Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I want to start Muay Thai, I'm nervous as fuck.. Anyone here got any experience in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCk3THNGRpNmCsRbCaWNeWSA
youtube.com/channel/UCI5BfL5v777Is865a_E3fUw
youtube.com/channel/UC9tDOUA6AnQ7LNe3b70QwKA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've boxed for about 6 months and done BJJ for a year. Just go into it knowing you know nothing and looking to learn as much as possible. Dedicate yourself and you'll learn a lot and improve

train, train more, and if you think you've trained enough..Nope, train more, spar, practice, repeat, make sure where you're going is legit, and the people training you are legit.

Went to Koh Samui, trained and fought for 6 months.

If you have the funding and are serious about it then that is the best route, not sure about anywhere outside of Thailand. I always felt it was better to learn it at the source, best experience ever.

Where are you located?

Can I make some decent progress in a year? I said to myself that I want to get really good at something in 1 year.

UK, you?

The Thais will put you into a fight within 3 months if you are capable enough.

It depends on who's training you, and how much you train.

South Africa

Yes, if you do more than once a week consistently. You have to spend at least 3 hours a week in the gym at least to succeed in it in a year. 6 months into boxing I feel much more successful at boxing and I'm starting to spar due to dedication.

Just dedicate yourself to your craft and you'll succeed

I just started taking Muay Thai classes a week ago. Fun as hell and also very tiring
My best sdvice would be to stop being nervous and trying to get along with the other students as well, else it's gonna be pretty boring

I managed to get to see lots of fights while I was there, saw a Thai boxer do this first hand. Saw many crazy good fights.

My MMA gym offers Boxing and Mauy Thai as well as Krav alongside the Jiu Jitsu I started back in september. Which should I go for next when I feel like adding in something else once a week (I do jiu jitsu about 3-4 times a week with my lifting currently).

You don't train very hard in jiu jitsu or lift intensely then do you?

Or you're a NEET

Many foreigners fight over there also. Started to spot the Thai favorite tactic to dealing with farang(foreigners), which I like to call the "kick legs to death plan". Mine went black with bruises for two weeks, couldn't sit down either.

I do 1-2 night classes a week which are 45 minutes of technique and 45 of rolling. Sometimes I'll only get 1 night class and do the day classes which are 30 min of technique and 20 of rolling so on those days I find lifting manageable.

I switched to 5/3/1 since I find the lack of volume much easier to maintain with the intensity of jiu jitsu, before I was doing a 4 day push pull and now Im training 6 days a week, sometimes 7.

Im a full time bartender.

2 night classes a week is my goal though, and 1 day class minimum. I basically go when I can. Working in the service industry gives me a weird schedule, but I usually make it work.

Trained it for two years. Stopped because I moved and picked up weightlifting instead.

It's fun if you like being aggressive. A very useful martial art. Be prepared for pain in your shins and knees to the abdomen.

Links for those interested

youtube.com/channel/UCk3THNGRpNmCsRbCaWNeWSA

youtube.com/channel/UCI5BfL5v777Is865a_E3fUw

youtube.com/channel/UC9tDOUA6AnQ7LNe3b70QwKA

how about you get really good at 1 fighting style instead of mediocre at several of them

better start rolling the bar on your shins now OP, the faster you kill of the nerves the better

I did MT for 2 years and BJJ for 2 years. I wasn't the best at either but I was OK. What questions do you have?

kek should have started at 9 years old

At what point/belt level would you say to try and expand out and do like 1 boxing or mauy thai class a week then?

>point/belt level

That's your problem right there.

>not starting your training while still in your dads balls by having unarmed death matches with the other sperm

are you even fucking trying

this guy is right.

if you go to a mcdojo where you automatically level up every x amount of time dont assume that having a "black belt" means shit.

also no matter what fighting style the once or twice a week classes are 12 year old learning karate tier.

If you look at that way, we are all already champions.

>thinking defeating tens of millions of others is good enough

I don't want to be a champion, I want to be a god

I am Yulaw! I am nobody's bitch!

Guys i want to go too, am not autism, but how do i do this? In the locker room when changing do you talk to everyone while shakimg hands? No thats super autism but what do you do to not make it awkward,

What are you talking about? You put your shorts on and start kicking away lel

>make sure where you're going is legit, and the people training you are legit.
this is probably the most important
>train, train more, and if you think you've trained enough..Nope, train more, spar, practice, repeat
Don't get too crazy about the training op, I kind of did this when I did MMA while all I needed was lifting to gain strenght at the gym and a good cardio program to get the more resistance possible (getting exhausted during a fight feels horrible, having more resistance than your opponent is already a very nice advantage). The idea of martial arts classes are learning techniques and sparring to aply what you learnt. It's like a simulation of the real thing. They will have you doing crossfit-tier shit sometimes though.

>how do you start learning a martial art

find out if there are places near you that teaches martial arts
go there

why the fuck would you ask people in the changing rooms at a gym to teach you?

>In the locker room when changing do you talk to everyone while shakimg hands?

why the fuck would you even think this?

what the fuck was your possible train of thought to think that this would even be close to what you needed to do?

I am 23y old and want to get into martial arts. Am I too old or can I still compete at an amateur-semipro level eventually ? I have 1y boxing experience but it has been a few years since I did it. am also kinda fit I guess 1/2/3/4 for reps.

if you didnt start training when you were 6 years old then theres no point even trying.

yes you can still do it you fucking retard.

God im sick of seeing all you faggots asking "am I too old for x?" no your not too fucking old you dumb cunt.

Only proper answer

No I get that, what I mean is. If I want to learn to strike while also taking Jiu Jitsu, when is it ok to expand your learning into multiple paths?

I get that it would hinder your progress at the others, I succeed at tapping out people who have been there longer because they do the BJJ after Mauy thai when theyre tired or go to multiple throughout the week. My coach says Im well ahead of someone 5 months in but still would like to try boxing at some point down the road after a year of BJJ and doing some striking alongside it.

when you're confident you've mastered it then go on to the next thing

BJJ takes years and years to master, even black belts are still learning new things about it.

when you're confident that you're proficient in it enough to compete in matches with a degree of success then move on to the next thing