CALLING ALL NEWBIES

This thread for any new comers that need some help starting or have questions concerning
>lifting technique
>diet
>supplements
>programs
>running

Other urls found in this thread:

myvega.com/products/categories/all/vega-sport-performance-protein
supplementlabtest.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is GOMAD a meme or not?

I'm an impatient asshole. How long until I start seeing results with my diet/exercise?

3 months for actual noticeable changes

That depends.
I'd say do it if you're not lactose intolerant and if you have no other way of filling your macros.
I'm heavily lactose intolerant and I always just counted my calories and macros. (IIFYM)

Yes and No.

It is a way to get a lot of proteins and calories into your system relatively easy, but it is a lot less optimal diet than getting your macros from eating a healthy diet (Chicken, vegetables, oats, etc etc)

I think it is more geared towards people who ONLY want to get stronger, have more or less NO idea what they are doing, and are fairly skinny.

These are just my opinions, that i have based on common sense.

Been dieting and excercising for a few months (2 or so).
Dropped from 22 stone to about 20 (6ft 2)
Instead of lifting I've been focusing on cardio, and recently I've taken to swimming since my gym has a pool.
I'm doing about a quarter of a mile swimming per day, sometimes going up to half a miles or even 1km.

Is swimming good at burning fat? Attempting to get down to the 13/14stone range.

I'm going to start cutting soon. Any tips on what foods to eat to avoid losing muscle mass?

I'm not sure about it burning fat better than taking a run, but it will be better on your joints at that weight. All in all good job on your progress.

I've been dieting for 5 months now, lost ~50 lbs running and doing bodyweight exercises

Where do I go once I'm finally thin? I only need to drip another 10 or so lbs to be at ~12% bf, where do I go to learn about bulking and proper routines? Can I keep doing cardio if I'm trying to put on muscle?

Losing weight was easy, just eat less and move more. Gaining muscle seems scary, complicated and daunting. Pls help fit

is pic related good?

>myvega.com/products/categories/all/vega-sport-performance-protein

I'm glad everyone's doing alright. I'm pretty much a NYR cuck. Been working with my diet and today isn't a good day. I'm trying not to starve myself but I try to hit a bit under my deficit. I'm trying to lose 30lbs ff my 220 by May. I implemented some cardio earlier last week so I hope I can continue

labdoor.com
supplementlabtest.com/

Going to the gym for the first time Wednesday to start SS. I'm 6'0 160lbs, not much muscle. How much weight should I start with for various exercises? I've been told to start with the bar for squats, but what about other exercises?

Skinny dyel here. Been lifting for roughly 2 months doing only compound lifts every other day. Should I add isolation exercises to my routine? If so, when? And which ones?

For your first time just use the bar for every exercise because you don't want to have one of those "oh shit" moments. The only one you should add weight to is deadlift and weight should look like >pic related. Those are bumper plates they're the same size as a 45 just with lower weight. Use the 10 one just so you can get good att our form.

Forearms-farmers walks
Traps- dumbbell shrugs
Abs-really fast mason twist are pretty fun
Triceps-close grip bench or close/diamond push-ups
Biceps- iso dumbbell curl
Those are just a few, if you need more just tell me what area.

I literally signed up for the gym today. I'm at home gathering my things and I'm gonna go for the first time.

How's my routine? It's basically a modified SS with accessories.

Week1: Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A
Week2: Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B

A:

Squat 3x5

Bench Press 3x5

Deadlift 1x5

Cable Rows 3x12

Chin-ups till failure

B:

Squat 3x5

Overhead Press 3x5

Barbell Rows 3x5

Rear Delt Cable Flys 3x5

Dips till failure

You should buy the SS book my friend. That being said start with the bar and do sets of 5 with increasing weight by 5 to 10 pounds until the bar path starts to slow.
Then do 2 more sets of that weight.
Also start at 135 pounds for deadlift, everyone starts at 135.

I'd like to be strong and have muscles, but looking in the mirror I really could stand to lose 8 - 10 kg. Should I just focus on that for a few months? Like, eating at a big deficit even if I can't get stronger or lift heavier?

Thanks for the help, I'll be getting the book soon, seems worth the investment. So to be clear, I should take a day or so with just the bar to get form down, then next time add enough weight that it slows my motion, then proceed with the +5lbs a day from there?

What routine or program should I follow?
I'm 5'7
113lb
18 yo
I just want to be generally healthier and a bit bulkier. Never had food problems always been naturally lean.

Been on the fence about getting Veeky Forums for a while.

I'm not too caught up in actual, practical strength, just aesthetics primarily. I'm ~5'11 and weigh around 110lbs, obviously with very little muscle.

With that in mind should I start with SS? I've been doing a bit of reading, and it seems to be tooled primarily for people concerned with dropping weight, and performance; essentially the inverse of what I'm after. It seems popular here, though, so I'm assuming there's something to it.

Given the fact that I'm practically a waif, is there any reason to be bothering with diet? Or is switching to healthy foods a must for looks?

>"im doing ss"
>never read ss
>posts a routine not in ss

>aesthetics primarily
>any reason to be bothering with diet
>must for looks?
Lifting weights wont get her back

I prefer 5x5 over SS, but everyone should have some decent strength behind them before just focusing on aesthetics. Also lifting is around 60% percent diet, if you you don't eat good how are you going to look good?

Day 1: start with the bar. Add weight till it slows. You won't go to snap city squatting 95lbs your first day.
First ~3 weeks: add 10lb to squat/dl till it feels like too much, then switch to 5. Everything else is 5lbs.
After: Squat, dl, bench should increase in 5lbs. Probably have to do 2.5lb increases on press towards the end of ss. You should be on SS 3-5 months; any longer and you are fucking around too much.

Please help

GOMAD+SS

I am also wondering about this sort of thing - I am a chick but i dont know weather to focus more on loosing weight at first or go hard into toning/muscle building and hope the fat comes off as I go

>3 months for actual noticeable changes
nigga wat

Noob gains are real. Most people will start noticing changes by week 3.

Alright, I'll have to look into 5x5, I haven't heard terribly much about it.

With regard to focusing on strength over aesthetics initially, I'm fine with that; however, given my height/weight, how long, very roughly, would you suggest staying on strength before moving onto the latter? Is there any concrete point where I'll know to make the switch, or is it more arbitrary and situational?

I'm a little bummed about diet, I had hoped that talks of that were for people looking to cut weight, but I'll have to start looking into nutrition as well, I suppose.

I was in the same boat as you, femanon as well, so I ate at a slight cut, put effort into hitting my macros daily, and started lifting heavier. I stayed the same weight at first but was visibly more toned and lost an inch around my waist.

Depends on how fast you can escape auschwitz and when your noob gains stop.

I have been doing SS for 6 months, I get really tired after squats which makes me perform poorly on the presses, and they are really lagging back compared to the DL and squat gains. Some friends told me to do presses first, except on Deadlift day. Any advice?

>2017
>running a "aesthetic" routine full of isolation fluff and pump shit

Aesthetics is all about bone structure, shape of muscle bellies and low body fat. You will get just as aesthetic on a strength focused program.

You can cut whenever you feel like you have enough muscle to look good. I don't really know of any concrete line that could tell you when you could stop.

Sounds good.

What were your 5 rep maxes when you hit 1/2/3/4 for the first time?

I really wanted to hit them before mid February when the semester starts. My deadlift is shit so I know that's not happening though
My 5RM are 50kg/75kg/110kg/120kg

Doing SS basically since Novemberl

Only ever missed two bench reps, one at 60kg and one at 67.5kg so that's been going pretty well. Deloaded once on squats from 97.5kg when I learned to hip drive properly. Deadlift sucks and is stalling ATM, feels terrible. Pretty sure I'm doing something awfully wrong with that

I want some more protein in my diet and I'd like to introduce shakes in there. How does that work?

How does what work?

im 17 180-90 lbs 5'11
joining the marines in a few months on delayed enlistment what would you recommend to prepare and get in better shape

SS and light cardio in between lifting days would probably be a decent start

>2 weeks in
>Dieting is going good, eating at a pretty decent deficeit without feeling hungry, already lost about 4ish pounds
>Going to the gym is no longer scary, I've learned to not give a fuck

Am I going to make it bros? My goal is to lose 40 pounds this year. Currently sitting 5'9", 204lbs.

I'm 6'5 and squatting parallel means I'm a few cm from ATG

Is there anything I should be doing to help this or am I just doomed to hard as fuck squats cause of my height?

Hey Veeky Forums. I'm a fat slob who wants to start losing weight. I've already cut out soda and plan to keep that going as long as I can. I decided to start losing weight because in about 4 months I'm gonna be marching in a parade and it's about 3 miles long. I'll have a 20 lb drum attached to me and it's gone be in the upper 90 the temp. I was wondering if you guys had any tips to help out. Don't want to embarrass myself on tv by passing out infront of the cameras. Currently 6'2 and 280 lbs

Are the heart rate calories burned calculators the best way to estimate how many cals I'm burning with exercise? I'm morbidly obese.

Squat shoes with a decent heel

Start taking long walks, eat less, better food. Start doing back exercises.

I was in the marching band as well in high school. Played the tenor drums, those things were like 20lbs, never had to walk more than like 2 miles, though. I feel your pain, that shit sucked major dick. I was always completely exhausted by the end.

I'm concerned with showing my power level.
Will I be able to have a healthy body while maintaining a facade of a neet?
How would I go about doing so?

Yes, same, not losing weight but seem to be fitting better in my clothes! Good luck and thanks for the inspiration.

I'm just really worried about dropping out of the parade and being the laughing stock. Last year I was barely able to math a Disney parade that wasn't even 15 minutes with a 5th bass and this one is gonna last about 2 or 3 hours

Just eat less and exercise a little bit. Don't worry about how many calories you're burning, the less you eat, the less you calories you consume.

It's significantly easier to not eat than it is to burn off calories.

What the other guy said. Also do 100 push-ups to failure when you wake up and before you go to bed.

I'm 6ft and 170lbs with a trash bench (3x5 120lb). Is it possible to improve it by benching every other day? I've read that 48 hours of rest is the minimum. Doing redditppl if that matters.

How the hell am I supposed to hit all my macros on a cut? Some calculator said I should be getting 170g of protein a day, but I can only manage that if I eat almost entirely meat. Collegefag btw so I have to work within the confines of my meal plan and whatever the dining hall is serving.

Also, what kinds of things should I be doing to improve deadlift form?

Eh, it's tough. At least with the tenor drums I could fold it up when I could barely walk anymore.

Just do a bunch of cardio, and try to build your leg and back muscles, especially the lower back. Try to lose weight, but just a little at a time because the last thing you want to lose is muscle. I don't know man. Just work your ass off for the next 4 months, you'll be fine.

Whats a respectable distance or time to target on the rowing machine? Like beginner intermediate advanced levels

Any workouts I can do at home? Cheap fucker and don't want to shell out the money for a gym membership

I'm walking 6km in an hour 6 days a week, lifting 90 mins 6 days a week and eating between 1500-2200 cals a day. I can see a difference in the mirror but the number on the scale has only dropped a bit. Surely I'm not putting on muscle at this low of a deficit. Are my eyes deceiving me?

>Is it possible to improve it by benching every other day?
Yes, this is what ss and sl have.

I should be more specific, I mean literally once every 2 days, not every other workout in a 3 sesion per week routine like sl or ss

I'm a fat fuck with confidence issues, so I don't really want to go to a gym or go jogging in the streets until I've lost a bit of weight.

Is it possible to lose weight by buying an exercise bike and just using that for a couple of hours every day? I don't want to post a picture, but I mainly have weight on my belly and on my thighs, will a bike help me lose weight in those areas?

Huge beard and baggy, fluffy clothes.

Nevermind mate I found on out by my own. But what are some essential supplements to become Veeky Forums?

This is not a pic of me, but this girl's weight is 130lbs in both pictures - one before starting lifting, and one after a year of lifting

wow what a transformation... and definitely shows number on scales doesn't always mean the same thing. goals!!

yea bro just like jump up and down shake your hands around jiggle your belly fat this all increases your bodies rate of photosynthesis which is the way body turns fat in protein muscle

Swimming should be way better for losing weight as long as you're really putting in effort.

Ever hear how the Ironman came into being? Some run fag, cycle fag and swim fag got to arguing which is the most bad ass. So they made a race combining all 3 activities. The cycle portion is 112 miles. The run is a full marathon at 26.2 miles. The swim is 2.4 miles. These are supposed to be equally challenging activities.

Swimming can kick your ass and drain your energy because the water conducts heat. So on top of you kicking your legs and moving your arms and back and shit your body is also burning more calories to keep your core temperature up while you're doing all of this.

And yes it's much much much easier on your joints. If you're a big fat fuck run on sand ideally as it will absorb shock and keep you from shredding your ankles and knees. Grass is also much better than running on concrete or black top. But swimming and cycling are great for losing that initial weight without wrecking your body.

I actually used to be a runner but got depressed and fat again. I've just started swimming today to lose enough weight to start running and cycling again. Will aim for a half Iron Man either late this year or early next year.

I've been doing cardio in the mornings and want to start to add body weight in after work. Would you recommend /r/bodyweightfitness or startbodyweight.com for a relative beginner?

why are you modifying a tried and tested program before you've even lifted a weight?

...urm.

Keep tabs on your protein intake from normal meals and supplement with protein shakes so your protein intake is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.

I think that answers your question?

Bulk slowly and clean. 200+ calories over your tdee. Don't fuck up and get fat again.

Upboated, kind stranger.

I just got comments that I looked bigger after only 2 months. Went from ~135 auschwitz to ~150 at 5'8"

What, in your opinion, is the best starting exercise program to lost body fat? I just started Starting Strength maybe a week ago, and I keep seeing shit about people saying it's not great for slimming down.

Turning fat into muscle tones down, muscle is denser than fat and it helps you lose fat in the long run as it increases your metabolism.

same problem
just ate healthy for awhile lost about 30 pounds
then seemed to hit a wall and was much harder
to lose weight. Started going to gym lost another ten and been staying at 360 for awhile.
I hope it's because I'm gaining muscle now.

So I should be fine on SS? I'm also eating on a calorie deficit as suggested by some other anons in another thread a week or so ago, as I surely shouldn't be eating more as Rippetoe seems to suggest

This. Just eat on a calorie deficit and be cautious of what you eat, and you'll lose a bit of weight that way.

I'm looking for gear. I don't have any clothes to work out with.

I need shirts, shorts or pants? (legs are scrawny, arms are scrawny, i look like a fag.), shoes.

I'm following the instructors routine.
Should i do it? Most Veeky Forumsizens say that gym instructors are a bunch of memesters that just give you some meme routine

Light shorts.
Those stretchy shirts are really nice. Breathable and dry quickly.
If you're lifting converse or flat shoes. Running you need running shoes.

Post routine

>Can I keep doing cardio if I'm trying to put on muscle?
yes, the only draw back is that you'll have to eat more to offset the excess calories lost from said cardio. I would recommend that you start weight training now and do a slow and clean bulk (ie. don't do gomad, dont eat over 400 calories of your TDEE). SS along with supplementary calisthenics and Olympic lifts should serve well for a beginner. perfect form and flexibility before you really get into your training.

For now it hasn't been nothing serious since i started recently and he has been evaluating me. (i go early in the morning and there's no one there so he can focus enterily on me)

He said this wednesday he'll give me the routine but for now i've been doing some chest press, legs press, shoulders press, back press and squats as well as a bit of cardio.

I'm tall and skinny btw

Doing SS, did my 3rd workout on Saturday (doing GOMAD). On Saturday and Sunday my groin (left and right) was in some pain. I'm not talking DOMS, but it was pretty minor pain. Last night I finally elevated and used some ice. Woke up today and have been at 95% since. What most likely caused this? Not enough warmup, too much weight, too inflexible? I think my form is _okay_ all things considered, but I have been pushing myself pretty hard.

Also, if I want to go to the gym first thing in the morning, what should I eat before I go and how long should I wait?

Most likely flexibility or lack of.
I don't eat before the gym. If you want to, a banana with a little PB right before is golden. Get some carbs.

Question about the planks: should that also be 3 sets?

I was doing my 6th SS workout today, and I failed on the 5th rep of the first bench workset. It's strange because last time i did bench it felt great. Was this a nutritional problem and/or caused by trying to cut while doing SS?

Yeah. You'll be fine. Depending on how fat you are you might not make as many gains if you were on a surplus ofc. That said a lot of people are scared to put weight on the bar when they're on a deficit, don't think like this. You can still make great newb gains on a deficit
What's your height/weight?

Shit happens. Don't worry about it atm unless you start stalling

3 sets is standard yes. 30-60 seconds. Personally I do them till I can't hold it for 15 seconds anymore.

6'1", 207
About a 36" waist, maybe 38 with some brands
Half of my shirts are large, half are medium

Good to know. When can I expect to start seeing abs I can be proud of? I have low bf% but my abs aren't defined at all.

21 5"11 230lbs noob on a new year's resolution dedicated but lost. I'm dieting because I'm fat but my workouts suck I need a plan and routine can anyone help me

This was taken December 18 last year, so almost a month ago. I just started the diet and program a week ago, though

Abs are half genetic. If you put in serious work you might see starting definition in a few months.

Should i keep going ham on weights if im trying to lose fat. Getting mad strength gains but seems like a waste since not gaining much mass. Mass I could be gaining after I lose 20lb. Thinking of more cardio little less weights? But I don't wanna lose the decent mass I do have?