>Having the best gym sessions ever lately
>Got a new, well-paying respectable job
but
>losing desire to hang out with friends
>don't really socialize that much
>given up on any romantic pursuits
>watch more anime/video games/internet than I have in years
>haven't practiced my creative hobbies or read a good book in over a month

It's like now that I've really hit my best stride ever in terms of training at the gym I don't care about anything else.
Does anyone else know this feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

theminimalists.com/21days/
lmgtfy.com/?q=how long does the average american watch tv
theminimalists.com/tv/
becomingminimalist.com/watch-less/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

same

Cut out the video games, anime, movies. sell your television, or alternatively, get rid of everything you use with the tv like game consoles, and cancel the cable/satellite subcription and go with just the TV and a digital antenna, so you can at least still find out if there are any emergencies in your location via the local channels. maybe keep a blueray player without internet to prevent netflix binging.
if you aren't going to marry her, then playing mind games and going on dates are just a waste of time and money. I am kind of with you there, and I have accepted I may not ever get married within my lifetime, but if I should find a good woman, I will certainly reconsider
I went out with some "friends" a couple of weeks ago, we were eating at a small diner around 8pm, and I noticed that out of everyone in the entire place, the 3 other guys I was with were the loudest people in the building. It was honestly embarrassing. My point in sharing this with you is that most people are shallow - look for true, lasting friends, who have actual virtues and morals, rather than "bros"
>haven't practiced my creative hobbies or read a good book in over a month
am kinda with you there, but that is because my place is currently a mess as I discovered minimalism and started this journey last month. I am in the process of selling around half of my material things
/r/simpleliving
/r/minimalism
theminimalists.com/21days/

minimalism really helped me out, as it forces you to consider which of the things in your life actually add value. i just had to pull these two pictures from the archive of another board here, but check it out. its a before and after of my bedroom, I genuinely mean what I say, I'm still in the process of getting rid of what I don't need. Sell everything you have faggot, finish the work you've started on yourself. You got your body down, now its your character

You are entering cuccoon mode... don't fight it brah

Similar postition lads.

Moved up to London few years ago. Stopped lifting, then joined gym but basically half arsed it whilst maintaining.

7 months ago met qt korean girl, we get along really well and yeah.

Last month got made redundent and have been looking for another job.

Next week i have an interview for a nice job 20 mins from my parents place out in the country.

Ofc its a case of crossing the bridge when i come to it, but its really tempting to sack everything in and kinda go coccoon mode whilst i save many and lift. All my hobbies outside of lifting, reading and vidya are /out/ anyway but yeah... decisions decisions

If there are any anons who have done the same
>pls respond

>Cut out the video games, anime, movies. sell your television, or alternatively, get rid of everything you use with the tv like game consoles, and cancel the cable/satellite subcription

That's fucking retarded. Minimalism doesn't necessitate abandoning enjoyment.

What's stopping you? It's all instant gratification. When I was addicted to magic my father asked why don't you throw away the cards and it straightened me out pretty quick. You have a false value for those entertainment items and if they are all you do as your free time, you must be a boring person

I agree, but video games are a big problem IMO, as I used to be outright addicted. They give you the impression that you are having measurable progress (you get farther in the game, your character is stronger, you level up, etc), but it has no direct translation to the physical world.

I lift, I get stronger
I read a book, I learn something
I play an instrument, I get better
I play video games, ?????, no profit

Movies and and similar media aren't that bad, but desu I haven't seen any movie that seems appealing to me in the last 6 years or so, maybe I'm just getting older or something

>going on dates are a waste of time
Nigga some of us like pussy

You moved to L O N D O N and got an average Korean 3.14 gf? This is bait or you're the King of Veeky Forums.

Yeah, as you've been taught to do so by society and primitive urges

I am not suggesting you completely reject the notion of dating altogether, that is for the uber-nerds at wizardchan, mgtow, theredpill, and similar shitholes

what I am suggesting is that you not put your focus on women when you get nothing in return. guess what? she doesn't love you, and you likely don't love her if you're just looking for a quick fuck.
if you aren't in a committed relationship, then you're just wasting your time

Whatever you say bud.

It depends how you approach video games. Games for me are just a chance to chill and not have to work for a bit, like movies. Unlike movies though, they're my main means in socializing with my brother since we chat over the mic while playing. Maybe to you games don't have value, but for me they give me a chance to regularly talk with my brother and share an interest with him. I'm not gonna give that up just because a couple of anons think it's boring or pointless. And I think it's irresponsible for you to tell others to abandon hobbies just because you don't think they're productive enough. You don't have to be an ascetic monk in order to improve yourself.

Also you're both fucking retarded for trying to talk about useless and boring hobbies on Veeky Forums. How many hours do you blow on here and other websites with no benefit? Don't pretend like you're always doing something productive.

Thats a pretty faggy argument. Being better at playing guitar or quoting books isnt any more valid than being awesome at battlefield. Those are specific examples but you catch my drift. The end result or the ??? Profit as you put it is ultimately joy. If youd rather play the fiddle than farmville go for it. If youd rather play halo than read more power to you. People demonize shit like vidya and tv but as long as you stay well rounded healthy and happy it doesnt matter if you like to watch paint dry three hours a day.

>wasting my time
My dude youre still not getting it. I actually enjoy having sex with attractive women

It seems like this guy hates anything that makes you happy.

>sex is bad
>video games are bad
>sell your tv

I was looking exactly for this thread. Thanks OP.
>losing desire to hang out with friends
>dropped social media completely
>dropped using phone completely besides talking to parents and sleepbot/MFP

However anime/games/netflix isn't even enjoyable to me anymore. Nothing seems enjoyable anymore, i'm not depressed, i just realised how 99% is basically useless and just null, just chemical reactions or something that some jew made to get my chemical reactions to give him more money. However it's hard to do something productive like reading a book or studying without your brain firing dopamine every 5 seconds. I actually feel lonely sometimes but i know its my mind playing tricks, Veeky Forums isnt cutting to me anymore Veeky Forums is getting shittier by the day and Veeky Forums is getting raided by /pol/. I don't even come to Veeky Forums for advice, just to feels some feels i can relate to like this one however this board is ridden by /r9k/ feels/
I'm hitting a limbo desu, people seem so fake to me and it's very hard to find true friendships, i've grown more found of my family but i can't really identify with them.

lmgtfy.com/?q=how long does the average american watch tv

The point is that you've been told you are happy while doing these things, while your real life is passing you by. Are you truly happy watching hours upon hours of television? Are you truly happy when you plunge into a girl who is just a number, a notch in your belt? Are you happy when you spend hours into the night playing a video game?
theminimalists.com/tv/
becomingminimalist.com/watch-less/

>For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;
>Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
>Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

That's why you play Dota, there is no in game improvement, your performance is based only on your actual decision-making, awareness, and reflexes(and the game knowledge but that's useless obviously)

Movies IMO are the worst, literally 0 stimulation or engagement, basically transporting out of even having to think for their duration

You sound like me.
Except I've kept my friends and hang out with them, as they all enjoy the same hobbies.

And I'm happy about it.

Anime/videogames are more of a comfy escape when I'm at home rather than an exciting passion. Pretty much when I get home from the gym at night I just need something to fill my time before I go to sleep.
I do have good friends that I care about but I really don't reach out to them as much as I should and they've stopped inviting me as much because I usually don't go out. I have one friend that's into lifting pretty seriously so we will work out together a few times a week and I really enjoy that - desu he's one of the few people I'll get a text or call from and always be excited about it because I know he's not going to want to just smoke/drink/go out.

I don't even know what I want right now. I know that I get kind of obsessed with stuff and go through kind of intense phases. Maybe this is my really intense gym phase, although it's been like this for about a year and it's only been getting more intense.

I actually thought you had something until you brought god into this, which is basically saying "no one has any reason to listen to me"

having lots of spare money and free time seriously beats out being dragged along by other people and losing a lot of cash doing shit you'd rather not do.

No bait pls help

this is the point ^ right here, that I am trying to make
> i just realised how 99% is basically useless and just null, just chemical reactions or something that some jew made to get my chemical reactions to give him more money.

The media is an escape from reality, you are accepting manufactured experiences in lieu of the real thing, and your life is passing you by.

Also user, you are lonely, that is not your mind playing tricks on you. You've finally woken up. It only gets harder from this point, but I would rather be in touch with my humanity than to be a blind man. Don't believe me? Go take a walk, anywhere, and I genuinely mean fucking anywhere. Watch how many people are staring down at their phones. Go to a restaurant? They are staring down at their phones, not even aware of each other.

Either that, or they are seriously misguided and confused due to the media, like how everyone is some non-cis individual who as ascended the need of gender definitions and now defines xis/xer self as a blimp

How does this obsession works? What are the mechanisms that makes your phases get more intense with time? I'm basically in the same boat as you with buddhism/gym/studying but not as intense, ,my tdah fucks me up and i'm trying to not quit because i know that while smoking weed and hanging out all day every day is not going to do me good even in the short term since i know the true joy is only in self improvement

i become hella nihilistic the healthier i am. the happier i am, the less i feel like i need to pursue anyhting to get happy.

>still thinking minimalism is inherently opposed to tv and video games

Fucking hell, you barely understand your own philosophy you dipshit

Say whatever you want, but you will walk away knowing you aren't any better. Even as a totally secular person, even you recognized that I did "have something", so enjoy literally wasting your life away

>Now THIS is living!

Rofl I have my own philosophies that are 10x as strong and fulfilling as anything you've posted in this thread, I don't need sad god shit to figure out the correct course

>you barely understand your own philosophy

No, you simply disagree with the way I personally live my life. There is not one end all be all to minimalism, so you are right, you don't HAVE to stop playing games, but you should. Why? I have already shown you, you are buying into fake experiences, they aren't yours.

>Freedom from the trappings of the consumer culture we’ve built our lives around.
>Today’s problem seems to be the meaning we assign to our stuff: we tend to give too much meaning to our things, often forsaking our health, our relationships, our passions, our personal growth, and our desire to contribute beyond ourselves

If I start playing a game right now, will I suddenly explode? No, of course not - but that is time you will never get back. If I had known this years ago, I would have done things much differently.
So am I projecting my own opinions here? To an extent. Is it untrue to say that most people are glued to their phones? That media overrules them? That the television dictates their own lives, rather than themselves?
That at a certain point the dopamine rush from video games just isn't cutting it, so you play longer and longer?

>I don't need sad god shit to figure out the correct course

but you have already shown you do, in that you follow the incorrect course

>How does this obsession works? What are the mechanisms that makes your phases get more intense with time?

I don't really know. It's completely random stuff. Sometimes it'll be a band/musician, painting miniature figures, mountain biking, cooking a certain kind of dish - whatever. I'll take an interest in it and then want to learn all there is and get really good at it then I usually get burned out on it.

However lifting/being fit has not burned out at all and is only getting more intense. I feel like I can't stop because I don't want to see my progress slip away - it feels way more personal than other things I've been really into.

>it feels way more personal than other things I've been really into

because it is. the other things are external, this is something which directly affects you

>you are buying into fake experiences
How is it a "fake" experience? It is an experience as any other.

>but that is time you will never get back
All that you do is time you'll never get back. One day there'll be no more time to lose, and all that you have done, all that you have learned, all your "real" and "fake" experiences will be gone.

Not that there is anything particularly wrong with your philosophy. For a quasi-Nihilist like myself, however, it seems a bit asinine to try to appeal to what is "real"

I could stand in a forest, starring at a tree for hours. That will be time I'll never get back, yet I assume that is something you would label a "real" experience?

your movie taste is shit then

>No, you simply disagree with the way I personally live my life.

You're the one telling me I need to give up hobbies, not the other way around. Jesus you are dumb. Case in point:

>you don't HAVE to stop playing games, but you should

Yet only people who invest hundreds of hours in the game play at the top elo, any random intelligent person with good reflexes etc would need to actually practice to get anyway decent. And you need the game knowledge to have any idea of what you're supposed to do, there is no rote "decision making" involved in knowing what hero should be played in what lane and with what items, how to play matchups, how objectives should be pursued and when. Face it, your hobby is just improving your ability to play MOBA

Hobby: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

video games aren't real, therefore they can't be considered an activity or interest for relaxation

I'm just shitposting now though

Yes, I get it, but I stand by what I've said. I played games quite a bit man. Hundreds of hours on steam. 3k ranked and social, 7k custom games on Halo 3. 1 month, 29 days playtime on MW2 online. I could go on. I know you'll likely disagree now, but there is a point where you'll look back and say, what was I thinking?

A hobby is usually does not improve abilities that are separate from that hobby. Even then, improving isn't necessarily the point of the hobby

>video games aren't real
wut

if video games aren't real then how can i be real

>but there is a point where you'll look back and say, what was I thinking?
That's quite an ignorant and pretentious statement to make, oh wise one.

Not everyone will come to the same conclusions as you. Because you have experienced something and come upon a conclusion, does not mean that others will share that sentiment when they experience the same. Their conclusion will be as valid as yours

i have my life in order and all i wanna do is chill with my cat and play vidya/read/write/lift.

>video games aren't real
Wow

Try to go out like 2-3 times a week with people, including the weekend.

Don't need to be there for the whole fucking day but just enjoy the time you spend with others and enjoy the time you spend to yourself.

You might want to ask yourself why the size of your muscles and monthly paycheck is more important to you than other human beings that you're close to.

Because 'other human beings' are utter trash and aren't good for much?

Why do you believe that?

What experiences have you had?

hmmm. well what about your gf, would you sack her too?

My uncle raped me on a biweekly basis for 10 years...

I'm sorry to hear than user. I can't even begin to imagine how that has affected you.

However, not all people are terrible.

gay
extra gay that he had a schedule.

Just life in general
I don't know where you live that your experience of the average person isn't that they're a complete piece of shit

Potentially... there would be a 2hr journey between us and she works irregular hours. I'd prefer not too but the logisitics seem a bit tricky.

Ive been unemployed for 1.5 months now and my redundancy package isbt going to last forever.

She is an actress, semi pro i guess. In my head i figured that if she was offered a part for a year long run at a theatre outside of London, she'd be crazy to take me over that ya get me.

Cheers m8

THIS GUY RIGHT HERE GETS IT.

Vidya games and all the bullshit media we have at our disposal are terrible time sinks. I stopped video games about 4 years ago because it's just SUCH A WASTE of time.

As far as visual media, I only watch maybe 5-7 seasons of shows per year that are A+ series (Game of Thrones, HoC, Better Call Saul, and a few others). I don't think cutting out movies and television completely is necessary as long as you do it in moderation. 3 to 5 hours a week at most.

I also agree that after awhile, pussy loses its value. I've been in over a dozen relationships (and one failed marriage) in my life and at this point I've fucked enough partners to realize that I want the next person I get into a relationship with to be successful marriage material. I'm even willing to wait until marriage to have sex again if it means landing a successful, in-shape partner.

I am a month into No Porn and have felt really good not having to look at hardcore porn to be able to orgasm. I'm only jacking off like, 2 times a week now and it only takes about 2-3 minutes to orgasm, and when I do it is fucking AMAZING.

I'm only socializing with people who have their shit together. I've found numerous productive people at my job, at college (I went back to college at 30 to go for a Graduate/Doctorate in therapy methods) and at a church I started going to a few months ago.

I make music constantly and enjoy writing.

I workout 3-4 times a week and have finally been on a good diet for the past month and a half. I'm 6ft1 and below 210 pounds for the first time in three years with 180 being my goal. I had crap eating habits and was not working out enough.

I only own things that I use on a consistent basis. If I don't use it, it's sold.

M E D I T A T E

I'm not entirely sure what it is but since I've started getting more into lifting (~8 months in) my sex drive has dropped significantly.

I'm not sure if it's just me taxing myself and spending the energy I would have otherwise spent on girls but damn. I get girls messaging me to hook up and I just ignore them these days.

Then what is even the point of life if you aren't enjoying what time you have on this planet. Sure I get what you're saying to an extent but what's next if you have skills and you've read all the books? Death?

That guy hasn't really stopped to think his philosophy through. I think he made in a response to his own video game addiction. So it's centered around his bias towards video games, but he does not realize all the other things he would then have to condemn as well

which is before and which is after, dont' see much improvement

Anybody seen that Frank yang vid where he talks about how he thinks BB/strength training is becoming more popular due to an unconscious desire to create something direct and physical due to people living thier lives predominantly indirectly / via media?

Its an interesting concept.

As for vidya / tv.. all in moderation. I don't watch tv but I spend an hour - hour and a half most evenings playing bf4 with a mate. Yea I could spend that time reading or painting or whatever but its not time wasted.

yeah but still no gf

you must be a higher being m8, christ

I'd reevaluate which games you actually get real measurable enjoyment out of and which ones are just timekillers and downsize your collection accordingly.

How are you guys on here socially?

Are most of you extroverts or introverts?

What is your current social situation/environment?

Do you like or not like most others people?

>"Introvert" doesn't mean shy/socially retarded.

Don't worry, user, if that continues you'll soon be too jaded to care.

Ain't life grand

I think the point is less about not having these hobbies and more about not using these hobbies as a form of isolation. I watch a lot of movies and play a fair deal of vidya, but I have friends who I hang out with while we do that, and we enjoy discussing them sometimes. As far as the sex thing you're just plain wrong though. Pussy feels good on dick and it can't be debated.

Sounds like you're focussing on the wrong things

Being sociable and building relationships is more important than physical fitness. You clearly are unable to strive in both areas so you chose fitness

>I'm just shitposting now though

You've been shitposting the whole time. Yfw spouting this faux intellectual bullcrap.

I'm introverted, sociable and like most people. I'm Christian so very forgiving/loving etc.

But to be fair the introvert-extravert dichotomy is not an accurate classification of people. Rather use the Big 5 Personality traits

>How are you guys on here socially?

I can talk to mostly everyone, except females I consider attractive. I apparently have decent charisma, because most people end up liking me if we talk long enough, but then

>Are most of you extroverts or introverts?

Fucks me up, because I'm a pretty large introvert. I'm almost school shooter mode at the gym, and I don't really care to go out of my way to talk to people, unless it is needed.

>What is your current social situation/environment

Close friends from HS, their friends, and people I play games with online are the only people I really talk to. I feel inadequate compared to everyone else, since I'm a recovering fatty with shit self esteem, so I avoid new people/girls in general

>Do you like or not like most others people?

I tend to not like most other people. It might just be autism from browsing Veeky Forums so much, but I've started viewing everyone as unfathomably stupid unless proven otherwise. I am also not very good at "breaking the ice" unless it's a common interest, like lifting, video games, book series, movies, etc.

I was only shitposting in regards to the video games aren't real comment

but now you are just showing blatant denial. you going to pretend that actual accumulated days and months of our lives spent on TV and other similar mind-numbing media is a good thing? It is literally your loss then, not even having to bullshit about that

thank you, and I am glad someone else has found this

>Their conclusion will be as valid as yours
I know at this point much of this is subjective, but are we really going to pretend that pic related is indicative of a great life?
Is a life spent behind a screen a fulfilling one, one you can look back on with satisfaction?

>but are we really going to pretend that pic related is indicative of a great life?
People who play video games and the pic you posted have nothing in common. The picture says nothing about what consuming the media of vidya will do to you.

And yes, I am sure some would be able to look back on a life spent behind a screen with relish (rare though they may be)

Video games themselves aren't inherently good or bad. That you play video games says nothing about you other than that fact. That you play video games will not ensure regret. If the moments spent playing video games makes you happy, who are you to say it's a foolish endeavor? Your position is hyperbolic and I find it to not be throughly thought out

That is not to say I don't find some noble thought behind your philosophy. If more people considered your stance, perhaps we'd be better off in this world

>but now you are just showing blatant denial. you going to pretend that actual accumulated days and months of our lives spent on TV and other similar mind-numbing media is a good thing? It is literally your loss then, not even having to bullshit about that

So you say while spending hours on Veeky Forums.

>Either that, or they are seriously misguided and confused due to the media, like how everyone is some non-cis individual who as ascended the need of gender definitions and now defines xis/xer self as a blimp
I really think if they used different terms people like you wouldn't get so butthurt about others actions.
Do you think one man can be more feminine than other men?
Then holy fuck you believe in the basis of there being more than one 'gender', it doesn't mean what's between your legs just your mindset really.
Can you honestly tell me you have never met a man or woman who had the mindset of the other gender?
>TLDR; Xer is a fucking stupid word and the only people who stare at their phones constantly are shitty people, if anything it lets you filter our people so be glad

>meet qt and have a convo
>so, what are your hobbies?
>I get better every day at dota

While you can be talking about movies which is a good topic to talk about and everybody watches movies

I agree with you but more that like videogames don't give you nothing is "passive hobbies".

As passive hobbies I mean about hobbies that doesn't make you improve in anything, you don't improve a skillset or get more knowledgeable in something useful.

Now, passive hobbies are fun but making them you only hobbies is a waste of time. Learn to program, learn to draw, learn a language, hell learn how to make better sex. Learn anything that makes you improve like a human being and give you a skillset.

you misunderstanding something. Learning an instrument is learning art, music is an expression of your inner soul and a impressive skillset that not many people get.

"quoting books" is retarded. Memorizing a book doesn't mean that you learn something or if you enjoyed it. It only means that you read it.

Truth here, my brother and I live on opposite sides of the globe so we chill on Skype and play Diablo 2 together.

Honestly, simply unplugging your TV and putting it in a basement closet some place can do wonders. You really can't understand or appreciate how much time you have each day until you stop losing that time to television.

This about the shallow friends. My friends are the most shallow people ever. As much as I love them, I want to find better friends but I'm pretty bad at making friends because of my inability to make small talk so I stay with them even though I hate them most of the time.

>I only watch maybe 5-7 seasons of shows per year that are A+ series (Game of Thrones, HoC, Better Call Saul, and a few others)
If you are just going to watch junk you might as well play video games, as much as I hate them, at least they make you participate.

what's wrong with instant gratification? is being entertained not enough? love how smug people get about removing enjoyable things from their lives