I'm thinking about getting one of these modular dumbells sets, any experience with these?

I'm thinking about getting one of these modular dumbells sets, any experience with these?

I have a few sets; they're pretty neat. All you have to do in twist one of the slots to adjust the weight without having to add or remove anything from the actual weight, so it cuts down on clutter and makes drops sets a breeze.

They look cool and are convenient if you're low on space but aren't they quite expensive compared to a second hand regular set?

I have the powerblock 90. It was expensive, but it's really well made and perfect for home workouts. You can accomplish a lot with these and a pull-up bar in a small amount of space. Ideal for apartment living.

i looked into those specific ones, they break guaranteed after 1-2 months even with light use. idk about powerblock though.

How does this work

Can't you get olympic dumbbell handles instead?
Assuming that you have a functional homegym wouldn't those be better?

I have a regular adjustable set of dumbbells. Not as convenient as twisting a knob, but good for the price.
I have 120lbs of weight. total cost of 90$

turn the wheel around and the dumbells start to weight less and less

They're OK. Mine maxed out at 55lbs so I could only really use them for ancillary workouts and light days. Also you really have make sure no dust or shit gets inside because that happened to mine and one of the discs started slipping off mid lift. Makes me nervous still.

that's literally not possible

Are you literally retarded?

i was talking about adjustable dumbells in general, was hoping to get some insight on which ones you guys like

if you say this model breaks I'll probably go with a basic set

That is literally what happens.
Twist a knob and the dumbbells weigh less.

the weights come off, you fucking skank

HOW

im fucking dying

I have had those exact ones for about two years, no problems real yet.

Its like that gravity chamber in dbz. Turn the knob to set the gravity

how does this witchcraft work? thinking about getting these

DO NOT drop them too hard - they'll break. I set mine down roughly after a hard set of dumbbell chest press and the plates fell off.

Are these expensive? I don't even work out at home but they'd be cool to have

I'll twist your fucking knob you piece of shit do not test me

i swear to fucking god this is impossible

My bro does have a home gym that uses 8 hours a day for private personal training sessions. When the trainee is a guy he often uses dumbbells for arms. He is enthusiast about this article. I don't like too much the weight bumps but it still works very good after the considerable workload.

much more expensive than normal bar + weights + collars

This looks like a gimmicky NES accessory desu. Cool shit, but do they really save that much space compared to a normal set?

Core fitness makes a nice set that you dont even have to take you hand off of to change the weights. I work at a sporting goods store and they have to be realigned considerably fewer times than the bowflex ones

My friend has these, they're pretty cool imo. They're 10+ years old so they definitely lasted. I'm sure they're on the cheap at a flea market

did you fail pyshics class?

Is this a meme?

>dumbless with a knob on them that can magically change their weight
of course its a fucking meme you dip.
by all known laws of physics this is impossible.

ive had them for 3 years of routine use, no problems
maybe you have been talking to people who like to drop weights, that would probably break them after a few times

to my understanding you pick the weight you want and it lifts a certain amount of plates out depending on what you selected.

I have these in my home gym
0 problems with them, very convenient and space saving

For people who don't understand:
There's a knob that tells you how much weight you want on both sides of the dumbbell. It changes what the bar of the dumbbell latches onto, so when you lift it up it gives you the selected weight you chose. Pretty simple, no magic.

But where does the rest of the weight you're not lifting go

It's its own receptacle dumbass

I read the amazon reviews on these and they say that they break easily.

they look so fragile, they are a gimick and having it designed like that will not be as strong as it could be

...you do appreciate the dial simply allows a user to incrementally release weighted sections, right?

The heavy thing is made up of lots of smaller not-so-heavy things. When the mechanism releases one of the not-so-heavy things, the heavy thing is less heavy.

Do we need to break out some acrylic paint and potato stamps, or are you all good from here?

They're fucking epic. My bro had a set back at his parent's house and they worked so well. Felt great in the hands, had high weight calibers and easy to switch.

I did not understand it at first either but it makes sense with this picture I made

I have a set made by Gold's. They are good. The problem is when you advance past 50 lbs. Other than that they were great quality and did what I wanted them to do. Of course I work out in a gym now and all my weights are in storage.

A Freind of mine had/has the ones in your pic. And had broken 2 of them when he broke one he bought another then broke that one a month or so after. Now he just has one. I'm not sure if he was dropping them or what that's why I invested in a proper set

never reproduce

Probably convenient for anyone trying to conserve space but they look seriously flimsy.
More moving parts usually mean more fragile. I don't drop weights a lot but lifts fail and accidents happen.

I've tried both the Bailey's in OP's pic and the Powerblock, and they're both pretty good in terms of space-saving. I slightly prefer OP's since they feel more like traditional dumbbells (on the Powerblock, there are these bars surrounding the handle that form a sort of enclosure... I find them a bit awkward), but they're both good options.

>do they really save that much space compared to a normal set?

Of course. One pair of bigger dumbbells will take up much less room than 8-9 pairs of dumbbells.

son

I have that model, blowflex i think. Pretty good, expensive but great on space efficiency

thats different to a singular magic item that can somehow become heavier or lighter

> you twist it and it changes weight
is totally different to
> you twist it to take pyshical weights on or off

I'm super careful not to drop mine... to the point that I almost injured myself ( random joint issue suddenly ) and had to awkwardly get it down without dropping.

hex weights will also break at the weld/other weak point if you drop them.

bought them when space was an issue... now I want to go to a million garage sales to try and get lots of plates for less than $1/lb

Nah. I have those for like 5 months now. They're sturdy as long as you don't drop them.

Also I love them. I have a small apartment to the point I can't even do chest flys without laying in 3 rooms at the same time. Thinking about replacing them with the ones with higher max weight though.

How much did all that cost?

It looks like it just got unscrewed