Daily remainder all those great...

Daily remainder all those great, ancient cities you read about in books were in fact the size of one district of today's medium size cities. At best.

Pic related is Carthage. I mean, really? That's all? This is the legendary Carthage?

That's Carthage during the Roman era (look at the amphitheatre) which was even bigger than Phoenician Carthage

So you're saying it was even smaller?

dont be too harsh, they were African after all

Here's Homeric Troy

>Pic related is Carthage

No it's not. It's an artist's impression of what Carthage might have looked like.

Exactly

Did you seriously think that ancient cities were the size of the ones from today? The biggest ancient cities only reached in the hundreds of thousands in population with Rome being the exception, a whopping 1 million, and the Romans could keep it clean with slave labor and advanced sewer systems.

Based on archeological studies.

Are you really this much of a double-digit moron?

wtf i hate history now.

>the year 2000 and 10 and 8
>not recognizing the difference between roman and phoenician carthage

Chang'an had 800 000+ population in 750 ad. So it must had been hundreds of thousands in ancient times too.

Yes, Roman Carthage was far bigger

No shit Sherlock.

Population was +90% rural before the industrial revolution, retard. Even as late as the 1950s most of the world's population was rural.

None of them have that aesthetic ports though.

Yes. I think i read no city reached the size of Rome until like London in the 1900s. Water and sewr were the main reasons. Rome had made the aquaduct system which helped them have enough water. Cool artistic pictures. I love them. You can actually picture how they looked.

>BEFORE DE INDUSTWIAL WEVOLUTION AND WHEN DA POPWULWATION OF ERF WAS LESS DAN 10 PERSENT OF WHAT IT IS IN DE MODERN DAY CITY WAS SMALLER
>LE MIND BWOWN

Looks pretty cool to me desu

Baghdad also reached one million

Daily reminder that we're not all Americans with 200 years of history and can visit sites of said great ancient cities and know how big/small they were.

>tfw neighbor to hippodrome

That's pretty large to cross on foot

Non daily reminder that a daily remainder is only daily if you do it daily.

>Common population definitions for a city range between 1,500 and 50,000 people, with most states using a minimum between 1,500 and 5000 inhabitants.[12][13]

>Daily reminder that a good portion of Veeky Forums actually lives in historic sites
>t. hanseatic city of over 1000 years dweller

Don't give OP any ideas.

>most cities were only inhabited by a few thousand people
>to get from Iberia to Egypt would take 6 months by ship
>there was no real medicine
>there was no science
>literature was retarded and full of stupid gods
>there were no human rights

Thank God we live in the modern era

Aqueduct

>to get from Iberia to Egypt would take 6 months by ship
haha you got me I chuckled.

Population estimates for Roman Carthage usually land around 100.000. Whilst population estimates of punic Carthage are often around 300.000. So no, Roman Carthage wasn't bigger.
Pic related, it's punic Carthage.

Yeah we both know that’s bullshit

Explain? Appian of Alexandria estimates the number of citizens present in Carthage during the siege in the third punic war to be around 360.000. now these would include some inhabitants of neighbouring villages but they would certainly not be a majority.
Also, archeological evidence suggest that the the city limits of punic Carthage extended significantly further then the limits of Roman Carthage. The drawing is based on that.

1)ancient estimations are worth zero

2)source?

Delhi's another possibility. Tremendous massacres and pillaging were carried out there by the Timurids and the materials obtained from it like turquoise were used to decorate the blue mosques of Uzbekistan.

Tbh, I don't know about the direct archeological sources on the basis of which the drawings were made. The drawings were made by French archeologist Jean-Claude Govin, he claims to have based his paintings on archeological evidence. Since his paintings appear on the Wikipedia page and more importantly, the museums in Tunis, I have taken it as fact. Both the original posters image and mine are illustrations by the aforementioned archeologist.

>Homeric Troy is estimated to have a population of around 100

Allegedly, but sources are quite divided. Baghdad was certainly the largest city on the planet at one point, but wether or not it reached one million is highly disputed. Sources the maximum extent of Rome are less divided.

How many months to get to Corsica?

Wikipedia also says that the city was only 10 hectares in the 7th century bc, which is extremely small, I doubt it went from that to 300,000 people in a couple of centuries

augmented by modern digs and surveys conducted by archaeologists. The "first urban nucleus" dating to the seventh century, in area about 10 hectares (25 acres), was apparently located on low-lying lands along the coast (north of the later harbors).

OH NO NO NO NO NO

Bremen?

For Under king David (what is it? 10th century bc?)

It's not bad

It wasn't settled until the 1500s

Why is it so unlikely that it went from a few thousand to several hundred thousand within CENTURIES? Rome experienced similar growth.

Excactly, it was colonized when the Spanish had finished researching the astronomy tech.

Chang'an had about the same size as rome at their height

probably was a bit larger outside of the walls desu wooden houses and clay shacks don't leave much archeological traces

>Bigger equates to better.

That's what your mom told me

He just did.