt easy. I need it for 495 trap bar deadlift. I don't a belt for squatting unless I'm doing a pr.

What's a good brand to buy if I want to buy a belt? Would the poverty $30 amazon belt work fine?

Whenever the fuck you feel like it, honestly. I usually put the belt on once I'm past about 75% 1RM on my squats and on my working set for deadlifts, maybe a set or so beforehand. Don't use the belt as a crutch and it's really a non-issue.

I wear belts for my working sets. Helps me keep my form better and keeps me injury free. Same with my knee sleeves. I also do core work, I just feel safer and tighter with belt (better mental state so better lifts).

Its the third week of January, people like you should be gone by now.

xxanaxx is that you?

>When should you start using a belt for deadlifts/squats if at all?

Training for a contest = wear belt

Training to be healthy = no belt

This is just like using straps or mixed grip on deadlifts. Unless you are trying to get to a certain amount of weight, you shouldn't compromise the benefits of the raw lift.

When your friend needs a help with his furniture, will you seriously wear your lifting belt?

hey you're the guy who's squat is shit, right?

>When your friend needs a help with his furniture, will you seriously wear your lifting belt?
No for several reasons...

>a belt would be fairly constricting for moving furniture
>furniture straps or a dolly / hand truck would be more beneficial assistance
>by the time you can deadlift 225 lbs you're already strong enough to be sufficient help moving most furniture

if you're having lower back pain on OHP, why not just sub it out for seated DB/BB press? srs

no thats me ;_;

bad spine and knee

this

once its not that light

>Shit squat
>Good diddly

I think we can call it even.