How rampant was anti-semitism in the German Empire from it's creation until it fell after WW1...

How rampant was anti-semitism in the German Empire from it's creation until it fell after WW1? Were there any Nazi-tier anti semites in those years that advocated for their death?

Other urls found in this thread:

zeit.de/1994/48/wilhelm-ii-das-beste-waere-gas/komplettansicht
vlib.us/wwi/resources/archives/texts/t050404/will.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jewish_Question
haaretz.com/.premium-ashkenazi-gene-increases-schizophrenia-1.5294333
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

D 0 0 D
A N T I - S E M I T E S
L M A O

Judenhass was the original term, 'anti-semitism' was an euphemism to give it a more academic sounding name.

ok
So how rampant was it in the German Empire?
Was Kaiser Wilhelm an anti-semite too?

The moron who coined the term apparently didn't realize there were other Semites other than Jews.

Or he thought Jews were the only Semites that mattered...

Kaiser Wilhelm was actually pretty anti Semitic, I’m not sure how extreme he was with those views though.

were there any instances of Kaiser Wilhelm showing his anti semitism around?

German Jews were assimilating fairly well and some, like Fritz Haber and Walther Rathenau, came to be important people during World War 1. If Jewish censuses are to be believed Jews also served at a higher rate than non-Jewish Germans.

But there was definitely anti-Semitism, especially as a result of the immigration of east European Jews (something that also influenced Hitler iirc) and in connection to the general hypernationalistic völkisch and pan-german movements and the conservative, Prussian elite. It's important not to stare oneself cross-eyed at German history and see some inherent evil though, France had actual anti-Semitic riots at the turn of the century in connection to the Dreyfuss case and the pogroms in Russia are on a wholly different level.

There are several sources showing Wilhelm II was an antisemite. Here is a 1994 article of Die Zeit called "The best would be gas!" attributing that title to WII
zeit.de/1994/48/wilhelm-ii-das-beste-waere-gas/komplettansicht
Wilhelm I. apparently didn't say much about that topic but blamed the resignation of his court preacher on a jewish conspiracy.

A decent article on Wilhelm II's anti-Semitism for anyone really interested

vlib.us/wwi/resources/archives/texts/t050404/will.html

Do note that the particular quote comes after the trauma of WWI, his abdication and the dissolution of the empire.

I'd say that prejudice towards jews was fairly widespread, but it was mostly low-key and usually more like "Ach der ist ja Jude" without any real negative or positive connotations, just a matter of fact statement that a jew would behave a certain way, just like a French, Pole or black person would have certain traits. That was their nature and the way people thought in those days and in Germany it was more or less the same as in other countries, maybe even less pronounced. That being said, as was the Zeitgeist, there were plenty of rampant "anti-semites" and völkisch-thinking writers, the same way there plenty of proponents of euthanasia and other theories all over the globe. It should also be noted, Germany in that period was in a euphoric upwards trend, there was no need for scapegoats as was the case in other, struggling countries or during other periods of history.

It's also worth noting that it was accepted to hate the Jews from the east (Ostjuden) but not German Jews. In fact, there was significant hatred amongst German Jews towards the Ostjuden.

If the Central Powers had won WW1 and forced stringent reparations on the West, do you think a Hitler-like figure could have arisen in Britain (perhaps Oswald Mosley) or France (especially with the Dreyfuss case in recent memory)?

Nobody really liked Jews very much anywhere in the world, they were tolerated but nowhere were they accepted as part of the native population, antisemitism only became uncool after Hitler.

>German Jews were assimilating fairly well
Then why did they start a communist revolution to destroy Germany as soon as the war was over?

Here's a fun little letter from Hindenburg to Hitler (pic related)

This, also to emphasize that "anti-Semitism" was secular rather than being based on opposition to Judaism as a religion.

As to the question, anti-Semitism definitely existed, especially on the right (though it wasn't absent from the left), but Jews were fairly successful in Germany, were more tolerated there than elsewhere in Europe, and served in the military at higher rates than the general population.

Probably, but they'd get stomped lmao

That guy was a Jew.
>The origin of "antisemitic" terminologies is found in the responses of Moritz Steinschneider to the views of Ernest Renan.
>STEINSCHNEIDER, MORITZ (1816-1907), father of modern Jewish bibliography, one of' the founders of modern Jewish scholarship.
It's comical to read shit like "Arabs are anti-Semites" nowadays, especially considering Arabs are probably more genuinely Semitic than any Jew.

They didn't.

Communism was extremely popular among non-Jewish Germans

The Jews who were "assimilating" were far, far worse than the traditional religious fanatics. The latter were just rabbis living in secluded ghettos, the former gave us the likes of Freud, Marx, Trotsky, Marcuse and Boas, destroyers of civilization.

>extremely popular
Nice hyperbole m'comrade. Social democracy was extremely popular, communism was fringe even back then.

Brainlet

My maternal grandfather was a Jew from Ukraine, Odessa, and although I recognize it's an anecdote it may be useful.

He was a shoemaker and had to deal with some bloody pogroms in his life. He recalled that mobs would storm Jewish households, looting, killing and raping the inhabitants. Sometimes troops ordered to disperse the crowds joined them instead.

He didn't get along very well with the rabbis because of his irreligiousity and rarely went to the synagogue. When the revolution happened he joined the Red Army to fight for equality, a fairer society. To him a society where it didn't matter that he was Jew, even though he was a non-believer, seemed like a utopia. He was killed by Makhno's anarchists and his wife and daughter fled to Iasi, Romania.

>Adolf Hilter

>Sometimes troops ordered to disperse the crowds joined them instead.
Based Russians

>why did people with a rich history of persecution, expulsion, forced conversions, pogroms and overall fuckery feel drawn to a political system that proposed absolute equality
Gee, I wonder.

In otherwords they weren't assimilated fairly well.

>be Jew
>join the Red Army to fight anti-Semitism
>die
>wife and children flee to Iasi, Romania
>FUCKING Iasi, Romania
>site of the most infamous anti-Semitism pogrom that wasn't orchestrated by the Nazis

Talk about shit luck

Yeah, too bad it doesn't.

>Marx

You mean the guy who said this?

"Let us consider the actual, worldly Jew – not the Sabbath Jew, as Bauer does, but the everyday Jew.

Let us not look for the secret of the Jew in his religion, but let us look for the secret of his religion in the real Jew.

What is the secular basis of Judaism? Practical need, self-interest. What is the worldly religion of the Jew? Huckstering. What is his worldly God? Money.

The Jew has emancipated himself in a Jewish manner, not only because he has acquired financial power, but also because, through him and also apart from him, money has become a world power and the practical Jewish spirit has become the practical spirit of the Christian nations. The Jews have emancipated themselves insofar as the Christians have become Jews.

In the final analysis, the emancipation of the Jews is the emancipation of mankind from Judaism.'

Well, they survived, obviously. It wasn't pretty though.

Source?

Good points. While ultimately the promise of equality and prosperity never materialized under communism I can't honestly blame Jews for trying to believe it. If I was in their shoes, I'd likely join up with the commies if they promised that I'd actually be treated like a person.

I've read that before and I'm not sure how it changes anything. Trotsky also criticized the Jews, so? He was still one.

The nose knows

It seems to prove that Jews aren't part of some Satanic hivemind, despite what certain posters here believe.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jewish_Question

Jewishness is genetic, and it carries a lot of heritable disorders causing pathological behavior, mostly as a result of severe inbreeding. They don't have to be a hivemind.

haaretz.com/.premium-ashkenazi-gene-increases-schizophrenia-1.5294333

If I were a Jew in the German Empire,would everyone hate me or will they not if I assimilate properly?

It really depends. Even Jews who converted to Christianity and were ardent supporters of the German cause were discriminated against if they couldn't hide their Jewishness. Being a Jew essentially was something genetic, a race so to speak.

Then there's the case of the Eastern Jews who hailed from the Russian Empire. They were more religious and generally backwards than German Jews, to the point they themselves were disliked by their fellow Jews.

>Oy vey my grandpa was pogromed six times at Odessa

I don't see what your issue is with user's story. Based on historical records in Europe at the time it's a pretty believable story. Jews weren't exactly well treated.

How'd they survive?

Self-hatred is part of German identity, so antisemitism was pretty natural for them since Germans are Jews and Jews are Germans

How do you hide your Jewishness?
Do you just need to stop saying Oy Vey or stop speaking yiddish?

>still being intellectually dishonest
why is Veeky Forums such a cretin filled cesspool?

Well what is Jewishness then

They mainly got away since his wife wasn't a proper Jew, she was Ukrainian. She destroyed documents of my grandfather and mother, saying they were lost when they fled the civil war in Russia. Since my grandfather wasn't really a proper Jew, it wasn't very hard to cover it up.

Forgeries. Also accents can sometimes give away I suppose, but I did hear of accounts of assimilatedJews in Germany not teaching their children Yiddish since it was considered a dirty German dialect.

>still being intellectually dishonest
>in 2018

What do you mean

Antisemitism was always extremely common until very recently. The leaders of every side in WWII would by modern standards be considered anti-Semites.

>Forgeries
As in like forged documents or items?

Documents, obviously.

>Arabs are probably more genuinely Semitic than any Jew.

No

>blamed the resignation of his court preacher on a jewish conspiracy.
was he correct?

>Turks, Armenians, Georgians, South Caucasians, and Iraians are Semites
What brainlet named these clusters? Just call them Europeans and Asiatics. It’s not that hard.